Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

NEW: (Nothing has changed)

*Send tweet*

Yeah I don’t know if the DA released a statement or that reporter contacted them and they answered him or what.

At almost exactly the same time KXAN tweeted out a story about his contract and how he could be terminated for cause 🤷🏼‍♂️

4 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I asked a simple question in a polite manner and you've now written multiple angry paragraphs in response. I won't respond to you after this post, but please get a grip dude.

I wasn't trying to troll/trigger you, but man if I was trying to troll/trigger you I would have gotten exactly what I wanted.

I hope you have a great 2023. For real. Just relax. It's fine. You don't have to constantly wage Internet war with everyone.

tenor.gif?itemid=7963746&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, he fucked himself here and fucked this University by making stupid ass choices.

So I could give a rats ass what he does at Mississippi State or Auburn or UTRGV or wherever he ends up after the PR shitstorm dies down. He won't be unhirable if the charges are dropped but it's damn sure going to follow him for the rest of his career.

He has no one to blame but himself.

Not lamenting his possible firing. I wish ill on every coach who leaves Texas for any reason whatsoever. I'm petty like that. Nothing against @shadow_operative and his love and appreciation for Rick Barnes, because I have a ton of respect for Derka, but I'm glad Barnes has continued his post season woes at Tennessee. 

Fred Akers, John Mackovic, Charlie Strong, Tom Penders, Bob Wetlich, Shaka Smart, Karen Alston, Mick Haley, Jim Moore, Mack Brown, on and on. I didn't root against Abe Lemons that much because he wasn't at a competitive program. Some other coaches I didn't list were never head coaches again. Some are in sports I'm not going to give a lot of thought to. It's not meant to be comprehensive. Just an indication that it's all encompassing and includes all sports. I hope they all fail. 

But it's going to suck watching him succeed somewhere else, which he's going to at a spectacular level. That's not the same as saying he should remain the head coach at Texas. Like I've said previously, if he choked a bitch or otherwise was physical with her he has to go. Period. Even without conclusive evidence one way or another, I can't think of a head coach at a major university who kept their job after appearing in a jailor outfit in front of a judge for a felony assault arrest. I don't even know how long that list is off the top of my head, other than Mickey Joseph at Nebraska, which is not the same thing at all. 

I'm just being realistic. If/when he's fired, he's eventually going to be coaching at another major college program, and he's going to do really really well, and it's going to suck a big one for me. 

Like I've told people pretty much all my life. You're never over your past relationship until you're in your next one. Terry ain't it. I've never liked the guy as a coach. Never. Even when he was an assistant under Barnes I wasn't a fan of the guy (except for his loyalty, which was exceptional). If they managed to keep him my interest in Texas basketball would fade into a minimal life support level until he's gone. I have no idea who they'd hire, but I hope he's really really good.

It's going to be a problematic hire, without a doubt. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2

Whatever happens, if im CDC, I strongly consider offering proven legit top head coaches highest paying contract in history. Only way we can buy as close to a sure thing as we can

who is the current highest paid coach in cbb? We SHOULD pay 1.5 times that, especially because of what we have now invested in the program. Especially because we have new/insane fan support. Especially because we saved 300 million on the moody.

in the end, itll only end up 15-20 million more but likely be worth 3-4 times that if we hire a winner. If not, its only 15-20 million. Not much in the grand scheme

Also, im high AF tight now so sorry if post

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Whatever happens, if im CDC, I strongly consider offering proven legit top head coaches highest paying contract in history. Only way we can buy as close to a sure thing as we can

who is the current highest paid coach in cbb? We SHOULD pay 1.5 times that, especially because of what we have now invested in the program. Especially because we have new/insane fan support. Especially because we saved 300 million on the moody.

in the end, itll only end up 15-20 million more but likely be worth 3-4 times that if we hire a winner. If not, its only 15-20 million. Not much in the grand scheme

Also, im high AF tight now so sorry if post

It will be a super attractive job. The roster is going to be pretty much wide open, we have NIL support for basketball, new arena, good recruiting base and more people give a damn about basketball than ever before.

3 hours ago, Felix said:

Oh I get it.  Let's just say that the conversation involved someone very, very high in Belmont.  A guy in a burnt orange suit if you will.  I was keeping my poor ass head down just hoping for a future invite. 

Thanks, Javan!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It will be a super attractive job. The roster is going to be pretty much wide open, we have NIL support for basketball, new arena, good recruiting base and more people give a damn about basketball than ever before.

Of course it's a super attractive job. We always throw a shit ton of money at every coach we hire, hoping they bring us above median performance. 

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Great selling points no doubt. I’m just asking what are the odds that we get a hire right twice, back to back?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Of course it's a super attractive job. We always throw a shit ton of money at every coach we hire, hoping they bring us above median performance. 

Who the fuck are you?

"...hoping they bring us above median performance."

Football, men's basketball are the only sports producing "above median performance." I'd argue soccer, too, but they had a decent year this year in part thanks to the Big 12 being so woeful in the sport.

EVERY OTHER SPORT is performing at an elite level. Get the fuck out of here with your "hoping they bring us above median performance." They're fucking up with the football hires, but in every other sport they're killing it with their hires. Seriously killing it. Fuck off. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, CTC2 said:

Great selling points no doubt. I’m just asking what are the odds that we get a hire right twice, back to back?

Well, it looks like we're about to find out. I hope so. I really have less than zero interest in watching Terry flail away. But given how the team is falling apart already under his watch, it doesn't look like I have that much to be concerned about. 

Could be a bunch of coaches getting really big raises to prevent them leaving. I hated the baseball hiring process that led to David Pierce, even if it seems to have worked out in the end. I like it when CDC is able to identify his target and then goes out and acquires them.

There simply aren't many coaches on the same kind of resume level Beard was when he was hired. And none of them are alumni. I don't think any of them are all that reasonable as targets even with a virtually unlimited budget, which the basketball job will not have. But $5m a year is still a really big amount.

I'm at least hopeful. We'll see how it goes. Mostly I wish all of this didn't happen. But it did, and now here we are. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

The fuck do the GD Germans have to do with any of this shit?!

Boy, when we get back home the first thing I’m gonna do is punch your momma in the mouth…

EDIT - Well shit, I guess that attitude’s what got us into this predicament in the first place….

Edited by Ignatius
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

assuming charges get dropped, he’s going to get a pretty decent next job if we fire him and have a ton of success.  It probably will be at an SEC school, because they don’t give a fuck.  And it’s going to be a perpetual kick in the balls to all of us.  

What do you think we are? We're only a year or so away from being there. If we don't get with the program and start competing on their level we're gonna get our shit pushed in the 2 big money sports. Joining the SEC was a horrible idea if they aren't ready to compete on the SEC level and that means going 100% All in. If the charges are dropped and nothing really horrible comes out publicly then sending the best coach in the country away is not going to cut it. 

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

This. Burns my ass. Friggin A&M’s DC killed someone and they just hired Bobby Petrino. 
Would not at all surprise me to see them fire Williams at the end of the season and hire Beard. 
We don’t need to be the moral beacon for college athletics. We act like we are too good for it or above the fray. How about some conference championships first?

As much as we make fun of aggy, and they are really very inept, if they continue to go all in on winning it's only a matter of time until they start pulling ahead of us if we don't have the same level of dedication. If they hire Beard they're going to be beating our asses in the SEC within a couple of years. And for the people who don't care because they don't like basketball I've got news for you... this isn't just about basketball. If they aren't willing to go all in here they're not going to do it for football either. If their sensibilities are too hurt by a guy who had a one time domestic violence incident then they aren't going to be ready to compete to win the SEC in football. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

What do you think we are? We're only a year or so away from being there. If we don't get with the program and start competing on their level we're gonna get our shit pushed in the 2 big money sports. Joining the SEC was a horrible idea if they aren't ready to compete on the SEC level and that means going 100% All in. If the charges are dropped and nothing really horrible comes out publicly then sending the best coach in the country away is not going to cut it. 

As much as we make fun of aggy, and they are really very inept, if they continue to go all in on winning it's only a matter of time until they start pulling ahead of us if we don't have the same level of dedication. If they hire Beard they're going to be beating our asses in the SEC within a couple of years. And for the people who don't care because they don't like basketball I've got news for you... this isn't just about basketball. If they aren't willing to go all in here they're not going to do it for football either. If their sensibilities are too hurt by a guy who had a one time domestic violence incident then they aren't going to be ready to compete to win the SEC in football. 

just get ready to watch some shit basketball, there's no homerun can't miss hire coming after Beard. Beard was that guy.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Texas Am Win GIF by Texas A&M University

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Who the fuck are you?

"...hoping they bring us above median performance."

Football, men's basketball are the only sports producing "above median performance." I'd argue soccer, too, but they had a decent year this year in part thanks to the Big 12 being so woeful in the sport.

