Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Right, because the Houston/Dallas rivalry is all in Houston's head and Dallas never, ever mentions it.  What a crock of shit.

Just accept that every Texan is a narcissist blowhard that can only justify where they live by saying everyone else is shitty with 0 evidence

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

When Alabama gets cities, it'll probably happen there, too.

When I lived in Birmingham during my elementary school years it was about different areas in the city. Irondale? Fuck you. Leeds? Losers. East Lake? Least Lake. Crestview? *eyeroll* Huffman? Bless your heart. Hoover?

Capture+_2022-05-28-17-01-48-1.png

These people argued for two full fucking years how wearing masks was stunting kids' development, social skills, and sense of joy and innocence.

And are now seamlessly transitioning into turning schools into literal prisons.

Fuck everything.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, aggie08 said:

These people argued for two full fucking years how wearing masks was stunting kids' development, social skills, and sense of joy and innocence.

Fuck everything.

Yep.  This is a text I've sent to everyone I know who's upset about this:

We're not getting gun law reform.  What we'll get is schools encircled by 10-foot concrete walls with only one way in, through a security gate and an armed guard.  And the right wingers who pretend to care about the psychological effects of their kids wearing masks at school won't say one word about the psychological effects of their kids attending school in a literal prison.  Anything, anything, to keep their big dick toys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Fuck everything.

I’m sorry, sir. You seem to be pointing out irony. Irony is dead. Someone was foolish enough to keep it in a non-hardened elementary school classroom and, well, exactly what you’d expect to happen happened.
It’s okay, though - lots of people offered it their thoughts and prayers, so we’re all good.

I love both cities but that's more a case of an SA inferiority complex than an Austin superiority complex in much the same way Houston is to Dallas. One city bristles at the mention of another, the other one doesn't really realize they're engaged in a rivalry. Occasionally semi-entertaining.

Austin absolutely has a superiority complex, but it’s not at all limited to San Antonio.

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Austin absolutely has a superiority complex, but it’s not at all limited to San Antonio.

Lil bit of A, lil bit of B. I'm just speaking as a truck driver who's listened to decades of various local sports talk and can remember as far back as 05 at least one SA sports talk host rooting for aggy to knock Texas out of a match up with USC. 

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I am asking you to read what I’m writing here sincerely, and seriously: you are wrong.
Let’s think of some things that have been “claimed” by conservatism: owning a gun, having border enforcement, and oil and gas extraction.
For DECADES - not just today, and not to “ingratiate themselves with their radicalized boot locker friends” - S Texas democrats have owned and used firearms, worked with and in Border Patrol, and been heavily entwined with the oil patch. Add ranching to that list. And driving pickups. And other stereotypes that you might think of…..and you just described my family, since post-WWII and actually a good bit before.
There are a whole lot of common sense, moderately “conservative” values that have long had a home with dem voters. As we’ve become polarized, it’s been hard to place those values - even the good, healthy ones, that most all Dems agree with (eg, 95% of Dems actually do think we need a border and a border patrol) - with Dems. Why? Because they’ve been claimed and perverted by the GQP. For example, Border Patrol has become a happily fascist and cruel organization, disseminating insane thoughts and in some cases operating as a private fascist force for the POTUS.
Writing off huge swaths of Texas, particularly S Texas, as you’re doing right now, is one of the stupidest things Texas Dems have done and continue to do. We should stop that.

The dems aren't really against "owning a gun" they just believe in common sense regulations, which the vast majority of people support, including in South Texas.

The dems aren't really against "having border enforcement" they just believe it's a fool's errand to spend billions to construct and billions more in perpetuity to maintain a wall. They also don't believe immigration law should be used as a tool for racism (the first major immigration law was literally called "The Chinese Exclusion Act" so there's a long history of that). Like you say, 95% of democrats agree that there should be a border and that it should be patrolled.

When it comes to "oil and gas extraction" I don't believe any part of the country, whether it's fracking country in Pennsylvania or the Permian Basin, actually has any attachment to the oil itself. It's all about the jobs, and anyone who isn't terminally kool-aided would be thrilled to get the same pay to do safer, cleaner work.

The "stereotypes" about ranching and driving pickups, that's not really a political issue unless you're making some kind of identity politics argument. None of these things have a natural connection to bootlicking. The connection is artificial and the byproduct of a concerted effort from well-funded bad actors like Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.

As you acknowledge, "Border Patrol has become a happily fascist and cruel organization," and all I'm doing is explaining how that happened over the past few decades. That's not "writing them off" it's just telling it like it is: an important battle in the "culture war" was fought in South Texas, and it was won by fascists.

Lil bit of A, lil bit of B. I'm just speaking as a truck driver who's listened to decades of various local sports talk and can remember as far back as 05 at least one SA sports talk host rooting for aggy to knock Texas out of a match up with USC. 

I feel like it’s probably more likely the host was just aggy or a fan of some other school that would want you see Texas lose as opposed to harboring some hatred for the city Austin specifically?

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think I have turned a corner. Many of y’all probably did a long time ago. But after this shit, between the response by right wing politicians, right wing citizens (including the posters here) and the silence of the middle, I am starting to consider them the enemy. Straight up. Not people to compromise or negotiate with. They don’t want it. Fuck them. They are cowards of the highest order. Most can’t even rub two brain cells together. Gun worshiping, religious nut jobs, hateful nationalists. Fuck them all.

It’s like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton were right all along. Except Hillary was wrong about one thing...there’s a lot more than a basket of deplorables.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I feel like it’s probably more likely the host was just aggy or a fan of some other school that would want you see Texas lose as opposed to harboring some hatred for the city Austin specifically?

The guy was from (I believe) Jersey, worming his way into the ear of those susceptible to feeling inferior, manufacturing artificial resentment and conflict, much as the GOP does with any issue, for attention and the potential of monetization.

The guy was from (I believe) Jersey, worming his way into the ear of those susceptible to feeling inferior, manufacturing artificial resentment and conflict, much as the GOP does with any issue, for attention and the potential of monetization.

It was Billy Liucci?
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m going to have to sort of disagree with you on this one, Peter. 

Have Democrats done a shitty job in Texas? Sure. You can pretty much claim that in most states. They don’t play for keeps. Have Democrats taken Hispanic votes for granted? Probably. But you kind of assume that considering the other party wants to ban Mexicans from the country. Now, just because South Texan Hispanics also want Trumps border wall, doesn’t make them right 

You have been arguing rightly on every thread that anyone who still votes Republican these days, for the most, is a piece of shit. Now, you want to argue it’s the local politicians fault for not embracing Hispanic values of gun ownership, law and order, and conservatism. You can’t have it both ways. Just because the past Hispanic Democrat voter leans more MAGA these days, doesn’t mean their exempt from shame and derision. Beto isn’t a NY politician bringing his out of touch NY politics to South Texas. No one is writing off huge swaths of South Texas. They are running on the same principles of gun control, womens rights. 

What's ironic about this is the chair of the TDP was a county judge from Cameron County before he took the chair a decade ago.  You would think he would have a good read on the south Texas vote and how to not only hold it, but draw even more out.  

9 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

They've told so many lies they're beginning to get tangled up in them.  No matter anymore.  All politicians lie, but the Republicans will keep lowering my taxes.

7 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

What's ironic about this is the chair of the TDP was a county judge from Cameron County before he took the chair a decade ago.  You would think he would have a good read on the south Texas vote and how to not only hold it, but draw even more out.  

Probably just a bunch of corruption. They got insanely low turnout.

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My dad served 27 years in the Marine Corps as an infantry officer, and has never owned a firearm in his life.

My dad did close to the same # of years in the army as a tanker. Only guns he owned were a pistol, shotgun, and bolt action rifle.  One was for walking around the hunting property in case he came across a pig, one was for shooting doves and ducks, one was for shooting deer. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

My dad did close to the same # of years in the army as a tanker. Only guns he owned were a pistol, shotgun, and bolt action rifle.  One was for walking around the hunting property in case he came across a pig, one was for shooting doves and ducks, one was for shooting deer. 

He must not have been a real man if he didn't have an AR.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread