Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I think Rock took a moment to pick his best course of action. He decided, like a responsible adult, not to throw gas on the fire. He could have chosen to obliquely needle Smith instead of the direct insult described above. Rock is wit. He thankfully held his fire because he kept sight on what would be best on a world stage.

As I said on another post, I would not want to be the person Rock is focusing his anger at with a mic in his hand.

Fuck Will Smith. His good guy image from the past will sustain much of his popularity even though it shouldn't. 

After this, Rock will get eleventy billion dollars from Netflix for his next comedy special. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

My ex used a mattress scale.  

That awkward moment after a breakup when she announces, "And by the way, your balls weigh as much as a sweat-soaked Queen!"  

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I guess Smith is stuck with Jada because they have children together, but he should have dropped her years ago. She publicly admits to cheating on him, meanwhile professing her undying romantic love for Tupac. I mean act like a leading man for f***'s sake. 

It's well known around town they're open. The dude was banging Margot ffs.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I was thinking those super market scales in the fruit section, the one closest to the bananas and grapes.

Remember Morganna the kissing bandit?  She claimed she was kicked out of a supermarket once for trying to weigh her rack using those fruit scales.  Can't post a link, but I read that when I was a boy and it really stuck with me for some reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

But it was during an Expos AAA team so she used the metric system.  And rightfully so, she was kicked out of professional baseball.  The whore! 

Actually, I miss her sometimes.  Until she shivved Max Patkin in a South Atlantic League parking lot.  Fuck her.

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

I've seen some mention online that maybe this is a lot like a Doug Christie type relationship. If you're not aware of that, it was a pretty wild scene with an NBA player where his wife was ridiculously overbearing and always making him do things in public to show how great their relationship was. Behind the scenes she was doing things like weighing his balls to see if he was cheating on her after he got back from a road trip. There's some thought that things were peachy until Jada took it the wrong way and possibly gave Will Smith the look of you need to go rectify that. So I'm not so sure Will Smith is okay with her sleeping with other dudes as much as he may not really have a say in the matter. Doesn't excuse his behavior but there's something very very strange about that relationship. 

The whole thing just seems very abusive.  Perhaps it's mutually abusive.  But Smith certainly seems to be wounded--that was clear both when he was yelling at Rock and during his speech 30 minutes later.

In amongst all this somewhere is a discussion on female encouragement/facilitation/promotion of male violence and the role it plays in our society.  When the camera was initially on them, Smith was laughing at the joke.  A moment later, he's smacking Chris Rock.  And there's just no way that 180* reversal comes without her.  I mean, Will has agency; he's responsible for his own actions.  But one can't ignore her culpability in all this.

And at the same time, I really don't want to see a bunch of longform Think pieces on this shit.  Sometimes celebrity bad behavior can just be funny.  The clown show doesn't have to be a commentary on man's inhumanity to man.  Sometimes, they're just clowns.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

I gained alot of respect for Rock, dude took it like a champ and kept rolling

Immediately after he starts to say something where it seems he's about to just blast him but then he stops himself and does that little "serenity now" type reset and deep breath before going the safe route. I really want to know what he was about to say. 

Will Smith is runner up to Putin as guy burning his house down in 2022. He built that squeaky clean brand for over 30 years and now he's known as the the mentally weak cuck who's allowed his wife to abuse him to the point he's completely unhinged. It's disgusting to see. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Immediately after he starts to say something where it seems he's about to just blast him but then he stops himself and does that little "serenity now" type reset and deep breath before going the safe route. I really want to know what he was about to say. 

56 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

After this, Rock will get eleventy billion dollars from Netflix for his next comedy special. 

Who would NOT tune in to a Chris Rock special a few weeks from now in full anticipation of Chris Rock's retelling and/or making fun of Will Smith. Will Smith is lucky it wasn't someone like Bill Burr who would do a full 90 minutes eviscerating Jada and Will 1000x worse than a G.I. Jane joke.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

In amongst all this somewhere is a discussion on female encouragement/facilitation/promotion of male violence and the role it plays in our society. 

Women exaggerating offense to encourage male violence is a tale as old as time. Just like the male tendency to play into those idiotic provocations. 

