Texas could have the three largest metros by 2100

We don't have the power grid nor water supply to make it, with flat growth, to 2050.  And suddenly we're have the three largest MSA's in the nation 50 years after that?  

Is there some super secret, functioning grid I don't know about?  That actually uses the insane amount of natural gas and sunlight we have in this state?  

I mean, all those people will move here.  And then they'll die.  Mostly on Rainey Street.  From not not Nicole.  

• Like 1

It's unlikely enough that current growth trends hold steady over a century - just look at the 1920 census vs the present. Projecting out 80 years based on current trends is just making clickbait.

Beyond that, many of the coastal MSA's are artificially small. Poughkeepsie, NY as well as Fairfield County and New Haven County in CT are each considered their own MSA's when in reality they are dependent on NYC (and included in the larger NYC CSA). Ventura County and Riverside/SB Counties are considered separate MSA's from LA. San Jose and San Francisco are separate MSA's. 

Houston is more likely to be the 21st century Detroit than it is to be the second largest MSA and larger than NYC.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

We don't have the power grid nor water supply to make it, with flat growth, to 2050.  And suddenly we're have the three largest MSA's in the nation 50 years after that?  

Is there some super secret, functioning grid I don't know about?  That actually uses the insane amount of natural gas and sunlight we have in this state?  

I mean, all those people will move here.  And then they'll die.  Mostly on Rainey Street.  From not not Nicole.  

This.  Obviously.

Then ztejas’ comment.  Poor forecast.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

It's unlikely enough that current growth trends hold steady over a century - just look at the 1920 census vs the present. Projecting out 80 years based on current trends is just making clickbait.

Beyond that, many of the coastal MSA's are artificially small. Poughkeepsie, NY as well as Fairfield County and New Haven County in CT are each considered their own MSA's when in reality they are dependent on NYC (and included in the larger NYC CSA). Ventura County and Riverside/SB Counties are considered separate MSA's from LA. San Jose and San Francisco are separate MSA's. 

Houston is more likely to be the 21st century Detroit than it is to be the second largest MSA and larger than NYC.

Dibs on '21st Century Detroit' for my Houston realtor firm.  

"I have a number of homes to show you today.  We think this area could be the next Dearborn, or even Flint."  

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Stupid projection unless someone creates a free energy system, someone else creates cheap desalination, and then they put a bubble over the entire triangle for climate control. 

aggy still working on their maroon fusion project?

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

San Antonio / New Braunfels / San Marcos / Buda / Austin / Round Rock / Georgetown will be the huge I35 metroplex 

Georgetown to SA = Austin

Houston + College Station + Galveston + Beaumount

Dallas/FW down to Waco, Tyler and all the to the the red river 

Eventually it will just be one big megacity 

There is no way the Austin area will have enough water for 22 million people in 2100...  Probably not even 2 million.

Austin headlines for the year 2100:

"Rail extension to the airport approved"
  "East Austin focus group raises concerns about West Austin"
  "Texas may finally turn blue during the coming election cycle"
  "Traffic, affordability highlight local election issues"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

There is no way the Austin area will have enough water for 22 million people in 2100...  Probably not even 2 million.

Austin headlines for the year 2100:

"Rail extension to the airport approved"
  "East Austin focus group raises concerns about West Austin"
  "Texas may finally turn blue during the coming election cycle"
  "Traffic, affordability highlight local election issues"

You forgot $1 trillionth dollar spent on homelessness.  City celebrates homeless population down as much as  5%

• Haha 1

Texas has enough water to continue growing with smart management.  Increase reuse and get rid of waste.  But it’s unlikely to happen without crisis.  Unfortunately that’s the way in the state.  This next go round will be driven by the growth currently under way and will happen once aquifers go down enough for the imposition of development moratoria.  Which is coming in the next ten years.  Hell it’s already happening in some of the towns north of Austin but no one will say it out loud.

Right now a bunch of different pipes are being run from the Simsboro and Corrizo back to central Texas.  When those draw down they are out of options and direct reuse from wastewater will start.

• Hook 'Em 1

There is no such thing as water availability issues.  There may be water transportation and water treatment/processing cost issues.  But there’s more than enough water.  Desal and wastewater reuse can solve any water availability issues.  It just has to be needed enough to justify the cost.

On 6/27/2023 at 7:48 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As a 50 year resident of Texas, I don't really understand why anyone wants to move here. I assume some combination of people being sheep and/or it really sucks elsewhere. 

Bullshit propaganda about "low taxes" (just ignore the property taxes, nothing to see here!) and FREEDUMB (for certain groups, but not for others)

• Fuck You 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, Snake Diggity said:

There is no such thing as water availability issues.  There may be water transportation and water treatment/processing cost issues.  But there’s more than enough water.  Desal and wastewater reuse can solve any water availability issues.  It just has to be needed enough to justify the cost.

If only we spent our surpluses on shit like desal at scale?  Nah, we have a functionless shit to build at the border instead.