Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

Yeah they need to change this to after the CFP is concluded. It also screws up all the other bowl matchups.

Counterpoint: watching half of aggy portal away and decommit has kept me entertained throughout this down period between the conference championship and the playoff. I think we ought to keep the schedule just for that. I’d be pretty bored in December without it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Shit’s borked.  Need to change portal transfer window.  How the fuck does this make sense w the playoffs pending? 

He needs to be enrolled in school for the spring semester.

The shit’s that borked is that the playoffs go so far into January that football is now also a spring sport.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Should’ve clarified not an FBS talent currently. That’s my bad. You can’t teach that arm strength he has. He’ll probably never be a mobile threat, but if he can improve his ability to actually read a defense and his accuracy he has a very high ceiling. He does have a long way to go, not to knock him or anything but it’s just the current reality.

Reading defenses wasn't MM's issue. Consistent accuracy and composure when under duress was the issue.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

A big tip of the hat to Maalik.  He came in and saved our season, making the CFP possible.  For a guy coming in as a sub without endless starting team reps he did a fine job.  Despite what I felt was an inordinate criticism from some folks here.  I have a feeling that Maalik is going to be exactly what he was here, somewhere else.  A hard worker with talent, who has proven himself to be a hell of a teammate.

I have a feeling he is going to do very well, wherever he lands.  And I for one appreciate his time here, and wish him the very best wherever he may land.  I would love to see what he might do getting more than a week of starting snaps in practice before facing a ranked opponent.

Hook'em and good luck, Maalik!

+1

• Hook 'Em 1

Leach (RIP) figured it out. The wiring in the pre-motor-planning cortex is not generally susceptible to coaching an inaccurate passer into being a consistently accurate one.

People make this mistake all over the country, and everybody can think of one, but there will be a guy who is big, strong and athletic, and everyone gets tempted by speed and if someone has a super strong arm. Then they say 'Well all he has to do is work on his accuracy. Well ok. He won't be accurate in high school. Then some college will take him, and then he won't be accurate there, and then the NFL says 'all he has to do is work on his accuracy,' and they'll take him there, and he won't be accurate there and then he'll be out of the league. The thing that's amazing to me, is that after all of high school he's not accurate, and now all of a sudden you're special and you're going to make him accurate? And then after college he's not accurate, and you're special and you're going to make him accurate? I just haven't seen that happen. I've seen guys improve, but they don't all of a sudden become accurate."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Shit’s borked.  Need to change portal transfer window.  How the fuck does this make sense w the playoffs pending? 

I think there needs to be several changes, but unfortunately the window coincides with the end of fall semester and beginning of spring semester so changing the window to a later date in January/February would entail changing the entire university admissions policies for these players. Not really feasible. 

What I would do is make 1 transfer portal window from end of spring semester to beginning of summer 2. Completely do away with the December portal. 

I'd also put a GPA restriction of 2.8 or above to be able to use the portal as a non graduate transfer, and in terms of NIL I would require all money to be placed in a trust with a payable monthly living expense stipend for the duration of the athletes' collegiate career. As soon as the trust is paid out the player immediately loses all remaining collegiate eligibility. 

Those are 3 things I think could help clean this whole process up, especially with the move to a 12 team playoff next year. Something needs to be done to simplify this December madness for playoff teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Go get that bag Maalik🤘thanks for your contributions. 

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I really hope Maalik does well where ever he ends up.  

yeah I hope he can help my Gators out bridge to DJ

EXCEPT against Texas

Also, I'm really hoping Sark told him he's QB3 for the playoffs and that's why he's leaving right now. I don't want to believe the QB2 for a playoff team would quit on the team before the playoffs. All of us who were around in 2009 should know if a backup QB is important for the playoffs. Especially with a starter that has missed games both of his years on campus. I know Sark won't say it publicly because it makes Maalik look bad if he was demoted to QB3, but IMO it looks really bad on him if he was being counted on for the playoffs and quit on the team. 

There is an additional five day portal window in January for teams in the playoffs, so I think it is his choice to miss the playoffs. We have seen a lot of players skip meaningless bowl games. It was surreal to see Bijan and Roschon standing on the sidelines while we were getting beat down by Washington last year, but I can't really think of another athlete missing a playoff game. He's a great QB and has helped the team but this is poor form. 

I wish him all the best. 

