Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

Acho played in 48 games during his 4-year career at Texas, including 26 starts. As a senior, he was consensus first-team All-Big 12 linebacker (Coaches, AP, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News, Fort Worth Star-Telegram). He won the 2010 Arthur Ashe Award, was named to the 2011 AFCA Good Works Team, and was a three-time first-team Academic All-Big 12 selection. He was also a finalist for the 2011 Lott Trophy for college football's Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year, Lowe's Senior CLASS Award and Wuerffel Trophy. He led his team in tackles in 2011 and, over his 4-year career, recorded 278 tackles (159 solo), 41 TFL, eight sacks, seven forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, two INTs, 13 PBU and 26 pressures.

Okay Emmanuel
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

E. Acho is a total loser douche clown that never achieved shit at Texas. He has no right to talk shit about anyone playing for a Texas team that's actually winning games. 

yep he is a fucking trouble maker at times and makes you question who's team he is actually on.   this type shit should be kept in house if he is all Texas!

10 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Missed most of the game. Yeah, had to take the Wife to a Pumpkin event in Dripping. Lots of dads/husbands stand around looking at their phones. 

Malik did what we wanted. He won. Will watch the replay tonight when the house is quiet before I have to carve a shit ton of pumpkins. 

Fuck it, Texas won, OU lost and aggy is crap. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy6AKLTOw7Q/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Also, just put the game on at all times. 

https://v2.sportsurge.net/

https://texas.leanplayer.com/mobile

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Acho played in 48 games during his 4-year career at Texas, including 26 starts. As a senior, he was consensus first-team All-Big 12 linebacker (Coaches, AP, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News, Fort Worth Star-Telegram). He won the 2010 Arthur Ashe Award, was named to the 2011 AFCA Good Works Team, and was a three-time first-team Academic All-Big 12 selection. He was also a finalist for the 2011 Lott Trophy for college football's Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year, Lowe's Senior CLASS Award and Wuerffel Trophy. He led his team in tackles in 2011 and, over his 4-year career, recorded 278 tackles (159 solo), 41 TFL, eight sacks, seven forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, two INTs, 13 PBU and 26 pressures.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Murphy was fine. He made a few boneheaded decisions because he was a bit too confident in his abilities. The only shocking thing to me was how immobile he is. Hell, he was worn out after a 5 yard jog in an “attempt” to catch the defender that intercepted that pass. I don’t even know if it was a jog. It’s like his body didn’t know how to move at any thing faster than a slow walk and he gave up after a half dozen steps.

Well said. He needs to cut his hair and transform his body to ensure everybody knows he’s serious about the game. Maybe also cut out chick fil a. 

9 hours ago, F250 said:

He wasn't wrong in that post. Murphy just stood there in that moment.

What if Murphy saw the flag that was for the blind side tackle that brought the ball back? Maybe that is why he dogged it? Also, he  is too slow anyway.  My question is why is Acho being so uppity on formerly known as Twitter? That is kind of a dick move. Say the shit to the kid's face, Acho. 

he played much bette rthan i thought he would. we didnt give him a lot of help with play calling, especially in the red zone.  double especially inside the 5. i dont understand our savant offensive coach not being able to score touchdowns in the red zone. 64th in red zone offense is shockingly bad., 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

He was fine. I am fucking ecstatic to not have Hudson Card be our best option when the starter goes down.

Agree with this. Murphy was fine - but he doesn’t give us the best chance to win over a healthy Ewers. On a separate note, I think his throwing from his back foot stems from overconfidence in his arm strength 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

he played much bette rthan i thought he would. we didnt give him a lot of help with play calling, especially in the red zone.  double especially inside the 5. i dont understand our savant offensive coach not being able to score touchdowns in the red zone. 64th in red zone offense is shockingly bad., 

Finally a slant call in the red zone.  It was beautiful.  

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Well said. He needs to cut his hair and transform his body to ensure everybody knows he’s serious about the game. Maybe also cut out chick fil a. 

This. I keep hearing that people heard Ewers say he needed to be more serious, and I understood it that he cut his hair because people kept assuming he was not working hard or taking football serious. Sark even said the perception of Ewers was bad because of the mullet, which is fucking stupid. He got tired of hearing that narrative, much like the thought that Trevor Lawrence wasn’t passionate enough so people doubted how much he loves football. People can be and are stupid. 

https://www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2023/8/3/23818964/longhorns-daily-news-texas-quinn-ewers-mullet-steve-sarkisian

30 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

This. I keep hearing that people heard Ewers say he needed to be more serious, and I understood it that he cut his hair because people kept assuming he was not working hard or taking football serious. Sark even said the perception of Ewers was bad because of the mullet, which is fucking stupid. He got tired of hearing that narrative, much like the thought that Trevor Lawrence wasn’t passionate enough so people doubted how much he loves football. People can be and are stupid. 

https://www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2023/8/3/23818964/longhorns-daily-news-texas-quinn-ewers-mullet-steve-sarkisian

Dress the way you want to be perceived. Whether you like it or not, that's the way the world works. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Agree with this. Murphy was fine - but he doesn’t give us the best chance to win over a healthy Ewers. On a separate note, I think his throwing from his back foot stems from overconfidence in his arm strength 

Agree. He is a serviceable backup. Like Cooper Rush for the Cowboys. He doesnt give me great confidence that he is going to end up taking us to the promised land. He is a band aid until Ewers is back after the K State game. Season on the line next Saturday. Buckle up. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 1

The INT obviously and fumble were on him regardless of blocking. That hit shouldn't produce a fumble. But it's unfair to say he was terrible, at the same time his QBR and Passer Rating were 30 points lower than Quinns average. He's got a long way to go to be the reason we win games and he likely won't do that at Texas next year. 

His best throw was the Sanders catch in the 2nd half but other than that he wasn't asked to do a lot and had plenty of below average throws. His slants and check downs were good though and it helped move the chains at times. 

The RZ issues were in part due to Sarks distrust in him after the early gaffes. He did have some bad luck on the Whittington missed block and Brooks OB Touchdown. 

Any grade higher or lower than a B is wrong and we're gonna need more out of him next week. 

57 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Red zone comes down to execution more than anything else, both ways. We also have guys up front who either miss blocks, make poor contact, or get pushed back. The play to JT was a good one, but their guy beat a JWhitt block so credit to them.

I think we'll see more variations with the Red package going forward. We only need to show so much against BYU. Next week is gonna be a huge test.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jfc it was 30 wins

No, it was 20 consecutive wins with James Street as UT’s QB.  We went 8-1-1 in 1968 and 11-0 in 1969.  Street’s eligibility ended following that ‘69 season. The Horns next 10 wins came with Eddie Phillips at QB in the 1970 season giving us 30 consecutive wins from 1968-1970.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Would love to know what some of you dumb fucks though MM was going to do today. It's the guys first start. He's a backup for a reason. He got it done and we won by damn near 30 points.

Did you think he was about to fill in for 2-3 weeks and win a heisman? god damn 

Morgan Freeman Narrator Voice:  They were, in fact, dumb enough to think he was going to fill in for 2-3 weeks and win a heisman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never met Emmanuel, but per several people who played with both, Sam was universally beloved and you liked or hated Emmanuel.  In retrospect, that seems pretty accurate.  He was a solid to good player here who overachieved his recruiting ranking and has built an incredible brand despite being a relative no name in college and the pros.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

From my not entirely sober perspective in the stands, he looked shaky as fuck in the first half, but better overall in the second. He gets another week of first team reps and another game at home. Hopefully he’ll be better against Kansas State, but our defense will have to play lights out.

His deep balls were beautiful.  The slant to AD was beautiful.   When he threw the ball with conviction and time, he looked and played the part.  He will continue to feel more comfortable, I think if our OL can give him a chance (unlike his fumble and INT today), he should do fine against Kansas St.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Red zone comes down to execution more than anything else, both ways. We also have guys up front who either miss blocks, make poor contact, or get pushed back. The play to JT was a good one, but their guy beat a JWhitt block so credit to them.

I think we'll see more variations with the Red package going forward. We only need to show so much against BYU. Next week is gonna be a huge test.

Red zone should be simplify and execute. Don't need a lot of shiny shit inside the 20. Any of the 10 best plays should move the ball forward. 

2 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Red zone should be simplify and execute. Don't need a lot of shiny shit inside the 20. Any of the 10 best plays should move the ball forward. 

We don't have the OL to run IZ successfully when the other team is keying on it. RPOs have been our most effective plays down there. They also increase the risk of turnovers and negative plays.

