Get rich/famous scheme. Kill husband then write children's book on dealing with grief.

crash_davis

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/u-haul-rampage-brooklyn-driver-weng-sor-charged-murder-attempted-murder-assault/

After her husband died last year, she wrote a children's book on grief. Now she's charged with his murder.

Kouri Richins was arrested on Monday in Utah and is accused in charging documents of poisoning her husband with a lethal dose of fentanyl at their home in Kamas, a small mountain town near Park City. According to a probable cause statement, the victims "told a friend that he thought his wife was trying to poison him," CBS affiliate KUTV reported.

Prosecutors allege that Richins called authorities in the middle of the night in March 2022 to report that her husband, Eric Richins, was "cold to the touch." The mother of three told officers that she had made her husband a mixed vodka drink to celebrate him selling a home and then went to soothe one of their children to sleep in their bedroom. She later returned and upon finding her husband unresponsive, called 911.

A medical examiner later found five times the lethal dosage of fentanyl in his system.

In addition to the murder charge, Richins also faces charges involving the alleged possession of GHB - a narcolepsy drug frequently used in recreational settings, including at dance clubs.

Detectives said they found evidence that Richins had communicated with a person who has previously been charged for possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, KUTV reported. Richins reportedly texted this person to ask for some prescription pain medication for an investor who had a back injury, and she was given hydrocodone pills. About two weeks later, Kouri said her investor wanted something stronger and requested "some of the Michael Jackson stuff," asking specifically for fentanyl.

KUTV reported that three days after Richins allegedly procured the fentanyl — she and her husband had a Valentine's Day dinner in which he "became very ill," a probable cause statement read.

"Eric believed that he had been poisoned," the statement said. "Eric told a friend that he thought his wife was trying to poison him."

The charges come two months after Richins appeared on local television to promote "Are you with me?" a picture book she wrote to help children cope after the death of a loved one.

For a segment entitled "Good Things Utah," Richins called her husband's death unexpected and described how it sent her and her three boys reeling. For children, she said, grieving was about "making sure that their spirit is always alive in your home."

"It's - you know - explaining to my kid just because he's not present here with us physically, doesn't mean his presence isn't here with us," she told the anchors, who commended her for being an amazing mother.

KUTV reports the dedication section of the book reads: "Dedicated to my amazing husband and a wonderful father."

And would! I just wouldn't eat dinner or drink with her before or after.

ap23129067438497.jpg

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/u-haul-rampage-brooklyn-driver-weng-sor-charged-murder-attempted-murder-assault/

After her husband died last year, she wrote a children's book on grief. Now she's charged with his murder.

Kouri Richins was arrested on Monday in Utah and is accused in charging documents of poisoning her husband with a lethal dose of fentanyl at their home in Kamas, a small mountain town near Park City. According to a probable cause statement, the victims "told a friend that he thought his wife was trying to poison him," CBS affiliate KUTV reported.

Prosecutors allege that Richins called authorities in the middle of the night in March 2022 to report that her husband, Eric Richins, was "cold to the touch." The mother of three told officers that she had made her husband a mixed vodka drink to celebrate him selling a home and then went to soothe one of their children to sleep in their bedroom. She later returned and upon finding her husband unresponsive, called 911.

A medical examiner later found five times the lethal dosage of fentanyl in his system.

In addition to the murder charge, Richins also faces charges involving the alleged possession of GHB - a narcolepsy drug frequently used in recreational settings, including at dance clubs.

Detectives said they found evidence that Richins had communicated with a person who has previously been charged for possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, KUTV reported. Richins reportedly texted this person to ask for some prescription pain medication for an investor who had a back injury, and she was given hydrocodone pills. About two weeks later, Kouri said her investor wanted something stronger and requested "some of the Michael Jackson stuff," asking specifically for fentanyl.

KUTV reported that three days after Richins allegedly procured the fentanyl — she and her husband had a Valentine's Day dinner in which he "became very ill," a probable cause statement read.

"Eric believed that he had been poisoned," the statement said. "Eric told a friend that he thought his wife was trying to poison him."

The charges come two months after Richins appeared on local television to promote "Are you with me?" a picture book she wrote to help children cope after the death of a loved one.

For a segment entitled "Good Things Utah," Richins called her husband's death unexpected and described how it sent her and her three boys reeling. For children, she said, grieving was about "making sure that their spirit is always alive in your home."

"It's - you know - explaining to my kid just because he's not present here with us physically, doesn't mean his presence isn't here with us," she told the anchors, who commended her for being an amazing mother.

KUTV reports the dedication section of the book reads: "Dedicated to my amazing husband and a wonderful father."

And would! I just wouldn't eat dinner or drink with her before or after.

ap23129067438497.jpg

Wrong link

• Hook 'Em 1

She used her own cell phone to text someone to buy the drugs later found in her dead husband. Hasn’t she seen any tv show about drugs ever? 

