Major FAA disruption—all U.S. departures on hold

Pancho

• Pancho changed the title to Major FAA disruption—all U.S. departures in hold
  • Pancho changed the title to Major FAA disruption—all U.S. departures on hold

Oh no the NOTAMS were down?  How could they tell?

image.thumb.png.757b84abb95ab5a98a9b918dcf4c44db.png

Obviously joking but just being an aviation fan I always find it humorous just how many NOTAMS there can be with extraneous information, just like every ATIS cautioning about bird activity near an airport.  If you don’t have Foreflight or a dispatch department, it’s gotta be a bitch to decode in busy airspace.  

https://www.flyingmag.com/why-notams-are-garbage/

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 1

I had to send a notice to the office in 30 Rock at 4:30 this morning when it first broke. Our shit is going to be major fooked. I know of at least 1500 people who were supposed to fly in/out of DFW today from all over the country. That's just our campus.

• Hook 'Em 2

Obviously joking but just being an aviation fan I always find it humorous just how many NOTAMS there can be with extraneous information, just like every ATIS cautioning about bird activity near an airport.  If you don’t have Foreflight or a dispatch department, it’s gotta be a bitch to decode in busy airspace.  

24dc5376a81c2bf8d382beac1dcdc34f.jpg
  • Haha 9

giphy.gif
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Didn’t realize it was that long. Still, it’s up & running now. So what, 75-80% back to normal by this afternoon?

Yeah, good question.  Looks like my flight took off about 1.5 hours late and then the connection to my next flight would have been razor thin which probably means my skis would not have made it onto the next plane so I opted to go a day later.  The way my itinerary was set up, I could do that without a major impact on what I had planned.  We'll see what happens tomorrow when a plague of locusts blocks airspace.

59 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

In 2021:  NOTAMs Now ‘Notices To Air Missions’

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/notams-now-notices-to-air-missions/

And in other coming news...

Unmanned Aircraft Systems will be Uncrewed Aircraft Systems going forward (ASTM F38 change to their bylaws).

Oh...and "cockpit" will be "flight deck" going forward.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Didn’t realize it was that long. Still, it’s up & running now. So what, 75-80% back to normal by this afternoon?

Not a fucking chance. An airplane that starts its day 2 hours late is going to finish it’s day tonight pretty close to the same 2 hours late. The days of making it up in the air or having airplanes scheduled to sit at the gate for several hours to be able to absorb things like this are long gone.  Schedules are built tight, generally speaking. They will swap a some airplanes around to get some flights to run on time, but generally the whole system will be jacked up until tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Not a fucking chance. An airplane that starts its day 2 hours late is going to finish it’s day tonight pretty close to the same 2 hours late. The days of making it up in the air or having airplanes scheduled to sit at the gate for several hours to be able to absorb things like this are long gone.  Schedules are built tight, generally speaking. They will swap a some airplanes around to get some flights to run on time, but generally the whole system will be jacked up until tomorrow.

I wouldn't doubt it's longer than that.  This also fucked up a lot of duty day times for available flight crews so it's not just aircraft placement and airport gate availability...