Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

50 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I know nothing about football but is this on Ewers or sark or both? Why are they giving him options for deep balls, is he not progressing through his reads?

That interception I was thinking there’s 2 defenders guarding worthy why did he choose him. Surely someone has to be open. I’m surprised it was intercepted he usually overthrows them.

I'm going to suppose that on any given play there is a route tree with multiple options at multiple depths.  In many cases, the deep receiver, who tends to be Worthy because of his speed, is intended more to be a decoy to spread the d or draw a double team, with intermediate routes being the prime targets.  Even if you don't really intend to go for the deep ball, that deep receiver serves a function in spreading and opening the d on the current and subsequent plays

As a general proposition, a coach is probably not going to forbid the QB from taking the deep route, even if that's not really the goal of the play call.  "You take it if it's there."  But, the coach can try to change the order of the reads, in terms of look intermediate or short first, long last.

In that sense, Ewers is abusing the coach's trust by always, usually, too frequently taking the deep option to Worthy.

In the end, it comes down to execution, but I think there are things the coaches can try to do to keep the QB from attempting low percentage throws.

Sark seems to be rather stubborn in that he seems to me to disbelieve what his eyes may be telling him, e.g. Ewers is off and he's not going to make that throw, or the right throw, this time or many other times.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm fully in the "Quinn is gonna be fine" camp.

Skipping his senior football season was idiotic in terms of becoming a good player. He's playing as essentially a true freshman with even more limited experience than a normal true freshman. He's playing a really tough schedule. He's got a young line in front of him. He's 19.

Playing like dogshit right now, sure, but this is what we bargained for when we started all these freshmen. It's not an excuse, it's just reality. Sometimes you get lucky and the true freshman QB looks like a superstar from the beginning and never falters, but that's rare.

6-4 with two tough games left. Let's see.

his problems have nothing to do with his schedule or his o line. in fact his o line has given him more than enough time to make plays, and you can look no further than his true freshman left tackle for a young kid who still kicks ass despite being young. Quinn's problems are all his own. his footwork and mechanics need a complete overhaul, he relies on his arm talent to make every play, he's incapable of making reads at the line, he's unable to work through his progressions, and as a leader, watching him cave and crumble and look all sad and sorry for himself was shocking. we weren't even getting our asses kicked, we were still totally in the game and the dude looked like he wanted to cry and go hug his mom.

if quinn ewers wasn't a 5* superstar HS QB then nobody in here would be making the case that he's just obviously going to get better and eventually be great. the dude looks terrible out there, in every way.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I remember after he committed, on the recruiting board, I called him Gilbert 2.0.

who is laughing now?

Quinn is definitely in the honeymoon phase we gave GDGG in 2010. Young kid with a lot of hype around him. Yes he's sucking ass against teams but he's shown flashes of brilliance. Easy to forgive squints for looking like he just sucked on a lemon when he's barely played college football. But I guarantee you, if he plays against Wyoming the same way squints played against BYU the boo birds will come alive. Quinn needs to understand that we don't give a shit how painful the labor might be. Just show us the baby.

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i hate these lazy ass takes with zero substance to support their argument which states that quinn is obviously going to just turn it on in the future. based on what? his star ranking? because the guy is terrible. i have literally never seen a QB with worse footwork at Texas. not even remotely close. what at all leads you to believe that quinn ewers is going ever be good enough tj start at Texas? 

A ghost told me so.

2 hours ago, hookem48 said:

wide open receivers all over the field?

At least last night BJ was wide open a couple of times once for a TD and did not get a look. Witt and Sanders a few others and did not get a look. Now I am of the opinion that Sark thinks he calls perfect plays for each situation since he has actually said it in presser and I believe he demands his players execute his play because why else has Quinn gone from being pretty good at looking for his outlet at locking in just like Card. We use to complain about Card failing to look for his outlet now Quinn too.

At least last night BJ was wide open a couple of times once for a TD and did not get a look. Witt and Sanders a few others and did not get a look. Now I am of the opinion that Sark thinks he calls perfect plays for each situation since he has actually said it in presser and I believe he demands his players execute his play because why else has Quinn gone from being pretty good at looking for his outlet at locking in just like Card. We use to complain about Card failing to look for his outlet now Quinn too.

When the hell do you think he’s gone to his outlet?

It’s rare that he’s done that.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I'd put much of that on Saban and Bama.  Sark has definitely worked with some great QBs - maybe they were already great by the time they got to him.  The QB play under him here has been total shit and looks like it's getting worse.  

I know we are all upset, but you’d have to ignore reality when comparing Bama’s offense under Sark versus others (e.g. right now with BoB). 

23 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I know we are all upset, but you’d have to ignore reality when comparing Bama’s offense under Sark versus others (e.g. right now with BoB). 

Yes, the interaction of Sark with Bama+Saban was magical.  I agree.

But I'm really starting to doubt that Sark on his own is some elite QB whisperer.  

