Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

53 minutes ago, F250 said:

Having watched both Beverly Hills 90210 and Entourage, I am a bit of an expert on the Hollywood/Beverly Hills lifestyle and I have to say the USC job from a lifestyle perspective is in another galaxy compared to living in Norman.

It comes down to chilling with Snoop Dogg or Toby Keith.

You can choose this.

bd7feb3f693c0994519a73698ed3b326.jpg

Or this.

efeaeab9319b012ffd0998de16a3da9a.jpg

animal house reject GIF by Puffin Graphic Design

32 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

LR will find a way to correct it, and it's not a feature that needs any special attention (being at USC), but right now, Sark has greater pull on west-coast talent than Lincoln ever could sniff.

Once Sark rights the ship with talent, I'm looking forward to future skill position battles on recruiting out of AZ, NV, CA and WA.  

Lincon's pull from Texas and the Midwest will wane after a few classes.  The defense side of the ball brings chuckles, realizing BYU may eventually recruit Texas better than USC will, three years down the line.

you are high

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

You know what this tells me?

Texas isn’t a blue blood. USC just pulled a top coach from a place where he was winning conference championships 4 out of 5 seasons AND in the playoffs.

Texas….did not.

We just don’t want to make everyone else feel bad by flexing our muscles and spending some of our riches. We’re so considerate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

So you’ve driven on the Interstates through Oklahoma? That does sound like you have a good knowledge of what’s here.

Most of the state is shitty and rural. No different than the many shitty rural areas of Texas or literally every other state in the union.

As for its urban areas, Oklahoma City a sprawling, flat mid-sized city with little natural beauty but it does have a few lively areas, and it has enough going on to have an NBA team.

Tulsa is a bit smaller mid-sized city but much more naturally beautiful than OKC that has developed more organically. The music and arts scene in Tulsa is decent for a city of its size.  Unless you’re a dipshit who is literally going out of your way to not have a good time, you can find fun things to do in both Tulsa and OKC.

I'll grant you that the Swan Lake neighborhood is pretty nice and the Blue Dome district is trying its best, but you're still the home to Oral Roberts which might be is the creepiest fucking college campus in the country and Greenwood is still a wasteland on the other side of the freeway after 100 years. Plus, you've fucked up a bunch of your "natural beauty" by putting oil refineries all up and down one side of the river.

But, yeah, put a gun to my head and I'd probably pick Tulsa over OKC.

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We just don’t want to make everyone else feel bad by flexing our muscles and spending some of our riches. We’re so considerate. 

You guys laugh, but I can’t think of any other explanation for our fucking terrible Jerry Jones-style “bargain” hires that have slowly (and sometimes not-so-slowly) burned our program to the ground. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You guys laugh, but I can’t think of any other explanation for our fucking terrible Jerry Jones-style “bargain” hires that have slowly (and sometimes not-so-slowly) burned our program to the ground. 

we might not think it's true, but the reputation of the athletic department as a minefield with interference left and right is one that elite coaches and their agents firmly believe is true.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'll grant you that the Swan Lake neighborhood is pretty nice and the Blue Dome district is trying its best, but you're still the home to Oral Roberts which might be is the creepiest fucking college campus in the country and Greenwood is still a wasteland on the other side of the freeway after 100 years. Plus, you've fucked up a bunch of your "natural beauty" by putting oil refineries all up and down one side of the river.

But, yeah, put a gun to my head and I'd probably pick Tulsa over OKC.

Swan Lake is like maybe the 4th or 5th nicest neighborhood in midtown Tulsa. If you’re going to name check a neighborhood you should have gone with Maple Ridge, Terwilleger Heights or Ranch Acres. Or hell you could have just gone with Southern Hills.

Blue Dome? When was the last time you were here? A decade ago? The Arts District into Greenwood is 10x more built up than Blue Dome. 

Oil Refineries “up and down” the river? LOL there is one refinery. And there is plenty of natural beauty here other than one spot along the West Bank of the river.

But yeah I agree ORU sucks. Fuck them.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You can find something good and bad about practically every state besides Oklahoma. Ive been through Oklahoma numerous times. Thinking back here’s what sticks out the most to me: as previously stated- paintings on the interstate letting you know what one you’re on, a shit ton of love truck stops, the OKC bombing site and the water tower in Moore saying it’s home to Toby Keith

Bricktown isn't too bad... Got shit-faced and broke my foot there. Good times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, naija said:

we might not think it's true, but the reputation of the athletic department as a minefield with interference left and right is one that elite coaches and their agents firmly believe is true.

I believe it. I also believe that we can pay enough to give an elite coach the assurance that he’ll be able to succeed or be paid well enough to accept failure. We just choose not to do so.

Aggy certainly had no problem doing so when they hired Jimbo, which I believe was a fucking stupid hire, but I at least appreciate their commitment. They don’t have near the money we do,  but they sure seem to get a lot more bang for their buck. In perception, if nothing else. 

4 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

top college corches work a shit tonne of hours they are not out and about doing all the "cool kids shit" wherever they live

people say LR is worth $25 or $30 million maybe, but that is probably going to generate him an income of less than $900,000 with the tax rates in California and not much more in Oklahoma with conservative long term investing

that is a shit tonne of money on just investment income, but that goes a hell of a lot less far in California and all of his new income leaves a hell of a lot more for him to continue to invest after taxes in Oklahoma vs California

people that work a shit tonne of hours and that are really rich with "FU money" can afford to take a vacation anywhere they wish for all the available vacation time they have when they do get that time......that includes going to California or places much nice, funner, and cooler than that

even people that have major FU money and that live in California (or other "cool places") and have lots of free time still have to put u with some of the bullshit that comes with living in those places and sometimes living in another place and visiting other places makes it a lot easier to put up with a lot less bullshit and for a lot lower cost with the same or more enjoyment

Oklahoma might not be the top place to make that choice, but when that is where the high paying job is well that is the choices you have to evaluate

92FF8871-514E-4B82-B18C-C8DCD31F83B9.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Swan Lake is like maybe the 4th or 5th nicest neighborhood in midtown Tulsa. If you’re going to name check a neighborhood you should have gone with Maple Ridge, Terwilleger Heights or Ranch Acres. Or hell you could have just gone with Southern Hills.

Blue Dome? When was the last time you were here? A decade ago? The Arts District into Greenwood is 10x more built up than Blue Dome. 

Oil Refineries “up and down” the river? LOL there is one refinery. And there is plenty of natural beauty here other than one spot along the West Bank of the river.

Yeah, I'd say it's been 10-12 years - spent a few days there for a work trip. The only reason I could name check Swan Lake was because we visited some house that had been turned into a museum and, at the time, the locals we met working for the City and Chamber were really pushing the Blue Dome as some hip up-and-coming entertainment district.

I know that as a local, we can all become used to our surroundings and become blind to things an outsider might notice, but that refinery really does the river a disservice.

43 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

What the fuck do Bakersfield and Fresno have to do with the L.A.area?

Someone finally put the dots in L.A. 

LA = Louisiana 

L.A. = Los Angeles

------

Have lived in SoCal three times, about 20% of my life. 

Been in Round Rock for the last 15 years.  

I'm generally much happier here than I ever was in SoCal.

Though I do miss the mountains and the ability to ride a motorcycle on a different twisty canyon road every day for a year.

And it's kind of cool being able to snow ski in the morning, have lunch on the beach and then go water skiing in the afternoon.

Well, that's theoretically what should be able to happen but traffic usually sucks too much.  

Used to take me 70 minutes to drive 13 miles home after work, or about half that if I was splitting lanes.

If you're blue collar then there is no better place to be than right here in Central Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

well, there is a better explanation, but it requires a small novella's worth of state politics, bad director's hires, etc. In fact, USC themselves just went through the same thing, more or less.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

You write "when was the last time you were in Oklahoma?" as if successfully avoiding the entire state for the past 35 years is something I shouldn't be proud of...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Shit I’m on the job for the last couple days and this happens.   I’m not going back for 15 pages to see if this point has been made or not.  but I suspect this is directly related to the poors versus the rich in the coming NIL playground.   Not an SEC thing at all.   OUs checkbook is light and the alumni base and t-shirt idiots can’t cut big checks like some other places like Texas and usc.   Might be a salary cap coming at some point but the horse is out of the barn at this point.   

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

USC is one of the few schools that’s not in the SEC that can put together a roster like an SEC power. Even on the defensive side of the ball. When USC is rolling they can pull whomever they want out of the West Coast. People forget how loaded those Carroll teams were. With a good DC, you’ll stop seeing Samoan names or QBs like Bryce Young on SEC and ACC rosters. 

There's absolutely no QB prospect more appropriate for Riley's new team than top California recruit "Iamaleava"

image.png.9430787eeba4b07ac7cfdbf932d1042a.png

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Took a chick back to the comfort inn once from the on the border next to some mall down by ORU. Good times