Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

There is no real advantage to naming someone officially until the end of the season. It's not like they are going to install the offense mid season. If I am Jimbo, I tell the OC that he can bring in an entire new staff with him. Brady currently is making 1 million per season, if Jimbo gets stupid and throws 3 or 4 mil per year plus lets him fill out his staff with a bunch of recruiters, then I could see it happening. This is what Jimbo SHOULD do, regardless of hire. But, if he is intent on keeping his bagmen in place then it could gum up the works. 

Recruiting...retaining...recruiting... If they are going to do it (I don't think Jimbo will), there is definitely a huge reason to do it now.

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

17 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Joe Brady will be interviewing for NFL head coaching jobs in the off-season. 

I don't understand how aggy thinks this is going to work.

A&M has an offensive coordinator already...but the offense is Jimbo's, Jimbo calls the plays and Jimbo is running the offense.   So it is not about hiring an offensive coordinator, it is about Jimbo giving up control of the offense, not calling plays and not having it be his offense.

Aggy intends to make this happening by applying all of the pressure to Jimbo they can by asking "pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty please!" as often as they can.

And even if he makes a change (which I don't believe), the guy coming in has to know that Jimbo will not be able to keep himself away from the offense and at the first sign of something not working will look to take full control back.   So what top level coach is going to want that job/role?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

A&M has an offensive coordinator already...but the offense is Jimbo's, Jimbo calls the plays and Jimbo is running the offense.   So it is not about hiring an offensive coordinator, it is about Jimbo giving up control of the offense, not calling plays and not having it be his offense.

Aggy intends to make this happening by applying all of the pressure to Jimbo they can by asking "pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty please!" as often as they can.

And even if he makes a change (which I don't believe), the guy coming in has to know that Jimbo will not be able to keep himself away from the offense and at the first sign of something not working will look to take full control back.   So what top level coach is going to want that job/role?

Jimbo makes $10m a year because he's a OC and HC all rolled into one! He's a genius! Let's put nothing in his contract that gives us any out because he's such a sure thing! Also, Jimbo, we're gonna need you to stop doing the one thing you're supposed to be good at because you actually suck at it. And we're gonna need to money whip some other person to come in and be OC, even though they're just going to end up being mircomanaged by you anyway. Whoop!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

I think this is very succinct. 

I will add that the Aggies keep harping on "play-calling." Some codemn the offensive scheme as "too complicated."

Complaining about "play-calling" is akin to calling for the second string QB. There is an assumption that some simple adjustment is all that stands between an anemic offense and a juggernaut. Of course, they're both shallow analyses. They don't recognize the likelihood that there is no simple answer.

Only a complete gutting of the offensive staff that is replaced by a new OC and his people offers correction. This means Jimbo repudiating his own offense, admitting he was absolutely wrong everytime he defended his actions, and keeping his hands off the offense in favor of the new guy.

I don't think Jimbo or many head coaches as secure as he is in his job would consent to such a thorough surrendering of those responsibilities.

Edid: I see Pam Cummings was faster and more amusing than my post. Compliments.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Recruiting...retaining...recruiting... If they are going to do it (I don't think Jimbo will), there is definitely a huge reason to do it now.

I like the approach aggy always runs to...  Throw more money at the problem, that fixes it every time... 

Maybe instead of throwing another four million a year on an OC  and filling the rest of the staff with recruiters, maybe aggy should look at their head honcho coach that has proven as effective as the last 5 - 10 head coaches and then figure out why they are stuck with a coach they can't get rid of him without spending every dime of the next three year's worth of NIL/bag fund.

But first, they will have to figure out that the OC isn't the problem, because the system they run is Jimbo's system....  Higher price doesn't automatically mean higher quality.  Face it aggy, you bought a used pinto for the price the price of a new Tundra and now you are upside down in and can't trade it in for the next 7 or 8 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I think this is very succinct. 

I will add that the Aggies keep harping on "play-calling." Some codemn the offensive scheme as "too complicated."

Complaining about "play-calling" is akin to calling for the second string QB. There is an assumption that some simple adjustment is all that stands between an anemic offense and a juggernaut. Of course, they're both shallow analyses. They don't recognize the likelihood that there is no simple answer.