ULM, Bama and once or twice vs OU and then it stopped.

Fair enough I guess.

I know he did not check down on a clear opportunity versus OU. Play right before the sideline throw to Bijan. I don’t recall any at Bama, and you can’t tell from the box scores. He had none to RBs though. I do recall when he dropped it off to Roschon on drive 1 versus OU when Sanders AND Worthy were both open for 1st downs. That was not a positive.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

if quinn ewers wasn't a 5* superstar HS QB then nobody in here would be making the case that he's just obviously going to get better and eventually be great.

I don't know if he'll eventually be great, but yes... obviously.

- Not checking down
- Relying on arm over fundamentals
- Bad reads at the line
- Getting overwhelmed in big situations
- Not naturally leading a group of guys who are older/more experienced

Those ALL sound like pitfalls of a true freshman QB. And one who skipped an entire season of football at that.

Maybe he never pulls out of it. But the specific fact that he was a 1.000 rated guy makes me think he's more likely to pull up than a walk-on or a 3-star.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'd put much of that on Saban and Bama.  Sark has definitely worked with some great QBs - maybe they were already great by the time they got to him.  The QB play under him here has been total shit and looks like it's getting worse.  

I thought the Manning’s wanted Arch at Texas because of Milwee.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i hate these lazy ass takes with zero substance to support their argument which states that quinn is obviously going to just turn it on in the future. based on what? his star ranking? because the guy is terrible. i have literally never seen a QB with worse footwork at Texas. not even remotely close. what at all leads you to believe that quinn ewers is going ever be good enough tj start at Texas? 

Oh lord now Derka is in here. Lol. Nothing lazy about thinking a 19 year old kid will get better. Reps make you better. Experience makes you better. That is as true in sports as it is in life. In your other post you say the O-line isn't his problem. Anytime you are constantly putting a kid in 3rd and forever because you are getting penalties or can't run the football you are part of the problem. You are also getting the kid hit a lot over the last few games and as you can see its speeding him up quite a bit. 

Freshmen QBs typically struggle with taking short yardage throws, being patient, and putting together 14 play drives. Quinn is no different. That said here are the positives I see. He throws the ball on time, sometimes it surprises receivers coming out of the break. He throws to the open side of guys or errors long on deep balls. He misses reads as some guys do, but he sees the open guy more often than our backup ever showed he could.  You've known a lot of athletes in your time so this should make sense to you. A lot of guys like QE you can't tell them shit. They have to fail before they realize they have a lot of work to do to be successful. Before then they have been able to overwhelm people with their athletic ability alone. Once they hit THE WALL that's usually when you see an improvement because it's the first time they've actually had to put some real cerebral work into their game. Right now QE is realizing that on national TV. Meanwhile his counterpart Worthy still is on the bullshit. He probably won't figure it out until he checks with some pros to see where he is projected in the draft. Hopefully he hasn't hired an agent by then so he can come back for another year and raise his stock. QE needs to get back to the drawing board with his footwork, step into his throws so they quit sailing on him.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I get why many are upset but it's pretty clear, whether you agree or not, Quinn is our qb and the only thing that changes that is an injury. The osu and last night's game made that clear. As others have said, he's really a true freshman and we're going to have to live with his growing pains. He's got talent and is only going to get better. I'm just as impatient as anyone, but this has always been a 3 year development process, which is what everyone expected from the start. We've seen the potential, which makes the mistakes that much more frustrating. I still say we are much better than we were last year, and heading in the right direction. 

• Rage+1 1

I get why many are upset but it's pretty clear, whether you agree or not, Quinn is our qb and the only thing that changes that is an injury. The osu and last night's game made that clear. As others have said, he's really a true freshman and we're going to have to live with his growing pains. He's got talent and is only going to get better. I'm just as impatient as anyone, but this has always been a 3 year development process, which is what everyone expected from the start. We've seen the potential, which makes the mistakes that much more frustrating. I still say we are much better than we were last year, and heading in the right direction. 
3 year project? Then he's not the guy. Legit 5 star guys don't need 3 years to develop. This isn't the old days.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:
22 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

3 year project? Then he's not the guy. Legit 5 star guys don't need 3 years to develop. This isn't the old days.

I meant the rebuild with Sark was a 3 year project. I still expect Quinn to go in the draft after next year. 

I'm sure it's been said, but just seems to me that Quinn is having confidence issues.   Might be that he's been so good on his raw talent for so long that, he just got to believing in himself a bit too much.   The OSU game he could shrug off, but the problem still persists and just now he's beginning to question himself.  

Maybe all this while Sark and others have been working to help him understand where he could improve, but he really wasn't listening.  He kept trying to put his own game into Sarks.

Could be the playcalling is leading to some of the issues, and with the still learning OL, even that's difficult.  

