Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Supposedly the long, snowy winters of the north make people depressed. Well this shit just makes me angry. I’m furious.

You can drink and watch sports, and if you're really far north, you can ice fish and drink, where you're in a little shack on the ice, with a heater, internet, TV, etc.

When I  was a kid and we lived up north for a few years, a whole lot of men had their little ice fishing shacks they'd haul out on the ice, and had generators to run the TVs and they'd just spend the whole day drinking and watching sports.  Internet access adds a whole new dimension, so you can drink, watch sports, and shit post on the internet. And occasionally catch fish.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I knew a guy in college that could do this.  Craziest shit I've ever seen.

You knew me?

Ok, I couldn’t do it quite that fast, but there was a period where I would chug a pitcher on my own to lay down a base coat for the evening festivities.

Man. I was a really good drinker for a while there.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You can drink and watch sports, and if you're really far north, you can ice fish and drink, where you're in a little shack on the ice, with a heater, internet, TV, etc.

When I  was a kid and we lived up north for a few years, a whole lot of men had their little ice fishing shacks they'd haul out on the ice, and had generators to run the TVs and they'd just spend the whole day drinking and watching sports.  Internet access adds a whole new dimension, so you can drink, watch sports, and shit post on the internet. And occasionally catch fish.

Whenever I hear people say “you don’t have to shovel heat” this is my counterpoint. Yes, getting cold sucks. But you can wear a jacket or 3, bring a space heater, build a campfire, etc. and still enjoy a full day outdoors. When it’s hot as shit there is literally nothing you can do besides stay inside.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Whenever I hear people say “you don’t have to shovel heat” this is my counterpoint. Yes, getting cold sucks. But you can wear a jacket or 3, bring a space heater, build a campfire, etc. and still enjoy a full day outdoors. When it’s hot as shit there is literally nothing you can do besides stay inside.

Yep and I’m starting to lose my shit. 

hey fam how we doing? hello from winter. nicest, warmest winter i've had down here. thank you Mr Nino. 

i really enjoyed my time in ATX when I was there this June I was in the ATX in June. holy hell. 

was gonna wish you homies a good no nuke friday but uh, looks like I am too late. has anyone tried the lovely concoction of tequila, lime, orange and salt? i guess you need ice. do you still have access to ice? 

I can go to the river. I can drink water. I can drink beer. 

Froze my ass off in New England, Bosnia and Afghanistan. Also wore armor in two of those places. Camped in NM in March at 9 degrees. Fuck that. 

Today took a six pack to the river, collected plants and I was fine. Will do it again tomorrow. My partner is out in East Texas counting gators. She can handle it. Just give me some damn rain. 

One piece of advice. Change your diet. Eat more fruit and veggies and lay off the fatty foods. 

27 minutes ago, staboner said:

hey fam how we doing? hello from winter. nicest, warmest winter i've had down here. thank you Mr Nino. 

i really enjoyed my time in ATX when I was there this June I was in the ATX in June. holy hell. 

was gonna wish you homies a good no nuke friday but uh, looks like I am too late. has anyone tried the lovely concoction of tequila, lime, orange and salt? i guess you need ice. do you still have access to ice? 

Nah, Elon sold it to the eskimos. Thanks for asking. 

Big difference in cold around the country. Best is high desert like Colorado. 15 in the dry cold of Denver isnt as cold as 44 and rain in fucking Portland. Or the wet sloppy 4 below in Des Moines.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

My best friend in college could crack open a beer at the beginning of 'Enter Sandman' and have 8 beers finished before the end of the song.  Not as impressive as the above gif, but a real talent all the same.

I won $300 off a few guys one time when I bet them I could kill 4 16 oz cans  in 1 minute. ( no shotgunning) 

had the first 3 done in less than 30 seconds and casually “sipped” on the last one as they were angrily pulling Ben’s out of their wallets.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 3

I’ve lived in a bitterly cold climate where the golf courses close in October and open again in May (mid April if you are lucky). I can assure you there are far more people outside in Texas in the
Summer than there are up there in the winter. The ground is frozen and snow covered. Winds howling at 30 mph are not uncommon. It’s cold as fuck. So cold your snot freezes when a front pushes through.

Fuck that. I’ll still take the heat. Just barely though.

So cal has nice weather. Everywhere else is shit. Stop complaining.