Fun to see that the wealthy and powerful fall in the same traps as us schlubs.

Just as dumb as we are.

we accept you we accept you

ONE OF US!

KeMwV1.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Will Smith is runner up to Putin as guy burning his house down in 2022. He built that squeaky clean brand for over 30 years and now he's known as the the mentally weak cuck who's allowed his wife to abuse him to the point he's completely unhinged. It's disgusting to see. 

he actually says 'ohhh, I could...' but then visibly shakes his head and you can practically see the thought bubble: 'nope, not gonna do it' and shake it off.

5 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Who would NOT tune in to a Chris Rock special a few weeks from now in full anticipation of Chris Rock's retelling and/or making fun of Will Smith. Will Smith is lucky it wasn't someone like Bill Burr who would do a full 90 minutes eviscerating Jada and Will 1000x worse than a G.I. Jane joke.

oh i imagine BB will still have some observations...

tenor (19).gif

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Women exaggerating offense to encourage male violence is a tale as old as time. Just like the male tendency to play into those idiotic provocations. 

Just as dumb as we are.

we accept you we accept you

ONE OF US!

KeMwV1.gif

Tiffany Haddish is on Will Smith’s side after he slapped Chris Rock on stage at the 2022 Oscars Sunday night.

Haddish, who starred in the 2017 movie “Girls Trip” with Jada Pinkett Smith, told People that seeing “a black man stand up for his wife” meant “so much” to her.

“As a woman, who has been unprotected, for someone to say, ‘Keep my wife’s name out your mouth, leave my wife alone,’ that’s what your husband is supposed to do, right? Protect you,” she explained.

The comedian, 42, then reiterated, “That meant the world to me.”

However, the “Night School” star recognized that the world “might not like how it went down” even though, for her, it was “the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen because it made me believe that there are still men out there that love and care about their women, their wives.”

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

A great example of what I'm talking about is Katherine Hiegl.  She had a 10+ year runway ahead of her of making hundreds of millions of dollars doing rom coms and shit.  Flamed out because she was difficult to work with and he mom was a cuz.

If you look you'll find way more examples of women getting blacklisted than men.

• Hook 'Em 1

Since I'm guessing most didn't see anything else from the show, the other funny moment for me was an online vote for top "cheer-worthy" movie moments, apparently hijacked by Zack Snyder or DC comics fans.

They played a clip for each of the top 5 and number 1 was "The Flash enters the Speed Force" from Justice League. lmao

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Will Smith is lucky it wasn't someone like Bill Burr who would do a full 90 minutes eviscerating Jada and Will 1000x worse than a G.I. Jane joke.

Burr would have kept roasting both of them on stage until security came and got him.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Probably something like, "I should've just fucked her, then you wouldn't have had to get all upset."

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Tiffany Haddish is on Will Smith’s side after he slapped Chris Rock on stage at the 2022 Oscars Sunday night.

Haddish, who starred in the 2017 movie “Girls Trip” with Jada Pinkett Smith, told People that seeing “a black man stand up for his wife” meant “so much” to her.

“As a woman, who has been unprotected, for someone to say, ‘Keep my wife’s name out your mouth, leave my wife alone,’ that’s what your husband is supposed to do, right? Protect you,” she explained.

However, the “Night School” star recognized that the world “might not like how it went down” even though, for her, it was “the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen because it made me believe that there are still men out there that love and care about their women, their wives.”

By far the funniest shit I've ever heard her say.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Burr would have kept roasting both of them on stage until security came and got him.

You fucking one bridge having town. 

Once a year or so I like to rewatch the takedown of the Philly audience just to remind me of how powerful not giving a fuck really is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

You fucking one bridge having town. 

Once a year or so I like to rewatch the takedown of the Philly audience just to remind me of how powerful not giving a fuck really is.

Throw out a topic.  Let's talk about heart disease, something you're all gonna fucking die of and I'm gonna laugh, it's gonna be great.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Throw out a topic.  Let's talk about heart disease, something you're all gonna fucking die of and I'm gonna laugh, it's gonna be great.

Fuck all of you and fuck the liberty bell. And fuck Ben Franklin too.  SEVEN MINUTES LEFT

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Fuck all of you and fuck the liberty bell. And fuck Ben Franklin too.  SEVEN MINUTES LEFT

Can't remember off the top of my head but the bits about Rocky are all time. Something like "your biggest sports hero was made up"

36 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't always agree with you, but there is truth in your statement. It's totally dysfunctional, but I've certainly watched enough males and females with insecurities give put downs and push each other's buttons to get responses but that is not an enjoyable past time for me. At least not in the relationships I have. That is not love at all at all.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
stray apostrophe

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Chris Rock gave the introduction speech for PTA winning best director and devoted the entire time to absolutely ripping PTA, Cooper Hoffman and Alana Haim. The jokes included shots at Cooper only getting the role due to nepotism (i.e., his dead father), and that it wasn't believable that a guy that looked like him could get with Alana Haim. 

Exactly how fucking ugly is he?

alana-haim-nom-pro-gettyimages-135791796

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Can't remember off the top of my head but the bits about Rocky are all time. Something like "your biggest sports hero was made up"

Yeah, something about how Joe Frazier is from there, but he was black so they can't like him and they made a statue about a 3-foot Italian who wasn't even real.

• Haha 2

It felt like Chris Rock crossed the line, Will Smith checked him for it, and Rock responded, in essence, “touché.” Neither man left humiliated, and everyone carried on. Will Smith defended his wife’s honor, and Rock cemented his reputation as a pro and a fearless comedian.

https://uproxx.com/movies/will-smith-slap-saved-oscars/

Well, this should shut up the stupid-ass conspiracy theorists on this thread. Academy is condemns Smith's actinos, is investigating and "strongly considered" removing Smith from the telecast after slapping Rock and before winning Best Actor.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/28/entertainment/academy-members-discuss-will-smith-oscars-slap/index.html

(CNN)The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences in a statement issued on Monday condemned the actions of best actor winner Will Smith after the "King Richard" star stormed the stage and slapped presenter Chris Rock in the face during Sunday's Oscars ceremony.

"The Academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night's show," the statement said. "We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law."

Earlier on Monday, CNN learned that the Academy leadership "strongly considered" removing Smith from the Oscars telecast after the incident, according to a source close to the situation. 

"Academy leadership strongly considered removing Will Smith from last night's broadcast following the incident. There were immediate discussions but the Academy decision makers were seated in various spots in the Dolby Theater and couldn't mobilize to make a decision before he won best actor," the source said.

Following the ceremony, the Academy Awards tweeted a short statement about the on-stage incident that read: "The Academy does not condone violence of any form. Tonight we are delighted to celebrate our 94th Academy Awards winners, who deserve this moment of recognition from their peers and movie lovers around the world."

At least a dozen members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, the organization behind the Oscars, met virtually on Monday morning to discuss a response to Smith slapping Rock, according to two sources with knowledge of the meeting.

The meeting was described as "heated" and "divided." There was no agreement on further action, according to the sources.

The dozen members who met on their own volition and are being described as influential and recognizable members of the Academy, including actors and directors. The group does not have any disciplinary power, but they are considered high profile enough that the Board of Governor's for the Academy could be influenced in any response they may have.

Some people on the call said the Academy mishandled the incident with its initial tweet. Others feel that the situation was handled properly and no further steps should be taken, according to the sources who spoke to CNN.

It's unclear if the Academy leadership is planning on meeting to discuss the unprecedented situation. CNN has contacted the Academy for further comment.

The Academy's Board of Governors has the power to discipline members who violate their code of conduct through a vote for suspension or expulsion from the Academy.

CNN has reached out to Smith's representatives for comment.

There are more than 9,000 voting members of the Academy, comprised of Hollywood artists and film executives.

I dunno.  Men deal with hair loss, and the attendant joking all the time and for years.

And, frankly, black women deal with variations of hair loss and there are a fair number of "weave" jokes and whatnot to go with it, to the point that some are self-effacing.

I'm not sure that Jada is undergoing anything that a shitload of other black women have gone through. I don't think it is so unique as to single her out for any kind of special treatment.  I am pretty sure she's a diva and needs to get over herself, hair or no hair.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1