"I hate it, I hate it," Murphy told ESPN. "I'm super invested in this team. Everything that we've done along the way and all the work we've put in together, it's hard to walk away, especially at this point during the season."

he knows he is not the future of the team. I am thankful that in the two games we started when QE went out we didn’t lose. He’s a great young man and I wish him well. I don’t know how many portal players will be playing in the postseason for their current team (I know there are a few from what I have read.) I think the best places for him are UCLA, Syracuse or Rice. Rice at least seems to be humming along a lot better than per usual.

Good luck Maalik and 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 hours ago, ousux said:
9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:
Only morons thought Milroe sucked. Go read my posts mocking that idea the day after our game. Along with CTJ and other non regards. 

It can't be denied even the goat was looking for a replacement in game 3 vs South Florida, but yeah I could see in our game where Milroe had potential to be dangerous if he just got a wee bit better in the passing game, and it seems he's done that.

And they designed a couple running plays for him that weren’t scramble drill. Which they did. 

Only morons thought Milroe sucked. Go read my posts mocking that idea the day after our game. Along with CTJ and other non regards. 

Milroe fucking sucked last year. I thought, and still do, he’s being used incorrectly. I think they’ve changed up some of what they do on offense to start using his running ability more.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So the tweet lists teams showing interest include:  Georgia, UCLA, LSU, Syracuse, Rice.

None of those seem like good options for Maalik.  Any other ideas for schools/coaches that run an offense built for a pocket passer?  Maybe a really good QB coach and offensive coordinator?

I'm not a fan of Maalik playing in the Big 10 or SEC at this point in his career.  Hope he finds a place where he can start, and get good QB development.  He definitely will need a good offensive line due to his lack of mobility...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

There is an additional five day portal window in January for teams in the playoffs, so I think it is his choice to miss the playoffs. We have seen a lot of players skip meaningless bowl games. It was surreal to see Bijan and Roschon standing on the sidelines while we were getting beat down by Washington last year, but I can't really think of another athlete missing a playoff game. He's a great QB and has helped the team but this is poor form. 

This is just plain stupid.

First, from Maalik’s perspective, it gives him freedom to carefully evaluate all alternatives and find his best fit, without that annoying little detail of having to prepare for a playoff game(s).

From the team’s perspective, now Arch can prepare as the sole option to go in if anything even as minor as QE loses his helmet on a play.

Not only is it not “poor form” it is essentially the closest thing anyone could have to a win-win in a difficult situation.
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

but this is poor form. 

Try again Copernicus. The situation/timing forced his hand, and he is handling it with class. I’m sure MM and Sark had a discussion and worked toward this resolution together.

Yours is simply another contrarian take that ignores all situational context and seeks to identify MM as a bad guy or “not a team player”. 

additionally, I’d wager this is the best result for both MM and Texas. It helps settle the QB room discussion for next year, and places Arch as QB2 for the CFP. I hope we don’t need arch, but I would prefer to have him as QB2 after seeing the full season play out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

there is also the situation on getting into school on time for the spring semester for the transfer

That’s the main problem imo. The academic calendar and the football calendar don’t align now.

This shit is only going to get worse when it’s 12 teams in the playoffs instead of 4 next year 

12 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

The portal window leaves him no choice. His choice was basically 1) stay for the playoffs and waste another year on the bench at Texas, or 2) leave his team before the playoffs so he has an opportunity to start and play next year 

You can’t fault him for making the decision that is best for him. I fault the NCAA for forcing that choice upon him.

I dont think that is correct. College football playoff participants have an additional 5 day window in January.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think that is correct. College football playoff participants have an additional 5 day window in January.. 

Correct.

Just heard this on “Full Ride.”  Rick was saying that most likely the team he wants to go to is basically saying that he needs to let them know now.

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

But if you wait that long the available jobs have already been filled, and you don’t have as much time to meet with coaches to find the best spot. It’s in his best interest to get in the portal now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammerin Hank said:

But if you wait that long the available jobs have already been filled, and you don’t have as much time to meet with coaches to find the best spot. It’s in his best interest to get in the portal now.

I would not argue that. Just stating the facts. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

So the tweet lists teams showing interest include:  Georgia, UCLA, LSU, Syracuse, Rice.

None of those seem like good options for Maalik.  Any other ideas for schools/coaches that run an offense built for a pocket passer?  Maybe a really good QB coach and offensive coordinator?

I'm not a fan of Maalik playing in the Big 10 or SEC at this point in his career.  Hope he finds a place where he can start, and get good QB development.  He definitely will need a good offensive line due to his lack of mobility...

I know a total of one UH fans. He is hoping they can afford to pay Milwee enough as an OC to leave his current position. 

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers