Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

The most obvious difference I noticed when I moved from the midwest to Austin wasn't the high temperatures, it was the fact that it was still blast furnace hot after the sun went down.  It's one thing to hit 105 F shortly after lunch.  It's another thing for it to still be 95 F when it's dark outside.  Jeezus, this place is relentless.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2023 at 6:00 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Due to low water pressure from over irrigation, the City is temporarily enacting and enforcing Stage 3 watering restrictions effective Friday through Monday, July 14-17. All outdoor watering is prohibited during this time. The City will decide early next week whether additional conservation steps are needed. 

email from Georgetown. We are way ahead of them, but I’m sure there are plenty of people like my neighbor that will disregard and continue to water 2x per day. They have a big, beautiful green lawn of st Augustine right now. 

At least you're not in Blanco

https://www.kxan.com/news/we-had-24-hours-of-water-left-city-of-blanco-bumps-up-to-stage-6-water-restrictions-after-supply-issues/

City of Blanco Mayor Mike Arnold said the city’s water reserves have refilled enough to serve the city for the next few days under current Stage 6 water restrictions. He attributes the tightened restrictions to maintenance issues the city’s water supplier is facing.

Friday, the city issued an emergency notice on its website about heightened water conservation efforts.

The restrictions prohibit all outdoor watering and industrial water use. Arnold said the Real Ale Brewing Company and Milam and Greene Distillery are two businesses the city asked to halt operations to conserve water.

He said the city’s own water plant which purifies water has been offline for renovations for more than a year. He stressed that even if the plant was operating, water would still be scarce given low lake levels. In the meantime, Blanco has been purchasing water from the Texas Water Company, formerly known as the Canyon Lake Water Service Company.

Arnold said he was told at 8 a.m. Friday by TWC that it’s tank of water for Blanco was near zero and the city’s other tanks would be depleted soon. “At one time, we had 24 hours of water left,” said Arnold.

Didn't realize this

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/ercot-issues-weather-watch-as-forecast-anticipates-extreme-high-temperatures/

On Friday, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued a Weather Watch beginning Sunday until Tuesday due to forecasted higher temperatures, higher electrical demand and the potential for lower reserves.

ERCOT said grid conditions were expected to be normal during the Weather Watch, but also said it would continue to monitor conditions closely and deploy all available tools to manage the grid.

someone vision GIF

On Thursday, ERCOT said it set a new unofficial July and all-time peak demand record of 81,406 MW; however, its 6-day Supply and Demand dashboard has shown the possibility of a new all-time peak demand record next week.

“There is currently enough capacity to meet forecasted demand. Last year, ERCOT set 11 new peak demand records, surpassing 80 GWs for the first time ever,” ERCOT said.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My mother lived most of her life in NOLA, Houston, and the RGV. She said the summer of 69 when she lived in DC stood out as miserable as hell.

There's no winning with you people. 

If you all think I'm above moving to DC for a summer just to spite all of you you're wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’m at 75 all day and night but sleep with a fan on me. 

When you say "fan" do you mean a cult member, or are you being sarcastic and it's somebody you're holding against their will, or is it somebody who genuinely likes you and thinks you're awesome?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

Y'all with your house in the 60s. WTF.  Do you have meat hanging from hooks?  I'm 77 day, 75 night.  Ceiling fan on high.  And I spent a decent amount of time outside so that the interior temperature feels pretty comfortable to me.

Yeah. I’m surprised by some of these numbers

9 hours ago, texasdago said:

Y'all with your house in the 60s. WTF.  Do you have meat hanging from hooks?  I'm 77 day, 75 night.  Ceiling fan on high.  And I spent a decent amount of time outside so that the interior temperature feels pretty comfortable to me.

My wife and I lived in upstate NY for about 4 years. In the winter we'd keep the house around 66 during the day and 54-60 at night.

But those were the best days of her life. Whoa, yeah.

Well….I was conceived that summer in DC, so…yeah, mom was havin’ a good time.

Then later that fall, Nixon tried to kill us both. While I was in utero, his motorcade whipped around a corner and blew through a light. Mom had to dive back onto the sidewalk to avoid being hit.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When you say "fan" do you mean a cult member, or are you being sarcastic and it's somebody you're holding against their will, or is it somebody who genuinely likes you and thinks you're awesome?

Depends. Weekend or weekday?

Just drove all around the city to get “out” today and it was pretty dead. Just too damn hot for everyone. Then I drove 360 and the boat ramp under the bridge is the busiest I’ve ever seen. Literally not a single place to park. Trucks and trailers were finagled up onto the grass hillsides by the bridge. 

I guess the lake is the only real option in this bullshit. 

5 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I'm pretty sure I get reverse seasonal affective disorder. This shit sucks.

When we lived in ATX, we’d spend week and a half in north County San Diego at the end of July every year.  I was always one depressed SOB getting back on the plane for the return flight to Austin each year.

I definitely recommend a trip out to Alpine if the monsoon season is strong.  It’s usually quite pleasant out there in late July and August when monsoon rains pop on in the afternoons. It’ll definitely help beat the blues.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

When we lived in ATX, we’d spend week and a half in north County San Diego at the end of July every year.  I was always one depressed SOB getting back on the plane for the return flight to Austin each year.

I definitely recommend a trip out to Alpine if the monsoon season is strong.  It’s usually quite pleasant out there in late July and August when monsoon rains pop on in the afternoons. It’ll definitely help beat the blues.

Heading out to Colorado Springs and Crested Butte in mid-August, so that will help.

• Like 1

Glad it's not just me then.  We got back from significant time in cooler environs earlier this week.  Usual 36 hours of travel lag, nothing serious.  Had multiple days of productivity, rest, and affirmation.  And since Friday, I have been a gloppy malaise of shit (IRL, not just in our little simulation here).  I don't know what the fuck it is, every summer I'm fucking hot.  Chorin' like a mother fucker all weekend (mostly inside), and I can't keep my eyes open and everybody in my house is annoying the shit outta me-including me.  I guess we all get SAD in middle-age, but this is day 3 and it's pretty acute and wife is certainly displaying symptoms of it.  We're gonna go jump in the pool in a couple hours, that should help.  I used to drink my way through shit like this in the summer to just fast forward through the not-so-fun times, but this back half of July fucking blows.  

I guess this is why Meth is so popular in the southern states come summer break?  

I got some seasonal winter depression for a few years. Mostly due to the shorter days. Beyond being burnt out with the heat by late August I still like the summer. Just feels like there's more time to do stuff. I'd rather it be 100 than 45. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I got some seasonal winter depression for a few years. Mostly due to the shorter days. Beyond being burnt out with the heat by late August I still like the summer. Just feels like there's more time to do stuff. I'd rather it be 100 than 45. 

I’ll take 45 over 100.  I’ll take 100 over 10 though.  I would rather sweat than shiver.

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah 45 is mild, especially in a dry climate with sunshine, it's barely long-sleeve weather. 

everybody's tolerance and preference is different... people are constantly asking me 'aren't you cold??', 'how can you not be cold outside??', 'don't you need a bigger jacket??' etc.

i always explain yes, i'm cold, yes i do feel cold...i just don't find being cool/cold that uncomfortable. my motor runs hot, always. cooler temps will always feel pleasant to me. and i can always put more clothes on.

now...red-faced, lightheaded from heat, sweat soaking my hair and running in my eyes and down my cleavage?? fucking suuuuuucks 😝

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

Welp, my outside unit just crapped out I think.  Before I drop some coin here, anyone have advice on what brand of unit to get or NOT to get?

Thx!

Definitely check the capacitor first. A whole lot cheaper of a fix than a new unit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Welp, my outside unit just crapped out I think.  Before I drop some coin here, anyone have advice on what brand of unit to get or NOT to get?

Thx!

Carrier .....get it

Edited by Hpara759