On 8/4/2023 at 12:24 PM, Storm the Field said:

Current long-range forecasts for Houston area have the next 9-10 days being absolute scorching hell, but they're hitting the hopium hard for the 3rd week of August.

Current long-range forecasts have Houston area have the next 7-8 days being absolute scorching hell, but they're hitting the hopium hard for the 4th week of August. 

• Rage+1 1

Wife and I were watching Maui footage as she has an old friend who is there working as a nurse (very needed right now obviously).  Then I get an email alert that Mars has begun speeding up its rotation for some reason, enough that multiple antennae and satellites (including one that we share with the Navy and USAF) have measured it.  We are going to use that same satellite to measure how bad this heat has charred coastal reefs in our region.  

I am getting the impression our solar system is annoyed.  

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Blastfunace vs snowmageddon

Which was worse?  Ill take the heat over no power for a week and single digit temps. 

This is way fucking worse. Give me a break. I think we didn't have power or water for like 72 hours ish during snowmageddon. I was living with a few buddies and we just hung out and played cards and fucked around in the snow. Sure we were more fortunate than some others but very few people were out of water or power for any longer than we were. 

The human body is much better equipped to handle 10-20 degrees than 107 degrees assuming you are properly layered. I can't make it 2 hours in the sun right now without sweating out a dangerous amount of water. 

And it's been 105+ for what, 3-4 weeks now? 

Edited by ztejas

15 hours ago, texasdago said:

Watching my son's marching band perform for the families.  Crisp 104 right now.

I drove by Anderson high school Thursday about 3 pm in the afternoon and the band was outside practicing on the parking lot.  That’s got to be child abuse.  

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is way fucking worse. Give me a break. I think we didn't have power or water for like 72 hours ish during snowmageddon. I was living with a few buddies and we just hung out and played cards and fucked around in the snow. Sure we were more fortunate than some others but very few people were out of water or power for any longer than we were. 

The human body is much better equipped to handle 10-20 degrees than 107 degrees assuming you are properly layered. I can't make it 2 hours in the sun right now without sweating out a dangerous amount of water. 

And it's been 105+ for what, 3-4 weeks now? 

3 weeks? Where do you live, Saskatoon?  We're coming up on two months over 100.  I don't get the Texas fascination with "Triple Digits."  With this lack of precip, every single moment over 90-95 degrees is dangerous.  Not picking on you, but look at us...we're all shifting the goalposts to keep up the bullshit illusion.  "Well, yes, it's been 68 days over 90 degrees, but only 37 days over 105 degrees."  That doesn't fucking matter with no cloud cover, and hence no rain, and no respite at night.  Brush fires in Cedar Park don't go, "Oh wait, it's only 99...we'll hang back then until it hits 101."  95 or 105, at these dryness levels is one thing.  But 2-3 months of it is something we may not come back from.  And for the last 20-25 summers, to have 15 summers like this...is unsustainable.  Days over 95 degrees became "Triple Digit Days" which is now 105 degree days on a counter. By the end of this decade we'll shift to "Only 37 days over 110*" like they're already doing in Arizona.  Half of Maui burst into flames.  It's actually too hot in the Gulf to make hurricanes, the water is too hot.  But we had an ice age 50,000 years ago?  But the Earth is only 7,000 years old.  Fucking imbecilic children is what we are.  We cling to a proven but ancient ice age to comfort ourselves while we pray to Jeff, the God of Biscuits and Condenser Units.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

3 weeks? Where do you live, Saskatoon?  We're coming up on two months over 100.  I don't get the Texas fascination with "Triple Digits."  With this lack of precip, every single moment over 90-95 degrees is dangerous.  Not picking on you, but look at us...we're all shifting the goalposts to keep up the bullshit illusion.  "Well, yes, it's been 68 days over 90 degrees, but only 37 days over 105 degrees."  That doesn't fucking matter with no cloud cover, and hence no rain, and no respite at night.  Brush fires in Cedar Park don't go, "Oh wait, it's only 99...we'll hang back then until it hits 101."  95 or 105, at these dryness levels is one thing.  But 2-3 months of it is something we may not come back from.  And for the last 20-25 summers, to have 15 summers like this...is unsustainable.  Days over 95 degrees became "Triple Digit Days" which is now 105 degree days on a counter. By the end of this decade we'll shift to "Only 37 days over 110*" like they're already doing in Arizona.  Half of Maui burst into flames.  It's actually too hot in the Gulf to make hurricanes, the water is too hot.  But we had an ice age 50,000 years ago?  But the Earth is only 7,000 years old.  Fucking imbecilic children is what we are.  We cling to a proven but ancient ice age to comfort ourselves while we pray to Jeff, the God of Biscuits and Condenser Units.

I can do high 90s or 100. 105-107 for weeks on end is different. Hence why I made that the cutoff. It's also much worse for drought conditions and fire danger for it to be 105 vs. 95. 

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah, the difference is there on a one-off or one-month basis.  My point was just that after 60 days of no precip, and 95*+...we're open to all kinds of fuckery.  A particular day or even week of 95 v. 105 is a big difference.  But once you're so many weeks in to shit like this, you're just kindling that doesn't know it's on fire yet.  And then the macro problem becomes year over year over year over year.  There's still piles of broken brush from last winter in my area just sitting in piles waiting to burst into flames.  Of course the HOA guy's rationale is "Well, it's on our list.  But it fell off from ice a few months back so it shouldn't be an immediate threat."  

Yeah, something tells me maybe the ice could have possibly thawed by now and maybe it's just a pile of hot sticks.  Just an alarmist theory  I have...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

I've had to adjust my long held rule of not starting my yard on Saturdays until after 8 for the sake of annoying the neighbors. In over 15 years of owning a home I never mowed before 8.

Today I had to get out there a bit before 7:30.

What could possibly be green and growing to mow at this point?

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, EastHorn said:

As someone who lives in this area that is an accurate description.  Chapel Hill is nice though.  

So no on Raleigh, yes on Chapel Hill? I'm not living in fucking Dallas.

It's summer, it's fucking hot as hell, we've done this shit before and we'll do it again and we'll have summers when it never hits 100 like just 2 years ago here in Bryan. Hell we almost made it 700 straight days under 100. Fuck the cold, I lost several mature trees to that shit 2 years ago, this shit ain't killing  the trees. 

12 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

It's summer, it's fucking hot as hell, we've done this shit before and we'll do it again and we'll have summers when it never hits 100 like just 2 years ago here in Bryan. Hell we almost made it 700 straight days under 100. Fuck the cold, I lost several mature trees to that shit 2 years ago, this shit ain't killing  the trees. 

Not in Texas but cacti are dying in Arizona.  

https://www.mensjournal.com/news/saguaro-cacti-dying-arizona-heat-wave

Fuck this. 

I was in Greater Phoenix last week. 

I always thought 'it's a dry heat' was a cop out... Then I noticed I wasn't soaking wet and I only felt real hot directly on the sun. 

But not in Houston... Soaking fucking wet from walking from the truck to the house at 8am.

Is hot. It's humid. I fucking hate these summers. I should have been a global distributor of fine natcotics, or books, or whatever I could have done 25 years ago to be a billionaire today, so I could have multiple residencies around the world and avoid shitty weather altogether. 

The only thing acceptable about August in Texas is that it's the start of football season.

F this heat and humidity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

Fuck this. 

I was in Greater Phoenix last week. 

I always thought 'it's a dry heat' was a cop out... Then I noticed I wasn't soaking wet and I only felt real hot directly on the sun. 

But not in Houston... Soaking fucking wet from walking from the truck to the house at 8am.

Is hot. It's humid. I fucking hate these summers. I should have been a global distributor of fine natcotics, or books, or whatever I could have done 25 years ago to be a billionaire today, so I could have multiple residencies around the world and avoid shitty weather altogether. 

The only thing acceptable about August in Texas is that it's the start of football season.

F this heat and humidity. 

Yea, I have been in Tempe quite a bit this summer, it is a hot bitch in the summer but in the shade, it feels so much cooler with just a slight breeze, definitely a difference. Not looking forward to going back to Dallas from SoCal Sunday then heading to sweaty ballsack Tampa. Fuck

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Yeah, but...you ain't shoveling!

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You knew me?

Ok, I couldn’t do it quite that fast, but there was a period where I would chug a pitcher on my own to lay down a base coat for the evening festivities.

Man. I was a really good drinker for a while there.

Not me - the last time I was in the New Orleans Club on Red River around 1965 or ‘66 listening to Blind George playing the piano, I puked under our group’s table. 
That got us all kicked out, but I did tip George a fin on my way out.

4 hours ago, hookem48 said:

No, you literally haven’t. It’s the hottest July on record. 

• Hook 'Em 6

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I’ve lived in a bitterly cold climate where the golf courses close in October and open again in May (mid April if you are lucky). I can assure you there are far more people outside in Texas in the
Summer than there are up there in the winter. The ground is frozen and snow covered. Winds howling at 30 mph are not uncommon. It’s cold as fuck. So cold your snot freezes when a front pushes through.

I lived in North Dakota for a few years, when we had multiple months in a row below freezing (and even a stretch of a few months below 0), and where there are normally 50-60 days below 0 degrees even in a "mild". I would not trade the Austin summers for that shit (plus if you live in ND, you're foolish unless you have an O&G job paying a shit ton).  As a kid, I still got out and played - our school would send us out the door to recess unless it was 0 or below.  People adjusted (adults with alcohol).  But I still wouldn't do it.  Oh, and there was shit for snow - I think we normally like 15-16 inches of precipitation total for the year in our part of the state.

But I would happily trade Austin summers for New England winters, where the kids can get out and sled, and where we can go skiing, or hop on a train on the weekends and go up or down the coast, and where there is plenty of shit to do in general, indoor or outdoor.  Yeah, they get their blizzards, but I can fucking shovel that shit out of the way and be on my way.  Or even the Pacific/Northwest.

As I said, if I didn't have kids, I wouldn't care as much, but it has been a beating the past few years, and we don't have the money to spend several thousand on them doing week-long camps all summer.

Not Today No GIF by Progressive

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Oh look, another one!

• Haha 2

Trees die when they burn to the ground.

• Hook 'Em 1

Uh, say what?

https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2012/09/25/the-final-numbers-are-in-over-300-million-trees-killed-by-the-texas-drought/#:~:text=That falls right in the,been killed by the drought.

"That falls right in the middle of a December 2011 estimate by the service that between 100 and 500 million trees had been killed by the drought."

• Rage+1 1

Got three trees on the property in rough shape. Pecan never leafed out and I fear it is a goner. I water them once a week (drip method) and no luck. Never lost a tree at my farm from 2000-2015. Damn I love these trees, but probably going to have to remove the Pecan. Provides most of the shade to the Southwest side of the house. 

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Got three trees on the property in rough shape. Pecan never leafed out and I fear it is a goner. I water them once a week (drip method) and no luck. Never lost a tree at my farm from 2000-2015. Damn I love these trees, but probably going to have to remove the Pecan. Provides most of the shade to the Southwest side of the house. 

What are you talking about. The heat doesn't kill trees - only cold does. 

/s

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

so when is the record for days over 100? Back in the '20s?

it happened 2 fucking years ago.

Take a moment to listen to your local weather dudes talking about the weather. In yesterday's podcast, they state that the Brazos Valley is on track for its hottest summer ever when averaging the highs and lows. Currently, 2011 and 2022 are tied for that dubious distinction in your locale, but that record will undoubtedly fall.

https://www.kbtx.com/weather/the-pinpoint-podcast/

Here's a nifty website for weather records in College Station.

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/college-station

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-moving-to-stage-2-drought-restrictions-next-week-watering-times-shortened-by-3-hours/

The City of Austin said it would move to Stage 2 of its Drought Contingency Plan next week, as water levels on Lake Travis and Lake Buchanan continue to drop.

A press release from the city said the combined storage level in the lakes is projected to drop below 900,000 acre-feet within the next few days.

Interim City Manager Jesus Garza ordered the move to Stage 2 effective Tuesday, Aug. 15.

Here are the changes to watering restrictions under Stage 2:

• Automatic irrigation and hose-end watering are restricted to once per week, based on address.
  • Automatic irrigation can only be run before 5 a.m. or after 7 p.m. That’s a three-hour reduction from Stage 1 restrictions, which allowed watering before 8 a.m.
  • Wasting water is prohibited.
  • Restaurants can only serve water when requested by the customer.
  • Charity car washes are prohibited. Car washing at home must use a bucket or hose with an automatic shut-off valve.
  • Commercial properties, like bars and restaurants, can only use patio misters between 4 p.m. and midnight.
  • Large ornamental fountains can no longer be operated.
  • Irrigation for the establishment of new landscaping is no longer exempt from the watering schedule.

Austin Water customers are only allowed to use hose-end sprinklers or automatic irrigation once per week, based on their address. Automatic irrigation is allowed before 5 a.m. or after 7 p.m., while hose-end sprinklers are allowed before 10 a.m. or after 7 p.m.

• Hook 'Em 1