EVERY OTHER SPORT is performing at an elite level. Get the fuck out of here with your "hoping they bring us above median performance." They're fucking up with the football hires, but in every other sport they're killing it with their hires. Seriously killing it. Fuck off. 

You mean the sports that matter minus baseball. Got it. Why are you so angry?

He won't be charged; he'll win a title elsewhere, but at least the Austin craft beer fart sniffers can hold their heads high.

Nobody outside the Austin bubble gives a shit. But... but what if students in Lubbock make mean game signs? I've never seen so many adults care about what other people think. Do the craft beer fart sniffers care that many of our student athletes are students in name only?

This university needs to decide what type of AD it wants that's already loosely associated with the academic mission of the school. I thought moving to SEC gave us an indication.

Ultimately, it's just basketball dude. Win more fucking football games.

• Hook 'Em 9

35 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

They all matter to me. If Texas is going to field a team in a sport I want them to have the goal of competing for national championships. I've always felt that way. We're closer to that now than at any point in my lifetime.

They didn't fuck up the basketball hire with someone who was going to produce an "above median performance." The elite level coach fucked up by getting arrested for felonious assault on his significant other. That's not a failure of the hiring process.

Why am I angry? A guy I felt like was the answer to a 40 year wish has now fucked things up - in frankly what looks like an irreparable way for him. Now I get to watch him go off and be tremendously successful somewhere else, which will feel like a kick in the balls. The guy in charge right now is someone who I have despised as a coach (just a coach, not as an administrator or recruiter) for 20+ years. The hiring process will be a roulette wheel regardless. 

But to act as if the hiring process has brought in mediocre coach after mediocre coach across the athletic department is a sack of shit, lazy accusation to make. Simply say they've hired mediocre football coaches, and haven't brought in an elite soccer coach, because that's the only accurate criticism that can be made at this point. 

There's no guarantee the next coach will be a failure or a success. I can only hope they hire the best candidate possible and they do a great job. They won't necessarily be Beard, but they don't have to be. It's possible to follow up a hire with another good hire. Happens all the time. It's also possible to hire someone who doesn't do well at all, in which case we'll have to start over again at some point. The whole thing fucking sucks, but this is how the world works. 

I'm only quoting you because I agree with literally every word of this. It's flawless.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I hate these times in public life (seems to happen most frequently in sports) where someone fucks up, and the pound of flesh is getting fired from their current job. After that they are (usually) free to get another job in a year or two. In situations like this, we (UT and its fans) get punished more than Beard. Is he going to be a D1 coach again soon? Almost definitely. If the charges get dropped, I do not agree that UT has some moral imperative to fire him just to watch him succeed at another school while we flounder. And in step with @Hermanator’s point, why the hell did the admin and big cigars choose to go to the SEC if they are not willing to be more aggressive and lax with some rules and standards like every other SEC school?

51 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Yep, that’s the pain. Beard fucks up and Texas is the one that will suffer in the end. I’m hopeful it’s not for long. 

Beard is losing his dream job. 

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This board seriously needs to move on from Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, and Brad Stevens. Those aren’t happening. 

UT is an institution that loves its reputation. Sometimes, that reputation (among certain groups) is the “we are above you” mantra because we went to The University of Texas. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen on message boards and heard at Texas the saying “We’re Texas, we don’t do that” or “We’re Texas, we don’t need to do that.”

But the odd part is in the same conversations as it pertains to athletics,  people constantly complain that UT doesn’t do better in the sports that it should. Could that be because some are concerned about the reputation of the university as a whole? Or is it because Texas can do it the “right way” and doesn’t have to do things that are considered beneath UT. 

So if Beard is eventually fired and the case dismissed (which is what it’s looking like) the question will be is it because the university fully believes he did something or is it because it just “looks bad” to keep him, regardless of what happens to the case. The same thing happened when it was clearly time for Jody to go, when Shaka should have been dismissed, and what I think will happen to Sark (although that remains to be seen as it looks like things are trending up—for now.)

The only thing that gives me hope here is CDC. He pulled a rabbit by hiring Vic for WBB when no one thought that was a realistic idea. Since basketball is his first love and he has a lot of respect amongst coaches across the country, I’m hopeful we can come out of this with a great hire. 

But let me be clear—I’ve been severely sad about this since it happened. As much as some of y’all can’t believe it, some Longhorns actually like Longhorn Basketball as their favorite sport. It’s been mine for forever (and yes, football is immediately close too as my football roadtrips and tailgating have indicated.) Look, I just don’t get into baseball until they get into the tournament. Sorry. But what I’m not doing is going to the baseball board to tell everyone “yeah, but it’s baseball so I don’t really care.” Shit like that is lame. 

