Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Riley really was regressing.  All the numbers show it.  OU is methodical in the way they hire.  They don’t listen to outsiders and feel the need to make a splash unlike some other programs.  Texas should always be worried about OU, that’s the sad truth.  

Go get another John Blake. I'd appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

That’s the easiest job in America to replace though.  Find someone that can say “just grab the dude in front of you and don’t let go”

Something tells me that a new staff isn't gong to get the same benefit of the doubt from the Rig12 officials.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The more I think about it and read about it, Riley is really smart with this move. The move to the SEC is bad for OU and Texas, and I fully recognize that our conference is kind of crummy.

16 teams -- with about half of them that like to think of themselves as major football schools -- is too much. All it takes is 3-4 years of not winning a conference title and people will start to get restless given the success he's had at OU. Given how high of a bar he has set, there will be no maintaining that success with the move. The only direction is down. Instead, he can jump to USC and has the potential to dominate again like he has at Oklahoma.

As someone said, wish we could go back to the conferences in 1998 when the BCS began. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if we (Texas) don't win another conference title in 20 years. Having to go through Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma every year (even if we don't directly play each of them in a season) -- plus other schools like Arkansas and A&M is going to be fucking hard. 

I don't disagree with you about wanting to go back with the way it was, but you can't view the current landscape with that in mind.  With the expanded playoff, conference titles are going to be about as meaningful as they are in college basketball. All that is going to matter is that you get to the tournament and that you put players into the NFL. The best players in the country are going to want to play against the other best players, and that will be in the SEC. The SEC is going to gobble up about half of the playoff bracket. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

More I think about it, this kinda sucks. If Riley gets USC up and running that partially negates one of the reasons we hired Sark -- recruiting inroads in SoCal. It's nice to see all these decommits from the gooner class right now, but I doubt we get a one of 'em. They are probably all following Riley to USC. 

Meanwhile, BlowU will turn its attention back more into Texas and get its usual allotment of traitors. 

Sark's shitty coaching already negated the reasons why we hired him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Riley really was regressing.  All the numbers show it.  OU is methodical in the way they hire.  They don’t listen to outsiders and feel the need to make a splash unlike some other programs.  Texas should always be worried about OU, that’s the sad truth.  

pepe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

$50 says Oklahoma still wins the conference championship next season in their final Big XII year.  They believe in hardware, we believe in making sure 4* Texas high school players feel good about themselves.  

I look forward to LR turning Notre Dame into his new bitch.  

And SEC will be even more promoted as the upper echelon in college football.   So even a good or great run out of the PAC 12 is going to get short shrift behind SEC and secondly B10.  The time difference on TV hurts them considerably in exposure.  

The only thing that will bring down the SEC dynasty will be some huge expose on rampant cheating, and even then I'm not sure it would really do much damage, since most people already suspect it.

So while it's a different path to a national championship, it also has several hurdles built in.  

Edited by pyrohornIII

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

$50 says Oklahoma still wins the conference championship next season in their final Big XII year.  They believe in hardware, we believe in making sure 4* Texas high school players feel good about themselves.  

I'll take that bet for real.  I think refs will screw us and ou again.  

15 hours ago, immamac said:

Dude shut the fuck up. You are so stupid you will never make this kind of money even if you win the lottery, that's how stupid this take and you are. 

I’m sure Bob Stoops has an average condo in Chicago. Ya know, I sensible 1/1. Maybe a small patio to have a couple plants. He wouldn’t want to go broke buying a bigger place. Nosireebob 

I would have guessed -- whether Riley is a man of character or not -- he is at the least a man who attempts to portray that he's of strong character. The news of him being extremely callous and bitchy out the door is surprising. But it is, how you say, totally fucking awesome! Fuck BLO U!

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Imagine playing in the CFP, and not being able to win a single fucking game over multiple years.

Now imagine you rapidly slide down to not even competing for the B12 Championship.

And you aren't playing for the B12 championship because Texas got their shit together and steamrolled you and you also lost a fluke game.

No, you aren't playing for the B12 Championship because Baylor and Okie State got their shit together.

Now look at the shitshow coming out of Austin.

It's not hard for OU fans to start imagining that Lincoln Riley is their Charlie Strong or <insert whatever coach follows a MNC coach>

I'm thinking Lincoln Riley is their Larry Coker.

44 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

USC flopped their nuts on the table. There weren’t a bunch of screaming corn dogs eagerly leaking shit all over creation because the head coach at LSU is literally the most important thing in Louisiana. They just got the right rich people in a room and did what they do. Night and day in terms of professionalism. 

USC has been a clown show with their coaching situation for a long time. Hell, Carroll was way down their list and they got lucky he was awesome. Yes, Sarkisian is part of that clown show history which doesn't surprise many around here right now.

They did it well this time, but all this shows is that a program can get it right if they try. Not all the time because the target has to be agreeable to it, of course, and Riley found a situation that helped him stay as a top team with maybe one other top program in a P5 conference and not have to go to the SEC. USC got lucky as much as anything else this time.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I would have guessed -- whether Riley is a man of character or not -- he is at the least a man who attempts to portray that he's of strong character. The news of him being extremely callous and bitchy out the door is surprising. But it is, how you say, totally fucking awesome! Fuck BLO U!

It’s almost like college football coaches, who wallow in the cesspool of college football, are not high character guys. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

What's the news about him being "callous and bitchy"? It's a bit cold about leaving so quick, but that's what you do. It would just be awkward for him to say he's going to USC and then just hang around for another month for a bowl game.

Yeah. Don’t understand that argument. Signing day is coming up fast. It would be completely negligent for him to not get out west ASAP. It would also be bad for OU in the same regard. They would want him out the door just as quickly so Stoops can salvage as many recruits as possible.

And if he’s already signed the contract, it’s probably not permissible for him to speak to OU players. Even if he hasn’t officially been hired, the more contact he has with the team, the more likely OU has a claim against him.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What's the news about him being "callous and bitchy"? It's a bit cold about leaving so quick, but that's what you do. It would just be awkward for him to say he's going to USC and then just hang around for another month for a bowl game.

There are quotes above about an extremely quick team meeting. "Goodbye. Please understand. I'm leaving," and that was about it. Sure I get he's out the door but damn he's been there for years with some of those guys. He gave them 2 minutes of his time. I get where someone could say it's just business but to me his approach to the team was callous and bitchy. I don't care if he emailed his resignation to the administration...I do think he owed more to the team and players. Like at least 5 minutes more.

I'm not saying he needed to hang out for a few weeks. Don't get where people are reading that.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I have always gotten the perception Riley is a total bitch. Running off to the Pac 12 to avoid the SEC merely reinforces this, and also why I don't think he is a world class coach who will rake in championships. Guys like Saban who have the edge run to the fight, not away. Saban went straight into the conference who was in the middle of an unprecedented run of titles and basically lifted his leg on them.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Can someone copy/paste that athletic article?

Spoiler

NORMAN, Okla. — A group of Oklahoma football players congregated Sunday afternoon in the parking lot across the street from Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. They’d just departed a meeting that left some angry — and all shocked.

Sooners coach Lincoln Riley called the team meeting for 2:30 p.m. CT, just as news broke on social media that he would leave Oklahoma to become the new USC head coach. Riley, 38, briefly addressed the team, informing players of the news and asking for their understanding, according to sources inside the room.

“Tensions are high right now,” one player told The Athletic.

Riley’s decision to walk away hours after the Sooners lost to Bedlam rival Oklahoma State astonished this program, state and the college football world. It marks the most seismic day in recent Sooners football history, perhaps even more so than when former coach Bob Stoops announced his retirement in the summer of 2017 and handed his program off to Riley, who had been his offensive coordinator the previous two seasons. Stoops — who will serve as interim head coach for the remaining bowl game — has said that he stepped down, in part, because he felt he was leaving the program he built for 18 seasons in steady, capable hands.

Riley’s departure comes as the Sooners prepare for major change. Oklahoma and Texas announced this summer that they would leave the Big 12 to join the mighty Southeastern Conference in 2025, although most expect the move to happen before then.

Some sources inside and close to the program speculated that Riley left now to secure an easier path to the College Football Playoff. The Pac-12 has sent only two teams to the Playoff since it began in 2014. In a statement, Riley said it was a personal decision that was among the most difficult of his life and “solely based on my willingness to go take on a new challenge.”

Riley went 55-10 in five seasons as Sooners head coach, leading OU to four Big 12 championships and three Playoff appearances, though the Sooners never won a national semifinal. Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray won the Heisman Trophy in 2017 and 2018, respectively, then became No. 1 NFL Draft selections. In 2019, Jalen Hurts transferred from Alabama and became the Heisman Trophy runner-up.

Riley, despite making $7.67 million this year at Oklahoma, had become a popular name in this season’s coaching carousel. Following the Sooners’ 37-33 loss Saturday night at Oklahoma State, Riley flatly denied speculation he would take the LSU head coaching job. He cut off a reporter’s question, saying, “Hold up, hold up, hold up. … I’m not going to be the next head coach at LSU. Next question.”

Riley then spoke about his faith in OU’s administration, saying, in part, “We work well together, and we’re going to continue to work well together.”

Oklahoma isn’t a job that coaches typically walk away from voluntarily for other jobs. The last coach to leave the Sooners for another coaching gig was Chuck Fairbanks in 1972, when he left to take over the New England Patriots and handed the reins to Barry Switzer. The last time an Oklahoma coach left for another college job came in 1947, when Jim Tatum left to become Maryland’s head coach and Bud Wilkinson was hired.

Switzer was forced out in 1989. Over the ensuing decade, Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake were all fired, leading to Stoops’ hiring in December 1998. That was the last time Oklahoma engineered a full-on coaching search. Stoops won a national title, the program’s most recent, in 2000.

Athletic director Joe Castiglione — who hired Stoops and Riley — did not respond to a text message Sunday.

Sources told The Athletic that Riley told his OU coaching staff about his decision around the same time that the players — and the public at large — found out.

A couple of staffers driving away from the football facility Sunday afternoon stopped and rolled down their windows. As one put it, “I kept waiting for him to say, ‘Just kidding.’ But he never did.'”

Another said, “Shit, man, I don’t have a job right now.”

According to sources inside the meeting, Castiglione introduced Stoops — Oklahoma’s all-time winningest coach who is wrapping up his first season as part of Fox Sports’ “Big Noon Kickoff” panel.

Oklahoma’s Bedlam loss means the Sooners won’t play in this weekend’s Big 12 title game for the first time since the Big 12 reinstituted it in 2017.

An OU player told The Athletic that the team is in shock and has no idea what is going to happen next. The players don’t even know what their practice schedule looks like for the week — or if they’re even practicing at all.

Dean Blevins, the former OU quarterback and Oklahoma City’s News 9 sports director who hosts Riley’s weekly playback TV show, said Sunday that he was informed just before filming that Riley would be delayed. A short time later, a producer told Blevins that Riley wasn’t coming at all.

In the immediate term, Sunday’s news leaves Oklahoma recruiting in a precarious position. The early signing period begins December 15. Oklahoma currently has 17 commitments in a 2022 class that ranks seventh nationally, according to the 247Sports Composite. Entering Sunday, the Sooners’ 2023 class had seven commitments and ranked No. 1. Five-star 2023 wide receiver Brandon Inniss, from American Heritage High School in South Florida, announced Sunday his decommitment, as did top-100 running back Treyaun Webb.

But it’s worse than that.

Oklahoma has commitments from five-star 2022 running back Raleek Brown, who plays at powerhouse Mater Dei in Santa Ana, Calif., as well as from three top 2023 prospects from Los Alamitos (Calif.) High. Two are five-star prospects — quarterback Malachi Nelson and wide receiver Makai Lemon — and the other, four-star receiver DeAndre Moore Jr., is the No. 41 prospect for 2023. USC in recent years has struggled to sign top-tier local talent, but any, or all, of the prospects could stay home and play for Riley.

On Sunday afternoon, Brown tweeted, “Staying home?” with a pair of emoji eyes.

Castiglione has a well-earned reputation as the nation’s premier athletic director, and Oklahoma will surely be an attractive job even as the Sooners transition into one of the nation’s most cutthroat leagues.

The blue blood is one of few programs in college athletics that operates with its own budget, without any assistance from the university’s general fund or student fees. The renovated Barry Switzer Center is only a few years old, and future SEC money could mean even more facilities upgrades.

In a statement Sunday evening, Castiglione said that he’d told the team earlier that “our program is about them. It will always be bigger than any one person. And just as it’s always been, Oklahoma football is positioned for greatness.”

But losing Riley on Sunday — without question — goes down as a devastating day for Oklahoma football.

(Photo of Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams: Brian Bahr / Getty Images)

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

There are quotes above about an extremely quick team meeting. "Goodbye. Please understand. I'm leaving," and that was about it. Sure I get he's out the door but damn he's been there for years with some of those guys. He gave them 2 minutes of his time. I get where someone could say it's just business but to me his approach to the team was callous and bitchy. I don't care if he emailed his resignation to the administration...I do think he owed more to the team and players. Like at least 5 minutes more.

I'm not saying he needed to hang out for a few weeks. Don't get where people are reading that.

I've always gotten the impression that coach leaving is like a break-up. Just go. You aren't going to be "friends" afterward. There's no real benefit to sticking around any longer than you need.

Now leaving in the middle of a dinner with recruits like Tuberville? That's a bit different.