I bet the cops got suspicious when chapter one of her kids book was “you know how you can’t stop smiling bc your husband is finally gone and you can start banging your side piece guilt free?”

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

She used her own cell phone to text someone to buy the drugs later found in her dead husband. Hasn’t she seen any tv show about drugs ever? 

I bet the cops got suspicious when chapter one of her kids book was “you know how you can’t stop smiling bc your husband is finally gone and you can start banging your side piece guilt free?”

“Although you may not see them, we can always feel their presence. You’ll know they are there by the way you’re always looking over your shoulder, and the way you expect a knock at your door any day.” 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

she poisoned him once, and he was so suspicious of it that he told a friend that she was trying to poison him, and then a day later he got home, she made him a cocktail, and he drank it? i have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

Especially since they’re Mormon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

she poisoned him once, and he was so suspicious of it that he told a friend that she was trying to poison him, and then a day later he got home, she made him a cocktail, and he drank it? i have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

She roofied him first it sounds like. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Pussy.  It's undefeated.

• Hook 'Em 3

In the early ‘90s, I was in a Young Single Adults Sunday School Class. The Sungle Adults minister was married, with a young child. His wife was pregnant. One Sunday night, I was at my fiancée’s apartment and we got a call. The wife was dead. Her husband, the minister, was cleaning a shotgun in the living room while watching TV. She was asleep on the couch. He thought the gun wasn’t loaded. It was, and went off, and hit her in the head. 

The local police suspected it was murder. If it was, it was the perfect crime- “I shot her, with this gun, on accident, and I am so sorry”. they had nothing to charge him with. 

There was a huge memorial service, and she was buried a hundred miles away in her family’s plot in a part of a cemetery. Within a year he was remarried to a girl who was in the single adult ministry. His ministerial career stalled out; he just couldn’t shake the whispers. 

He put his pastoral skills to work as a speaker and salesman. I check on him occasionally by googling- about twenty years ago he actually did write a book about dealing with grief. 

2 hours ago, statsman said:

In the early ‘90s, I was in a Young Single Adults Sunday School Class. The Sungle Adults minister was married, with a young child. His wife was pregnant. One Sunday night, I was at my fiancée’s apartment and we got a call. The wife was dead. Her husband, the minister, was cleaning a shotgun in the living room while watching TV. She was asleep on the couch. He thought the gun wasn’t loaded. It was, and went off, and hit her in the head. 

The local police suspected it was murder. If it was, it was the perfect crime- “I shot her, with this gun, on accident, and I am so sorry”. they had nothing to charge him with. 

There was a huge memorial service, and she was buried a hundred miles away in her family’s plot in a part of a cemetery. Within a year he was remarried to a girl who was in the single adult ministry. His ministerial career stalled out; he just couldn’t shake the whispers. 

He put his pastoral skills to work as a speaker and salesman. I check on him occasionally by googling- about twenty years ago he actually did write a book about dealing with grief. 

There is a LOT to process here.

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah. I thought about mentioning names, but decided against it. Was it an accident or a murder? I knew the guy, and I don’t feel strongly one way or the other. I know the police were suspicious- they’ll tell you that a ridiculous percentage of single shot accidental discharges are fatal (we all know that an accidental firing that just hits sheetrock or windows never get reported. What is missing is the expected number of accidental shots that hit an extremity). 

Watching Dateline, I have learned that you really need to be careful who you marry- that is the person most likely to kill you! I laugh at the elaborate machinations and intricate plots and stagings some killers go through. I know from the above example- a really simple plan probably works best. 

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Yeah.  Sure, this bitch is evil.  But this also is a bit Darwin-ish.

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Really? Not for me. He’s an evil piece of shit who murdered his wife and unborn child because he preferred fucking new pussy. New pussy that he potentially groomed. And he got away with it. 

There was a spate of preachers killing their spouses to get out of marriages, 30-40 years ago (Walker Railey, etc). Large Protestant denominations absolutely had career paths and the guys who took over the largest congregations had a lot of recognition, influence and even wealth. A divorce was a career ender. 

Things have changed now, and I think that’s good. There are ministerial callings for divorced ministers. (You have to wonder- do guys like Railey even really believe in God?)

Joel Gregory was a preacher years ago, who was one of the most insightful commenters on the Bible I have ever heard. He got the top spot at 1st Baptist Dallas, which was (and I guess is) a really big deal. It all collapsed when he divorced his wife, and I think he became a funeral director. Credit to him, I guess, for dealing with an adult problem in an adult manner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, statsman said:

99% of people who shoot their wives in the head will be convicted of murder. “Cleaning his gun?” Bullshit. I’d argue not the perfect crime but lucking into a coward prosecutor who didn’t want to make a case of calling a minister a liar

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, statsman said:

There was a spate of preachers killing their spouses to get out of marriages, 30-40 years ago (Walker Railey, etc). Large Protestant denominations absolutely had career paths and the guys who took over the largest congregations had a lot of recognition, influence and even wealth. A divorce was a career ender. 

Things have changed now, and I think that’s good. There are ministerial callings for divorced ministers. (You have to wonder- do guys like Railey even really believe in God?)

Joel Gregory was a preacher years ago, who was one of the most insightful commenters on the Bible I have ever heard. He got the top spot at 1st Baptist Dallas, which was (and I guess is) a really big deal. It all collapsed when he divorced his wife, and I think he became a funeral director. Credit to him, I guess, for dealing with an adult problem in an adult manner. 

Today I Learned...raping boys is not career ending for men of faith but divorcing the wife is.

• Rage+1 7

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Anytime I hear of a gun killing someone while another person is cleaning it, I call bullshit.  I've cleaned guns countless times and I triple-check every fucking time to make sure it isn't loaded.

The singles minister is either a murderer or regarded. 

I'm not an expert but I have never seen a gun that doesn't require some level of disassembly for cleaning and that disassembly is awkward, if not impossible, to do with it pointed at yourself.

2 hours ago, statsman said:

It's not easy putting on the nonsense show Baptists insist upon, whether you're a minister or a member of the congregation.  I don't miss it a single bit.   

I'm not sure it's a good thing that ministers have slowed down the wholesale slaughter of their middle-aged wives so they can now focus singly on diddling kids, but I suppose it's a "one step at a time" type situation.  With any luck, there won't be any Baptists left in another generation or two and everyone will breathe easier - especially women and kids.

• Drool 1

52 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

It's not easy putting on the nonsense show Baptists insist upon, whether you're a minister or a member of the congregation.  I don't miss it a single bit.   

I'm not sure it's a good thing that ministers have slowed down the wholesale slaughter of their middle-aged wives so they can now focus singly on diddling kids, but I suppose it's a "one step at a time" type situation.  With any luck, there won't be any Baptists left in another generation or two and everyone will breathe easier - especially women and kids.

Another demise for Baptists, when they start making better money, they start going to Methodist churches.

i keed, of course, but only slightly.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Really? Not for me. He’s an evil piece of shit who murdered his wife and unborn child because he preferred fucking new pussy. New pussy that he potentially groomed. And he got away with it. 

Yeah, I'm still unpacking the "Young Single Adults Sunday School Class." With the married minister. I'll let you know when I figure that part out and can move on to the rest of the post.

So, like, are they directly trying to hook people up with each other there? What's the cutoff for "young"? Are you deemed unworthy once your reach 30? Did statsman meet his fiancee in the class and was this allowed to stay on as a success story?

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I'm still unpacking the "Young Single Adults Sunday School Class." With the married minister. I'll let you know when I figure that part out and can move on to the rest of the post.

So, like, are they directly trying to hook people up with each other there? What's the cutoff for "young"? Are you deemed unworthy once your reach 30? Did statsman meet his fiancee in the class and was this allowed to stay on as a success story?

You're overthinking it. It's where predators round be their next round of prey. That guy having successfully navigated his only singleness to married gives him credence on how to find a mate to the dullards or join class. Some other ones probably pair off too, looking for someone who shares the "same values." Rinse and repeat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Anytime I hear of a gun killing someone while another person is cleaning it, I call bullshit.  I've cleaned guns countless times and I triple-check every fucking time to make sure it isn't loaded.

The singles minister is either a murderer or regarded. 

I remember two incidents in my childhood where “gun cleaning accident” was the official line around town. 

My first grade teacher lost her son and husband, the story was that the father accidentally shot his son while cleaning a gun and then killed himself in a fit of grief.  This rocked the community, the son was a popular football player and the family was beloved. 

The second was a youth sports teammate’s dad who also was cleaning his gun and it discharged and killed him.

Several years after both, at a dinner conversation that turned to guns and accidents, my parents quietly explained that the first was a murder/suicide and the second a suicide and that we had all just agreed to let the other story be.

And I kinda get it, but neither of those cases had a potential murder alive. 

14 hours ago, aggie08 said:

8 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Yes. Like, why does someone in the young single adults ministry have a fiancee? 

I couldnt even get past the Sunday School thing as an adult. 

8 hours ago, statsman said:

Watching Dateline, I have learned that you really need to be careful who you marry- that is the person most likely to kill you! I laugh at the elaborate machinations and intricate plots and stagings some killers go through. I know from the above example- a really simple plan probably works best. 

Freakonomics did a podcast on this a while back.  https://freakonomics.com/podcast/the-perfect-crime-2/

Turns out running someone over with your car is the simplest plan with the best odds of avoiding charges.