Beard could have built a monster here, the monster some of us have always wanted as basketball fans. And to see that slip away after one bad decision hurts like fucking hell.

Bingo. I vacillate between the different stages of grief. 

Thank God for volleyball, which I've also followed closely for several years. This past season was a godsend for me. A true fantasy type season. But it doesn't make up for the nuclear bomb leveled on my basketball dreams. It's been devastating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Even if Texas would have tried to push through the negative PR and bring him back, other teams would have crucified him on the recruiting trail. And those opposing coaches don’t give a shit what happens in the legal process or any fancy statements made by lawyers to try to make things better. The damage was done. Nothing Beard or his fiancé say can take away him being in handcuffs and pictured in a prison uniform the morning of a damn game. Innocence, guilt, misunderstanding or whatever it was, it doesn’t matter. I don’t always agree with the way society pushes or presents certain things or how things are done nowadays but it is what it is. We have to live it with.

It absolutely 1000000% sucks that he will coach again after some time passes and he works his way back up. Unfortunately that can’t happen here. We have to pay perhaps a worst penalty for his actions by not having him around anymore, but life ain’t fair. He will have the cloud of this hanging over him the rest of his career and we can distance ourselves from this shitty situation with a strong hire and keeping this train moving in the right direction. Beard is not the only coach who could ever win a national championship here.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Even if Texas would have tried to push through the negative PR and bring him back, other teams would have crucified him on the recruiting trail. And those opposing coaches don’t give a shit what happens in the legal process or any fancy statements made by lawyers to try to make things better. The damage was done. Nothing Beard or his fiancé say can take away him being in handcuffs and pictured in a prison uniform the morning of a damn game. Innocence, guilt, misunderstanding or whatever it was, it doesn’t matter. I don’t always agree with the way society pushes or presents certain things or how things are done nowadays but it is what it is. We have to live it with.

It absolutely 1000000% sucks that he will coach again after some time passes and he works his way back up. Unfortunately that can’t happen here. We have to pay perhaps a worst penalty for his actions by not having him around anymore, but life ain’t fair. He will have the cloud of this hanging over him the rest of his career and we can distance ourselves from this shitty situation with a strong hire and keeping this train moving in the right direction. Beard is not the only coach who could ever win a national championship here.

Unless there are facts that have not yet come to light, no one is going to give a fuck about this at the school he is coaching at in three years.  This dude thrives on a crowd cheering against him and his team.  Players go where coaches can put them in the league and win.  His ability to teach defense will keep him in demand with players as well.  Hell, he may gain some credibility with some for being treated wrongly.  

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This board seriously needs to move on from Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, and Brad Stevens. Those aren’t happening. 

UT is an institution that loves its reputation. Sometimes, that reputation (among certain groups) is the “we are above you” mantra because we went to The University of Texas. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen on message boards and heard at Texas the saying “We’re Texas, we don’t do that” or “We’re Texas, we don’t need to do that.”

But the odd part is in the same conversations as it pertains to athletics,  people constantly complain that UT doesn’t do better in the sports that it should. Could that be because some are concerned about the reputation of the university as a whole? Or is it because Texas can do it the “right way” and doesn’t have to do things that are considered beneath UT. 

So if Beard is eventually fired and the case dismissed (which is what it’s looking like) the question will be is it because the university fully believes he did something or is it because it just “looks bad” to keep him, regardless of what happens to the case. The same thing happened when it was clearly time for Jody to go, when Shaka should have been dismissed, and what I think will happen to Sark (although that remains to be seen as it looks like things are trending up—for now.)

The only thing that gives me hope here is CDC. He pulled a rabbit by hiring Vic for WBB when no one thought that was a realistic idea. Since basketball is his first love and he has a lot of respect amongst coaches across the country, I’m hopeful we can come out of this with a great hire. 

But let me be clear—I’ve been severely sad about this since it happened. As much as some of y’all can’t believe it, some Longhorns actually like Longhorn Basketball as their favorite sport. It’s been mine for forever (and yes, football is immediately close too as my football roadtrips and tailgating have indicated.) Look, I just don’t get into baseball until they get into the tournament. Sorry. But what I’m not doing is going to the baseball board to tell everyone “yeah, but it’s baseball so I don’t really care.” Shit like that is lame. 

Beard could have built a monster here, the monster some of us have always wanted as basketball fans. And to see that slip away after one bad decision hurts like fucking hell.

I agree with this 100%. And I know some love Texas basketball first and football second. It’s completely understandable. Not sure what’s going to happen just came to say you’re correct on all of what you said here.

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

They all matter to me. If Texas is going to field a team in a sport I want them to have the goal of competing for national championships. I've always felt that way. We're closer to that now than at any point in my lifetime.

They didn't fuck up the basketball hire with someone who was going to produce an "above median performance." The elite level coach fucked up by getting arrested for felonious assault on his significant other. That's not a failure of the hiring process.

Why am I angry? A guy I felt like was the answer to a 40 year wish has now fucked things up - in frankly what looks like an irreparable way for him. Now I get to watch him go off and be tremendously successful somewhere else, which will feel like a kick in the balls. The guy in charge right now is someone who I have despised as a coach (just a coach, not as an administrator or recruiter) for 20+ years. The hiring process will be a roulette wheel regardless. 

But to act as if the hiring process has brought in mediocre coach after mediocre coach across the athletic department is a sack of shit, lazy accusation to make. Simply say they've hired mediocre football coaches, and haven't brought in an elite soccer coach, because that's the only accurate criticism that can be made at this point. 

There's no guarantee the next coach will be a failure or a success. I can only hope they hire the best candidate possible and they do a great job. They won't necessarily be Beard, but they don't have to be. It's possible to follow up a hire with another good hire. Happens all the time. It's also possible to hire someone who doesn't do well at all, in which case we'll have to start over again at some point. The whole thing fucking sucks, but this is how the world works. 

Well you just said you rooted against all our old coaches. A little extreme.

Director’s Cups or not, CDC will remembered for Sark, and Sark’s replacement if he can’t get it turned around next year. Beard isn’t on him and for those around saying it is, that’s laughable. We’re all pissed at Beard and I suspect the chatter a lot have been hearing lately is exactly what many of us feared/expected the morning this was announced. I trust him to get hoops right and football right. I agree he’s had too much success in non-revenue sports. I’m simply pointing out he’s got to get these two right because they are by far the ones that matter. And I’ve got daughters that could compete athletically at the next level, so I do pay attention to volleyball and other non-revenue sports, but I do not want to turn in Stanford athletically. 

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

Unless there are facts that have not yet come to light, no one is going to give a fuck about this at the school he is coaching at in three years.  This dude thrives on a crowd cheering against him and his team.  Players go where coaches can put them in the league and win.  His ability to teach defense will keep him in demand with players as well.  Hell, he may gain some credibility with some for being treated wrongly.  

Agreed with all of this, and I think he could even shake the image while coaching at Texas after some time. If Pitino could still coach after what he pulled, Beard could. I don’t think our admin would tolerate what other schools tolerated with Pitino, Petrino, Knight. I’m not going to state an opinion on whether I think that’s smart, but it’s certainly the “right” thing to do, and given there’s nothing we can do about it, there’s not much use in wasting message board energy on it. 

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Well you just said you rooted against all our old coaches. A little extreme.

Director’s Cups or not, CDC will remembered for Sark, and Sark’s replacement if he can’t get it turned around next year. Beard isn’t on him and for those around saying it is, that’s laughable. We’re all pissed at Beard and I suspect the chatter a lot have been hearing lately is exactly what many of us feared/expected the morning this was announced. I trust him to get hoops right and football right. I agree he’s had too much success in non-revenue sports. I’m simply pointing out he’s got to get these two right because they are by far the ones that matter. And I’ve got daughters that could compete athletically at the next level, so I do pay attention to volleyball and other non-revenue sports, but I do not want to turn in Stanford athletically. 

I don't understand. You were asking me why I'm so angry. Is it supposed to be entirely rational? Being a fan and making an emotional investment into something that none of us have any real control over is completely irrational. I don't care whether it's extreme or not. This is all entertainment at the end of the day, and I enjoy being petty about our previous coaches. If Beard goes on to coach another team for whatever reason I will always hope he fails miserably, even if I don't believe he will. The idea I'd have to defend that perspective to you is idiotic. I don't care whether you find that extreme or not. That's always been my behavior. That will be my behavior here. 

Deloss Dodds survived the hiring of David McWilliams, John Mackovic, Bob Wetlich, and Tom Penders just fine. All before either Barnes or Brown were hired (16 YEARS into his tenure!). He did it because the athletic director is measured based on revenue generation and overall athletic performance and funding. No one is going to measure CDC on Sarkisian because he wisely sought cover under Hartzell and especially Eltife. You're creating a measurement for him out of thin cloth that has never existed for the athletic director in UT's history.

And if you're concerned about Sark, go get concerned about Sark on the football board. Sarkisian's performance doesn't have anything to do with Beard. Or vice versa. If Texas went on to win a national championship in men's basketball and still fielded 8-5 teams in football there will still be plenty of pissed off people around. Especially if we're watching fucking TCU compete for national championships at the same time. I'd be one of them. 

I also don't give two shits about your daughters' level of athletic ability. I mean, congrats to them and to a lesser degree you. But unless they're going to be difference makers at Texas - which is extremely difficult to do, especially volleyball where Texas only brings in the best of the best - then I have no idea how that's germane to anything. Good for you and them. 

I wouldn't worry too much about Texas becoming Stanford. Texas recruits to the minimum NCAA academic standard. Stanford does not. Stanford won't accept a commitment until the student passes the academic admission process, which isn't until the end of their senior year. Scholarship athletes at Texas are practically guaranteed admission at this point - again, assuming they pass the NCAA minimum, which lo and behold, they almost always do. Texas has athlete friendly majors. Stanford does not. Texas can get in almost any transfer they want (unless they've taken a bunch of criminology/criminal justice classes). Stanford only accepts about 60 transfers per year period in their entire student body. Football just this past year is now able to bring in 4 transfer players per year assuming they qualify academically, but that's a huge breakthrough that's not available for any other sport (I'm assuming maybe due to Dennis Green's exit interview, but don't know about that).

Texas already makes all kinds of compromises to field successful teams in football and men's basketball, both above board and under the table. If they don't keep a coach arrested for felonious assault then I guess that's a line they're not willing to cross just yet. But I'd love for someone to point out for me a major college that has. Some of you are acting as if this is some kind of indication of a purity in the UT athletic department that simply isn't there and hasn't been for some time. 

At the end of the day people can take whatever side they want. I do know if Chris Beard is fired he has only himself to blame. There are a thousand ways that evening doesn't end with him in a local jail cell. And yet, that's where he was. If people want to rationalize about why Texas should keep him, I say go right ahead. I don't know what happened that night. If he didn't physically assault/choke his fiancee, he didn't actually bite her, maybe he tried to push her away and yelled at her aggressively, then sure, he's getting a bit of a raw deal. But unless there were hidden nanny cams with footage that's going to come out completely exonerating him, and the marks on the fiancee that were allegedly present at the time of the arrest turn out to be completely fictitious, then I don't understand how we come to that conclusion. 

But this idea that suddenly Texas is indicating they don't want to win in the SEC is hilarious. There's plenty of dirty pool being played at Texas. It's been going on for quite some time. ESPECIALLY in basketball, where it hasn't been possible to be consistently competitive without making under the table payments for 30 years or so. And now with NIL here a lot more is perfectly legitimized. The problem with winning is the same it has always been. You have to have the right coach. We had the right coach in basketball and now he's fucked it up. Maybe they hire another "right" coach the next time. 

But if CDC keeps the money pouring in, evidence suggests he's going to be just fine regardless of how many coaches come through under his watch in football and men's basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't understand. You were asking me why I'm so angry. Is it supposed to be entirely rational? Being a fan and making an emotional investment into something that none of us have any real control over is completely irrational. I don't care whether it's extreme or not. This is all entertainment at the end of the day, and I enjoy being petty about our previous coaches. If Beard goes on to coach another team for whatever reason I will always hope he fails miserably, even if I don't believe he will. The idea I'd have to defend that perspective to you is idiotic. I don't care whether you find that extreme or not. That's always been my behavior. That will be my behavior here. 

Deloss Dodds survived the hiring of David McWilliams, John Mackovic, Bob Wetlich, and Tom Penders just fine. All before either Barnes or Brown were hired (16 YEARS into his tenure!). He did it because the athletic director is measured based on revenue generation and overall athletic performance and funding. No one is going to measure CDC on Sarkisian because he wisely sought cover under Hartzell and especially Eltife. You're creating a measurement for him out of thin cloth that has never existed for the athletic director in UT's history.

And if you're concerned about Sark, go get concerned about Sark on the football board. Sarkisian's performance doesn't have anything to do with Beard. Or vice versa. If Texas went on to win a national championship in men's basketball and still fielded 8-5 teams in football there will still be plenty of pissed off people around. Especially if we're watching fucking TCU compete for national championships at the same time. I'd be one of them. 

