Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

We have a son and DIL in Arlington and in 2 years when we retire one option is to move back to Texas to be close, especially if they give us grandkids. Other than no state income tax, I don't know any reason why I'd want to move back. Disgusting. 

You’re gonna be retired and worried about state income tax?
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, mchookem said:

200w(13).gif.06604a05ce3344251fb7f0b809a3a09c.gif

Lulz, this is me right now.  My give-a-fuck has dropped several levels now that we have a Colorado house under contract.  

And it deserves to be said that the prosecution (mainly Rusty) did such an abysmally shitty job on this that several Dems voted to acquit.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

We have a son and DIL in Arlington and in 2 years when we retire one option is to move back to Texas to be close, especially if they give us grandkids. Other than no state income tax, I don't know any reason why I'd want to move back. Disgusting. 

False argument. We have high sales tax, high property tax, high energy costs, poor public education, highest percentage of uninsured people, lots of necks carrying guns and a step away from being a theocracy. 
Pro business, anti human. Great place to live!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

yeah...the whole lower tax argument is a real strawman, we learned that pretty quick. at least in CO...CA or NY or something might be a bigger difference, but more importantly... money ain't everything, quality of life and peace of mind increase their value dramatically with age. at least it has for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

For those that are real upset by this, I understand, but it's a bit weird. The mere fact that it got to this point is pretty wild given the Republican domination in this state. It's like having an 4-8 football team that goes to the national championship game the next year and being pissed they lost.

Also, I watched a lot of this trial. The prosecution was not very good in laying out their case. The defense was great at obfuscating the facts. The only one that I felt was a slam dunk was the article about retaliation against whistleblowers. 

Patrick having a speech ready to go on acquittal to bash the House is in poor taste. I think he should have had the decency to wait until a press conference afterward. In general, I thought he ran a decently "fair" trial in that he didn't seem outwardly biased, but he was also just bad. His number one recommendation should be to amend the constitution to lay out the rules of impeachment where someone with no judicial experience can't be in charge of the trial. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

So my source says 

They will vote to acquit. They will do so in order to hang the 60 House Republicans out to dry who voted to impeach. They will find candidates to run against them that are loyal to Dan Patrick, and enrich the consultants that run that operation 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They can’t erase the other four impeachment charges and those charges are out of their control.  

That will also push the House farther away from playing nice with the Senate.  

And if Patrick wanted to hang them out to dry, he would have done so back on the fourth when they voted whether to accept the charges or dismiss them outright. 

And Paxton doesn’t have the kind of base that they give a shit about - he didn’t have thousands of people showing up to protest this - Republicans don’t give a fuck about the AG as long as there is an (R) next to their name. 

But Republicans in Texas may want to match the Dems for stupidity so a civil war next year that will waste a fuckton of campaign resources is on brand.  

This had nothing to do with Paxton. This was about money and power. 

Consultants get tons of money. 
Patrick gets more power. 

Everyone went through the motions for the public’s sake. And possible to air some laundry, but no, this in no way will hurt Republicans. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

For those that are real upset by this, I understand, but it's a bit weird. The mere fact that it got to this point is pretty wild given the Republican domination in this state. It's like having an 4-8 football team that goes to the national championship game the next year and being pissed they lost.

Also, I watched a lot of this trial. The prosecution was not very good in laying out their case. The defense was great at obfuscating the facts. The only one that I felt was a slam dunk was the article about retaliation against whistleblowers. 

Patrick having a speech ready to go on acquittal to bash the House is in poor taste. I think he should have had the decency to wait until a press conference afterward. In general, I thought he ran a decently "fair" trial in that he didn't seem outwardly biased, but he was also just bad. His number one recommendation should be to amend the constitution to lay out the rules of impeachment where someone with no judicial experience can't be in charge of the trial. 

I’m curious. Is the standard of ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’ in the constitution?!

how can the highest bar given to criminal defendants be the same for a political process.

Because that’s what Patrick instructed the jury. They had to have a no reasonable doubt and every aspect of the article has to be no doubt.

AND even if you believed it, if you didn’t think removal from office was an appropriate punishment, then you could also acquit.

