Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

American Conservatives have taken being psychotically, galactically stupid to levels beyond human comprehension. 

And the bullshit they spout as if it were a fact is almost always followed by a directive to others to "educate themselves."

The stupid have become intellectual snobs.  It's amazing, really.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

unfortunately, the last two decades of American """peace keeping""" have somewhat stolen public enthusiasm for actual peace keeping. Thanks, dick cheney and dubya!

Do you believe direct engagement with Russian forces would be "actual peace keeping." 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

The Saudi move could chip away at the supremacy of the U.S. dollar in the international financial system, which Washington has relied on for decades to print Treasury bills it uses to finance its budget deficit.

“The oil market, and by extension the entire global commodities market, is the insurance policy of the status of the dollar as reserve currency,” said economist Gal Luft, co-director of the Washington-based Institute for the Analysis of Global Security who co-wrote a book about de-dollarization. “If that block is taken out of the wall, the wall will begin to collapse.”

I think you need to realize no one in the CR understands how the USD functions as a reserve currency or why this matters. I agree with everything you are saying and think you are right.  I work in crude oil trading and as soon as all of these things happened we knew there would be ramifications like this that the general public does not understand. I think this was a very short sighted move by the current admin for brownie points and we will see the ramifications for years to come. 

For the those of you who are about to neg me, your dollar is going to lose value over time as a direct result of this and you should care.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

For the those of you who are about to neg me, your dollar is going to lose value over time as a direct result of this and you should care.  

My dollar is losing value because the fed has pumped more than 8 TRILLION into the market since the start of covid, on top of pumping corporate profits for years. You can thank the great orange one for the years of stimulus during a hot market.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

My dollar is losing value because the fed has pumped more than 8 TRILLION into the market since the start of covid, on top of pumping corporate profits for years. You can thank the great orange one for the years of stimulus during a hot market.

Yes but this only compounds it further and will make it worse in the future when we print more money. 

9 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I think you need to realize no one in the CR understands how the USD functions as a reserve currency or why this matters. I agree with everything you are saying and think you are right.  I work in crude oil trading and as soon as all of these things happened we knew there would be ramifications like this that the general public does not understand. I think this was a very short sighted move by the current admin for brownie points and we will see the ramifications for years to come. 

Whatever point your making, you have Mack Brown as your avatar.   I award you no internet points and you should feel bad about yourself.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tex48 said:

What exactly was the "very short sighted move by the current admin for brownie points"??  Imposing sanctions on Russia for invading a peaceful neighboring democracy?  Really?   You know what will really revalue the dollar.. doing absolutely nothing and letting Putin start WW3 without consequence.   

For future reference, when China invades Taiwan, doing nothing will not strengthen the dollar either.

• Hook 'Em 8

Why does this cunt have any sort of platform at all on this topic? I get that some love hearing a black woman agree with them on the problems with black people, but she has nothing in this other than loving a dictator for some dumbass reason.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Tex48 said:

Lol this is bullshit.  No one trusts the Chinese government and if the Saudis want a reserve currency they trust they’ll still either go Swiss francs euros pounds or dollars.  Yuan fucking nuts if you think anyone will put cash in Chinese denomination.

• Hook 'Em 6

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why does this cunt have any sort of platform at all on this topic? I get that some love hearing a black woman agree with them on the problems with black people, but she has nothing in this other than loving a dictator for some dumbass reason.

I think you nailed it.

She's a young, black woman who will shout the GQP party lines at the top of her lungs, including the one about how awful black people are.

They'd find platforms for a million more of her if they could find a million more of her.

2 hours ago, Restless Native said:

Let me know when you decide to do it, because I would take off from work to see that.

Shit, I'll bring the beer. Lets do this.

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I was looking at her wiki page, because I was trying to remember when she made the switch from liberal to conservative. I'm not sure about the accuracy but it looks like that gamergate was somehow instrumental in the process...

Owens launched SocialAutopsy.com in 2016, a website she said would expose bullies on the Internet by tracking their digital footprint.The site would have solicited users to take screenshots of offensive posts and send them to the website, where they would be categorized by the user's name.She used crowdfunding on Kickstarter for the website.

The proposal was immediately controversial, drawing criticism that Owens was de-anonymizing (doxing) Internet users and violating their privacy. According to The Daily Dot, "People from all sides of the anti-harassment debate were quick to criticize the database, calling it a public shaming list that would encourage doxing and retaliatory harassment." Both conservatives and progressives involved in the Gamergate controversy condemned the website.

In response, people began posting Owens's private details online. With scant evidence, Owens blamed the doxing on progressives involved in the Gamergate controversy. After this, she earned the support of conservatives involved in the Gamergate controversy, including right-wing political commentators and Trump supporters Milo Yiannopoulos and Mike Cernovich. Subsequently Owens became a conservative, saying in 2017, "I became a conservative overnight ... I realized that liberals were actually the racists. Liberals were actually the trolls ... Social Autopsy is why I'm conservative".

Kickstarter suspended funding for Social Autopsy, and the website was never created.

Wasnt Fitlump mixed up in that dumbass "controversy" as well? Apparently it was quite influential in launching the political careers of numerous vapid cunts. Who knew?

2 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Destabilizing the US dollar has massive negative economic consequences for every developed nation on earth, and it is in no one’s best interest.  The dollar will remain the safe haven currency despite this move.  Saudis want to replace the dollar with the yuan as their reserve currency?  Pretty sure our good friend Gritty would have something to say about that.  I opulent hitch my wagon to their house of cards economy or autocratic gubment.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tex48 said:

You're an absolute fucking moron if you believe that Chinese or Saudi interest in moving away from the dollar is directly tied to sanctions over Ukraine (which is what the person you're agreeing with thinks). And you're a special moron if you think giving into Putin would not result in Russia's continued progress in weakening our status globally, including by replacing the dollar as the primary reserve currency. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You're an absolute fucking moron if you believe that Chinese or Saudi interest in moving away from the dollar is directly tied to sanctions over Ukraine (which is what the person you're agreeing with thinks). And you're a special moron if you think giving into Putin would not result in Russia's continued progress in weakening our status globally, including by replacing the dollar as the primary reserve currency. 

I don't think it's specifically tied to it.  I think it finally gave them the excuse to do it and it gives other countries the excuse to do it. But I do not believe should give into Putin on any level and we should make him pay for every step he takes. 

Edited by Tex48

2 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I think you need to realize no one in the CR understands how the USD functions as a reserve currency or why this matters. 

Gee, I wish I was you. You're dreamy with all those brains.

spacer.png

If all a person is is a consumer and a tax payer, you're dead right in your single-mindedness about this aspect of the Ukraine War.

The hate engine helped people forget that we're citizens of a country and should care about each other as well as our goddamn money.

We're also citizens of the Free World. Some people take up arms to defend that world. Some spend treasure. Some can't look up from their balance sheet. 

Dickens' A Christmas Carol is maybe my favorite story in literature. Scrooge is not an outrageously drawn caricature; he's the soul of so much of the world Dickens so brilliantly portrayed.

Spoiler

"Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."

"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."

"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge.

"Both very busy, sir."

"What shall I put you down for?"

"Nothing!" Scrooge replied.

"You wish to be anonymous?"

"I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge. "I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned--they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there."

"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."

"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides--excuse me--I don't know that."

"But you might know it," observed the gentleman.

"It's not my business," Scrooge returned. "It's enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I don't think it's specifically tied to it.  I think it finally gave them the excuse to do it and it gives other countries the excuse to do it. But I do not believe should give into Putin on any level and we should make him pay for every step he takes. 

So... why exactly are you agreeing with everything the idiot said, including that freezing Russia's central bank reserves "catastrophically damaged" the dollar? You literally said this was a "short sighted move by the administration" for brownie points. So I'm at a loss at what you're talking about now. Do we make them pay or not? 

Also, I'm pretty sure the idiot's preference that everyone adopt Bitcoin would also replace the US Dollar as the global reserve currency and would have a much more substantial "negative ramifications for years to come." Maybe choose your bedfellow more carefully before lecturing to the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Meanwhile the USD is at damn near parity vs Euro at 1.09. If anything the stronger dollar is a headwind for US multinationals. 

Thankyou.  Reading through the comments was like watching the disinformation machine play out in real time.  

Fucking idiotvibes posts about the dollar crashing and how it's tied to Ukraine sanctions.  People react to the sanctions part, without challenging the basis, which, of course, is just utter fucking nonsense.  It's how disinformation becomes commonly accepted. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So... why exactly are you agreeing with everything the idiot said, including that freezing Russia's central bank reserves "catastrophically damaged" the dollar? You literally said this was a "short sighted move by the administration" for brownie points. So I'm at a loss at what you're talking about now. Do we make them pay or not? 

Also, I'm pretty sure the idiot's preference that everyone adopt Bitcoin would also replace the US Dollar as the global reserve currency and would have a much more substantial "negative ramifications for years to come." Maybe choose your bedfellow more carefully before lecturing to the rest of us. 

I think it was short sighted bc it took too much time. I'm pissed we didn't go straight for the jugular to start with and ban russian crude domestically tbh even if our allies didn't follow.  We also let the Italians and other countries cut deals with Russian commodities such as aluminum before we pushed through sanctions. We let Putin's semi-state owned enterprises make money before we pushed through sanction that actually mattered.  At the end of the day, the oligarchs and Putin still got paid and I believe we cost ourselves and focused on the wrong things. 

Edited by Tex48

1 minute ago, Tex48 said:

I think it was short sighted bc it didn't have teeth and took too much time. I'm pissed we didn't go straight for the jugular to start with and ban russian crude domestically tbh even if our allies didn't follow.  We also let the Italians and other countries cut deals with Russian commodities such as aluminum before we pushed through sanctions. We let Putin's semi-state owned enterprises make money before we pushed through sanction that actually mattered.  At the end of the day, the oligarchs and Putin still got paid and I believe we cost ourselves and focused on the wrong things. 

We use so little Russian crude that I can't imagine our banning of it is consequential either way. At any rate, it doesn't sound like you actually agree with @Immaculate Vibes at all. Again, you should double check what you're agreeing with before you come in hot to lecture the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

We use so little Russian crude that I can't imagine our banning of it is consequential either way. At any rate, it doesn't sound like you actually agree with @Immaculate Vibes at all. Again, you should double check what you're agreeing with before you come in hot to lecture the rest of us. 

I know it isn't that significant domestically but a lot of American companies still work and move Russian crude abroad. Most of those companies did exit their holdings but they took their time. 

• Like 1

I keep reading stories about how shelters, evacuation corridors, hospitals, etc keep getting hit. I wonder how much of that is due to pure malignance, poor military training, and/or inferior weapons and systems. Not to say that Putin isn't unscrupulous enough to murder civilians by the bushel, but  I don't see how that could be his primary objective. I wonder if it's yet another example of how poorly equipped Russia actually is.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I keep reading stories about how shelters, evacuation corridors, hospitals, etc keep getting hit. I wonder how much of that is due to pure malignance, poor military training, and/or inferior weapons and systems. Not to say that Putin isn't unscrupulous enough to murder civilians by the bushel, but  I don't see how that could be his primary objective. I wonder if it's yet another example of how poorly equipped Russia actually is.

Yes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I know it isn't that significant domestically but a lot of American companies still work and move Russian crude abroad. Most of those companies did exit their holdings but they took their time. 

Again, you are stating the very opposite of  IVibes.   It makes absolutely no sense to say you agree with him, that the admin is shortsighted and imposing sanctions for "brownie points" whatever that means, and then say we needed to impose MORE and QUICKER sanctions to protect the US dollar.