Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You’re funny

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't believe that for a second. I think this is all entirely his doing. 

Here are two examples of guys not knowing jack shit but needing to have some fucking dude they’ve never met who has the title of AD at Texas on his card put up on a pedestal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The number of actual boosters for those schools in either state's lege is not that big. They might have a few more grads but how many of those politicians are going to take some big courageous stand on such an unimportant issue?

The BMDs cut campaign checks and have friends who cut campaign checks. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The number of actual boosters for those schools in either state's lege is not that big. They might have a few more grads but how many of those politicians are going to take some big courageous stand on such an unimportant issue?

It's not boosters in the lege, it's just simply alums from schools that realize their school is fucked. It doesn't have to be a fucking 100 millionaire that got elected. It just needs to be every Tech, Baylor, and TCU elected person who realizes they're fucked if they don't gum the wheels. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

It's not boosters in the lege, it's just simply alums from schools that realize their school is fucked. It doesn't have to be a fucking 100 millionaire that got elected. It just needs to be every Tech, Baylor, and TCU elected person who realizes they're fucked if they don't gum the wheels. 

and they have all of the precedent with all of that legislation drafted to stop aggy in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Are there enough of them? And of those are there enough of them that really care that much about college sports?

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Are there enough of them? And of those are there enough of them that really care that much about college sports?

I dont know. But assume every single one of them cares about college sports when they feel like all of their college sports will disappear if they don't act. It's not that hard. 

Just now, Valmy77 said:

There certainly are.  But as has been discussed, this is probably the best time for this to go down when the requirements for a legislature quorum have fled the state, our governor is a Texas Ex, and there's probably nothing that can be done in this legislative special session.

The best the opposition can hope for is enough legislators will communicate a threat of cutting future funding.  Whether that's enough to shake up UT brass remains to be seen.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Here are two examples of guys not knowing jack shit but needing to have some fucking dude they’ve never met who has the title of AD at Texas on his card put up on a pedestal. 

I know nothing about the goings on wrt to Texas athletics. I just find it weird that you seem to always chime in to specifically note that CDC, the athletic director at Texas, is a hindrance to the athletic dept, despite the fact that Texas athletics has only improved since he took over that spot.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

There certainly are.  But as has been discussed, this is probably the best time for this to go down when the requirements for a legislature quorum have fled the state, our governor is a Texas Ex, and there's probably nothing that can be done in this legislative special session.

The best the opposition can hope for is enough legislators will communicate a threat of cutting future funding.  Whether that's enough to shake up UT brass remains to be seen.

I am perfectly good with having state funding cut off for going to the SEC.  Any University in the State of Texas that goes to the SEC will lose all of it's funding, backdated to the day they joined the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is this a done deal? Don't know, but what I do know is we are about to learn how savvy CDC and Hartzell are or are not.  To line up Texas legislature support for the move in the background before all of this became public is extremely difficult to do. If they have all of the Texas legislature votes that matter, that is a helluva job they've done.

As the former leader of the Texas Senate and member for 13 years,   hopefully BOR Chairman Kevin Eltief has laid the groundwork.    Don't think he would let the lege be blindsided.   He impresses as a shrewd little bastard.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

https://www.bringonthecats.com/adventures-of-the-big-12-series

Bring on the Cats! I wish he was still creating new material. Not sure why he stopped. Such great stuff. 

It is from 2010 so....

Texas: And, finally, I'm afraid to ask. A&M?

Texas A&M: I want to join the sex conference.

(Texas puts his face in his palms...)

Texas: Do you mean the SEC conference?

Texas A&M: Yeah, I want to join the sex conference.

Oklahoma: I think we should let him go.

Texas: We can't. The state legislature says he can't go anywhere without me.

(Texas A&M puts his mouth over the microphone in front of him on the table and tries to swallow it...)

Ha, this is actually my favorite part. 

Missouri: So, yeah, I'm out. Fuck you, fuck you, (points at Kansas) and double fuck you.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

finebaum live on SECN just now:

bjork is the first AD to show up for these meetings in 10 years, and to be here on the day when zwernemeisterman drops his chronicle story = "the prevailing winds in the building"

I'm sure the SEC will allow the Ags to advocate for their own interests to a certain extent, but I wonder how much public fuckery they will have the patience for if the majority of the schools feel like this is a big win for them. I thought a big thing for the SEC was presenting a unified alliance on things. 

Also curious just how far the ags will push things if they are looking at long odds of blocking the move. 

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I hate this move, so thinking he is behind it is not exactly putting him on a pedestal.

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It has nothing to do with like or don’t like. He’s not calling any shots on this deal and isn’t important to getting any of it done. 

Beyond that, he’s an excellent fundraiser and a pretty good personnel guy. He made a fool of himself during the coaching search for football and pissed legitimate money off with his antics. He’s been a net negative out of the gate on NIL. There are people here and elsewhere who will follow-up and say there’s no way to know on any of that and they’re simply uninformed and incorrect. 

So, for me, he’s fine. But I don’t put folks on pedestals, much less gladhanding fundraisers who behave fiefdom first, program welfare second. 

The word I’ve heard from a money guy to describe CDC was moron. Bummed me out bc all I had heard is how amazing he is blah blah blah. Sounds to me like Eltife is super involved.

2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

The word I’ve heard from a money guy to describe CDC was moron. Bummed me out bc all I had heard is how amazing he is blah blah blah. Sounds to me like Eltife is super involved.

Well it seems he knows when to get out of the way then. Or maybe they just distract him by jangling some keys or something.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'd love to see them try to reapportion the PUF/AUF funding split.  Good luck with that.

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'm sure the SEC will allow the Ags to advocate for their own interests to a certain extent, but I wonder how much public fuckery they will have the patience for if the majority of the schools feel like this is a big win for them. I thought a big thing for the SEC was presenting a unified alliance on things. 

Also curious just how far the ags will push things if they are looking at long odds of blocking the move. 

they really showed their asses to the nation yesterday.

according to hangdog bjork, they left to have their own identity, which means without the sec badge of singularity, they are openly admitting they have no identity.

and they are willing to cry in public to prevent the rest of their league from taking away the sec badge of singularity.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont know. But assume every single one of them cares about college sports when they feel like all of their college sports will disappear if they don't act. It's not that hard. 

You are proposing that a majority of the Lege is going to take a huge action when the Lege is not even in session. So yeah I think I do need to see where that kind of political ground swell is going to erupt. The total number of TCU, Tech, and Baylor grads and their supporters are not going to provide that. They haven't in the past and they won't now. Especially as that kind of petty small state nonsense is just not what it once was in Texas. 

Is there any chance one or more of the lower tier SEC teams- Missou, Vandy, Kentucky, maybe SC, decide to seize the opportunity to bolt, knowing they will never sniff a conf title game appearance ever?  I know, follow the money and the answer is no, but seems like it could make sense.

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

You are proposing that a majority of the Lege is going to take a huge action when the Lege is not even in session. So yeah I think I do need to see where that kind of political ground swell is going to erupt. The total number of TCU, Tech, and Baylor grads and their supporters are not going to provide that. They haven't in the past and they won't now. Especially as that kind of petty small state nonsense is just not what it once was in Texas. 

I'm not saying these guys can get their shit together. I don't think they can. But that wasn't your premise. Your premise was "Are they enough and do they care." My answer is that yes, every single fucking one of them even the baylor rep who doesn't give a fuck or even resents sports and football is going to join her cohort alums and do whatever they can to fuck this up. Thinking otherwise is fucking stupid. Ditto every aTm alum, TCU alum, Tech alum, etc. Circumstances might be in our favor, but pretending they don't actually are is foolish. Let me re-iterate, you forgot about every single aTm alum, they're the biggest and loudest set of cohorts. Combine that? Yeah, it's worth fucking watching.