Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

There are no skeletons in the closet that allow you to be one of the highest paid coordinators at one of the premiere programs but keep you from getting HC gigs.  There are plenty of programs that want to win at all costs.  It's as simple as he likes where he's at and doesn't want to cut his HC teeth at Arkansas State or somewhere similar.

Agreed 100%.  He isn't welcome at KSU, but he's turned down offers from elsewhere.  He's stable and probably knows that being a glad-handing program manager isn't his forte.

Man I really hope they make Stoops the interim for a year. Nothing is more reassuring to recruits than, "I don't know who the next head coach will be, but I know he will be the right coach for the job! Unlike the last coach I hand picked that bolted for a better gig!" Imagine being scared of a lame duck head coach.

This is exactly what we needed, when we needed it. Also, OU fans that are happy about this are delusional. I remember when 10 wins wasn't enough. 

24 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Stoops is the worry. No not that he is going to go back to full time on the field coaching where he was starting to lose a step but that he’s now involved. Folks are calling him interim coach. My guess is he is going to be more hiring consultant under the guise of interim coach. 

“Bob, get in there for the next month. You already have kept up with the program go look under the hood at the nuts and bolts and tell us what we need to hire for in terms of head coach and staff.”

What a fucking luxury to still have a former coach that decorated you can use in that manner.  I’m not counting on OU screwing up a transition with him positively involved. They sure as shit didn’t the last time he set them up with Lincoln. 

I can see this move coming from a mile away.

"Hey Guys! I have the perfect hire, my brother Mark! Also, he has a hot new up and coming Defensive Coordinator already picked out... Mike Stoops! Crazy right?!" 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Jive Turkey said:

I wonder if aggy might take a chance?   They embraced one douche about a decade ago.... Why not another?  It's obvious what they have right now is not going to cut it.  

Then I guess I have to ask if we might take a chance?   Other than we haven't had a real douche at QB for a very long time if ever, we are almost like aggy with two QB's who might not necessarily improve next year.

So Rattler is gone and Williams could potentially go to USC….

Bag O’Dicks Bob may be the interim, there is no way they can let it last through the end of Jan.

With how the new COVID transfers go, they would have till end of May to figure out the QB transfer market. No way they can afford to let someone that been out of CFB the last few years make a programing defining move like that.

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I wonder if aggy might take a chance?   They embraced one douche about a decade ago.... Why not another?  It's obvious what they have right now is not going to cut it.  

Then I guess I have to ask if we might take a chance?   Other than we haven't had a real douche at QB for a very long time if ever, we are almost like aggy with two QB's who might not necessarily improve next year.

God I hope not. Thompson and Card aren’t great but I don’t know if Rattler makes our team better. He was benched in both Red River games in 2020 and 2021…..against our shit defense. He sucks 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Someone finally put the dots in L.A. 

LA = Louisiana 

L.A. = Los Angeles

------

Have lived in SoCal three times, about 20% of my life. 

Been in Round Rock for the last 15 years.  

I'm generally much happier here than I ever was in SoCal.

Though I do miss the mountains and the ability to ride a motorcycle on a different twisty canyon road every day for a year.

And it's kind of cool being able to snow ski in the morning, have lunch on the beach and then go water skiing in the afternoon.

Well, that's theoretically what should be able to happen but traffic usually sucks too much.  

Used to take me 70 minutes to drive 13 miles home after work, or about half that if I was splitting lanes.

If you're blue collar then there is no better place to be than right here in Central Texas.  

Being born and raised in Southern California, there is/was a lot to enjoy there. Being old, it’s not the same place I grew up.

Growing up an OC surf-rat, I do miss sliding some waves in the morning, then heading to school. Now? Too many kooks, no parking, traffic sucks, etc..

We bailed out of SoCal to Arizona 5 years ago. Since I don’t have the FU money, we got priced out of the market…$600K for a meh house in mediocre areas. And without going CR, politics had a hand in the move also.  Our living expenses decreased 60% immediately. Since we own our own business, finding a gig wasn’t a problem.

Traffic is just fucking insane. I lived 15 miles from work, and did a 50 minute (each way) commute. I could ride my bicycle and get home the same time. Gridlock at 10PM on a weekend? Oh yeah.

Of course, LR won’t have those issues with what he will get paid.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 hours ago, USCATX said:

What about Lancaster and Fontana, tho?  Total armpits IMO.  

Great to have a coach back in place who knows how to properly rock a visor.  That’s what’s really important.  

I am betting Riley doesn’t plan on visiting Lancaster or Fontucky any time soon. Unless he misses the sweet aroma of meth labs in the morning 

Demarco Murray stuff is interesting on dirtburglars and a few other sites. He’s obviously not leaving for USC with the rest of the staff. Basically said to LR it was bullshit when LR came into team room crying to say he was leaving. It had already broken on Twitter.  Also, something about Stoops was playing golf when this was going down and went into the room shortly after LR abandoned it. Pretty heated is what people were saying about Stoops. Not sure if any or all of it is true though. I can see Murray being pissed. Same with Stoops so it rings true. So it is probably all bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

SIAP but anyone have the Athletic article about all the tears and stomping of feet in Norman when the team and administration learned the news from Riley?

"I kept waiting for him to say he was joking."  HAHAHAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Can someone copy/paste that athletic article?

Kersey: How Oklahoma is dealing with the fallout from Lincoln Riley’s shocking exit for USC: ‘Tensions are high’

By Jason Kersey Nov 28, 2021 317 

NORMAN, Okla. — A group of Oklahoma football players congregated Sunday afternoon in the parking lot across the street from Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. They’d just departed a meeting that left some angry — and all shocked.

Sooners coach Lincoln Riley called the team meeting for 2:30 p.m. CT, just as news broke on social media that he would leave Oklahoma to become the new USC head coach. Riley, 38, briefly addressed the team, informing players of the news and asking for their understanding, according to sources inside the room.

“Tensions are high right now,” one player told The Athletic.

Riley’s decision to walk away hours after the Sooners lost to Bedlam rival Oklahoma State astonished this program, state and the college football world. It marks the most seismic day in recent Sooners football history, perhaps even more so than when former coach Bob Stoops announced his retirement in the summer of 2017 and handed his program off to Riley, who had been his offensive coordinator the previous two seasons. Stoops — who will serve as interim head coach for the remaining bowl game — has said that he stepped down, in part, because he felt he was leaving the program he built for 18 seasons in steady, capable hands.

Riley’s departure comes as the Sooners prepare for major change. Oklahoma and Texas announced this summer that they would leave the Big 12 to join the mighty Southeastern Conference in 2025, although most expect the move to happen before then.

Some sources inside and close to the program speculated that Riley left now to secure an easier path to the College Football Playoff. The Pac-12 has sent only two teams to the Playoff since it began in 2014. In a statement, Riley said it was a personal decision that was among the most difficult of his life and “solely based on my willingness to go take on a new challenge.”

Riley went 55-10 in five seasons as Sooners head coach, leading OU to four Big 12 championships and three Playoff appearances, though the Sooners never won a national semifinal. Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray won the Heisman Trophy in 2017 and 2018, respectively, then became No. 1 NFL Draft selections. In 2019, Jalen Hurts transferred from Alabama and became the Heisman Trophy runner-up.

Riley, despite making $7.67 million this year at Oklahoma, had become a popular name in this season’s coaching carousel. Following the Sooners’ 37-33 loss Saturday night at Oklahoma State, Riley flatly denied speculation he would take the LSU head coaching job. He cut off a reporter’s question, saying, “Hold up, hold up, hold up. … I’m not going to be the next head coach at LSU. Next question.”

Riley then spoke about his faith in OU’s administration, saying, in part, “We work well together, and we’re going to continue to work well together.”

Oklahoma isn’t a job that coaches typically walk away from voluntarily for other jobs. The last coach to leave the Sooners for another coaching gig was Chuck Fairbanks in 1972, when he left to take over the New England Patriots and handed the reins to Barry Switzer. The last time an Oklahoma coach left for another college job came in 1947, when Jim Tatum left to become Maryland’s head coach and Bud Wilkinson was hired.

Switzer was forced out in 1989. Over the ensuing decade, Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake were all fired, leading to Stoops’ hiring in December 1998. That was the last time Oklahoma engineered a full-on coaching search. Stoops won a national title, the program’s most recent, in 2000.

Athletic director Joe Castiglione — who hired Stoops and Riley — did not respond to a text message Sunday.

Sources told The Athletic that Riley told his OU coaching staff about his decision around the same time that the players — and the public at large — found out.

A couple of staffers driving away from the football facility Sunday afternoon stopped and rolled down their windows. As one put it, “I kept waiting for him to say, ‘Just kidding.’ But he never did.'”

Another said, “Shit, man, I don’t have a job right now.”

According to sources inside the meeting, Castiglione introduced Stoops — Oklahoma’s all-time winningest coach who is wrapping up his first season as part of Fox Sports’ “Big Noon Kickoff” panel.

Oklahoma’s Bedlam loss means the Sooners won’t play in this weekend’s Big 12 title game for the first time since the Big 12 reinstituted it in 2017.

An OU player told The Athletic that the team is in shock and has no idea what is going to happen next. The players don’t even know what their practice schedule looks like for the week — or if they’re even practicing at all.

Dean Blevins, the former OU quarterback and Oklahoma City’s News 9 sports director who hosts Riley’s weekly playback TV show, said Sunday that he was informed just before filming that Riley would be delayed. A short time later, a producer told Blevins that Riley wasn’t coming at all.

In the immediate term, Sunday’s news leaves Oklahoma recruiting in a precarious position. The early signing period begins December 15. Oklahoma currently has 17 commitments in a 2022 class that ranks seventh nationally, according to the 247Sports Composite. Entering Sunday, the Sooners’ 2023 class had seven commitments and ranked No. 1. Five-star 2023 wide receiver Brandon Inniss, from American Heritage High School in South Florida, announced Sunday his decommitment, as did top-100 running back Treyaun Webb.

But it’s worse than that.

Oklahoma has commitments from five-star 2022 running back Raleek Brown, who plays at powerhouse Mater Dei in Santa Ana, Calif., as well as from three top 2023 prospects from Los Alamitos (Calif.) High. Two are five-star prospects — quarterback Malachi Nelson and wide receiver Makai Lemon — and the other, four-star receiver DeAndre Moore Jr., is the No. 41 prospect for 2023. USC in recent years has struggled to sign top-tier local talent, but any, or all, of the prospects could stay home and play for Riley.

On Sunday afternoon, Brown tweeted, “Staying home?” with a pair of emoji eyes.

Castiglione has a well-earned reputation as the nation’s premier athletic director, and Oklahoma will surely be an attractive job even as the Sooners transition into one of the nation’s most cutthroat leagues.

The blue blood is one of few programs in college athletics that operates with its own budget, without any assistance from the university’s general fund or student fees. The renovated Barry Switzer Center is only a few years old, and future SEC money could mean even more facilities upgrades.

In a statement Sunday evening, Castiglione said that he’d told the team earlier that “our program is about them. It will always be bigger than any one person. And just as it’s always been, Oklahoma football is positioned for greatness.”

But losing Riley on Sunday — without question — goes down as a devastating day for Oklahoma football.

40 minutes ago, jinx said:

Unfortunately I have had the same thoughts about the Aggies and Sark.

I have seen people saying that Castiglione has known for a while, but I can't see how that would be the case. The fact that Lincoln is about to torpedo their recruiting class could do some real damage.

I think the “they better make a move fast or their recruiting class will tank” mindset is a really shortsighted viewpoint. It’s way more important to get the right coach than it is to worry about one recruiting class.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think the “they better make a move fast or their recruiting class will tank” mindset is a really shortsighted viewpoint. It’s way more important to get the right coach than it is to worry about one recruiting class.

Pretty much, but unfortunately OU is well run enough to know this as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bluto said:

So was he supposed to give a 30 min sermon or motivational speech? Give it the old drawn out it’s not you it’s me speech? Not sure what ppl expect of a departing coach beyond doing it in person.

“I’ve decided to take the USC job because I think that is what is best for me and my family.  It has been an honor and a pleasure to coach you guys, and this was a really difficult decision.  If you don’t suck, you have my phone number.”

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

Being born and raised in Southern California, there is/was a lot to enjoy there. Being old, it’s not the same place I grew up.

Growing up an OC surf-rat, I do miss sliding some waves in the morning, then heading to school. Now? Too many kooks, no parking, traffic sucks, etc..

We bailed out of SoCal to Arizona 5 years ago. Since I don’t have the FU money, we got priced out of the market…$600K for a meh house in mediocre areas. And without going CR, politics had a hand in the move also.  Our living expenses decreased 60% immediately. Since we own our own business, finding a gig wasn’t a problem.

Traffic is just fucking insane. I lived 15 miles from work, and did a 50 minute (each way) commute. I could ride my bicycle and get home the same time. Gridlock at 10PM on a weekend? Oh yeah.

Of course, LR won’t have those issues with what he will get paid.

This here. I’m 7 miles from work it’s 45 min by truck. 25 by bicycle 

Nice denial Kliff on the OU interest rumors:

Kingsbury wasn’t quite as forceful as Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin when issuing a denial of interest in a college job, instead generally declining to discuss the topic.

“I don’t get into those things,” Kingsbury said, via Darren Urban of the Cardinals’ website. “My sole focus the last couple of weeks has been the Chicago Bears.”

Kingsbury was later asked why he didn’t flatly say he has no interest in the job.

“We’re in-season, we’re 9-and-2, just not a topic I want to touch right now,” Kingsbury said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/29/kliff-kingsbury-on-oklahoma-job-not-a-topic-i-want-to-touch-right-now/

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The SEC is going to gobble up about half of the playoff bracket. 

That was Plan A, before A&M snitched. B12 (led by OU/UT) & SEC were going to get plan passed to have large % of 12-team playoff be by rank. That would’ve meant disproportionate rep from SEC. Now, all non-SEC conferences (incl B12) will presumably only vote for a Plan B that includes weighting to conf champs, w/ fewer slots by rank. Aggy screwed it up for new SEC, as other conferences now have guards up. Should be interesting negotiations.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kingsbury wasn’t quite as forceful as Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin when issuing a denial of interest in a college job, instead generally declining to discuss the topic.
“I don’t get into those things,” Kingsbury said, via Darren Urban of the Cardinals’ website. “My sole focus the last couple of weeks has been the Chicago Bears.”
Kingsbury was later asked why he didn’t flatly say he has no interest in the job.
“We’re in-season, we’re 9-and-2, just not a topic I want to touch right now,” Kingsbury said.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/29/kliff-kingsbury-on-oklahoma-job-not-a-topic-i-want-to-touch-right-now/

Because I know if I were positioning for a contract extension, I’d publicly and explicitly state my complete lack of interest in the biggest coaching job in the market
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Non-denial denials, written up by KK's agent and memorized by KK.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I can see this move coming from a mile away.

"Hey Guys! I have the perfect hire, my brother Mark! Also, he has a hot new up and coming Defensive Coordinator already picked out... Mike Stoops! Crazy right?!" 

It will be ugly if it goes badly but Mark Stoops isn't a bad hire IMO.  he's a meh hire but not a bad one.

I have always gotten the perception Riley is a total bitch. Running off to the Pac 12 to avoid the SEC merely reinforces this, and also why I don't think he is a world class coach who will rake in championships. Guys like Saban who have the edge run to the fight, not away. Saban went straight into the conference who was in the middle of an unprecedented run of titles and basically lifted his leg on them.

Dont blame him one bit. Regardless of the ridiculous Norman vs LA “debate”, for guys that want to win, the USC move makes sense and its easier to recruit elite players.

There is also something disingenuous with the narrative that he’s simultaneously tucking tail and losing out on SEC recruiting advantages and access to the CFP.

Not saying thats the arguments you’re making but I pause at the notion that our own move to the SEC is wise if it makes it harder to win championships. You’d think Texas fans, in particular, would be outspoken about their future prospects. And upset about the move and being relegated further.

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Non-denial denials, written up by KK's agent and memorized by KK.

Yep.  And to the point had he even denied it the same people would then say that it means nothing because coaches lie all the time, which they do.  There is no reason to obsess over denials or lack of denials because they are often just calculated by the agents to increase salaries.

16 minutes ago, txindep said:

That was Plan A, before A&M snitched. B12 (led by OU/UT) & SEC were going to get plan passed to have large % of 12-team playoff be by rank. That would’ve meant disproportionate rep from SEC. Now, all non-SEC conferences (incl B12) will presumably only vote for a Plan B that includes weighting to conf champs, w/ fewer slots by rank. Aggy screwed it up for new SEC, as other conferences now have guards up. Should be interesting negotiations.

Not to thread-derail but I don't want to see a 12-team playoff with six teams from the SEC in It whether the Horns are in the conference or not.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

From someone in the room...he didn't walk out, he was forced out.  He started to cry while telling the team, and Demarco Murray cut him off and had a few choice words for him.  Told him to cut the bullshit and GTFO, called him fake, and said he made a choice and to quit crying.  A few seconds later Nick Bonitto dropped an F U and left the room.  That's when Lincoln walked out.

Is this true?

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not to thread-derail but I don't want to see a 12-team playoff with six teams from the SEC in It whether the Horns are in the conference or not.

Yea 3, MAYBE 4 (like once every decade)  at most.  A lot of times just 2.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Dont blame him one bit. Regardless of the ridiculous Norman vs LA “debate”, for guys that want to win, the USC move makes sense and its easier to recruit elite players.

There is also something disingenuous with the narrative that he’s simultaneously tucking tail and losing out on SEC recruiting advantages and access to the CFP.

Not saying thats the arguments you’re making but I pause at the notion that our own move to the SEC is wise if it makes it harder to win championships. You’d think Texas fans, in particular, would be outspoken about their future prospects. And upset about the move and being relegated further.

You sound scared. And also completely illogical. If playing in the SEC makes it harder to be good then why did Missouri (briefly) and A&M get better after they moved? 

The train is too far gone now. A lot of it was nonsensical hype but now 90% of high school players in the country have bought into the BS. Being in the SEC helps recruiting, and if your goal is winning a national title then you're going to have to be better than the top SEC teams. USC can be a little different because of location, but Texas can't. 

• Hook 'Em 4