That’s a HUGE burden of proof. Where is that shit written down?

This had nothing to do with Paxton. This was about money and power. 
Consultants get tons of money. 
Patrick gets more power. 
Everyone went through the motions for the public’s sake. And possible to air some laundry, but no, this in no way will hurt Republicans. 

I think you are right. And Patrick even got $3 million out of it

9 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I’m curious. Is the standard of ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’ in the constitution?!

how can the highest bar given to criminal defendants be the same for a political process.

Because that’s what Patrick instructed the jury. They had to have a no reasonable doubt and every aspect of the article has to be no doubt.

AND even if you believed it, if you didn’t think removal from office was an appropriate punishment, then you could also acquit.

Yeah that was pretty wild. 

Not solely due to this, but Texas you are a failed state. You are somehow more corrupt AND embarrassing than Florida. “Florida man”has nothing on “Texas man.” I think I can go the rest of my life without ever visiting the state where I was born. You absolutely have the government that you want and deserve. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

If you are retired, a state with no income tax but high property tax and sales tax is the worst place to live. 

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

I mentioned that my ex wife is on the prosecution team. She just texted me to say that they’ve received a credible threat of violence against the House managers so they’re exiting to a safe place.
This fucking place is the worst.

This is important. The violence, and the threat of violence, is 100% part of the “how fascists come to power, and maintain it” handbook.
“Vote against me and, uh, the other side will pass some policies you don’t like” is a much different message than “”vote against me, and someone will shoot you dead as you get in your car to take your kids to school.” That second message is the one that is real and carries weight now.
  • Hook 'Em 5

Any idea where the AG whistleblower settlement stands now? Ledge still isn't funding it, correct? Paxton going on trial again without settlement?

Well, it would take approval by the House to pay it. So…no settlement anytime soon.
So…seriously, what comes next is civil war between the worst of the right, and the not-as-bad right. Have no fear..the worst guys will win in the end.
  • Like 1

Well, now things will go back to normal.

Paxton will resume suing the Biden administration on a daily basis.

Paxton will continue to run interference for criminals who can help him financially

Paxton will continue to bully and run roughshod over the judicial process

Paxton will continue to follow Baylor football and bang side pieces.

Paxton will continue to attend church with Angela 

Paxton is the Attorney General of Texas.

• Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Paxton will continue to run interference for criminals who can help him financially

I don't think it matters who was in the office, the state would be doing the same things in court

16 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Any idea where the AG whistleblower settlement stands now? Ledge still isn't funding it, correct? Paxton going on trial again without settlement?

For it to happen before the 2025 session, I think it would take Abbott adding it to a special session call, and the House agreeing to fund it. (Someone correct me on that if it's wrong.) The House could tell Paxton no and force the TX Supreme Court to decide whether the Whistleblower Act applies to him as an elected official. If the Court gets that right and then lifts the abatement, discovery starts up again. And at trial, the plaintiffs will get a presumption of retaliation that the OAG would have to rebut.

Edited by Cap33
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

@atomheartbevo come out to play!

goodfellas GIF

You've been pretending people will do the right thing for years now. You didn't even think Paxton would be re-elected after his indictment. My dude, your state is a fucking shit show

It's time to wake up and smell the ashes. Texas is not going to get any better. Our cancer has metastasized and there's vanishingly few civil mechanisms remaining to vote out or prosecute the lawbreaking representative majority. 

We the people are at it's mercy. And they hate what our state is becoming. You thought voter suppression and civil rights abuses were bad before?

Buckle Up Caitlyn Jenner GIF by South Park

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

You forgot the part where he’s going to use the power is the AG’s office to carry out personal vendettas against House Republicans.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

The rules of the proceedings. Nowhere else. Also use of Tex. R. Evid. 

31 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This next special is going to be fire.

Abbott and Patrick want vouchers. I don’t think the House is in much of a mood to do deals.

Letthemfight.gif

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The penance for the GQP reps who went against Paxton is that they’re gonna have to pass school vouchers to not get primaried.

On the other hand, many of them will get primaried if they do pass vouchers, so...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1