Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

15 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

He climbed to #25 in the composite (in August) before he started playing real games and plummeting in the rankings.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Haynes-King-at-Longview-218767/RecruitRankHistory/

Ha. That means that dude was a composite 5 star for more than 2 months. Wow. That's like having Case McCoy as a 5 star. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, King was absolutely ranked as a 5 star by at least one service, if not the composite, the summer before his senior year. He plummeted like a rock during his senior year, but it was a mindblowing thing to watch on the recruiting side when he was being lauded due to some stupid fucking camp.

Composite:

image.thumb.png.14f0679c5736de842c43957d9c493f4a.png

247 only:

image.thumb.png.42d1ba3113f4cbbcb30085b2413aa56f.png

King had very limited playing time last season thanks to getting injured against Colorado.   But in the one complete game against Kent State  and the time he played against Colorado,  you could very well tell he wasn't going to be the future aggy was going to  want to hook their trailer too.    You can tell which QB's have the "it"  factor and which ones don't, even if they make rookie mistakes in their first game or two.  If some us arm chair QB's can see this, certainly the QB whisper and others in Collie Station should have too.  

I always equate it to "jus primae noctis" but in hillbilly terms.  We'll crank out so many alums that we'll dominate the state by brute force/breeding

This is correct. They are like locust. You can’t swing a dead cat here in austin without hitting a century club member. Houston is a million times worse.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

Composite:

image.thumb.png.14f0679c5736de842c43957d9c493f4a.png

247 only:

image.thumb.png.42d1ba3113f4cbbcb30085b2413aa56f.png

So he signed as a 4-star? I never knew he'd ever gotten to 5-star status because by the time I started paying attention to him, he was sucking balls in his senior year at L'view.

12 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That pretty much confirms many of these rating services are suspect.    They fail in many areas with consistency.  

They're trying to rate thousands of kids across the country playing against competition that is extremely difficult to compare to other regions/classifications. You're going to miss on lot of evaluations. I would point to the studies that show teams that get the highest proportion of 4/5 stars tend to be the elite of the elite college football programs. That means something.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, C-Man said:

So he signed as a 4-star? I never knew he'd ever gotten to 5-star status because by the time I started paying attention to him, he was sucking balls in his senior year at L'view.

They're trying to rate thousands of kids across the country playing against competition that is extremely difficult to compare to other regions/classifications. You're going to miss on lot of evaluations. I would point to the studies that show teams that get the highest proportion of 4/5 stars tend to be the elite of the elite college football programs. That means something.

L’View or The View.  Pick one and stick with it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Getting back to football, I may the only one here who feels like aggy is going to beat Miami this weekend.  Cristobal is a moron, a&m is desperate already, night game on the road for Miami, gives a&m the false hope to say "if we win out after that fluke loss to a way underrated App State team...", and Cristobal is a moron.  I'm thinking 20-14 a&m

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That's a valid point.   I guess I'm comparing him to some of the misses we've had who had the stars at different positions.    But then again some of that was due to our coaching the better half of the last decade and some change.    Like Garret Gilbert who did OK at SMU.   It would be cool if  the recruiting services would follow  each player they rank through their college career to see how they stacked up and assign a hit or miss or somewhere in between with how they ended up compared to their stars. 

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That's a valid point.   I guess I'm comparing him to some of the misses we've had who had the stars at different positions.    But then again some of that was due to our coaching the better half of the last decade and some change.    Like Garret Gilbert who did OK at SMU.   It would be cool if  the recruiting services would follow  each player they rank through their college career to see how they stacked up and assign a hit or miss or somewhere in between with how they ended up compared to their stars. 

Well, Mack always had the stigma of not making players better fair or not. But man could he collect talent until 2009/2010. I don't think he and GD had much to do with Vince's development for instance. And he completely neglected OL recruiting for the second half of his tenure in Austin.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, King was absolutely ranked as a 5 star by at least one service, if not the composite, the summer before his senior year. He plummeted like a rock during his senior year, but it was a mindblowing thing to watch on the recruiting side when he was being lauded due to some stupid fucking camp.

Yep, as the following shows, he shot up the rankings after the summer circuit, and then went out and played his SR. year to really shitty results. Nearly half the yards, half the TDs, and double the INT between his Jr and Sr. seasons.

He peaked at #25 overall in the composite, easily a 5 star, before plummeting to #130 overall, still too high, in the final rankings. 

Shit, his composite rankings almost mirror exactly the aggy rollercoaster.

king.PNG

Edited by HtownHorn

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Well, Mack always had the stigma of not making players better fair or not. But man could he collect talent until 2009/2010. I don't think he and GD had much to do with Vince's development for instance. And he completely neglected OL recruiting for the second half of his tenure in Austin.

