"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

FREE SPEECH!!!!!

Just not over there.

Somebody had to hire those former Twitter engineers.

He should sue trump for the Truth code instead.  Lots of assets there.

Edited by dcbc

32 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

people may follow different accounts and ascribe different significance to a checkmark. my feed of finance and tech remained the same - with same people posting, checked or not.  most palpable difference is crypto spambots disappeared or relegated to hidden replies….somewhat replaced by OnlyFans spam (is that a net win?)

the previous twitter ‘alternatives’ were factional offshoots - gab and parler for RW, mastodon and post for LW, etc.  they were supposed to pull users away from twitter (but failed).  threads i can see permanent migration of people who used twitter to follow big media celebs.  my guess is its pulling user time away from instagram instead of from twitter, and twitter will continue to persist in parallel. 

i cherish web drama. its not a non-denial, its an open admission. 

yeah agree - if you have an already curated and static list of accounts you follow and you don't do discovery or engagement outside of those accounts (or use twitter for news, sports, etc), ditching verification wouldn't impact you greatly and you also may not notice a difference in seeing the $9.95ers voices amplified in the comments.

I think that Threads or not the way Elon is running Twitter is not sustainable - the traffic rationing that they had to do is strong evidence of that and it seems like revenue is likely way down (although to be fair I haven't dug into those sources and I don't think that the Elon Musk thread on Surly is a balanced view inasmuch as such a thing exists).

Labelling Mastodon and Post as being for "left wing" in the same way that Gab and Parler are for "right wing" is laughable. 

Like I said, I still think it's likely that Twitter survives and at least kinda remains the primary "Twitter", but I also think it's likely Threads gives it the kill shot. Just playing around a little bit with either Mastodon or Post it was pretty clear that they had a different feel than classic Twitter. Mastodon felt very tech nerd and Post felt very academic/news nerd, neither had or seemed to want to embrace the fun and chaos of the internet and for a platform like Twitter, that's super fucking important. I think that you are correct that the Instagram connection gives Threads a big boost with the celeb accounts, but I don't think that that is what it is going to be. Most of the twitter people are also instagram people. They may be different "people" in those two places but they already exist there and worlds are colliding. I will say, if this doesn't become "new twitter" I think that nothing kills Twitter until the whole thing falls over.

• Hook 'Em 2

It will get frustrated Twitter users.  It will get Instagram users either looking to cross-post or people like me, who use Instagram, but deleted his Twitter account because it wasn't necessary to view linked tweets until recently.  And Elon's bitching about it and threatening to sue will provide an extra boost.  Companies might decide it's worth splitting ad buys between them to see which survives.

It's funny, Elmo thought it was going to be a fist fight.  Zuck's a freak, but nice head fake.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

I guess the startup algorithm takes your first followers follows and puts them in your feed. Because one of the first of my friends to sign on are a gay couple and the last several hours my feed includes a bunch of big gay beefcakes. NTTAWWT.

• Haha 5

I find it funny that Elmo is going to sue (allegedly) Zuckerberg/Meta for hiring away engineers he fucking fired and Truth Social was allowed to effectively copy completely Twitter’s interface, only changing the blue checks to red.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I find it funny that Elmo is going to sue (allegedly) Zuckerberg/Meta for hiring away engineers he fucking fired and Truth Social was allowed to effectively copy completely Twitter’s interface, only changing the blue checks to red.

And Elmo may not have paid those engineers what they were due, so it's headed to court/arbitration, except twitter is not showing up for arbitration.  He has created so many people who hate him and will happily spill all kinds of internal secrets about twitter, and he doesn't even realize it.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Labelling Mastodon and Post as being for "left wing" in the same way that Gab and Parler are for "right wing" is laughable.

one group were labeled right wing (aka nazis) and quit on account of being censored old admins.  the other group quit on account of the new admin allowing and even being nazis themselves.  you can disagree with the labels but the real world has a funny way of being symmetric like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

one group were labeled right wing (aka nazis) and quit on account of being censored old admins.  the other group quit on account of the new admin allowing and even being nazis themselves.  you can disagree with the labels but the real world has a funny way of being symmetric like that.

Plenty of people who aren’t left wing are intolerant of Nazis. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

The only downside to Threads right now is that it’s Instagram. I want Threads to be news and current affairs so it’s difficult to clean up my follows when I can’t see my follows.

