• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This is the kind of stuff aggie needs to focus on, instead of wasting 100’s of millions on football. stay in your lane aggie  …

I still can't believe the state agency responsible for wildland fires and managing state lands is allowed to be called the Texas A&M Forest Service instead of, you know, the Texas Forest Service. In addition to wildland fires, this group of aggys has significant responsibilities for managing other kinds of disasters across the state. Think about that for a second or two. And, of course, on their website, they brag about being headquartered in College Station instead of Austin. 

Vice+Chancellor+and+Dean+for+Agriculture+%26+Life+Sciences.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

super-troopers-favre.gif

image.png.8f1e66de6cebfd4dec773d7844a1478e.png

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

You sir, get an A+ for reading between the lines.

"Hey mate...what is the heroin situation here in Texas?'  Brought the shit back in immaculate condition and asked for directions to San Antonio."

Saw that first hand. No f*cking way. I was into "Just say no!" way before Nancy.  Pulp Fiction gives me chills.

Good times, growing up 60's. Blessed to grow up with my guitar playing ('68 Gold Top) older brother and varsity cheer leader older sister.  Drugs (light, not heavy), sex (too young, or dumb, to know better, but the endless parade of bouncing high beams), and the Music (LZ in '69, Santana in '70, The Who in '71, Stones in '72, etc.)   Some of the organizers of the "Feast" worked at the commissary on Bergstrom, food galore!!! I think the "Screaming Yellow Zonkers" came from someplace else. 

I remember squeezing into a VW bus with the older kids and going to the "pep rally" for the 69' Texas-Arkansas game.  Most people I'd ever seen at one time.  I knew I was going to Texas.

Time for Texas Football to come full circle for me, back in Austin, where it started.

wayne's-world-party.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I still can't believe the state agency responsible for wildland fires and managing state lands is allowed to be called the Texas A&M Forest Service instead of, you know, the Texas Forest Service. In addition to wildland fires, this group of aggys has significant responsibilities for managing other kinds of disasters across the state. Think about that for a second or two. And, of course, on their website, they brag about being headquartered in College Station instead of Austin. 

Don't they just rake the forests? Not very flashy.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Of course the name changes were done because the UIL is run by UT. Nothing in the name of the UIL would indicate so, and Texas doesn't manipulate the UIL in any way, but the people who run Texas A&M have always had Tiny Dick Syndrome and just have to show people how tough, powerful, and manly they are.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Of course the name changes were done because the UIL is run by UT. Nothing in the name of the UIL would indicate so, and Texas doesn't manipulate the UIL in any way, but the people who run Texas A&M have always had Tiny Dick Syndrome and just have to show people how tough, powerful, and manly they are.

This 100%. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm sure the people of Bastrop are glad they were in charge

I just can't believe we have a state agency responsible for disaster training and response across the state (and with coordinating with the feds and other states) reporting to a college dean and a university chancellor. WTF?

Here's what's going to happen: eventually there will be a disaster with an overwhelmingly bad outcome attributable in no small part to the organization and culture of the agency. It will then be reformed and removed from aggy. This is the bonfire stack writ large--it just hasn't collapsed yet.

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Man, I had no idea that was the impetus behind them playing here.  I've searched their tour history on many occasions.  But that's a background I did not know.  

I knew some guys that worked at Strait Music in the 80's but I'd love to hear the stories from their older bosses.  "So this guy comes in with a British accent.  I kinda recognized him from a Yardbirds record cover.  He's fiddling around with a Les Paul we have while the other manager is pulling some stacks from the back because this bigger fella named Peter told him to while counting a bundle of cash.  Anyway the skinny guitarist smiles and thanks us for the Marshalls and quietly asks me, 'Hey mate...what is the pre-teen girl situation here in Texas?'  Brought the shit back in immaculate condition and asked for directions to San Antonio." 

FIFY

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

I just can't believe we have a state agency responsible for disaster training and response across the state (and with coordinating with the feds and other states) reporting to a college dean and a university chancellor. WTF?

Here's what's going to happen: eventually there will be a disaster with an overwhelmingly bad outcome attributable in no small part to the organization and culture of the agency. It will then be reformed and removed from aggy. This is the bonfire stack writ large--it just hasn't collapsed yet.

not sure if it still happens - the aggie mba houston program spends a weekend at aggie ‘disaster city’ as a kick off before starting the program. They go through disaster drills and scenarios. Per a friend of mine, people were traumatized, puking from smoke and running hoses up flights of stairs. Lot, lot of people crying  😂😂😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

We think "we're back"? How will we know when we are "back" or not?

It is so weird that Sam Ehlinger said something five years ago and everybody has never forgotten it. 

aggy is backward.  So they've got that going for them.

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't understand where they get this idea.  They are a hayseed university that's an offshoot of the larger flagship university.  Why would they produce more donor support?

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The idea that we have money because our fans and alumni support our university does not match their propaganda and indoctrination. 

They don't seem to know if they're coming or going. Back during the pandemic era protests surrounding the Sul Ross statue on campus, quite a few of their former students/fans got really upset with the president of the time, Michael Young, and I don't remembering what he said in the media, but they were not happy and started some phrase about not another dime...meaning no donations until he was gone or I guess did something to the student protestors or some such. Similarly, when the football team was faring so poorly and the roller coaster took an early plunge (Appalachian State), they repeated that phrase. I think the interim leader following Young became their president recently but those that populate their message boards don't seem to care much for him either. (No CR, but they think he's too welcoming to others)

I suppose they do have donors, obviously, but if one says "I'm not giving money" and then is puzzled about why other schools have money due to their graduates unflagging support, then one needs to retake a few classes perhaps.....at another school.

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

The Texas a&m Forest Service IS the state agency. They insisted on putting their name on it so they would get credit.

Yes but the Texas A&M Forest Service is a separate entity from Texas A&M University right? I mean I presume the people working there are paid professionals and not student interns.

54 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

not sure if it still happens - the aggie mba houston program spends a weekend at aggie ‘disaster city’ as a kick off before starting the program. They go through disaster drills and scenarios. Per a friend of mine, people were traumatized, puking from smoke and running hoses up flights of stairs. Lot, lot of people crying  😂😂😂

Just prepping them for football season. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jasper_Jester said:

Does Elko know he is not at Duke anymore and he can get P5 transfers to portal in or is he just grabbing who he would have taken at Duke at this point? 

Reminds me of Charlie Strong when he came here, and was bringing his Louisville targets. Lot of us were even excited I remember lol. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

We think "we're back"? How will we know when we are "back" or not?

It is so weird that Sam Ehlinger said something five years ago and everybody has never forgotten it. 

the way we won the kstate game confirmed we are out of the wilderness

we were in the conversation - now we're in the playoffs

are we "back"?   win the next 2 games and we will be back

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

aggy fire drill

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm sure the people of Bastrop are glad they were in charge

let it never be forgotten that perry delayed the deployment of 10 Tanker 912 until he could get back from DC for a Bastrop Heroes photop

then after sitting on the edge of the field at bergstrom for 24 hours, it "disappeared" overnight only to be seen the next day making 2 scouting runs before dumping it's load on the southwest side of the fire 4 full days after the start of the fire when the aircraft had been sitting idle in northern california

turns out it had to fly to chattanooga TN which is the nearest base where it's retardant can be loaded

why didn't it fly in with a load ready to go and head straight for the fire?

it's been 12 years since the branch college FLUSH WITH CASH learned about 10 Tanker bases and retardant loading

have they built a 10 Tanker base somewhere in Texas in the last 12 years?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

31 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

let it never be forgotten that perry delayed the deployment of 10 Tanker 912 until he could get back from DC for a Bastrop Heroes photop

then after sitting on the edge of the field at bergstrom for 24 hours, it "disappeared" overnight only to be seen the next day making 2 scouting runs before dumping it's load on the southwest side of the fire 4 full days after the start of the fire when the aircraft had been sitting idle in northern california

turns out it had to fly to chattanooga TN which is the nearest base where it's retardant can be loaded

it's been 12 years since the branch college FLUSH WITH CASH learned about 10 Tanker bases and retardant loading

I was working with a group to get a small fleet for immediate action based in San Marcos. No one really cared since we can rely on the USG's fleet. The argument was well how often do we need them. Well asshole, when you do need them they better be close and ready to go.  

I have pictures I took of the first drop. Those pilots have balls. In the meantime Texas National Guard Blackhawks were doing all they could.

Fuck aggy and that corndog huffing asshole ex governor.

Also, I heard FEMA is not using Disaster City and moved their training to a venue in Alabama. Not sure if 100% but most of it.

(from green beans to HS Bands to firefighting.)

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Haha 1

It's quite astonishing.  We're talking about a state with almost 30M people, but even so it could be fairly well served by a couple of intelligently located dedicated airstrips that wouldn't even need to be manned (save maintenance) 80% of the time.  Bring in the planes.  Voila, significant resistance to terrifying natural disaster.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Is this real? Citation, please.

Perry is a shithead, so it doesn't shock me.

I grabbed the latest The Daily Texan while on campus since it is a Sugar Bowl edition. The editors interviewed other Big 12 and SEC schools about Texas making the CFP. Most said something like

• Sucks for FSU
  • If Bama was in, Texas had to be in
  • Texas looks good

expect for aggy. Here's what The Battalion had to say:

image.thumb.png.cabd20d405a0505a8e1f53afb7a21928.png

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes but the Texas A&M Forest Service is a separate entity from Texas A&M University right? I mean I presume the people working there are paid professionals and not student interns.

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It is part of the aTm system. Its charter is to fight, prevent, educate and research wild fires. It is also involved in forest management, wildlife management, resource conservation, pest control, etc, but a lot of those duties are more the purview of other actual state agencies (TX Parks and Wildlife, Tx Dept of Agriculture, etc).  I was not aware that it is in charge of any disaster response, other than acutally fighting wildfires.

I presume that like other state agencies, it is staffed by primarily aggy grads. I had the misfortune to work for the Tx Dept of Ag for three years, and those fucks gave me shit daily about being a UT grad. I believe I was the only professional in the area office that was not an aTm grad.

edit: may have been a Sul Ross or Texas St grad in the mix somewhere.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

These people were beyond fucking worthless at the Wimberley flood.

• Rage+1 2