2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

4 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I'm not saying he's going to do anything. UT boards think he sucks as a prospect. They also thin he's slow. Neither is true, regardless of what he does or doesn't do on the field. There's some really bad evaluations these days. Fans bite way too hard for what the online journalists have to say and don't do their own homework. Many of our commits at this position over the years are much worse than him, yet, we blame the coaches for development when they don't hit. It's not development, it's recruiting and evaluation.

You have a weird habit of going on long rants about how entire message boards think things after one guy says something. It's strange but if it makes you happy I would suggest continuing to do it. In this case you're responding to someone who never said the thing you're arguing against. I suppose I said Cain probably isn't a superstar in his own right. I will take the heat on that if Casey Cain turns into a superstar in his own right I guess. But nobody in this discussion ever said Cain sucks as a prospect and is slow.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I'm not saying he's going to do anything. UT boards think he sucks as a prospect. They also thin he's slow. Neither is true, regardless of what he does or doesn't do on the field. There's some really bad evaluations these days. Fans bite way too hard for what the online journalists have to say and don't do their own homework. Many of our commits at this position over the years are much worse than him, yet, we blame the coaches for development when they don't hit. It's not development, it's recruiting and evaluation.

CTJ was shoveling out Casey Cain slander like it was his job in the '21 recruiting cycle.   Its not revenge Casey Cain is after - its a reckoning.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Huckleberry said:

You have a weird habit of going on long rants about how entire message boards think things after one guy says something. It's strange but if it makes you happy I would suggest continuing to do it. In this case you're responding to someone who never said the thing you're arguing against. I suppose I said Cain probably isn't a superstar in his own right. I will take the heat on that if Casey Cain turns into a superstar in his own right I guess.

Only the first part of the post was directed at you. I have nothing against your post at all, and agree with some of it, but Cain's success or failure won't have anything to do with athleticism. He has enough athleticism and speed at this level. I just didn't see the need to make two posts instead of one. I probably shouldn't have quoted you. It certainly wasn't to disagree with you all that much.

It just gets old, how bad the evaluations are in this profession and all the fans fall for it over and over again. 

1 minute ago, Don Hornleone said:

David Gbenda had a good day. “Running to the ball.

Oh… that’s nice. Doing the most minimalistic thing required of you. Maybe next week he can.. I don’t know… shed a block? Successfully tackle somebody?

Well, considering what he showed last year, running to the ball is progress.

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

CTJ was shoveling out Casey Cain slander like it was his job in the '21 recruiting cycle.   Its not revenge Casey Cain is after - its a reckoning.

Ha, I assume you are joking because I don’t remember ever having a strong opinion about the guy. Mostly just “meh”, but if I really was running him down then watching him go nuts this year would be fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm sure he was just frustrated we weren't landing any top talent at the position and he's right on that. Many of our recruits at that position never had a chance. Cain at least had some potential. You would still like to land some top talent along with someone like Cain. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT practice notes (some good news injury wise)

Hide contents

— Bad throws: A pick-six to Kitan Crawford. Don’t know if it was Quinn, but it was a pick-six. There were two pick-sixes on the day. We’re not assigning blame to a QB yet.

I still don't trust these inside sources to adequately determine if the throw was after what should've been a sack. Not counting sacks correctly has to be why people thought Card was the leader.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

If those ints are on down field bombs then they are like punts….

Too much is made of ints. A 3 & out is a turnover too. Any drive that doesn’t score is a turnover.

From what I've heard about our punting prospects this season, deep 3rd down ints will typically be preferable to punts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Pittman could do that because Vince was a massive run threat and had one of the best ball fakes of all time. Pittman is also very much like Whittington, with good agility and just an all around competitor.

Cain ran a 4.71 electronic-timed 40 as a sophomore at 6-2, with arms that hang down to his knees. Most skill position players get faster, if they show speed that young. He showed decent agility on tape and has a massive catch radius. His long arms help keep defenders from jamming. I remember saying he's not great but he's one of the better recruits we've landed at that position in a while. His 4.71 as a sophomore is faster than most of our receivers (before Sark) while they were in college. And they didn't have Cain's length or ball skills. Too many of our recruits over the past 10-15 years, even the 4-stars, had no chance at this level. Online websites have fans fooled.

Cain was chastised on the internet because of his less than desirable ranking and the fact a few UT "journalists" thought it was a bad take. All the while, other receivers with way less talent were applauded because of their ranking and the fact a few UT "journalists" thought they were good pickups.

Some of you should go back and watch his film and take a look at his measurements and track times at an early age. 