Only a complete gutting of the offensive staff that is replaced by a new OC and his people offers correction. This means Jimbo repudiating his own offense, admitting he was absolutely wrong everytime he defended his actions, and keeping his hands off the offense in favor of the new guy.

I don't think Jimbo or many head coaches as secure as he is in his job would consent to such a thorough surrendering of those responsibilities.

Edid: I see Pam Cummings was faster and more amusing than my post. Compliments.

I think 365 sports made a good point .  They pointed out Jimbo's recruiting habits. What they said reminded me of Mac's last year's.  Going for as many highest ranked players and not the type of player with the skill sets needed for the system.   Like Brown wanting to convert to the pound and ground Alabama type offense back then with small Linemen, no TE's to speak of, WRs that only sucked at blocking more than they did at catching...

Another thing they pointed out about aggy is another thing that bit us and had a lot to do with our culture change back then was bringing in a ton of talented, highly ranked players that have O ties or loyalty to the program.  It's hard to make a team bleed burnt orange when the bulk of the team and or the team leaders never gave two shits about the school either way, especially when things head south. Or in our case, were already at the bottom of the barrel, and all the veteran players have already checked out when the new freshmen class joins the team each year. Classes full of talented players that aren't necessarily burnt orange through and through.... We probably would've recovered much faster if we would've dumped the entire team when it was painfully obvious there was a cancer within the program and started fresh with a bunch of 2-3-4* freshmen players that grew up eating and breathing burnt orange, players who would run through a brick wall or crawl through broken glass for the team before rolling over for anyone, much less OU.  

I remember too many  highly ranked WRs who could torch any D, but couldn't catch a ball if someone sat it in their hands... No one willing or able to run the slant.   RBs who couldn't block for fuck in a pass first offense. 

Linebackers that were extremely talented at running themselves out of the play in the backfield as the QB was handing the ball off. Missed tackles my ass, the RB and QB frozen just standing there with the deer in the headlights look without even trying to move, just bracing for the impact,while our linebackers would run right past.

Linemen that were good in school because they played 2A ball weighing 260 lbs against opponents that  typically averaged 170-180.

Hopefully we learned from our mistakes and aggy keeps doing what they've always done.  Keep throwing money to fix everything without knowing or at least admitting where the root of the problem begins.  I hope they are in a complete freefall and still stuck with Jimbo the year we start SEC play.  Either way, I have a feeling they are going to have the same culture killing cancer we had when Mac left, by the time they finally can rid themselves of Jimbo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I’ve always assumed it’s like the scene in napoleon dynamite where he drinks the milk and correctly deduces that the cow got into an onion patch and all the old rednecks nod approvingly and write in their notebooks.

The defect in this one is aggy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

Dear Whataburger…this is NOT considered a prize. ..  

now the Aggie tears 😭 after are a gift to all.  

image.thumb.png.a4c0d79ea34097c783206e364d533fb5.png

"Dear Whataburger, I will not be purchasing anything from you until after November 16th. I'd rather win a bad case of food poisoning from you than those tickets."

That great pumpkin article...

Traditionally, the company would hold an apple bobbing contest amongst the freshmen and whoever turned up empty handed had to be wrapped with a white sheet, have a carved out pumpkin on his head and run through a gauntlet of upperclassmen with a flaming broom.

“It was just a fun diversion for kids our age to do,” Cherry said. “They were always looking for wild and crazy things, and I guess they still do it now.”

quentin tarantino dorks GIF

Angelica Gammon, Class of 1982, was an editor for The Battalion in 1981 when she wrote an editorial over the dangers of the tradition.

“I thought it was absurd at a school of higher education we bashed a pumpkin in on the heads of the underclassmen with an ax handle,” Gammon said.

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2022 at 9:44 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

I’ve always thought that a well-done film documentary on Texas AM would be hugely successful. It would be hilarious, mystifying, stunning, terrifying. And it wouldn’t be difficult - it writes itself. I am 45 and grew up 70 miles from college station and I am still surprised, amused, astounded and horrified by the bizarre shit that they do and the pride they take in it.

Documentary you say: 

https://texags.com/t/12811/on-an-island

close enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1