January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

Well, when fully 40% of Americans are racist, religious zealots who have been emboldened by those who aren't afraid to speak up, this is what we get.

Our "progress" over the past 60 years was ephemeral.

Edited by jimmyjazz
speling
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

My wife teaches in the district that is ground 0 for where the controversy was and they were clueless about CRT.  In her case, it's middle school.  I had never heard of it prior and believe it to be a college offering. I laughed out loud when driving in Kitty Hawk North Carolina and seeing a large business sign labeled CRT.  Talk about an unfortunate turn of events.

Not the first company whose name had an unfortunate collision with world events.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Anti-white Bolsheviks? 

Well, the Bolsheviks made up the Red army that were in opposition to the White army, so Anti-white Bolsheviks.

Or he probably just made shit up.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes, I am asking how he's not doing this.  Maybe he is.  I guess it probably wouldn't be public knowledge.  I guess I'm incredulous that these SS agents haven't been tarred and feathered yet.

No, I’m agreeing with you. Completely.

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It’s just not believable that all relevant texts from January 5,6 were inadvertently deleted. This was a deliberate action that underscores the arrogance of the SS. We need to fry their asses.

It’s much easier to think incompetence than complicity.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

It’s much easier to think incompetence than complicity.

This was not the first equipment migration for these guys. They knew what they were doing. Hell, many of them were out and pound Trumpkins.

They have the outtakes from his 1/7 speech.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/20/politics/trump-january-7-outtakes-message-supporters-house-hearing/index.html

The House committee investigating the insurrection plans to show footage at Thursday’s hearing of then-President Donald Trump having difficulty working through efforts to tape a message to his supporters on January 7, 2021, the day after the Capitol riot, sources familiar with the committee’s plans tell CNN.

The outtakes, first reported by The Washington Post, were part of production of a speech Trump gave the night after the riot. They show Trump having a difficult time working through the effort to tape the message. Trump refused to say the election results had been settled and attempted to call the rioters patriots. He also went to great lengths to not accuse them of any wrongdoing.

• Drool 1

58 minutes ago, miguelito said:

That's a really fantastic piece of evidence.  Such a thing rarely exists to demonstrate the actual state of mind of a person.

This gon be gud.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's a really fantastic piece of evidence.  Such a thing rarely exists to demonstrate the actual state of mind of a person.

This gon be gud.

It's going to be an absolute nothing-burger, just like everything else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Really good thread. This has been gnawing at me, and I hope the J6 attempts to connect these dots. Between Grassley’s slip about not expecting Pence to be there for the certification of the votes, Pence’s refusal to get in the car, Trump’s failure to act for 3 hours, and now this loss of texts, I think the plot is fairly understood at this point. Trump was aware that Pence was not going along with the plan, so the real plan was for the riot to force Pence to evacuate the Capitol so Grassley could certify the false electors. That’s why Trump held out as long as he did.  I’m sure his lizard brain enjoyed the show, but he was really holding out for Pence to leave. My guess is a small part of the SS was in on it, and smart enough not to text in the clear about it, but the missing texts would probably expose a lot of confusion about broken protocol or finger pointing as the smart ones started putting shit together. 

The SS is as the thread points out, extremely aware of the protocols around cyber data even before they started getting records requests. There would be no confusion about those requests and what they required, so this data loss after the fact is is a flagrant middle finger to congress and the law. If heads don’t roll from this, we really are beyond repair. 

Trump was asking or ordering many people to help him keep the WH: DOJ, military, state officials, etc. Is there any doubt that he wouldn't have spoken to individual USSS agents if not people at the top of USSS? And if you are that agent/lead who wants to believe what Trump is saying, then you could easily talk yourself in that you have a constitutional duty to help him. This could very well be that Pence needs to be removed.  Potentially with extreme prejudice.

And once they have cooler heads, the USSS could realize how their comms completely put them in the middle of conspiracy. I don't see how the USSS shouldn't be hauled into the committee or DOJ interviews at this point. Find out what was said and by whom. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, when fully 40% of Americans are racist, religious zealots who have been emboldened by those who aren't afraid to speak up, this is what we get.

Our "progress" over the past 60 years was ephemeral.

And it was never as complete as we imagined. We've over-congratulated ourselves (me included) on advances in racism and sexism and tolerance, but there was the progress you name. I had no idea that such a large segment of the population was not only not aboard the slow progress train but were bitterly resentful of it.

Now they're empowered and unashamed. They scorn notions like social justice, wokeness, or simple empathy as the enemy of a great America. They increasingly define what this country is.

I think of Adam Schiff's speech to conclude the first impeachment trial about being truly lost. We are as a nation.

• Hook 'Em 2

We need people who don’t give a shit about reelection or fundraising to do some shit that needs to be done. The UK just showed us how to get real change done. Time for mother fuckers to get busy after todays conclusion. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Cuffari is a Trumpist POS. In earlier comments I said that I thought this whole thing had a stink to it on both sides: the IG and the SS. This story starts to make sense of the issue.

I'm guessing Cuffari is trying to muddy the waters as to his covering up of the text cleansing. I suspect he was covering up for the White House person who involved the SS in the insurrection plans and the SS agents who happily complied. I suspect he is now trying to make the whole issue look like an SS problem and leave the agents holding the bag.

This is all so very rotten. We need to not only give the entire White House SS an enema, but we need new regulations. There should be regular replacement of agents and officers to prevent entrenchment of power and influence of that organization. 

Hutchinson gave us a peek at this snake pit. How much faith do we have in the flagging will of the American people to do anything about it? (That's rhetorical.)

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump was asking or ordering many people to help him keep the WH: DOJ, military, state officials, etc. Is there any doubt that he wouldn't have spoken to individual USSS agents if not people at the top of USSS? And if you are that agent/lead who wants to believe what Trump is saying, then you could easily talk yourself in that you have a constitutional duty to help him. This could very well be that Pence needs to be removed.  Potentially with extreme prejudice.

And once they have cooler heads, the USSS could realize how their comms completely put them in the middle of conspiracy. I don't see how the USSS shouldn't be hauled into the committee or DOJ interviews at this point. Find out what was said and by whom. 

And I still hold fading hope that the committee will investigate the chain of command in the Army on the day of the insurrection. Trump's toadies and Mike Flynn's brother should take their place on the same gibbet as the rest of these traitors.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

"I like to watch" - Chauncey Gardner

NPR has a really excellent companion analysis to this tweet and preview for tonight's prime time teevee show finale. Here's a snippet.

"The president didn't do very much but gleefully watch television during this time frame," Kinzinger told CBS's Margaret Brennan on Face The Nation on Sunday. On Thursday morning, Kingzinger provided a tease of tonight's hearings. In a tweet, he provided video clips from witnesses - including a vice presidential national security adviser, Trump's former executive assistant, and the White House counsel - testifying that Trump had spent the afternoon in the White House dining room, parked in front of the TV.

Of course.

A media critic once characterized Trump as a self-invention, but a true child of television: The real estate developer, celebrity tabloid fodder, best-selling author, relentless name-merchandiser, reality-show star and birther-conspiracy enthusiast kindled his presidential ambitions in television news green rooms. He gave them life under the klieg lights in air-conditioned studios with care and tending from ratings-chasing executives and seemingly credulous TV talk show hosts.

Based on a mastery of the rhythms of cable and morning TV talk shows, Trump projected a conviction that he could credibly opine on national and world events and ultimately control them. His fascination with the medium yielded to outrage that the crowds at his inauguration in January 2017 did not appear, on television, to match those of President Barack Obama — leading to false claims on his presidency's first weekend that were easily disproved and ushered in what proved to be an administration of antagonism.

Now, live, and on national television, as Trump stews out of office and plots a possible return, it is the committee that is commanding attention. It was no accident that it held its first big-ticket hearing earlier this summer in television prime time. Thursday night's hearing will be prime time programming as well, across the major broadcast and cable news networks — excepting, probably, for Fox News. And a majority of Americans are paying attention, according to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll.

Trump bellowed that he wanted the detection devices gone and the MAGA faithful brought forward. "I don't effing care that they have weapons," former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson testified that Trump said. "They're not here to hurt me. Take the effing mags away."

So Trump cast aside security concerns for himself, his vice president, the speaker of the U.S. House and law enforcement officers, we learned at these televised sessions. And why? Because Trump wanted the crowds he was exhorting to appear overwhelming to the viewer.

An aide testifies Trump was "very concerned about the shot" of crowds — for the TV cameras
"When we were in the offstage announce area tent behind the stage, he was very concerned about the shot, meaning the photograph that we would get, because the rally space wasn't full," testified Hutchinson, the right-hand woman to Trump's final White House chief of staff on Jan. 6. (The former president tweeted a denial and cast her as a failed job-seeker out of office.)

Trump's allies at Fox News and elsewhere have largely downplayed and ignored the hearings. You're not hearing them called fake news anymore, however, so much as old news — a tacit concession that they are driven by facts.

That is because the hearings have lived up to their billing as "made for TV." Not because they have proved melodramatic, though there's plenty of drama. But because they are proving impossible to ignore.

I've been looking forward to tonight's hearings because it focuses on Trump refusing to protect the US Capitol, for hours. It's not talked about enough. The President of the United States, at best, sat and watched and refused to assist our capitol under siege. And I don't think it was even a part of his impeachment. How was that not a separate article?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It's infuriating to me, seeing example after example of all this shit the past 18 months...fuck it, the last 6 years...where nothing fucking happens until something is exposed on fucking television. You couldn't tell something was fucking rotten when you didn't get the texts you requested 18 months ago? NOW it's a criminal charge? Until some measure of public outcry happens, no one does fucking shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

It's infuriating to me, seeing example after example of all this shit the past 18 months...fuck it, the last 6 years...where nothing fucking happens until something is exposed on fucking television. You couldn't tell something was fucking rotten when you didn't get the texts you requested 18 months ago? NOW it's a criminal charge? Until some measure of public outcry happens, no one does fucking shit. 
And now you understand why a free and independent press is so important... and why the GOP have undermined it for so long.

I know you already understood this, just saying "you" to help repeat the point.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I saw a clip from some talk show or something, maybe Last Week Tonight, where the title to the investigation story was The Investigation of What We All Saw With Our Own Eyes.

Such a tame electorate.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tchookem said:

And now you understand why a free and independent press is so important... and why the GOP have undermined it for so long.

I know you already understood this, just saying "you" to help repeat the point.

Yeah. I know. And I'm pretty much done with this fucking place. I realize that having America die likely has giant repercussions for the rest of the world, so in many aspects there is nowhere to hide. That being said, maybe being elsewhere where I'm the interloper will be less painful than waking up every day and seeing what things used to be interposed with the way things are...Fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, immamac said:

We need people who don’t give a shit about reelection or fundraising to do some shit that needs to be done. The UK just showed us how to get real change done. Time for mother fuckers to get busy after todays conclusion. 

Forest Whitaker Laughing GIF

On 7/20/2022 at 7:40 AM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Air Force Academy was one of my safety schools.

The Original Greaser Bob

On 7/20/2022 at 7:44 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

22 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Profile picture checks out.

Confused GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 1