Non-Americans rando thoughts on the US

Trey3216

When my family arrived in this country four months ago, we spoke no English and had no money in our pockets.  

Today, we own a nationwide chain of wheel-balancing centers.  

Where else but in America, or possibly Canada, could our family find such opportunity?  

That's why, whenever I see the Stars and Stripes, I will always be reminded of that wonderful word:  flag!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

just started reading, but to point #1...we had a French exchange student live with us for a while in 2017 and 2018, and she agreed. she'd traveled extensively thru pretty much all of Europe, much of Asia and South America... and she just raved about the food here, particularly in Texas. that girl would absolutely clean a plate of Mexican, bbq, a good cheeseburger, steak, anything i cooked... basically everything we fed her.

i was honestly surprised at how much she raved about the food here... but then we hung out with some other students from Norway and Sweden and they all said the same: 'America has the best food in the world!'

me: 'well that explains why we're all fat' 😄

anyways, i thought it was interesting, i would not have guessed that!

ETA lol holy shit like 80% of the responses have to do with food! 😂

also...the points about the different geography and regions... that was another point made by our French guest. she spent time in Texas, Boston, and San Diego... and she said it was like three completely different countries, the food, the climate,  the language (i.e. accents), the people... she said traveling in the US was almost as diverse as traveling around Europe. plus the size of everywhere. i thought that was fascinating, made me want to visit more of the US.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mchookem said:

just started reading, but to point #1...we had a French exchange student live with us for a while in 2017 and 2018, and she agreed. she'd traveled extensively thru pretty much all of Europe, much of Asia and South America... and she just raved about the food here, particularly in Texas. that girl would absolutely clean a plate of Mexican, bbq, a good cheeseburger, steak, anything i cooked... basically everything we fed her.

i was honestly surprised at how much she raved about the food here... but then we hung out with some other students from Norway and Sweden and they all said the same: 'America has the best food in the world!'

me: 'well that explains why we're all fat' 😄

anyways, i thought it was interesting, i would not have guessed that!

ETA lol holy shit like 80% of the responses have to do with food! 😂

also...the points about the different geography and regions... that was another point made by our French guest. she spent time in Texas, Boston, and San Diego... and she said it was like three completely different countries, the food, the climate,  the language (i.e. accents), the people... she said traveling in the US was almost as diverse as traveling around Europe. plus the size of everywhere. i thought that was fascinating, made me want to visit more of the US.

We spent November in Italy, December in Spain and now in Portugal for January. You don't know how much I miss food in Texas. After pizza and pasta everyday I was so excited to get to Spain. Then you get so sick of tapas. The variety in the US is just so great. Now the breakfasts over here sitting at a cafe eating a pastry or toast with coffee I will take any day over the big American breakfasts.

Looking to do two months in Mexico when we get back and I am fully going to test my theory that I can eat tacos every day, maybe every meal. We will see.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

We spent November in Italy, December in Spain and now in Portugal for January. You don't know how much I miss food in Texas. After pizza and pasta everyday I was so excited to get to Spain. Then you get so sick of tapas. The variety in the US is just so great. Now the breakfasts over here sitting at a cafe eating a pastry or toast with coffee I will take any day over the big American breakfasts.

Looking to do two months in Mexico when we get back and I am fully going to test my theory that I can eat tacos every day, maybe every meal. We will see.

The food in Europe is amazing - for whatever region you happen to be in. The quality tends to be better, they've been making it for a couple of thousand years, and there's nearly always a local wine or booze that goes perfectly with it. It's the diversity that's lacking compared to the US, even in the larger cities.

Portugal, for an example - insanely good breads and pastries, even at the supermarkets like Pingo Doce, great seafood, wine - and piri-piri chicken is hard to beat. (Can't wait to get back to Tavira for all of the above.) But good luck finding much from anywhere else of the level of variety and quality you can find in most American cities.

(Definitely agree with you as well re the breakfasts in Europe.)

• Hook 'Em 5

Best friend from childhood is about to come over. Lives in Houston, from El Salvador. Will never forget the first time I took him to a buccees. Dude just stared at all the ice cream and could not make up his mind what he wanted. Yeah, we were a bit high, but that made me laugh. 