I think Sark sees the talent there, and once Ewers really buys in, then he'll start improving quickly.  Just sometimes it takes some really bad falls to see the light.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Quinn is playing like a true freshman. Does that mean he'll get better next year? Most likely, yes. Does that mean he'll end up being a star? Not necessarily, but it's certainly possible.

It seems to me like he's gotten antsy in the pocket and is rushing things, which also leads to the sloppy footwork. Funny enough, it's almost the opposite of Card - Ewers needs to slow down while Card needed to speed up. Card looked a lot better this year, hopefully QE can make similar improvements.

One thing is for sure. Sark needs to insert himself as fulltime QB coach during bowl practices (glad we have those) and spring ball. He didn't get hired to let AJ Milwee develop the QBs.

He didn’t pass well tonight, but the lack of leadership was The biggest problem. Bad body language, not pulling his team up when they made mistakes, and so on. He looked beaten.
NGL, I have said this for weeks. He should be the offensive leader. DMO should be for the defense. And RoJo and JWhitt should be the team's leaders.
Someone has to step up and until that happens, everyone will be looking towards each other on the sidelines for a spark and reassurance. Ain't happened so far

5 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

I know his velocity isn’t the same. No snap on the throw, and lots of arc that DB’s love. 

Idk, seems like he still puts heat on it when he throws over the middle in tight spaces (mainly to JT). I think he tries to put some touch on those outside routes intentionally

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

For some perspective. 

Reality check, Sam could run and that made up for his less than ideal passing skills. That also allowed his receivers to get open easier. Being dual threat makes up for shitty passing and opens up the game bigtime. Sam also had grit and a never say die attitude.

This right here is why analytics are fucking stupid. Torture the data enough and you can make it lie to you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

This right here is why analytics are fucking stupid. Torture the data enough and you can make it lie to you. 

Who’s torturing data? It’s literally just basic passing stats.

2 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Now compare rushing / total yards and TDs

Why would I compare something that isn’t a part of our offensive system??

3 hours ago, freyguy said:

so we should continue to expect Charlie Strong & Tom Herman level performance.

coolcoolcoolcool.  yay

Wut.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Damn... stats can be revealing as well.

Sam's freshman numbers made me feel a lot better about Ewers freshman struggles...  😋

He doesn't read defenses. He just throws to certain targets that he makes his mind up BEFORE the snap. The game is going too fast for him. He is overwhelmed and looks like over-hyped 

Overwhelmed is probably the single word I’d feel best describes his body language in the second half. It was very clear just looking at Ewers that Texas had no chance.

It’s silly to write him off at this juncture. It’s the position with the steepest learning curve from HS to college and he had rust to shake off to boot. We’ve seen VY, David Ash, and Sam Ehlinger all take huge leaps in their second seasons.

He’s flashed, but been up and down as any reasonable observer would expect. The people that were expecting a freshman to come in and be an All Big 12 QB and average 50 points per game bright this disappointment on themselves because that was never happening. Off games from Ewers were always going to cost this team a game or two. Just have to hope the game slows down for him next season and he’s better. Certainly not unprecedented. Next year in Tuscaloosa is when you’ll know.

This should also be a learning opportunity for anyone who thinks Arch Manning is going to come in and steal the show as a true freshman.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

“Arm talent” lol. What fucking arm talent? He’s the most inaccurate QB I’ve ever watched play. It doesn’t even seem possible to be so woefully inaccurate on every single deep ball. Flag football rec league QB’s have more arm talent.

I don’t even understand what arm talent means anymore. Shouldn’t arm talent be able to throw a deep ball within 5 yards of a receiver? 

26 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

“Arm talent” lol. What fucking arm talent? He’s the most inaccurate QB I’ve ever watched play. It doesn’t even seem possible to be so woefully inaccurate on every single deep ball. Flag football rec league QB’s have more arm talent.

I don’t even understand what arm talent means anymore. Shouldn’t arm talent be able to throw a deep ball within 5 yards of a receiver? 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

if quinn ewers wasn't a 5* superstar HS QB then nobody in here would be making the case that he's just obviously going to get better and eventually be great. the dude looks terrible out there, in every way.

Yeah but he was and a true 1.000 at that for a reason. To quote Jim Harbaugh, if a worm had lasers, birds would be afraid of them.

On a serious note, Quinn has showed flashes of brilliance, seems to have trouble with one particular type of defense (3-3-5 flyover/drop 8s) and has excelled at times and has shown rare decisiveness and the ability to thread the intermediate throw in tight windows few other QBs have shown the willingness or ability to do. I think that given an offseason with Sark (are we seriously trying to pretend the man who has probably the best active resume for QB development or at the very least top 5, has somehow lucked into all of them?) that a lot of these issues can and will be fixed. If the man couldn't handle any defenses, got abused whether in man or zone, whether it was an all-out blitz or drop 8, and didn't show the flashes he did, I could understand giving him the Card treatment. But that simply isn't the case.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet