Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

3 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Bottom line: Will the next coach have more or less wins in their first 4 years compared to that horrible disgusting, despicable, no good, Lincoln Riley?

I think someone already answered.  Likely very close total wise...take away year one though.  I'll say more losses year one for sure because this isn't the cushy transition LR was given.  I bet the truth is somewhere between, OMG, OU IS SO DEAD and THEY'RE ABOUT TO WIN IT ALL.  But what fun is that?  I choose to be an optimist.  So sue me. 

3 minutes ago, XForce said:

Because this board is everywhere and I’m too lazy to find a thread—wasn’t LSU broke or something? How the fuck they affording 15mil a year? JFC 

Leftover federal Covid funds from the State Department of Education.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Why are these guys hitting the transfer portal so quickly? I'm not complaining, but it doesn't make much sense. Are they not interested to see who OU hires? 

Specifically about Haselwood, there were rumblings about him portaling last year after the season. The thought this year was that he'd go the draft if he had a good year or the portal if he had a bad year. He had on 23 catches in 3 years at OU. He was a willing and good blocker at the WR position but not irreplaceable.

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

This may go down as one of the biggest blows to a program ever if they don't get the incoming hire right.

Lied to everyone 
Nuked the program two weeks before NSD1
Raided staff
Raided recruits and stole their largest recruiting pipeline
Piefaced the administration
Ran off in the middle of the night

It's almost as if... Lincoln Riley was a sleeper cell instituted long ago by the BOMC.   Long game bitches. 

go on..... i'm trying to figure out how we did it, but i'm all ears

20 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Lol. Riley isn’t scared of anything. He’s making an exceedingly calculated, smart move. 

Why not both?  You think Bob Stoops would've hung around for twenty years if ou were in the SEC.  Now, instead of worrying about Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Florida, aggy (before you laugh they're more willing to devote resources than all but two Pac schools), Tennessee (see aggy), and yes Texas (one day).

In the Pac, his only threat is Oregon and even then I'd much rather be at USC.

I wish we could go back in time 10 years and offer Saban 15 mil/year. He’s worth 3-4x that much for Alabama. 

You make it so high that they can’t say no. Texas has been shopping in the discount bin yet bragging about being the top earner. Pussy ass leadership. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

9 pages behind

requesting night crew summary update of day's events

Riley got bitched out by DeMarco Murray

Stoops is eating bags o dicks again

LSU is serious about football and decided to drop their dick on the table

Brian Kelly wants his players to meet him at 7am to say goodbye, tell them he loves them and that everything will be OK.

we are going to have to fire Sark for 50M and hire Urban at 30M per or be relegated to CUSA.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

Funny people saying USC is a slam dunk easy place to win when our current coach failed miserably.  
😑

You’re not seriously referring to ClayDoh as “coach”, are you? “Golly gee, all them boys are warriors…shucks we”re gonna go over the film and get some ice cream.”

• Haha 1

I want this to be true so badly...

I know it's been posted before I just need it to be true. 
Yes, bobby bag o dicks took the time to gather boxes, put Lil Lincolns shit in them, carefully tape them up just to throw it over a wall while cameras are rolling.
  • Haha 2

What's the appeal of USC for a football recruit that part of the country?

If you want the athletics ecosystem, and want to win, there's Nike World up there in Oregon.

If you care at all about brand name, David Shaw's been running a good program at Stanford (despite sucking in last few years).

If you want a beautiful campus, and there's some football history too (at least at QB position), Washington is available.

And finally, if you just want to stick around the Los Angeles area... UCLA.

I lived in California for a big part of my life and USC is like.... who cares?  Fans are apathetic and the stadium is empty.

Edited by 52-80
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

There seemed to be no shortage of appeal when Pete had things rolling back in the early 2000's. I'm not convinced LR can replicate that, but the potential is always there in Southern Cali. 

They were a juggernaut then.  But it's like selling Texas today on the success of MBTF 2000s... dont think kids will buy it. 

At least if you grew up in this state, TX is and has always been the flagship.  If you grew up in California, hard to see that USC has a cachet any stronger than the others

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

They were a juggernaut then.  But it's like selling Texas today on the success of MBTF 2000s... dont think kids will buy it. 

At least if you grew up in this state, TX is and has always been the flagship.  If you grew up in California, hard to see that USC has a cachet any stronger than the others

That kind of my point. All of the pieces that made them a juggernaut 15-20 years ago are still there. Wealthy alumni base that cares about superficial shit. Plenty of HS talent in SoCal to recruit with not much local competition. Plenty of star power due to USC alumni in Hollywood. When they arent winning there's too much other shit to pay attention to. But when they have a winning program, its easier to build the hype at SC than at most other schools. LA/SoCal/USC have a baked in advantage in that regard. You may not think they have more allure than other programs in the state, but 7 heisman trophys and multiple national championships would beg to differ.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Blotto said:

That kind of my point. All of the pieces that made them a juggernaut 15-20 years ago are still there. Wealthy alumni base that cares about superficial shit. Plenty of HS talent in SoCal to recruit with not much local competition. Plenty of star power due to USC alumni in Hollywood. When they arent winning there's too much other shit to pay attention to. But when they have a winning program, its easier to build the hype at SC than at most other schools. LA/SoCal/USC have a baked in advantage in that regard. You may not think they have more allure than other programs in the state, but 7 heisman trophys and multiple national championships would beg to differ.  

It really boiled down to two of your points, lots of local talent, and wealthy image conscious alumni. Football is obviously huge on a HS level in SoCal, and the JC system develops a lot of players as well. I played with some absolute animals at SBCC, and we were middling at best. I do think that the talent advantage has been diminished somewhat as kids are a lot more inclined to go across the country for the best option than stay home than in the past.

And one thing we can forget about early 2000s USC is they were so blatantly buying players they got a natty stripped

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

If you want the athletics ecosystem, and want to win, there's Nike World up there in Oregon.

If you care at all about brand name, David Shaw's been running a good program at Stanford (despite sucking in last few years).

If you want a beautiful campus, and there's some football history too (at least at QB position), Washington is available.

I lived in California for a big part of my life and USC is like.... who cares?  Fans are apathetic and the stadium is empty.

I mean I know people just think "West Coast" but Eugene and Seattle are as close to Los Angeles as Lincoln and Chicago are to Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I mean, the logical point to follow is that if you want all of that, there’s USC and only USC.