Somebody got a shitload of dimes

ButtFumble

18 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Google says $1,000,000 worth of dimes weigh slightly over 5000 lbs. I would look for the pick up with the frame bottomed out on the spring perches headed for the William J. Lapetomane tollway.

CHIEF

the weight is right, but his language is wrong - 1 million dimes = 5,000 pounds, while $1,000,000 in dimes is 50,000 lbs (I'm sure there needs to be a Yo Mamma so fat joke or something about South Austins Mom in this thread somewhere)

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm not sure you could pay me $100,000 to make the effort/time to launder a million fucking dimes.

1) Hit local vending machines.

2) Drop dimes in the slot and buy every last bag of

900.jpg

3) Set up a roadside Funyun stand, sell them for the price you paid at the vending machine

4) EVERY PENNY YOU MAKE IS PURE PROFIT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 2

33 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

the weight is right, but his language is wrong - 1 million dimes = 5,000 pounds, while $1,000,000 in dimes is 50,000 lbs (I'm sure there needs to be a Yo Mamma so fat joke or something about South Austins Mom in this thread somewhere)

Sorry, was busy peeling scrimps and didn't proofread.

CHIEF

32 minutes ago, TornACL said:

This is the worst Oceans Eleven sequel yet.

Only if they don’t get away with it…like how do you transport and then launder a buttload of dimes? if they knew it was all dimes and were prepared for this eventuality I hope they succeed. It’s fucking dimes. 

So apparently there were upwards of $750k worth of dimes just picked up from the mint and driver drops the trailer off in Walmart parking lot while he goes home to get some rest and leave early in the morning???

News quote from resident "it's crazy, people will steal anything". (Anything being well...actual money)

Shopping Gift GIF by Walmart

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

I don’t know if they’re marked, but coinstar people would probably notice really fast that their machines were counting an absurdly high number of dimes, and upon inspection, they would see that they’re all freshly minted. Wouldn’t take long to pull video footage

Yeah, you'd need to have a coin based business or be able to sell to someone who does to slowly dilute them in the normal stream.

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I don’t know if they’re marked, but coinstar people would probably notice really fast that their machines were counting an absurdly high number of dimes, and upon inspection, they would see that they’re all freshly minted. Wouldn’t take long to pull video footage

Would $200 a day in dimes really trigger any alarms?  Do those guys inspect their haul? 

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

1) Hit local vending machines.

2) Drop dimes in the slot and buy every last bag of

900.jpg

3) Set up a roadside Funyun stand, sell them for the price you paid at the vending machine

4) EVERY PENNY YOU MAKE IS PURE PROFIT!

Did you know Jim Albright?  Or his wife, Ducky?  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would $200 a day in dimes really trigger any alarms?  Do those guys inspect their haul? 

Maybe in a single day, no.   but the coin counters arent stupid.  if 99% of your change is dimes- which btw would be a massive, massive massive outlier considering that for everyone who has a change bowl, the largest portion of that change is made up in quarters (both in actual numbers and dollar wise).

So if a change machine in 1 transaction suddenly processed 2,000 dimes and only  like 50 other coins.   Its gonna throw up a fuckload of red flags.

I am not a coin machine expert, but I can just about guarantee that the machine keeps track of every single transaction and how many total coins are cashed in and what denomination they all were, along with what time the transaction started and how long it took (the coin company  would want this info to verify a machine isnt slow or having issues).

The feds would just request all those coin companies review their records, to provide a list of any transactions within say 1000 miles of Philly in which any transaction of more than $40 where more than 50% of the dollar amount were dimes.  It would probably be a super tiny number of transactions because as I already said above, more than half the value of a normal coin jar is quarters.

and nevermind about doing it one day... it would take 500 straight days of cashing in $200 worth to clear all 100k worth of dimes.

Edited by AUS-97HORN