Matrix Resurrection

Nole-4-Life

6/10. they made better movies when they both were dudes.

Spoiler

question, at the end of the movie with the massive fight scene, was everyone including all the bots all smith? isn't that what he implied when he said "i can be anyone?" did he take over the matrix like he did the last time? if so, how did the ending happen if everyone is turned into smith, as what happened in the last movie? it took neo letting smith take over him and then the architect blowing up neo and then smith for the last matrix to end. if smith is free to roam this matrix, isn't he going to take over the matrix like i think he did at the end of the movie? if so, how did the last scene with the analyst happen? smith should've wrecked the matrix because everyone would've been him.

Edited by crash_davis

Just watched it and thought it was a decent action flick but I have no desire to watch it again where I can watch the original Matrix over and over.  I guess I’m not too bright but all the sequels kind of confuse me with what I am watching and what is being explained to me where the original makes total sense and is a perfect movie in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just watched it and thought it was a decent action flick but I have no desire to watch it again where I can watch the original Matrix over and over.  I guess I’m not too bright but all the sequels kind of confuse me with what I am watching and what is being explained to me where the original makes total sense and is a perfect movie in my opinion.

First it was they needed Neo and Smith both imprisoned in the matrix because of their connection, then by the end it was the Neo-Trinity connection that was the real power source to make it run. Instead of Smith being logical and discussing/teaming up with Neo, he immediately defaults to trying to corrupt it again. Then he (and his handiwork) inexplicably disappears before the final scene. This seems like Lana Wachowski was really confused and didn’t know which way to go with it. 

Completely agree that it has some flaws of the other sequels where the creators felt entitled by their original great work to think themselves geniuses and make the next chapters confusing and non-logical and if fans don’t like, well fuck them they just aren’t smart enough to understand our brilliance! [/ Merovingian and “Train Man”]

The more I think about it, none of the conflict made any sense. In the real world, humans and the machines were at peace. Who cares if the machines have to reboot the matrix occasionally? It doesn’t negatively affect the real world free humans or the human batteries. Other than going into the matrix to see if a human wants to choose the red pill and be set free, there’s zero reason to ever boot in.

I think this was why Smith was poorly developed. They needed an antagonist but he just existed for the sake of action set pieces and had zero motivation.

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The more I think about it, none of the conflict made any sense. In the real world, humans and the machines were at peace. Who cares if the machines have to reboot the matrix occasionally? It doesn’t negatively affect the real world free humans or the human batteries. Other than going into the matrix to see if a human wants to choose the red pill and be set free, there’s zero reason to ever boot in.

I think this was why Smith was poorly developed. They needed an antagonist but he just existed for the sake of action set pieces and had zero motivation.

There wasn’t peace. The robots started fighting each other because of the loss in battery power. So you ended up with 2 factions - the ones at peace with humans and working with them, and the ones that were still hunting humans (that didn’t stop for long if at all the way I interpreted it) and trying to lockdown and overwork the batteries 

I thought robot factions were warring with each other due to scarcity of power until Doogie Howser figured out that somehow plugging Neo and Trinity in plus giving plugged-in humans a shitty realistic experience generated more power than the original matrix, plus fewer people ever questioned it or wanted to red pill. Doogie feared if Neo and Trinity left, his matrix would get fucked up and jeopardize the machines’ power and may cause fighting to resume. 

So 10,000 foot view: humans in Io are happy. Machines are happy. Plugged in humans seem satisfied. No war. The point of the movie was to fuck all this up so Neo and Trinity could unjack and resume boning. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 11:20 AM, Bateshorn said:

The Wachowski’s had exactly one movie in them: a subversive telling of the Christ/Messiah mythos through the lens of a futuristic world where humans are enslaved by robot overlords. Combined with some revolutionary concepts about filming action scenes, an encyclopedic knowledge of film lore,  and a costume design sensibility built around their emerging trans identity, you get the original Matrix.  

Everything else has been Hollywood throwing money at them trying to chase that high. No matter what bullshit they tell Vanity Fair or who ever is interviewing them at the moment, it’s clear that have no vision beyond the original film. 

And there’s no shame in that game: Harper Lee and Salinger only had one book in them.  Sometimes genius arrives in a single pure form. 

The freeway scene in Matrix Reloaded was bad ass. So was the mansion scene. The third one sucked, I’ll give you that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

The machines could have avoided all that trouble by just using cats instead of humans. They have a higher body temperature, they reproduce in much greater numbers, happily live in higher density and can be kept obedient with catnip rather than a massive supercomputer to run a constant simulation.

Why bother with humans at all?

The Catrix. 

Edited by Xminus6
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

I can't tell if this movie was so intentionally bad, that it was actually good or if it was simply bad.

The set-up was a massive middle finger to Warner Brothers.  I would love to read the contracts involved on both sides that ended up in the abomination of a movie. 

I'm almost not even sure where to begin as far as the bad and the ugly for the movie.  What in the hell happened to Agent Smith?  Why did Trinity end up as a Mary Lou at the end?  Neo can't fly but can now do shockwaves?  The dialogue was laughably bad at moments.

However, there were still some good, thought provoking moments I enjoyed.  Count me in the minority, but I appreciated how they replaced Morpheus.  This is likely how we will develop AI in the future, by placing programs in an open world environment in a looping scenario, until they become self aware.  Also, The Analyst is a great replacement for The Architect.  A malevolent blend between The Oracle and The Architect that provides accurate commentary on the polarization of humans due to emotions.

The movie had some really interesting elements in it that I enjoyed, but overall the story was so bad I can't ignore it.  Would have rather none of the cast returned and we could have written this off from the get go.

This movie was fucking terrible. Like one of those made for TV Star Wars Christmas specials kindof terrible.

I assume Warner Bros forced the project and Washowski tried to get cute especially with the Meta bits that made it feel like an episode of Community only Dan Harmon would have written a better story.

Complete garbage.

8 hours ago, F250 said:

This movie was fucking terrible. Like one of those made for TV Star Wars Christmas specials kindof terrible.

I assume Warner Bros forced the project and Washowski tried to get cute especially with the Meta bits that made it feel like an episode of Community only Dan Harmon would have written a better story.

Complete garbage.

Harmon writing a Matrix script would be fascinating. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:49 AM, Red Five said:

I thought it was fine, and enjoyed being back in that universe. Doubt I'll ever watch it again. 

On 12/23/2021 at 4:51 PM, Kermit said:

This film is a searing critique on this nostalgia crap that Hollywood continues pumps out. At least that’s what I got out of it. They were going to make another one with or without them. Better to make one with the original cast. 

On 1/1/2022 at 2:10 AM, closetohumping said:

Don’t regret watching it.  Won’t watch again intentionally.  Keanu is good so is Carrie moss

These three posts together = my review.   I liked the Bugs, Analyst, and Morpheus characters, enjoyed Reeves and Moss.  Won’t watch again, but don’t feel my time was wasted.  

HUGE fan of (most of) the OG trilogy. 

I didn't like 4 at first...until he broke out of his funk as a game designer.  But looking back it was pretty funny how he and Trinity were stuck in their new "lives" as game designer and soccer mom.  It got better, and I enjoyed being part of the Matrix movie environment once again even if it isn't like the OG movie. 

Gotta pay attention to subtle clues which I love about the series, almost missed some of the early reflections in tables/windows when I glanced at my cell (at home).  The story was clever as usual and checked most the boxes for me.  Not a fan of NPH in this role....can't put my finger on it, but made the movie too comedic I guess. 

I wish there was more big fight scenes.  Reloaded was the best at non-stop fighting and chases....it has great reachability and the action/filming still holds up well.  

In the end...4 probably didn't really need to be made...the fan in me just wanted to feel the Matrix gain...

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i didn't get the idea of an old neo or whatever else was happening in the reflections. like if neo if an old guy, why isn't he an old guy outside of the matrix? either it's an important detail or it's not

Felt like there was something missing, like a deleted scene or something.

I suppose the explanation is that Neo saw Trinity as she originally was, and she saw him as he originally was, while everybody else within the Matrix saw them as different people (I could not make out what her reflection looked like, but I'm guessing it was some blonde Tiffany type).

Felt like sloppy writing - "we're gonna say that several decades have gone by for everybody in the Matrix, and we're going to have Neo and Trinity have these alternate avatars, but we want to have Keanu and Carrie-Ann still around, so fuck it, Matrix was disguising them, but they'll look like they did before, just aged 10 or 20 years."

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i didn't get the idea of an old neo or whatever else was happening in the reflections. like if neo if an old guy, why isn't he an old guy outside of the matrix? either it's an important detail or it's not

The reflection was because the Matrix had coded their digital avatars (or whatever) to look like someone else so they would t be recognized. Bugs explained that is what made him so hard to find. She was one of the only ones who saw the real Neo when he tried to fly/walk off the building but didn’t fall. 

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Felt like sloppy writing - "we're gonna say that several decades have gone by for everybody in the Matrix, and we're going to have Neo and Trinity have these alternate avatars, but we want to have Keanu and Carrie-Ann still around, so fuck it, Matrix was disguising them, but they'll look like they did before, just aged 10 or 20 years."

There was some throw away line about “we still haven’t figured out how the machines made you age so slowly,” so that was supposed to be their explanation - technology they can’t explain. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That was probably the dumbest part of a pretty dumb movie. "We've been looking for you for 60 years. There's this famous guy in The Matrix who made a video game series about The Matrix containing every conceivable detail of Neo's story that only a few people ever knew. But he didn't look like you in computer stimulation where programs can change their outer appearance at will, so obviously it wasn't you."

• Haha 2