11 hours ago, Jewish Wang said:

Tap in?  Okay, I’ll take the points. Im not talking shit. Im calling it like I see it, and frankly everyone I know sees it the same way, but Surly sees it differently. Your obnoxious take is a guy that is 6-1 with 13 TDs and 3 INTs with a 164 rating and literally the highest ranked recruit ever should be scrapped in the midst of a 7-1 season because you saw a few things you liked out of a complete project. That sentiment prevails here. 

Im prob getting negged because I’m not providing the requisite preambles here that I understand MM is a redshirt freshman, etc. I understand that. This isn’t last year. We have a chance to win the conference champ and cannot wait on MM to develop. I understand this isn’t his fault but your hot take is particularly ridiculous. 

Ztejas has been saying Quinn is horrible and saying Maalik is better than him on this and other threads all week.  The level of irrational hate makes it seem like Quinn fucked Ztejas’s girlfriend, mom and sisters and made Ztejas watch.

In the game Texas was the better team in almost all aspects and their defense and running game dominated the game for the win.  Malik’s performance if judged based on standards for all quarterbacks was poor.  If viewed as a first start for a young player being put in I would say mediocre to poor.  But that would be expected for most players in this situation.

The biggest concern I would have for Maalik is that the best way to cover up deficiencies for any quarterback, especially young and inexperienced ones, is to have dynamic athleticism and running to make up for not being as experienced and efficient as a passer and game manager.   But while he is a big and imposing athlete, I don’t think he is a dynamic athlete or runner.  At least I haven’t seen that…and reportedly he has a tender back as well.

K State will be a much better gauge of how well he can guide Texas until Quinn returns.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Any grade higher or lower than a B is wrong and we're gonna need more out of him next week. 

I'm not sure we will. We've been able to run all over this team in the past. They should be able to lean on the run game. 

Edited by Bevo14

14 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Ztejas has been saying Quinn is horrible and saying Maalik is better than him on this and other threads all week.  The level of irrational hate makes it seem like Quinn fucked Ztejas’s girlfriend, mom and sisters and made Ztejas watch.

In the game Texas was the better team in almost all aspects and their defense and running game dominated the game for the win.  Malik’s performance if judged based on standards for all quarterbacks was poor.  If viewed as a first start for a young player being put in I would say mediocre to poor.  But that would be expected for most players in this situation.

The biggest concern I would have for Maalik is that the best way to cover up deficiencies for any quarterback, especially young and inexperienced ones, is to have dynamic athleticism and running to make up for not being as experienced and efficient as a passer and game manager.   But while he is a big and imposing athlete, I don’t think he is a dynamic athlete or runner.  At least I haven’t seen that…and reportedly he has a tender back as well.

K State will be a much better gauge of how well he can guide Texas until Quinn returns.

Yes. MM was fine for his 1st start, but that level of play is going to end up in an L next week. Quinn looked completely different in game 2 compared to game 1. If Maalik makes a similar jump, Texas can beat KSU. If he doesn’t progress, no bueno. 

38 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This. I need to check the PFF numbers, but I don’t think we played the jumbo package, with Agbo at TE, at all against BYU. It’s been one of our most productive packages but I don’t think Sark wanted to put anymore of it on tape before Kansas St. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This. I need to check the PFF numbers, but I don’t think we played the jumbo package, with Agbo at TE, at all against BYU. It’s been one of our most productive packages but I don’t think Sark wanted to put anymore of it on tape before Kansas St. 

We ran it some, and I think we scored out of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

... he's a fucking annoying dickhead just like a lot of posters here with UT degrees are

image.thumb.png.4b97a40e7dfd9b59124ab2b7e887098d.png

2 hours ago, Crapinon said:

I don't get paid millions to coach, but I kinda of understand the philosophy behind this.

"Sometimes the best way to get rid of any of the jitters that a guy might have is let him go play," Sarkisian said. "When I was a quarterback, my first time I went out there, give me some throws. Don't make me wait until it's third-and-9 and now I have to throw it to try to make a play."

And yet, that is EXACTLY what Sark did too MM when he came into the UH game.

1 hour ago, Gidnik said:

...we didn't give him a lot of help with play calling, especially in the red zone.  double especially inside the 5. i don't understand our savant offensive coach not being able to score touchdowns in the red zone. 64th in red zone offense is shockingly bad., 

Sark has made me realize the huge difference in designing plays and calling plays.  Yea on the former, BOO! on the latter! Seems like a lot of 3rd & 4th down calls come down to only having a single option.

I like S.Red in the wildcat, but handing it off at least once seems like it might help spread things out. 

If we really tried to pulled a guard on a goal line rushing attempt,  that is some ... um ... suspect play calling. 

"A trap play is when all the linemen go one way and, hopefully, the defense goes the same way and if they do, see, it's a big hole and if they don't, well, it's bad news. Anyway, Concannon calls this trap play, and it's beautiful - 43 yards, wasn't it 43? Ah. So, Halas sees he's tired, and sends me in, so I go in and he comes out. Concannon then figures he's gonna get really foxy - you know, Concannon is - Then, he says, "Same play. Very - same - play." A trap play is also called, a sucker play; because, it makes the defense look *real* bad when it works. Now, defenses *do not* like to look real bad, see, it makes 'em kinda surly. So, anyway, all the linemen go this way, and it's like I am lookin' at a team portrait of the Los Angeles Rams. "Hey, Deacon! Merlin! How's the family, Rosey?" I was afraid to get up - I figured not everything was gonna come with me." - Brian Piccolo

1 hour ago, Pound Town said:

Finally a slant call in the red zone.  It was beautiful.  

So, we are calling that play once every other game now?  Yippee!!! Maybe one of these days, we'll call a wheel route for a RB.

You know that feeling you get when you know you made the right decision? Yes, I made a careful decision to stay away from this board yesterday. Good for me, see how smart I am?

Then I came back this morning and read this. Dumb ass!!!

It was MM's first start and we won going away.  Bad decision on the pick. OK. 2 first quarter turnovers. Not what I wanted to see. We went into the 2nd Qtr leading 14-0. I think MM will learned more from yesterday than any day in the last 3 years. 

We are 7 and 1 and OU lost. I'm good with that.

Edited by PTINS
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

The man did everything you would expect out of a raw prospect, who didn't even play that much in HS from what I understand. Of course, he had TOs but they were not going to cost us this game against BYU.  That's really all you can get out of this game. Next week will be a better barometer for him and the whole team. 

BTW, His ducks are almost as bad as QE's. The QB whisperer might need to start whispering a little louder.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Maaliks feet were his worst attribute today. His feet were so clean in the Spring game. The Mormons body slammed the mechanics out of him early. Though I think he showed a lot of promise. He’s got a real challenge ahead of him this week. 

My thoughts (worthless, I know) are that this was his first game-speed experience and it showed. At practice speed he can hold on to the ball too long, throw off his back foot, lob passes into nowhereville without consequences, other than coaches explaining what he did wrong.

He appeared to get more comfortable in the 2nd half and made his best throws late.

Also I think Sark called this game more with an eye to testing MM with certain plays, throws, etc., more than as a competitive game (if that makes sense).

All in all we’re fortunate that if QE isn’t ready next week, that MM got the BYU game to cut his teeth ahead of a stretch of tougher games.

Murphy look fine for a first start.  the INT was dumb but you have to expect that will happen once or twice.  not gonna put the fumble on him.

Our OL is still a shit show a good amount of the time(year 18 rinse repeat).  KSU is gonna be tougher than BYU on our OL, which is a big concern, since MM is not very mobile.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

No, it was 20 consecutive wins with James Street as UT’s QB.  We went 8-1-1 in 1968 and 11-0 in 1969.  Street’s eligibility ended following that ‘69 season. The Horns next 10 wins came with Eddie Phillips at QB in the 1970 season giving us 30 consecutive wins from 1968-1970.

Man. Those were the days.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

My thoughts (worthless, I know) are that this was his first game-speed experience and it showed. At practice speed he can hold on to the ball too long, throw off his back foot, lob passes into nowhereville without consequences, other than coaches explaining what he did wrong.

He appeared to get more comfortable in the 2nd half and made his best throws late.

Also I think Sark called this game more with an eye to testing MM with certain plays, throws, etc., more than as a competitive game (if that makes sense).

All in all we’re fortunate that if QE isn’t ready next week, that MM got the BYU game to cut his teeth ahead of a stretch of tougher games.

Drew Kelson said the same thing in the IT post game show. He said it looked like a game where one team knew they were going to win and coached like it. Used it almost as a scrimmage. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers