• Replies 72.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

I don’t see DeBoer coming but he’s all offense so I’d bet it’s mutual.  Lanning will get Nike’d to stay if needed.  Kiffin isn’t going to College Station.  Norvell isn’t coming and I don’t think aggy will drink from that well again.

Of the remaining folks, Klieman is a good choice and would likely be interested.  He would give me some worry.  Elko is probably coming if asked.  Kilff is a phone call away. 

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

flagging this post for additional inspection

Yeah, we need to come back to this.  UTIMCO had to have had an emergency investment committee meeting to fundamentally modify a portion of their portfolio to get A&M this much money this quickly.  Aggie Athletics has a lot to cash on hand, but can’t just transfer $75mm from savings to checking by Monday.  

this fucks over the investment thesis for over 20 campuses and hundreds of  thousands of students and faculty.  

this is the financial damage that cult leaders can do to stupid people in the South who don’t know when they’re being duped and don’t know in the end; regular pay for it not the rich

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

How many days before they settle in on the narrative of something like this?

“Actually, paying more money than anyone else evarr to get rid of a terrible coaching hire is a major flex and shows the world we really mean business. It definitely isn’t embarrassing. Those pussy ass sips would never have the balls to pull a power move like this! Whoop!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, we need to come back to this.  UTIMCO had to have had an emergency investment committee meeting to fundamentally modify a portion of their portfolio to get A&M this much money this quickly.  Aggie Athletics has a lot to cash on hand, but can’t just transfer $75mm from savings to checking by Monday.  

this fucks over the investment thesis for over 20 campuses and hundreds of  thousands of students and faculty.  

this is the financial damage that cult leaders can do to stupid people in the South who don’t know when they’re being duped and don’t know in the end; regular pay for it not the rich

Can't UTIMCO just say no? I guess it's "their" money, but aren't there limitations on how PUF/AUF monies are spent?

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

No unfortunately that was Dale aka Rusty Shackleford

No way! I just had to Google that. I played around a disc golf with that guy at Zilker like 15 years ago. He was real cool. After the first hole he played in with me and a buddy. Then a few holes later my buddy looks over at him and says, "Do you watch King of the hill? You remind me of Dale."

RIP

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Drifterwood said:

“Actually, paying more money than anyone else evarr to get rid of a terrible coaching hire is a major flex and shows the world we really mean business. It definitely isn’t embarrassing. Those pussy ass sips would never have the balls to pull a power move like this! Whoop!”

I see it all over “X” today. Having the money to blow and waste is a status symbol for them and a “reason” now they can get any coach they go shopping for. Only the truly self aware ones are embarrassed but relieved at the same time because Jimbo is gone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I see it all over “X” today. Having the money to blow and waste is a status symbol for them and a “reason” now they can get any coach they go shopping for. Only the truly self aware ones are embarrassed but relieved at the same time because Jimbo is gone. 

Such a flex.  We are so elite we pay more for our coach to leave than you pay for him to stay.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

“Days?”
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

If aggy is trying to find someone who "gets" A&M or "fits in", this will be another fuck-up of epic proportions.

It doesn't really matter. They could harness all of their formidable scientific expertise responsible for such hits as maroon carrots and cold fusion and instead focus it on creating a Belichik-Saban love child. They could then develop a time machine to go into the future and bring the grown up version of that coaching wunderkind back to the present to lead the Texum bulldogs. And they would still go 8-4. No matter how much money they spend, they cant stop being aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

My uninformed take on the potential replacements:

Kiffin - he's making $9mm/year at Ole Miss and has publicly been blasting A&M for the last two years. Can't see that happening.

Daboer - has a low salary right now but you have to believe UW will match anything. Lifetime Midwest/Northwest guy so can't to see him leaving UW if the money is close to even.

Lanning - Making $6.6mm right now with a raise likely incoming. Phil Knight gonna let him leave for an Adidas school? Doubtful. But maybe he wants back in the SEC.

Elko - the most likely hire imo. Familiar with ATM, might hold the roster together. Chance for him to get paid and get a shot at a big program while he's hot.

Kingsbury - lol

Traylor - possible, probably not splashy enough for ATM though

Norvell - making $8mm on a likely CFP team with a raise undoubtedly coming from FSU. Makes no sense for him to leave and face a rebuild.

Klieman - No ties to Texas but otherwise could make sense. Supposedly not interested in Michigan St job for whatever reason, maybe he's happy in Kansas.

A lot of this goes back to what has been discussed before - even for those crazies, A&M likely can't pay another Jimbo-level contract to the next coach while paying Jimbo's deal at the same time..

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Tex-19 said:

My uninformed take on the potential replacements:

Kiffin - he's making $9mm/year at Ole Miss and has publicly been blasting A&M for the last two years. Can't see that happening.

Daboer - has a low salary right now but you have to believe UW will match anything. Lifetime Midwest/Northwest guy so can't to see him leaving UW if the money is close to even.

Lanning - Making $6.6mm right now with a raise likely incoming. Phil Knight gonna let him leave for an Adidas school? Doubtful. But maybe he wants back in the SEC.

Elko - the most likely hire imo. Familiar with ATM, might hold the roster together. Chance for him to get paid and get a shot at a big program while he's hot.

Kingsbury - lol

Traylor - possible, probably not splashy enough for ATM though

Norvell - making $8mm on a likely CFP team with a raise undoubtedly coming from FSU. Makes no sense for him to leave and face a rebuild.

Klieman - No ties to Texas but otherwise could make sense. Supposedly not interested in Michigan St job for whatever reason, maybe he's happy in Kansas.

A lot of this goes back to what has been discussed before - even for those crazies, A&M likely can't pay another Jimbo-level contract to the next coach while paying Jimbo's deal at the same time..

It really is going to be Elko I think.  

I love this quote on texags:

but have you noticed they can get out to a half time lead but then have to hang on in the second half in most games this year?

In reality, that's happened 3 times this year -- Houston, KSU, TCU.  "Most".  Right.

We've had the halftime lead in every game but OU (which we lost), and in 6 of those 9 games we weren't white-knuckling it at the end.  But sure, whatever myth you gotta tell yourself, Aggies.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

In reality, that's happened 3 times this year -- Houston, KSU, TCU.  "Most".  Right.

We've had the halftime lead in every game but OU (which we lost), and in 6 of those 9 games we weren't white-knuckling it at the end.  But sure, whatever myth you gotta tell yourself, Aggies.

recency bias but frustrating nonetheless. 

but there are no bad wins so fuck 'em.

(don't tell them about the Washington-ASU game)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

It really is going to be Elko I think.  

I think they will ping pong back and forth between their preferred options, who will rebuff them for raises at their respective positions then they will end up with some basic bitch HC who they can pay less. This will be the same as when they hired Petrino. Incompetence + bravado + no self reflection on what just happened.  That’s why I think it will be Kingsbury with a discount. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

To be fair, they probably got that from reading surly

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, are assistant coaches’ contracts generally at will or do at least some have buyouts like the head coach’s contract?  Just asking whether some of Jumbo’s assistants also get buyouts if they are not retained.  If so, then those figures need to be tacked on to the ultimate figure due to aggy’s incompetent transactional skills.