I also don't give two shits about your daughters' level of athletic ability. I mean, congrats to them and to a lesser degree you. But unless they're going to be difference makers at Texas - which is extremely difficult to do, especially volleyball where Texas only brings in the best of the best - then I have no idea how that's germane to anything. Good for you and them. 

I wouldn't worry too much about Texas becoming Stanford. Texas recruits to the minimum NCAA academic standard. Stanford does not. Stanford won't accept a commitment until the student passes the academic admission process, which isn't until the end of their senior year. Scholarship athletes at Texas are practically guaranteed admission at this point - again, assuming they pass the NCAA minimum, which lo and behold, they almost always do. Texas has athlete friendly majors. Stanford does not. Texas can get in almost any transfer they want (unless they've taken a bunch of criminology/criminal justice classes). Stanford only accepts about 60 transfers per year period in their entire student body. Football just this past year is now able to bring in 4 transfer players per year assuming they qualify academically, but that's a huge breakthrough that's not available for any other sport (I'm assuming maybe due to Dennis Green's exit interview, but don't know about that).

Texas already makes all kinds of compromises to field successful teams in football and men's basketball, both above board and under the table. If they don't keep a coach arrested for felonious assault then I guess that's a line they're not willing to cross just yet. But I'd love for someone to point out for me a major college that has. Some of you are acting as if this is some kind of indication of a purity in the UT athletic department that simply isn't there and hasn't been for some time. 

At the end of the day people can take whatever side they want. I do know if Chris Beard is fired he has only himself to blame. There are a thousand ways that evening doesn't end with him in a local jail cell. And yet, that's where he was. If people want to rationalize about why Texas should keep him, I say go right ahead. I don't know what happened that night. If he didn't physically assault/choke his fiancee, he didn't actually bite her, maybe he tried to push her away and yelled at her aggressively, then sure, he's getting a bit of a raw deal. But unless there were hidden nanny cams with footage that's going to come out completely exonerating him, and the marks on the fiancee that were allegedly present at the time of the arrest turn out to be completely fictitious, then I don't understand how we come to that conclusion. 

But this idea that suddenly Texas is indicating they don't want to win in the SEC is hilarious. There's plenty of dirty pool being played at Texas. It's been going on for quite some time. ESPECIALLY in basketball, where it hasn't been possible to be consistently competitive without making under the table payments for 30 years or so. And now with NIL here a lot more is perfectly legitimized. The problem with winning is the same it has always been. You have to have the right coach. We had the right coach in basketball and now he's fucked it up. Maybe they hire another "right" coach the next time. 

But if CDC keeps the money pouring in, evidence suggests he's going to be just fine regardless of how many coaches come through under his watch in football and men's basketball. 

Love the unintentional Bob Wetlick reference.  Dude looked like a cross between an accountant and a serial killer.  And Tom Penders, that was a great time.  My personal best Penders story, we were at the Dog and Duck on St Paddy’s Day waiting in line for the bathroom.   He offered to hold my two beers.  I came out of the portacan, and he had emptied both of them.  That dude was a bigger mess than me, and that’s quite an accomplishment.  

• Haha 1

Yeah, he's gone. Best just process that and get over it. How can a coach preach accountability when they aren't being held accountable for something like this? Yes, he will coach somewhere else. Yes, he will probably be very successful. And he will be able to say i made a mistake, i was held accountable, and i learned from it.

Keeping him around, it just wouldn't be the same as it was before. And i think deep down we all know that.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Fuck eltife. 

I don't know if it's solely an IT thing or what, but it makes me laugh how we're constantly told that Eltife is "making the decisions". 

He must have some lackeys somewhere constantly trying to pump this bullshit to make him seem bigger (no pun intended).

Ultimately this decision goes to the President's desk, I am sure of it. If Eltife's decision had been to keep him under any circumstances that would have needed the full approval of highest UT leadership.

So, no, this is not in fact his decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I don't know if it's solely an IT thing or what, but it makes me laugh how we're constantly told that Eltife is "making the decisions". 

He must have some lackeys somewhere constantly trying to pump this bullshit to make him seem bigger (no pun intended).

Ultimately this decision goes to the President's desk, I am sure of it. If Eltife's decision had been to keep him under any circumstances that would have needed the full approval of highest UT leadership.

So, no, this is not in fact his decision.

To pile on to this.  If Eltife is making these decisions (he's not), the entire accountability, responsibility, and authority alignment at UT is FUBAR.  However, it is not.

If Eltife is formally involved at all, it is as a result of Hartzell bringing a topic to the Board of Regents for support/consideration/etc.  Not unlike when a corporate CEO is making a giant decision and wants to make sure the board is aligned.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

To pile on to this.  If Eltife is making these decisions (he's not), the entire accountability, responsibility, and authority alignment at UT is FUBAR.  However, it is not.

If Eltife is formally involved at all, it is as a result of Hartzell bringing a topic to the Board of Regents for support/consideration/etc.  Not unlike when a corporate CEO is making a giant decision and wants to make sure the board is aligned.

Does the firing need approval by the BoR if there is some sort of payout? That's the only scenario I could see where Eltife getting involved or for approving pay of next hire.

I hate these times in public life (seems to happen most frequently in sports) where someone fucks up, and the pound of flesh is getting fired from their current job. After that they are (usually) free to get another job in a year or two. In situations like this, we (UT and its fans) get punished more than Beard. Is he going to be a D1 coach again soon? Almost definitely. If the charges get dropped, I do not agree that UT has some moral imperative to fire him just to watch him succeed at another school while we flounder. And in step with [mention=2745]Hermanator[/mention]’s point, why the hell did the admin and big cigars choose to go to the SEC if they are not willing to be more aggressive and lax with some rules and standards like every other SEC school?

It’s not just what happened, its what will happen in the future. Looking at the risk assessment of retaining Beard:

1) How likely is Beard will be violent again, and against staff or students? This incident could put other interactions in a different context.
2) How likely will the relationship blow up? He’s gonna remain engaged with someone who falsely accused him? he’s poised to end it? or He’s the problem no matter who he’s involved with?
3) Are there past incidents, evidence, text messages, 911 calls, photos likely to embarrass/undermine decision to keep him?
4) How this incident impacts Beard’s ability to coach and recruit
5) PR hit is probably the least of the issues if the above risks are low. But a PR campaign to restore Beard’s reputation if you keep him is bound to backfire and represents another risk. Especially if you are dependent on Beard’s fiancee to cooperate.

Going to the SEC Texas has inherent advantages that it can leverage - location, resources, branding. Making bad decisions and ignoring slow motion train wrecks is not an advantage going into the SEC.

Regarding Beard, I really like his program building and intensity. X’s and O’s seemed solid. But his offenses are not elite. You look at the above and take a shot at doing better. It’s a dick shot for sure. But could pay dividends.

I think if the rumors are true and his future wife is volatile, then I can see BMD not wanting the drama and hits to UT’s reputation. Whether Beard dumps her, she blackmails him, she airs all the dirty laundry, etc. Or they fight again. They dont want it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does the firing need approval by the BoR if there is some sort of payout? That's the only scenario I could see where Eltife getting involved or for approving pay of next hire.

I think the answer is "yes" if there is a termination and payout.

I reminded myself of what happened during Herman's termination - and the answer is "yes".

It is clear in the statement that CDC made the recommendation to Hartzell. 

https://www.kltv.com/2021/01/02/university-texas-board-regents-fires-head-football-coach-tom-herman/

The University of Texas Board of Regents has voted to fire head football coach Tom Herman after the Longhorns went 7-3 for the 2020 season and finished the year with a 55-23 win in the Alamo Bowl.

The University of Texas at Austin released an official statement on its website Saturday morning.

“With our football season coming to a close, our vice president and athletics director, Chris Del Conte, has evaluated the UT program’s strengths and weaknesses and where the program is relative to our goals,” the statement said. “While we have made measured progress during the past several years under Tom Herman’s leadership, Chris has recommended to the university president, Jay Hartzell, that UT make a coaching change to get us on track to achieving our ambitious goals. President Hartzell and the chair of our Board of Regents, Kevin Eltife, concur with this recommendation and have approved the change.”

EDIT:  All of the above does not imply that Eltife is driving the decision.  The BOR has to sign off (or at least be informed) on the termination/payout of a highly compensated indivitual, which is typical in the business world, too.

For example, if a Fortune 500 CEO wanted to terminate a direct subordinate, it likely would require a payout.  In nearly all cases, the CEO will inform or consult with the board.

Edited by boilerhorn

Beard will kill it at Kentucky in a few years.  BBN already hates Calipari for seemingly choking the life out of their offense - now they can hire a guy who will choke the life out of their offense AND some crazy bitches. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi