Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

How's it going fellas?

WEEK 2 OUT: Cool 70 this am when I went for a swim in 60 degree local waters. Surf the AM; mountain bike the PM. Surf is flat this week; so mountain biking, fishing and snorkeling. Two more weeks away from Satan's butthole hot ass Texas. Best summer ever.

• Fuck You 3

Austin Mabry climate graph of this year. You can see how May, which seemed amazing, was simply 'normal' followed by an insane second half of June through today.:

Climate graph for KATT in 2023

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/lcra-requests-water-conservation-efforts-as-lake-levels-dip/

John Hofmann, LCRA’s executive vice president of water, said in a release Monday the triple-digit temperatures paired with the region’s dry conditions are impacting lake levels and supplies.

“With very little water flowing into the lakes and a ‘heat dome’ roasting our area since early June, lake levels are decreasing as significant amounts of water evaporate or are used on landscaping in the region. We all need to step up and do our part to conserve,” Hofmann said in the release.

Currently, LCRA is in Stage 1 of its drought contingency plan. The authority has requested its firm customers — mainly comprising municipalities, water districts and industries — to lower water uses by 5%.

Both Lakes Buchanan and Travis serve as water supply reservoirs and provide water for more than 1.4 million Texans, businesses, industries and the environment, the release said. Currently, combined storage in both lakes is at approximately 953,500 acre-feet — or, as LCRA officials said, about 49% of total capacity.

With combined storage projected to fall to 45% of capacity by mid-August, LCRA officials are poised to move to Stage 2 of its drought contingency plan. A Stage 2 designation will result in LCRA asking its firm customers to “implement mandatory drought response measures, with a target of reducing water use by 10-20%.”

“Our water supply is stressed but still in OK shape,” Hofmann said in the release. “It’s in our entire region’s interest to slow down water consumption because everything we do now will help prolong and protect our water supply. We are getting close to the next trigger in our drought contingency plan and customers soon will be implementing additional drought response measures. But no one should wait for restrictions to be put in place to stop wasting water.’’

Everybody relax and take it easy, maybe don't water your lawns so much, whether they die in July or August doesn't matter.

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/lcra-requests-water-conservation-efforts-as-lake-levels-dip/

Everybody relax and take it easy, maybe don't water your lawns so much, whether they die in July or August doesn't matter.

We lose 6.5 billion gallons (20k acre ft) to leaky pipes in Austin every year. 

22 minutes ago, sidis said:

i get so confused sometimes if zepol is really mexican.

on the one hand, name is richard.  on the other hand, he has a verizon phone with only 50% battery.  on the other hand, he apparently spends half the year in alaska.  yet, on the other hand, he actually likes the dallas cowboys.  seems like a tossup.

He posted some fideo he made once in the Steel Shank thread so I can vouch for his bonafides. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, sidis said:

i get so confused sometimes if zepol is really mexican.

on the one hand, name is richard.  on the other hand, he has a verizon phone with only 50% battery.  on the other hand, he apparently spends half the year in alaska.  yet, on the other hand, he actually likes the dallas cowboys.  seems like a tossup.

My name is not Richard haha that was a coworker's phone that lives here in PHX. 

I've never seen a more unflinching forecast. Since catching a couple days of rain back around the 4th, every day for the past 3 weeks has basically been identical, and the 15-day forecast is just more of the same. ~100/80 with slim rain chances, high humidity, and lots of sun.

This summer is definitely set to overtake last year in terms of misery. Last July was awful with daily temps well over average, but temps and rain chances started reverting back closer to normal the final weekend, and were pretty close to average in August.

At least for now, doesn't look like there will be any hint of improvement through 8/10. 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  All the water is baked out of the ground as well so the humidity has been much more manageable.  

I've noticed that, but the uptick in our neighborhood mosquito issue has been getting paradoxically worse.  

Welp, seems like a number of dipshit homeowners don't notice that just because it hasn't rained, doesn't mean standing water doesn't still accumulate in your table covers, planters/pots, kids toys, watering cans left outside...all being slowly filled by your errant sprinkler heads because you're too lazy or incompetent to adjust them.  Holy shit, whenever we go on a walk, 1/3rd of the houses have some sprinkler just going right into a set of flower pots that don't drain.  

Anyway, humidity being a tad lower has been nice.  But overall temps at dawn and after dark are still just such bullshit.  And the two pools we use are 90 degrees.  When trying to not think about the human bacteria hottub in there, I think "at least it's not the Florida coast where water temps are now literally 100 degrees" which is largely apocalyptic.

Don't like the Texas weather? Just wait a couple of hours, days, weeks, months, it'll change.

The weather sucks, but the monotony of it all is on another level. It's been, what, 45 days since we've had area-wide rain? 

44 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Those water temps are scary, End of Days shit. If the ocean currents get weird and/or the marine ecosystem crashes it's game over, man.

Our kids are fucked.   2050s (or earlier) the currents will get weird.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-39810-w

Who am I kidding, it should not be a 100 fucking degree water off the coast of Florida.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Our kids are fucked.   2050s (or earlier) the currents will get weird.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-39810-w

Who am I kidding, it should not be a 100 fucking degree water off the coast of Florida.

If you want to know what "apocalyptic shit" looks like.....that's it.

We're in deep fucking trouble.

And a huge swath, including people in power, claim it's all a hoax.  I just don't fucking get it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And a huge swath, including people in power, claim it's all a hoax.  I just don't fucking get it.

I just think it's our path.  We aren't collectively smart enough to fix it now.  Gaia don't give a fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

If, 50 or 100 years from now, there are fragmented remnants of humanity still eking out an existence in the After Times, I hope they build shittoriums where they defecate on monuments/effigies/pictures of all the people in power who let it happen--no, more like actively worked to ensure that it happened.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Those water temps are scary, End of Days shit. If the ocean currents get weird and/or the marine ecosystem crashes it's game over, man.

Earth is what? 71% covered in water? we should be fine.

15 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I think there is a shot at the record 

image.thumb.png.2e160fc0f400109970342808172f4ab2.png

if we can just get over this "cooling period" we have a chance.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The answer to all of your questions is money...............always.

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

It looks like the blast furnace is going back up a notch next week going by the wunderground 10 day.

I wish PHDHorn was around to share some insight into what's going on. I'm hearing that it's a confluence of factors, including a jet stream that's not moving so the high just sits over us. Would like some more detail.