Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Took the dogs for a walk around 7:45 this morning. Actually not an awful morning by Houston standards. Was overcast and a slight breeze. Made it a good 10 minutes in before I did any sweating, which is about 9 minutes and 30 seconds longer than usual lately.
High only supposed to reach 94 and may actually catch a passing shower coming up from the coast this afternoon.

It rained briefly this morning in our neighborhood (also Houston). Complete steam bath out there by 9:00am. Spent 15-20 mins spot cleaning and loading up the car and sweated right through my shirt.

Very pleasantly surprised to get a solid hour of rain in 77018 yesterday evening. Was coming home from dropping my wife off at IAH and it started dumping as soon as I exited Shepherd. Could hardly see the lane markers. Heavy downpour with street flooding for about 20 minutes and then another ~45 minutes of a moderate, soaking rain. 

Lawn certainly appreciated it, but my god is it swampy outside as a result this morning. 

Couple more days of typical July weather with some decent rain chances Wed-Fri, but looks like the heat dome will start reforming this weekend. Long range forecast from 7/9-19 is just day after day of 99 and sunny with miniscule rain chances. 

Out in west Texas we got rain for the second time in 6 months, hit 110 this past Tuesday, dry heat or not, it was cooking. A lot of swamp coolers around here, coworker has one. He couldn't get his house down below 85 lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

The commentary from you Colorado nerds is getting tiresome.  We get it, it’s not 110° up there.  Go start your own circle jerk thread and we’ll be sure to necrobump come eary November when there’s two feet of snow on the ground and the Buffs are off to a hot 1-7 start

My biggest issue with Colorado has always been the dryness. Love visiting, but always forget until I get there that I can't sleep at night because there is no damn humidity.

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

My biggest issue with Colorado has always been the dryness. Love visiting, but always forget until I get there that I can't sleep at night because there is no damn humidity.

Been going to Colorado every summer for the past six years.  Prefer driving because I enjoy the drive and like talking my fly fishing gear, cooler and other stuff.  Last 3 years I’ve taken a humidifier; it’s in the living room during the day and in the bedroom at night.  Makes the time in the Airbnb more enjoyable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It was like this in Wyoming. Took a couple months for bodies to adjust, but they did.  That doesn’t help short time visitors, but shouldn’t be a concern for anyone thinking of moving. 

15 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Everyone else has their forecast around 101 this weekend. Avery also had some really insane numbers (106-108) a week or two ago that didn't pan out. It's still going to be hot AF, but I dunno about 105.

image.png.71189b1d7267eceec05ed2f1028d401d.png

image.png.b59f03599db0116adf826a2e9aa9b83a.png

image.png.8d088b5cdeb107ad7182f6c1370d3050.png

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Everyone else has their forecast around 101 this weekend. Avery also had some really insane numbers (106-108) a week or two ago that didn't pan out. It's still going to be hot AF, but I dunno about 105.

Yeah he's a bit of a sensationalist cocksucker. 

• Haha 1

The commentary from you Colorado nerds is getting tiresome.  We get it, it’s not 110° up there.  Go start your own circle jerk thread and we’ll be sure to necrobump come eary November when there’s two feet of snow on the ground and the Buffs are off to a hot 1-7 start

Colorado’s nicer than Texas in November too but the point still stands

On 7/4/2023 at 12:41 AM, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Don’t get your forecasts from local TV mets (unless it’s Troy Kimmel)

The National Weather Service exists…even have their very own forecast office and a pretty sweet radar east of New Braunfels.

https://www.weather.gov/ewx/

or you can use forecast advisor to find out whats the most accurate where you live. here it is for 78713: https://www.forecastadvisor.com/Texas/Austin/78713/

image.thumb.png.4f8d075df36e3e5eaad31db0d6775cb1.png

image.thumb.png.dbb0203737f925fc9d6280803a0a947a.png

image.thumb.png.5c87ddb45c86059cf821c50fa68c604d.png

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

Hmm. Weather Channel is what I get on my phone. Here's what I have for this week.

Screenshot_20230705_075331_Weather.thumb.jpg.bcb6f15defa4e4450afb88f30cb619a7.jpg

So basically this is complete horseshit (granted - TWC forecast was maybe a couple degrees higher earlier in the week).

F0HWaMKXsAAVXxP.jpeg.9ab2fbbee39bbf8487d2d7c86c409e09.jpeg

Edited by ztejas

Yeah I've noticed pretty widespread over predicting of the temps from local sources.  June at ABIA doesn't seem as hot as they made it sound like it was going to be during that heatwave: https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/tx/austin/KAUS/date/2023-6

Obviously it was still miserable with the heat index, but they made it seem like it was going to be over 100 on a lot of those days from mid-month on 

34 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Death ridge returns this weekend/next week. Drier than last round.

Long range doesn't look much better for rain chances. Can we just skip ahead to October?

spacer.png

Workaholics Tight GIF - Workaholics Tight Butthole - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Death ridge returns this weekend/next week. Drier than last round.

Long range doesn't look much better for rain chances. Can we just skip ahead to October?

This death ridge is expected to be more elongated (that's what she said) than the last one.  While it will be hot, there should be some better chances at rain than last week.  That's not to say that it will rain, but there should be some 20% chance days for parts of Texas rather than the absolutely no chance of last month.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/extreme-heat-wave-bound-for-phoenix-and-southwest-could-be-worst-ever/ar-AA1dzj2j

The Southwest United States is about to endure a heat wave that could rank among its worst in history — both for its intensity and longevity.

The heat wave will affect much of Arizona and New Mexico and build into interior California, probably peaking during the second half of next week. The National Weather Service office in Phoenix says it will “rival some of the worst heat waves this area has ever seen.”

While it’s already excessively hot in the region, it will get significantly worse next week, and it’s unclear when the heat will ease. Computer models that project the weather 16 days into the future “do not show an end to this heat wave,” the Weather Service wrote in a discussion. “This should go down as one of the longest, if not the longest duration heat wave.”

Not Austin, but yeah, gonna be a fun summer all around.

5 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Phoenix?

40DFCE68-DA59-491E-B4A4-D730F1325C51.gif.bc5dd24c7753b40ee2ed7c8de48270c6.gif

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/08/world/extreme-global-temperature-heat-records-climate/index.html

The world is blasting through climate records as scientists sound the alarm: The likelihood is growing that 2023 could be the hottest year on record, and the climate crisis could be altering our weather in ways they don’t yet understand.

The world saw a series of hottest days on record this week

Average worldwide temperature on Thursday reached 17.23°C (63.01°F), with records already broken or tied three times this week. The previous record for average daily temperature was in mid-August 2016.

Last month, the world experienced its warmest June on record by a “substantial margin,” according to a report by the European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service.

Ocean heat has been off the charts, with surface temperatures last month reaching record levels for June. Parts of the North Atlantic have seen an “unprecedented” marine heat wave, with temperatures up to 5 degrees Celsius (9 degrees Fahrenheit) hotter than usual.

And in Antarctica, where temperatures are running well-above average for this time of year, sea ice plunged to record low levels, which scientists have linked to the warm waters off the Indian, Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.

The world is “walking into an uncharted territory,” Carlo Buontempo, the director of Copernicus, told CNN. “We have never seen anything like this in our life.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/10/world/eight-warmest-years-climate-copernicus-intl/index.html

The last eight years have been the eight warmest on record as the growing concentration of heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere pushes global temperatures toward a dangerous tipping point, a new report shows.

An analysis by the European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service published on Tuesday said that 2022 was the fifth-warmest year for the planet since records began. It also reported Europe recorded its warmest summer last year and its second warmest year overall, exceeded only by 2020.

Not gonna lie, it's an odd feeling.  Not as odd as I was feeling back in February/March 2020, but I'm not keen on the ocean heat or the temps in Antarctica, and having a hot June, and the Southwest having extreme heat for the next two weeks - agricultural and water issues galore for them, and I'm guessing we'll have grid problems here in Texas..

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If the next 25 years stays on the track that the previous 15 years have set, Texas will be unlivable by 2050

But on the bright side, maybe housing costs in Austin will finally become reasonable again.

Alonzo-mourning GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

the climate crisis could be altering our weather in ways they don’t yet understand.

This is the worst part for me.  I think we are going to start seeing stuff that we can't even comprehend yet.  I think we passed the tipping point several years back and it's all going to snowball.  Climate is going to make stuff like Covid or Ukraine look like child's play.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If the next 25 years stays on the track that the previous 15 years have set, Texas will be unlivable by 2050

In the future, Texans will have leather for skin, and 165 will be considered a nice spring day.