Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Summer SAD is actually a real-deal thing. And it’s definitely starting to get to me as I get older.

Jesus yea. I’m so unproductive, lazy, irritable and grouchy. Like basically from May to September. The heat drains me into a depression 

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

no idea but there are a LOT of swamp coolers in really nice, older neighborhoods... see them all the time just driving around the city. i would assume at a certain point in time all new construction starting including AC.

Our older house in old Littleton had a swamp cooler circa 2002/2003. Worked well except on the hottest of hot days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

Denver's under a Heat Advisory for tomorrow... expected high of 97. lulz.

So here’s the difference.  Houston at 10 pm feels like 96.  Denver’s current temp is 81 and feels like 79.  Dry heat.  

we battled the sun all day today here in oc. But when the sun dipped it’s down to 73

also Dcs heat index is 83.  

this is why Texans are tougher than the rest of the country.   No doubt.  Boy howdy

Edited by closetohumping

It’s like 73 degrees right now in Washington’s c with light humidity. Yes- it’s 6:30 in the morning and I’ve been walking since 5:30, but I’m dressed like this and there’s no time this ever wouldn’t be miserable as hell in houston. Today has been pleasant so far. Was out in slacks and button down yesterday and though warm and unpleasant it wasn’t melt my face make me question every life decision like Htown. It’s not even close for those arguing before. IMG_0614.thumb.jpeg.0752e54de1279cf6cab0d37d2c407651.jpeg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s like 73 degrees right now in Washington’s c with light humidity. Yes- it’s 6:30 in the morning and I’ve been walking since 5:30, but I’m dressed like this and there’s no time this ever wouldn’t be miserable as hell in houston. Today has been pleasant so far. Was out in slacks and button down yesterday and though warm and unpleasant it wasn’t melt my face make me question every life decision like Htown. It’s not even close for those arguing before. IMG_0614.thumb.jpeg.0752e54de1279cf6cab0d37d2c407651.jpeg

Houston’s heat index is 88 already

• Rage+1 1

Got dropped off at the wrong hotel and walked the extra 1.5 miles to my place. Finally broke a sweat at about 8:00 am after doing 3.1 or 3.2 miles. I’d have rather Whit myself than do that from 5:30-630 and 7:30-8:15 in houston. It’s just not in the same galaxy. Whoever said it is is wrong and their opinions are terrible as it relates to how awful houston weather is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Got dropped off at the wrong hotel and walked the extra 1.5 miles to my place. Finally broke a sweat at about 8:00 am after doing 3.1 or 3.2 miles. I’d have rather Whit myself than do that from 5:30-630 and 7:30-8:15 in houston. It’s just not in the same galaxy. Whoever said it is is wrong and their opinions are terrible as it relates to how awful houston weather is. 

JMO.  A couple of reasons:

1. when you're in DC, you're far more exposed to the heat.  You're walking a lot, taking public transportation.  You're not jumping in your car that's parked in your garage and driving to HEB or work.  In Texas, you're just not outdoors as much.  

2. Pride. I think a lot of Texans are tired of people pointing out the heat as if it's a bad thing.  Unrelated, but some Texans aren't happy when you say it's "affordable."  It's almost a prestige thing.  

I've heard some say NYC summers are worse than Texas summers.  Nope.

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nailed it... my 5 weeks in DC were spent wearing a suit.  It sucked.  

Went to water the plants outside this morning and it was a surprising 75.  I guess that makes up for the 106 or whatever its supposed to be today.

20 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

I'm pretty sure I get reverse seasonal affective disorder. This shit sucks.

73/71 here. If it were entirely up to me, I'd bump the daytime temp up to 75

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Summer SAD is actually a real-deal thing. And it’s definitely starting to get to me as I get older.

20 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This is no lie.  I can tell my overall productivity in everything goes to absolute shit from late June through September.

My wife gets it really bad.  Like, I'm actually concerned it is affecting my marriage.  Other factors as well, but this shit just amplifies every emotion and every fight.  It's not fun.  I really think we need to move.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

How the fuck did I catch a cold when it’s been 108 every day for the last week?

I get one every summer around this time.  Mine is finally starting to wane after 2 weeks of shitty sleep and coughing up mucus.   

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I have a 3 year old in daycare. Since they have been having to take shorter breaks outside due to the heat, every single sickness that can be passed around has. I'm currently coughing up huge chunks of mucus, and doing everything I can to stave off Bronchitis. 

Was at the doc Friday to rule out Vid/Flu/Strep, and he claimed pretty much everything is blowing up due to people staying inside to avoid the heat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

I play golf every Thursday and Sunday and we haven't cancelled a round yet. There were some that were pretty spicy, but overall, it's not too bad.

I keep a cold wet towel on my neck in between shots and remain vigilant about hydrating and staying in shade any time possible and it all seems to work out.

I will say my average scores have ticked up in the heat but I can't make a 100% correlation on that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, South Austin said:

How the fuck did I catch a cold when it’s been 108 every day for the last week?

I had a cold last week as well.  Pounded Nyquil and water, went through 3 boxes of tissue, and racked out for the better part of 48 hours.  Weird, but I guess germs are everywhere, percolating in this heat just waiting for your grubby little hands to come along.

21 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I play golf every Thursday and Sunday and we haven't cancelled a round yet. There were some that were pretty spicy, but overall, it's not too bad.

I keep a cold wet towel on my neck in between shots and remain vigilant about hydrating and staying in shade any time possible and it all seems to work out.

I will say my average scores have ticked up in the heat but I can't make a 100% correlation on that.

Had lunch at the new PGA headquarters north of Frisco yesterday.  The boys HS national invitational was kicking off.  They'll play through Thursday.  After all the rain, and heat heading back into triple digits those kids have got to be miserable.  Layer on that the course is supposed to be a MF'er, it's going to be a kick in the nuts, even with carts.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Caught a doctor on one of the morning news programs earlier talking about Summer SAD. It's apparently quite real, but kind of the opposite of the Winter version. Instead of sleeping in and feeling mopey, people with Summer SAD get irritable and don't sleep well. 

She talked about how a lot of it is frustration with being stuck inside even though it's sunny outside. You feel like you should be doing something outdoors. Also, social media doesn't help. You're stuck at work and there's a heat index of 110 outside and your feed is just non-stop pictures of people you know on vacation in more hospitable climates. 

I can understand. I practically had to force myself to head outside and knock out a couple chores and then jump in the pool to cool off yesterday just so I wouldn't feel like I wasted my entire Sunday. But I didn't really want to do those things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

She talked about how a lot of it is frustration with being stuck inside even though it's sunny outside. You feel like you should be doing something outdoors. Also, social media doesn't help. You're stuck at work and there's a heat index of 110 outside and your feed is just non-stop pictures of people you know on vacation in more hospitable climates. 

For me, especially right now when I have no job, this is exactly it.  I want to be outside and I can't be.  I walk the dogs in the morning before it gets brutal, but by 10am, it's inside all day.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My boss is in DC and she was talking last week about how it is the time of year where it's just uncomfortably hot/humid and you don't want to go outside. I looked up their weather and it's been mid-80's to low 90's. Couldn't help but laugh, but also died inside.

I've been to DC several times; it is hot and humid in the summer, you don't exactly want to be outside all day but generally still livable. Although I was there during a legit 100 degree heat wave a few years ago and that was not great, Bob.  And I'm sure 20-30 years from now it'll be averaging temps in the 90's with lots of humidity during peak summer, basically what we think of as the "normal" baseline for Houston. 

Suffice to say, no, not really comparable at all. DC can catch a few days a year of what Houston/Texas gets for months on end.

• Hook 'Em 1

Still 3 weeks to go before we hit "peak summer." Kill me.

climate-normals-1536x1187.jpg

2nd week of August is historically when daily high temps start to sloooowly average down for most folks in Texas. But that's only like 1 degree every 10 days. Things don't really pick up much steam until mid to late September, when the average high starts dropping a degree roughly every 4 days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mchookem said:

weird...i would have bet August and September were the hottest months. but maybe that's clouded by all the times i had to spend the entire second half of 2pm games under the stands with 5,000 others bc we all had heat stroke 😝

August, July, June, September in that order. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Still 3 weeks to go before we hit "peak summer." Kill me.

climate-normals-1536x1187.jpg

2nd week of August is historically when daily high temps start to sloooowly average down for most folks in Texas. But that's only like 1 degree every 10 days. Things don't really pick up much steam until mid to late September, when the average high starts dropping a degree roughly every 4 days.

+ rep this is a great map.  I had no idea temperature peaks vary as much as they do across the country.

• Hook 'Em 1