Also, 2 days in and the Austin American Statesman isn’t aware Threads exists and has no presence. Maybe they don’t want to piss off Elon on the slim hope he gives them some access in the future.

you mean the old site administrators whom the parler/gab/truth people didnt like werent literal marxo-communists?

point is these groups all split off due to grievances vs the then-status quo of the site, and by all means the political alignment of those groups mirrored each other in opposition.

The only downside to Threads right now is that it’s Instagram. I want Threads to be news and current affairs so it’s difficult to clean up my hollows when I can’t see my follows.

Also, 2 days in and the Austin American Statesman isn’t aware Threads exists and has no presence. Maybe they don’t want to piss off Elon on the slim hope he gives them some access in the future.

This. I am on there posting the same stuff I post on IG. And I feel compelled to follow the same people on threads as I do IG…so much of what I see on threads is already on IG as well.

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah I don’t think it’s fair to actual conservatives to label insurrectionists and literal nazis as simply “right wing” and everyone who opposes them as left.

Look who you are talking to man.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This. I am on there posting the same stuff I post on IG. And I feel compelled to follow the same people on threads as I do IG…so much of what I see on threads is already on IG as well.

I think this will most likely shake out in the future, but who knows.

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

you mean the old site administrators whom the parler/gab/truth people didnt like werent literal marxo-communists?

point is these groups all split off due to grievances vs the then-status quo of the site, and by all means the political alignment of those groups mirrored each other in opposition.

Yes I don’t think that the old site admins were the politically ideological opposite extremist equivalent of people who actually attempted to overthrow the US government or those whose stated aims are to cleanse white nations of non-whites and establish an authoritarian government. Because of this difference in our views, I disagree with your understanding of what is happening to Twitter.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

It will get frustrated Twitter users.  It will get Instagram users either looking to cross-post or people like me, who use Instagram, but deleted his Twitter account because it wasn't necessary to view linked tweets until recently.  And Elon's bitching about it and threatening to sue will provide an extra boost.  Companies might decide it's worth splitting ad buys between them to see which survives.

companies have been pulling back from twitter for a long time, pre-Elon. more are pulling back after the shitshow that is the last few months. every one of those companies are already selling ads on IG or Facebook and now have the ability to click a button and sell ads on threads? why would they split between when they know what they have with Meta products and already were iffy on what value twitter brings?

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Maybe I will do something different and rather than focus on my work I will promote friends or show off some books/photo books I love. But all this sounds exhausting.

Imo showing off photos = Instagram, discussions about photography = threads. I think it’s probably hard to discover at this point because search is very limited but (assuming you are primarily a photographer on this social account) I would see Insta as where you share your work (and promote your business?) and Threads as where you engage with the photography community (and maybe communities related to the things that you shoot), which should lead to people discovering your work. The direct link between threads and Instagram might be pretty nice there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

companies have been pulling back from twitter for a long time, pre-Elon. more are pulling back after the shitshow that is the last few months. every one of those companies are already selling ads on IG or Facebook and now have the ability to click a button and sell ads on threads? why would they split between when they know what they have with Meta products and already were iffy on what value twitter brings?

I should have said "companies which haven't yet bailed from Twitter . . . ."

• Hook 'Em 1

Imo showing off photos = Instagram, discussions about photography = threads. I think it’s probably hard to discover at this point because search is very limited but (assuming you are primarily a photographer on this social account) I would see Insta as where you share your work (and promote your business?) and Threads as where you engage with the photography community (and maybe communities related to the things that you shoot), which should lead to people discovering your work. The direct link between threads and Instagram might be pretty nice there.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe go fuck yourself.

But seriously, that is a valid approach. Although it can also be done on IG. I just get tired of interacting. In fact, since returning to IG after a break, I have turned off comments on my posts. I don’t need to see the fire emoji. Since photography is not my career, nor do I want it to be, at a base level I don’t really care if I am growing a following. It’s nice and feels good to be appreciated, but not needed.

I guess my issue is, I used Twitter for news and I used IG for photography (and following other photogs and artists). But since Threads is woven together with IG, it feels like I am compelled to follow everyone that was on my IG. When in reality, if I want it to be a substitute for Twitter, I would only follow a handful of news accounts and some UT related accounts. I am sure others are struggling with this as well.

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

But seriously, that is a valid approach. Although it can also be done on IG. I just get tired of interacting. In fact, since returning to IG after a break, I have turned off comments on my posts. I don’t need to see the fire emoji. Since photography is not my career, nor do I want it to be, at a base level I don’t really care if I am growing a following. It’s nice and feels good to be appreciated, but not needed.

I guess my issue is, I used Twitter for news and I used IG for photography (and following other photogs and artists). But since Threads is woven together with IG, it feels like I am compelled to follow everyone that was on my IG. When in reality, if I want it to be a substitute for Twitter, I would only follow a handful of news accounts and some UT related accounts. I am sure others are struggling with this as well.

In IG, go to your profile and click your name in the top left and then click “add account” in the menu that pops up from the bottom. Make a Twitter equivalent account, go to Threads and log out, when you log back in you should be able to choose your non “@buttholepics” account and walla the worlds are separated

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

In IG, go to your profile and click your name in the top right and then click “add account” in the menu that pops up from the bottom. Make a Twitter equivalent account, go to Threads and log out, when you log back in you should be able to choose your non “@buttholepics” account and walla the worlds are separated

It’s a brilliant plan. But you forgot one small detail: I don’t remember my IG log in, therefore I would need to do a reset to get back in once everything is set up. I just can’t be bothered with that at this very moment. Maybe tonight haha.
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

seinfeld-george-costanza.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Recreating your insta community on threads makes no sense.

you don't think it makes sense to make it easy for your 2.35 billion instagram users to easily, with 1 click, set up accounts you have pre-reserved name wise for them on threads?

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s a brilliant plan. But you forgot one small detail: I don’t remember my IG log in, therefore I would need to do a reset to get back in once everything is set up. I just can’t be bothered with that at this very moment. Maybe tonight haha.

try 8u77h013

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Yes I don’t think that the old site admins were the politically ideological opposite extremist equivalent of people who actually attempted to overthrow the US government or those whose stated aims are to cleanse white nations of non-whites and establish an authoritarian government. Because of this difference in our views, I disagree with your understanding of what is happening to Twitter.

You have a stronger opinion on the precision of political labels than I do.  My view on the history of Twitter is that some people didn't like the climate of twitter, feigned to leave, and came back.  Then other 'opposite' people didn't like the climate twitter, feigned to leave, and came back.  Nobody left on account of a technical reason. So it's self evident whatever stickyness Twitter have remains to be sticky.

What is your understand of what is happening to Twitter that would cause a mass exodus now.  The people who don't like each other all simultaneously migrate to the same place? People who dislike Elon will now embrace Zuck?  Or people start downloading Threads (which has no web interface), because of frustration over their Tweetdeck?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

you don't think it makes sense to make it easy for your 2.35 billion instagram users to easily, with 1 click, set up accounts you have pre-reserved name wise for them on threads?

That’s not what I’m saying. Of course it makes sense to tap into an install base of 2.35 BILLION customers to launch a new product.

I’m saying that a user (like Patricio) lamenting that their insta followers aren’t following them on threads misunderstands what threads is/isn’t.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

You have a stronger opinion on the precision of political labels than I do.  My view on the history of Twitter is that some people didn't like the climate of twitter, feigned to leave, and came back.  Then other 'opposite' people didn't like the climate twitter, feigned to leave, and came back.  Nobody left on account of a technical reason. So it's self evident whatever stickyness Twitter have remains to be sticky.

What is your understand of what is happening to Twitter that would cause a mass exodus now.  The people who don't like each other all simultaneously migrate to the same place? People who dislike Elon will now embrace Zuck?  Or people start downloading Threads (which has no web interface), because of frustration over their Tweetdeck?

I don't, it's really not a lot of precision I'm talking about. Based on our conversation, I can understand how, if Elon shares your view that Nazis and insurrectionists are simply "right wing", then breaking verification/moderation/amplification would be a way to give them an equal voice without saying all of the "politically incorrect" stuff that most of society finds intolerable out loud. And so breaking Twitter could be understood as simply changing the climate. I mean I think that's stupid, but I can see how one might get there. But, that's not my opinion - I think that removing verification and paying for visibility are technical changes that Elon made and are central (both the changes and that now there's one asshole in charge making changes like this) to why people have left or have wanted to leave. And that's again separate from the difficulty Twitter is experiencing in keeping the servers online and the advertiser dollars coming in. Twitter has remained sticky because it is hard to unseat social media platforms that have critical mass and there hasn't been a good equivalent available. That changed on Wednesday, which is what is being discussed in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 3