If Vince didn't improvise, the Mack/ GD era would have been much different.   Colt did the same.    We did much better with our recruits becoming something while in Austin and beyond, especially on Defense.    Mack pretty much let the Defensive coaching staff do their own thing, but screwed up not trying to keep them  especially after the 2005 title run and then when Coach Boom left .  Not so much the Greg Robinson's,  Gene Chizik's.... but their top assistants on their D staffs.   We only really felt the impact as those players on the two deeps started graduating or leaving for the NFL.  That's why Manny Diaz crashed and burned when his influence on the D was on full display.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Why would you eat a cheeseburger at a place that has even moderate Tex Mex?  Does not compute. 

Because it's better than most of their offerings. And because I ate there a billion times growing up.

They used to do these disgustingly greasy kind of half-breaded fries that when dipped in queso were fairly transformative. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, I knew some guys who were taken to a Tex-Mex restaurant in Rochester, MN on a business trip. They said anyone who says they've ever had truly bad Tex-Mex in Austin should shut up and try doing that just once. 

Ever eat at Taco John's?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, I knew some guys who were taken to a Tex-Mex restaurant in Rochester, MN on a business trip. They said anyone who says they've ever had truly bad Tex-Mex in Austin should shut up and try doing that just once. 

Christ. This hits close to my nightmares. I was in London and a British coworker invites me to lunch to go over some stuff. We walk over to this place and we’re talking, so I wasn’t paying attention until we walk in. “Hey man, what is this? “ “Oh, it’s a tex mex place. I figured you’d love it. “ We walked out immediately and got pub food. Nope. 

This summer, on day 13 of a road trip, I finally gave in and broke the rule I have about not eating tex mex anywhere north of Dallas. I took my family into a “tex mex” restaurant in Sioux City, South Dakota. Holy fucking shit. I had a 6 year old cussing at me about how terrible it was by the time we walked out of that place. The worst tex mex in Texas is better than you’re going to find it in most of the rest of the world. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Christ. This hits close to my nightmares. I was in London and a British coworker invites me to lunch to go over some stuff. We walk over to this place and we’re talking, so I wasn’t paying attention until we walk in. “Hey man, what is this? “ “Oh, it’s a tex mex place. I figured you’d love it. “ We walked out immediately and got pub food. Nope. 

This summer, on day 13 of a road trip, I finally gave in and broke the rule I have about not eating tex mex anywhere north of Dallas. I took my family into a “tex mex” restaurant in Sioux City, South Dakota. Holy fucking shit. I had a 6 year old cussing at me about how terrible it was by the time we walked out of that place. The worst tex mex in Texas is better than you’re going to find it in most of the rest of the world. 

This is a good rule. Worst ever is Tortilla Factory in Harrisburg. Disgusting. HomeState in LA is ok, but that’s an exception.

It seethes my soul when I see New Yorkers or Californians act like they know good BBQ or Tex-Mex.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Was in St. Louis a few years ago staying with relatives on my wife's side of the family.  They took us to this "tex mex" restaurant that they said they've been going to for 25 years two to three times a week and that they loved it.  It was the worst "tex mex" I've ever had, few bites and I was done.

12 minutes ago, Sal said:

This is a good rule. Worst ever is Tortilla Factory in Harrisburg. Disgusting. HomeState in LA is ok, but that’s an exception.

It seethes my soul when I see New Yorkers or Californians act like they know good BBQ or Tex-Mex.

If you live outside of Texas and can find servicable bbq and tex-mex consider yourself lucky.  I’m in the process of moving, and I’m not sure I would’ve signed off on the move without those two things already identified.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Why would you eat a cheeseburger at a place that has even moderate Tex Mex?  Does not compute. 

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Tex Mex places usually make a sneaky good burger.

1 hour ago, 89Horn said:

Yep.  This is the answer.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. But if I can eat Tex Mex I will always eat Tex Mex, when I go to a Tex Mex place. His answer made sense. He was going there (all the time) as a kid so probably not by choice. 

+whatever on the burgers at Tex-Mex places, almost always quite-good to excellent.  As to why?  I eat Tex-Mex all the time, I can get it any time I want.  Sometimes I just want a good burger.

Gringo breakfast at Tex-Mex places is similarly tasty.  Maybe something about a well-seasoned flattop? 

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’ll raise you Tex-Mex in Vermillion SD or LaCrosse WI…

I had some pretty decent Tex-Mex in Canton, Ohio one time. The entire hole in the wall restaurant and staff seemed like it was teleported out of the San Antonio Southside.

john travolta GIF