Online recruiting evaluations have jumped the shark. Does anyone actually go back and look at past results? Does anyone actually learn how to evaluate talent? Or just make excuses when they're very wrong on a recruit? There's no accountability in this profession.

He also had the best feet to set up the DB that I've seen from a high schooler. Dude has great WR skills.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Bruh those are all phenomenal athletes

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Not they’re not!

To the average person hell yea they are, but to say they’re phenomenal athletes is pushing it!!! All you have to go do is read up on them, hell it’s been broadcast how unathletic Copper Kupp and Michael Thomas are. But what makes them great is their ball skills and route running, with a knack to find open spaces for their QB

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

I've always thought of him as a possession guy with sticky hands. Obviously this one made the rounds in the spring:

And then a few nice grabs here where he just looks like a dude who naturally snags it and doesn't fight the ball at all

I never heard of Casey Cain having bad hands. . He may have dropped some here and there but even last year they really raved about him and talked about his potential 

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

I never heard of Casey Cain having bad hands. . He may have dropped some here and there but even last year they really raved about him and talked about his potential 

He looked too Washingtonian. Made those phenomenal catches, dropped the routine ones too often. The bottom line in the definition of Receiver is: Catch. The. Fucking. Ball.

Nothing else matters if you don't catch the fucking ball.

Oh boy, popular CFB recruiting YouTube channel, Sharpe Sports, just dropped this video:

Quinn Ewers has officially been named the Texas Longhorns starting QB, and this is not going to end well for Texas Football!

He bases his opinion in this video heavily off rewatching the UT spring game.

• Haha 2

Cain may turn out to be good. He may turn out to be average. Only time will give us that answer. The truth is I would love to trot out Bama 2020’s skill guys, but that rarely happens. Texas has Bijan, Worthy, Jwhitt (please stay healthy),  and Sanders at TE. All of them are very athletic and a nightmare in a 1 on 1 situation (taking some liberty with Sanders). Cain doesn’t have to be a world beater. He isn’t going to garner much attention. Texas just needs him to be the guy that can find some open spaces and catch the ball. Sark will also find a package for Thompson to get his speed involved a few times a game (hopefully he develops enough to expand on that over the course of the year)

3 minutes ago, Bamboozled73 said:
11 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Oh boy, popular CFB recruiting YouTube channel, Sharpe Sports, just dropped this video:

We found ketch’s and Nawlin’s source

Expand  

Who the fuck is this guy. Never heard of him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Ha, I assume you are joking because I don’t remember ever having a strong opinion about the guy. Mostly just “meh”, but if I really was running him down then watching him go nuts this year would be fun. 

I mean, watching anything resembling competent football would be fun. I'd love to see that, regardless of who had what hot take.

1 hour ago, lazygringo said:

I still don't trust these inside sources to adequately determine if the throw was after what should've been a sack. Not counting sacks correctly has to be why people thought Card was the leader.

That's what you don't trust?

It's not that they've all been proven full of shit and a big part of the proof happened just yesterday? 

Pt Barnum might have spoken the truest words of all time. The US is full of nothing but marks

22 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

The only thing this guy says that is based in fact, is that there is a lot of pressure on the shoulders of the starting QB for Texas.  Oh, and also, Quinn is not Patrick Mahomes.  The rest is a lot of assumption and misinterpreting statements.   And fuck off with that USC shit on the wall.  To semi-quote Will Smith..."keep my team's name out yo mouth".

23 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The funniest part about all of this is I bet the QB battle wasn't even close contrary to reports. 

This is why I take every report from the 9.95er with a grain of salt. Everyone was melting over "we're screwed because Ewers isn't better than Card" when it was likely just fabricated bullshit because they didn't know who would be the starter. 

I could see the competition being a little close just because of Card's experience in Sarkisians offense, and Ewers just beginning to learn it, but even if it was close, that is an indictment on Card's ability to improve, and you have to go with Ewers as the starter because he has a higher ceiling...

On 8/19/2022 at 9:06 AM, Tex-19 said:

This is kinda my fear in a way. If Ewers doesn't win the job early in the year, what does Arch think? One redshirt year is fine but I doubt he wants 2.

Although 3 years of Ewers would obviously be nice so maybe I shouldn't worry about that..

If Ewers doesn't win this why would Arch worry? Does he think he can't beat either of these dudes? If so, he's right.

Also, if he's assuming it's himself... Ever... Then he's not the guy.

Every player has to believe he is capable of starting and winning... And every player better go to work, because they know there's another player at their position who does believe.

If this is not the case, recruiting has failed.

Get in the morherfucker.

• Hook 'Em 3