Bosnian family I sponsored thought Austin's food was the best. I was a broke student but we went out to eat all the time. Burgers is what got his daughter hooked. 

In the US you can eat what you want almost anytime. Might not be the best, but it is available. Outside the US you eat what the locals eat and it will be damn good. 

Concerning Mexico and tacos. Yeah, I could eat tacos for 60 days straight. Shit, might have to go get some Mole/Chicken tacos for lunch. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

Turns out Po Elvis ain’t so po.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I have friends who use H2 workers from South Africa on their farms.  They can't believe Wal Mart.  You can buy food, a laptop and socks ALL IN THE SAME PLACE?!  One guy told me all he knew about Wal Mart was learned from South Park.  Apparently they get South Park on South Africa.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, po elvis said:

Son was in Spain for 2 years, including during Covid lockdown.  He loved the local foods, as you mentioned tapas; but also the (great) coffee everywhere.  He loved the breakfasts/ morning routine there.

When he came home to visit, it was straight to TexMex and traditional steakhouses.

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

“American” cuisine stacks up against anything the world has to offer.  Jambalaya, clam chowder, gumbo, Texas BBQ, Tex-Mex enchiladas, soul food, west coast seafood, American beef steak, chili, green chile enchiladas, cornbread, cioppino….These are our foods and they are as good and as authentically ours as anything the old world has to offer. 

Foreigners, especially from Europe, can’t conceptualize the size. I got married in the RGV and had a friend from Switzerland who came. He mentioned he was interested to see San Antonio. I explained I wouldn’t have time around the wedding but could help him plan for after if he wanted to stay and he said “can’t I just take a bicycle up there one day?”

Many Europeans appreciate our natural beauty more than we do. Europe has amazing scenery but we do not appreciate how much of our continent is still wild in a way that is gone on the old continent. Our National Parks are our American cathedrals and castles. 

That the US has been settled over the course of the last 200 years or so and still has vast swaths of uninhabited and largely unexplored/unutilized lands is a tremendous difference between us and Europe that is somewhat unappreciated by either of us and accounts for so many things.  Guns being one of them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This person gets it.... Making this distinction is important. Now I'm wondering if there is a word for shart in their native tongue

"The food: Peanut butter everything! Pumpkin spice everything! Fried chicken and waffles! Pancakes with bacon! General Tso's chicken! So much good BBQ! Mexican food! Taco Bell!"

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That the US has been settled over the course of the last 200 years or so and still has vast swaths of uninhabited and largely unexplored/unutilized lands is a tremendous difference between us and Europe that is somewhat unappreciated by either of us and accounts for so many things.  Guns being one of them.

And American Football.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Son was in Spain for 2 years, including during Covid lockdown.  He loved the local foods, as you mentioned tapas; but also the (great) coffee everywhere.  He loved the breakfasts/ morning routine there.

When he came home to visit, it was straight to TexMex and traditional steakhouses.

The coffee in Spain is delicious, cheap, and ubiquitous. Coffee shops, restaurants, bars, bakeries, candy stores, hotel buffets, ice cream shops — they all make a cup of coffee better than most high-end specialty shops here, at 1/4 the price. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

This is actually a really important and cool distinction that I spotted as a Texas outdoorsman. When traveling in Europe, I’d see a pretty stretch of river or a lake, and it struck me odd that I saw NOBODY fishing. Last year, we were with some German friends and I commented on it, and he explained 1) how hard it was to get a fishing license, and 2) one of the reasons for that is because the local river (for example) suffered from overfishing starting around the year 800.
When it comes to such resources, in many ways our land and waters are “virgin” in comparison. When I explained to him that if I was forced to obtain protein for my family just from the local waters, I could do so easily. At any decent bridge over a river here, you will see guys fishing for catfish etc, and taking some home. I can get a fishing license for $40 in 2 minutes, and if I live on the coast, probably 15 minutes later I can have my first fish and/or crabs in the bucket. As outdoorsmen, we take for granted our ease of fishing/hunting and our relative abundance.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, slorch said:

The coffee and breakfast is what I love best about traveling.  Nothing better than waking up and grabbing a great coffee and fresh baked pastry and enjoying the view.  It seems like every place I’ve ever been outside the US has a place right next door with great coffee and excellent pastries.  When I get home though the first breakfast is always breakfast tacos.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The coffee and breakfast is what I love best about traveling.  Nothing better than waking up and grabbing a great coffee and fresh baked pastry and enjoying the view.  It seems like every place I’ve ever been outside the US has a place right next door with great coffee and excellent pastries.  When I get home though the first breakfast is always breakfast tacos.

Same

Good call, we have similar thoughts.
A couple of years ago, we were in Berlin for several days. Across from our hotel was just a regular little cafe, run by a Croatian couple. By the third day, we were all familiar, communicated our orders in a mix of English and German, and felt like regulars. Sit on the patio, have a coffee and pastry, maybe some mett, and watch the city move. It’s a great way to immerse yourself in local life, even for a little bit.
I think that’s true here in the US as well, think of your favorite breakfast taco spots and their vibe and rhythm.

57 minutes ago, Chopper said:

"in NYC I found everyone to be friendly. Maybe I've just been fortunate, but the moment I ask directions with my Irish accent, I find myself chatting away with complete strangers."

o-rly010.gif

This is a bit precious but yes— lots of foreigners note that Americans are more chatty and open to strangers than others. Some like it, some don’t.  

The flip side of that, with Central and Eastern Europeans, is that if you get to a point where one calls you a “friend” then that relationship comes with a lot more trust (and expectations) than we have for anyone than our very, very closest friends. It’s not a word they use lightly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is a bit precious but yes— lots of foreigners note that Americans are more chatty and open to strangers than others. Some like it, some don’t.  

The flip side of that, with Central and Eastern Europeans, is that if you get to a point where one calls you a “friend” then that relationship comes with a lot more trust (and expectations) than we have for anyone than our very, very closest friends. It’s not a word they use lightly. 

...so swingers eh.  Got it.

• Haha 1

Agree. European food is delicious, but narrow and country specific. Meaning, I had some coq au vin in Paris and it was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten, but I’m not finding a great breakfast taco or pho there. In US, you can find any type of food, in any city, and it could be really good. Plus, the portions are stupid big. Which can be good or bad depending on your situation. 

53 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It's more of a statement about New York City women in particular imo and many other Americans, as well, who realllly like a man with an Irish, Aussie or English accent. I'm not going to speak for ROTW about what "they" think about American hospitality when they visit the US. I will say, having lived in a few different European countries, I was treated very well by the locals. I've also traveled somewhat extensively in other European countries, China and SE Asia, as well, and can't recall a negative personal encounter. Okay, it just hit me - there were a couple Russian gals who were less than polite.

The comment about being treated well by strangers in NYC and wondering if it was because of his Irish accent (lol), as well as the expressed love for Arby's fries, soda refills (fast food), cheap burgers (fast food), humongous portions for cheap prices (fast food), cereal, and other cheap food, make me believe the writer spoke with mostly a bunch of teens and 20-somethings to get the quotes. 

Here's what I would generalize. Europeans living on the continent, even Parisians, on average are much more pleasant than Londoners. There are biases within Europe (i.e. between British, Germans, Spanish, French and Italians) that impact their own treatment when they travel intra-Europe, and perhaps make travel in the US seem more attractive as a result. Younger people are exposed to American culture to a greater extent than their elders and have less of, or no, bias against the US; younger people are also more like to work in the service industry.

The two things the article mentions, and with which I agree, are our protected wilderness areas, plus the great diversity of different cuisines in most cities. As an aside, it has been theorized that the diversity of the SF Bay Area population in particular is what enabled this country to dominate international technology - by designing products that are compatible with many other cultures around the world. 

Working class English are absolute horrors to be around when traveling. Almost as bad as Russians. More and more Europeans are also just DONE with Chinese travelers. If you aren’t slinging luxury goods or part of the diaspora you don’t see any money from them.

But generally, anywhere you go— the farther from home and the costlier the destination, the better class of traveler. Americans on a Viking cruise are better than Americans pouring out of a carnival ship. Until you hit the Gulf prince/Russian magnate/Chinese factory owner class and then the asshole quotient is way off the charts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Working class English are absolute horrors to be around when traveling. Almost as bad as Russians. More and more Europeans are also just DONE with Chinese travelers. If you aren’t slinging luxury goods or part of the diaspora you don’t see any money from them.

But generally, anywhere you go— the farther from home and the costlier the destination, the better class of traveler. Americans on a Viking cruise are better than Americans pouring out of a carnival ship. Until you hit the Gulf prince/Russian magnate/Chinese factory owner class and then the asshole quotient is way off the charts. 

i once saw a two drunk english guys in greenwich nearly get into a fist fight in the middle of sunday afternoon. one uad his two year old daughter on his shoulders. 

sunday afternoon pub time in england is something. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Tips will touch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i once saw a two drunk english guys in greenwich nearly get into a fist fight in the middle of sunday afternoon. one uad his two year old daughter on his shoulders. 

sunday afternoon pub time in england is something. 

Its genuinely cool at noon in pubs to see grandpas and toddlers - basically the whole family - hanging out, in what we normally consider a “drinking place”

6 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It seems like every place I’ve ever been outside the US has a place right next door with great coffee and excellent pastries.

There are a lot of good things about Thailand, but coffee over there is absolute shit.  I think 99% of it is instant Nescafé or similar.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This is actually a really important and cool distinction that I spotted as a Texas outdoorsman. When traveling in Europe, I’d see a pretty stretch of river or a lake, and it struck me odd that I saw NOBODY fishing. Last year, we were with some German friends and I commented on it, and he explained 1) how hard it was to get a fishing license, and 2) one of the reasons for that is because the local river (for example) suffered from overfishing starting around the year 800.
When it comes to such resources, in many ways our land and waters are “virgin” in comparison. When I explained to him that if I was forced to obtain protein for my family just from the local waters, I could do so easily. At any decent bridge over a river here, you will see guys fishing for catfish etc, and taking some home. I can get a fishing license for $40 in 2 minutes, and if I live on the coast, probably 15 minutes later I can have my first fish and/or crabs in the bucket. As outdoorsmen, we take for granted our ease of fishing/hunting and our relative abundance.

One of the coolest things I’ve done while traveling was the time my Polish colleagues took me hunting. Stayed at some lodge out in the woods outside of Gdańsk.

Didn’t see shit. It was freezing. But we drank (maybe good) vodka after and ate some good Bialy Barszcz. Fairly certain the blunderbuss I was given would not fire anyway. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b97cea1fcdf5817b839bd9587a052f7d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

nothing worse than trying to figure out how to use a fucking bialetti before you’ve had a cup of coffee

12 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Many Europeans appreciate our natural beauty more than we do. Europe has amazing scenery but we do not appreciate how much of our continent is still wild in a way that is gone on the old continent. Our National Parks are our American cathedrals and castles. 

This is extraordinarily important.

“American” cuisine stacks up against anything the world has to offer.  Jambalaya, clam chowder, gumbo, Texas BBQ, Tex-Mex enchiladas, soul food, west coast seafood, American beef steak, chili, green chile enchiladas, cornbread, cioppino….These are our foods and they are as good and as authentically ours as anything the old world has to offer. 

Foreigners, especially from Europe, can’t conceptualize the size. I got married in the RGV and had a friend from Switzerland who came. He mentioned he was interested to see San Antonio. I explained I wouldn’t have time around the wedding but could help him plan for after if he wanted to stay and he said “can’t I just take a bicycle up there one day?”

My father had a professional acquaintance - German I think - who would regularly come over, rent a Harley, and wander the American west on holiday.

European cities generally beat American cities, especially once you get past America’s A game. But the west; the west is the crown jewel of this nation.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Agree. European food is delicious, but narrow and country specific. Meaning, I had some coq au vin in Paris and it was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten, but I’m not finding a great breakfast taco or pho there. In US, you can find any type of food, in any city, and it could be really good. Plus, the portions are stupid big. Which can be good or bad depending on your situation. 

Wait, there isn’t great Pho in Paris? I have only been to Paris once over 20 years ago, but considering France’s former colonies, it would seem they would have a few good Vietnamese restaurants.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My father had a professional acquaintance - German I think - who would regularly come over, rent a Harley, and wander the American west on holiday.

European cities generally beat American cities, especially once you get past America’s A game. But the west; the west is the crown jewel of this nation.

It is. And then there is the myth os of the American west, whether true or embellished, people are drawn to it. No matter the nationality.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Agreed re America's A cities vs Euros and the HUGE gap after, say, NY/Chi/Phil/SF/(Mia?)/Bos?).

But that road tripping / out west romanticism is some white people shit.

I say this as a white guy that had the best summer of my youth as a 16yo traipsing around Montana with a new driver license -- try leaving major metro areas as a nonwhite and, especially, a black person, and there ain't nothing romantic about it. Best case scenario is stares and the weight of otherness. Had my mind blown by this road tripping twice between Chicago and Austin with my (black) brother in law.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I went down the rabbit hole of retiring in Portgual again and was researching fly fishing, apparently they fish for mullet on the costal flats in the south. O_o

On 1/8/2023 at 12:15 PM, Neonmoon said:

Fwiw, just got back from Lisbon, Madrid, and Paris. At least in the big cities, I found the types of cuisines to be surprisingly diverse. While I can't speak to the quality, but for example across my hotel in Madrid was a boba tea shop and hot pot restaurant and both had long lines/crowds each night I walked passed it. And one of the best meals I had in Paris was at a Thai place specializing in crispy pork. 

Edited by YChang

51 minutes ago, YChang said:
Fwiw, just got back from Lisbon, Madrid, and Paris. At least in the big cities, I found the types of cuisines to be surprisingly diverse. While I can't speak to the quality, but for example across my hotel in Madrid was a boba tea shop and hot pot restaurant and both had long lines/crowds each night I walked passed it. And one of the best meals I had in Paris was at a Thai place specializing in crispy pork. 

I think it depends on the city (not all european countries have diversity).  AND, some of it is a more recent development; some cities that were pretty ethnically homogenous 25 years ago have a decent immigrant population now (where all your great other cuisines comes from).  Berlin, for example, is pretty damn diverse.  It's always had great Turkish/middle eastern, and good Vietnamese (since the wall fell, at least -- remember, a lot of Vietnamese were in E. Berlin back in the day, being friendly commie regimes and all).  But now, there's all kinds of great African food, different asian fare (Thai and Chinese), and even American grub (the boy still misses "Meister Burger" there).  But other places, even other German towns....not so much.
Paris has long had diverse cuisines (a dividend of being a colonial power; you could get good african/middle eastern grub there for a long time).  Oslo?  Not so much.  Although we did spot this place when we were there.....

e0ab31f743e9a7903ac214ffbb52729b.jpg

AF1QipOlIogpGtf9N2z9lQ_zf8Bc8uu7Z0yP6eSW

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think it depends on the city (not all european countries have diversity).  AND, some of it is a more recent development; some cities that were pretty ethnically homogenous 25 years ago have a decent immigrant population now (where all your great other cuisines comes from).  Berlin, for example, is pretty damn diverse.  It's always had great Turkish/middle eastern, and good Vietnamese (since the wall fell, at least -- remember, a lot of Vietnamese were in E. Berlin back in the day, being friendly commie regimes and all).  But now, there's all kinds of great African food, different asian fare (Thai and Chinese), and even American grub (the boy still misses "Meister Burger" there).  But other places, even other German towns....not so much.
Paris has long had diverse cuisines (a dividend of being a colonial power; you could get good african/middle eastern grub there for a long time).  Oslo?  Not so much.  Although we did spot this place when we were there.....

e0ab31f743e9a7903ac214ffbb52729b.jpg

I know I was pleasantly surprised! Big diff compared to even 4-ish years ago which was when I was last in Paris. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:47 PM, gmr548 said:

I had work colleagues from Spain - he was Catalan and she was Belgian - that spent their month-long holiday one year renting an RV and hitting up a bunch of national parks out west.

• Hook 'Em 1