RIP MTV News

mdmost

MTV News is shutting down due to budget cuts at Paramount. A large part of any 80s or early 90s kid's world. From learning about Kurt Cobain's suicide to hosting town halls with Bill Clinton. When you heard that sounder, you looked up from whatever you were doing and paid attention. 

Also, today I learned MTV News was still going.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/mtv-news-shut-down-paramount-layoffs-kurt-loder-1235483098/

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Ya'll of a certain age; you should read this oral history. Here's a couple of excerpts:

30366546841.jpg

“FRED SEIBERT: I called my oldest friend, Frank Olinsky, who had started Manhattan Design with two partners. I asked them to design a logo. All I told them was, it’s radio on television, and I don’t want any musical instruments or notes. At this point it’s April or May, and we’re down to the wire. Bob is tapping his foot, saying “Where the hell is the logo?”

So one day Frank comes to my office. I’m flipping through one after another. I’m depressed. This one’s not gonna work, that one’s not gonna work. On the bottom of the pile is a piece of tracing paper that looks like it had been crumpled up and then flattened out. And on it was the M that we now know. I’m like, “That’s great.” Frank spray paints TV onto the M, leaves the drips on, and comes back. We go, “That’s it!” Graffiti. Done.”

“Then I said, “Okay, what colors will it be?” They do a couple dozen treatments, and each one looks good to me. So I put them up on my wall in my cubicle, and for weeks I looked at them, every hour, every day. Finally I said, “What if we use all of these in a single piece of animation? What if the logo was constantly changing? Isn’t that kind of a rock n’ roll thing to do?” You’d see twenty logos in one ten-second piece.

ANDY SETOS: It was changing like every eighth of a second. We had a discussion about that, so it wouldn’t go too fast and give people epilepsy.”

“BOB PITTMAN: Les Garland talked Mick Jagger into doing the “I Want My MTV” campaign. He went and sat in Paris for days, waiting for Mick.

LES GARLAND: Joan and I flew to France, along with Dale Pon. I had two days to spare when we got there. I’d been working hard, and I went out rocking. And got lost for a day and a half. I met some women, and I had a pretty good time. Joan was freaked out. She had the police looking for me. I finally come rolling in, and she says, “Where the fuck have you been?”

I get my meeting with Mick. “Okay, Garland, tell me what you want.” I go, “I’d like to convince you to go on camera to help us with a new ad campaign, and all I need you to say is, ‘I want my MTV.’” And he goes, “You want me to do a commercial?” I go, “It’s really more of an endorsement. It’s an endorsement for a new phenomenon called music videos.” He says, “Yeah, that’s a commercial. The Rolling Stones don’t do commercials.”

I go, “Well, that’s not really true. I was at Atlantic when Jovan perfume sponsored your tour.” “Well, we got paid a lot of money for that.” I said, “So what you’re saying is, you do commercials for money.” And that got a little laugh. I said, “Mick, we don’t have any money. But if this is about money, I’ll give you a dollar.” And I threw a dollar on the table. He looked up and he said, “I like you, Garland. I’ll do it.” We shot it the next day. And it blew everybody’s mind. From there we called Pat Benatar: “Mick Jagger’s in.” David Bowie: “Mick Jagger’s in.” We used Mick to get the cooperation of everyone else.”

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Do bands still make videos?  If so, where are they shown?

Yeah.  Youtube mostly.  I don't speak German, but here's one from Rammstein that is absolutely hilarious, because they are mocking the entire premise of musicians and other entertainers that do their best to defy aging (and failing miserably), but their audience is..well, old:

Edited by Francisco 2.0

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

MTV gave us Carson Daly, so it can always go fuck itself for that.

I just saw something the other day that he did that Last Call show till 2019, where he interviewed and had unknow bands and comedians perform.  I thought it ended years ago.  I guess that was more his passion project because there’s no way he made that much or needed the money he got from it.  

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Yeah.  Youtube mostly.  I don't speak German, but here's one from Rammstein that is absolutely hilarious, because they are mocking the entire premise of musicians and other entertainers that do their best to defy aging (and failing miserably), but their audience is..well, old:

Gotta love a song that starts:

Your tits are too small