Wulaw Horn

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But seriously their 5-2 is so awful.....

image.png.f47347849569a9c779a3c5848841b153.png

Only two .500 or better teams they've played they lost, pretty convincingly 

SHSU 0-7
Southern Utah(FCS) 2-5
Arkansas 2-6
Kansas 5-2
Cincy 2-5
TCU 4-4
Tech 3-5

Oh, I agree.

It’s just funny to see us as a fanbase because after a bad performance we project that game forward to the rest of the year and after a good performance we try to do the same and say we might never lose again.

Truth is always in the middle. BYU isn’t as good as their 5-2 record but they probably aren’t as bad as beating Sam Houston State 14-0 or losing to TCU by 33.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Oh, I agree.

It’s just funny to see us as a fanbase because after a bad performance we project that game forward to the rest of the year and after a good performance we try to do the same and say we might never lose again.

Truth is always in the middle. BYU isn’t as good as their 5-2 record but they probably aren’t as bad as beating Sam Houston State 14-0 or losing to TCU by 33.

We have no idea how bad this Texas team can play, with this week’s personnel 

Gerry and Bobby both mentioned that they do not expect Burke or Jett Bush to play this week. So BUCK will likely be Tapp backed up by Billy Walton while the SAM LB spot could be a place where Akana gets some pass rushing snaps (he was on the travel squad for the UH game).

What’s the injury status on Barron and Collins?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Are they only wearing 1 layer of clothing?

And have only purchased half the amount of prepper supplies that they were supposed to. Soooooo naughty.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would be very disappointing to give up 24 points to this BYU offense but I don't think anyone here would be complaining too much about a double digit win where we scored 34 with our backup QB.

IMG_8865.gif.45e8ddab3d95e5f0e3d02f0d91614416.gif

• Haha 2

On 10/24/2023 at 3:50 PM, Frank Drebin said:

Went to an Oilers game against Green Bay and was pumped Don Majikowski (sp?) was hurt and his unproven backup would start.  And that SOB made play after play to beat my team.  Was Brett Favre.

Favre had been starting for ~3 months by the time we played in December that year. He didn’t have a big game (155 yards passing), the problem was we had 4 fucking turnovers on their end of the field. Cody Carlson threw two horrible interceptions in the 4th quarter, one of them to a linebacker who was literally standing still….

Edited by Ignatius

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Favre had been starting for ~3 months by the time we played in December that year. He didn’t have a big game (155 yards passing), the problem was we had 4 fucking turnovers on their end of the field. Cody Carlson threw two horrible interceptions in the 4th quarter, one of them to a linebacker who was literally standing still….

Well shit.  I was 14 at the time.

spacer.png

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Did a bunch of the BYU players get busted for drinking coffee?

Nah...

Scipio Tex analysis was released this morning and Vegas adjusted their line 😋

Keeping the Offense Simple | BYU 5-2 Smoke & Mirrors? | On Texas Football | Tale of the Tape

According to Scipio Tex,  Byu is 3rd in the country at forcing turnovers.  

16 turnovers forced in 7 games.

Some similarities in style to Venables defensive strategies...

Scipio Tex wants Sark gameplan to keep offense simple.  Protect the ball.  

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn autocorrect

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

BYU has played a far worse schedule than even OU....and don't have near the speed as OU.

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

BYU is bad.. Average 302 yards per game on offense and give up 397 per game. Basically give up 100 more yards per game and are 5-2.. Slovis is statue and completes 57% of his passes. 3 away games BYU offense averages 297 yards and the defense gives up 453..If Texas takes care of the ball, this should be a relatively easy W. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle bus this year from Barton Creek Mall?  I haven’t seen anything.  Thx.

I believe the company that used to operate that shuttle went out of the business.

Edit to add.

Edited by TexEx15
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/25/2023 at 7:24 AM, South Austin said:

.., he might send an email frothing about a case and us the term "bulls--t," but has never spelled it out.  I still consider his use of the term "bulls--t" in emails to be positive growth. 

Base on the Mormons I know,  He’s actually spelling “bullsnot.”  

Edited by Daichee Bell

Few team notes from IT

Spoiler

This week Texas trades the Houston Cougars for the BYU Cougars, but before we look ahead to Saturday and Steve Sarkisian facing his alma mater, let’s look back to the too-close win over U of H.

Talkin’ practice

By now it’s common for Steve Sarkisian to speak highly of his team’s week of preparation. So far this year we’ve only heard of a couple of poor practices, one of them being immediately after Alabama.

Results from the practice field haven’t always consistently carried over for four quarters to the playing field. They had a good week of practice last week but struggled more than anyone expected against Houston. What happened?

Said a source, “It was a good week of practice. If you went by practice alone you would have felt Texas would handle U of H with ease. The fall-off was in-game. Between the game plan having issues and the players getting complacent up 21-0, they were able to come back. I guess they thought Houston would roll over. They have to understand it’s a four quarter game.”

So how was practice this week? “It was a good week, they practice hard, but they have to enter the game with the right mindset. Teams are coming in to kick their ass, not just play a game. They have to be ready for that for all four quarters.”

Positives from the week

The defense had a good week. Communication was said to be good between the different levels. Jaylan Ford was singled out by a source for having a particularly good week.

Some of the good week may be attributed to the defense running schemes it’s much more familiar with as Match Quarters sets up well with what BYU runs on offense.

Maalik Murphy was also singled out. Sark mentioned Thursday was the redshirt freshman quarterback’s best practice at Texas. We investigated that. Per a source, he did have a particularly good practice that included a score in two-minute drill against the first team defense.

During that drill he was quick to get the ball to the right receiver. He put faith in his guys to make plays and threw passes that gave them a chance. He showed good timing from snap to pass with the receivers.

More on Murphy

Per a source.

Strengths: He’s a confident player which leads to teammates having confidence in him. Confidence can bite him…some risk/reward there. He might throw a bad pick but he’s going come right back and believe he can get it back. Overall, his confidence is a plus. He trusts his receivers to make plays. He’ll let the deep or intermediate ball rip. His knowledge of the offense is good. He studied extra hard this week and he was already studious. He can put the ball wherever he wants to. On the run, fading away, stepping up, defenses still have to defend the whole field.

Weaknesses: He’s big in the pocket and stands tall, but he doesn’t always maneuver well within it. He’s inexperienced and a lot of things are downstream of that. He won’t always get through his reads as quickly as he needs to. His field vision will be tested this week. Knowing where the safeties and linebackers are coming from can be tricky. It’s one thing to see it in practice but another when you see a new look in a game. He’s going to have to read on the fly.

BYU is very good at jumping routes so it’s incumbent on Sark to craft a game plan that accounts for that but also doesn’t become to predictably run-heavy.

On Arch Manning

While there’s confidence in Murphy nobody truly knows how he’ll respond on Saturday. At the same time, every game is a must-win going forward. Sark cannot be patient and content to develop Murphy while Arch Manning is on the bench.

Yes, Arch is even younger than Murphy but he’s not the typical freshman when it comes to understanding the playbook and general football IQ.

He also had a good week of practice. He’s throwing the ball as well as ever. “He’s cutting it loose.” He has much more confidence than the typical backup freshman quarterback. He’ll also use his legs much more than Quinn Ewers or Murphy.

There are a couple of different ways this game could play out that lead to Manning taking his first snaps as a Longhorn.

Closing

Even with Murphy getting his first career start, this game sets up well for Texas on both sides of the ball. While BYU’s pass defense is opportunistic they can be beat with the sorts of athletes Texas has. If Texas hits a couple of shots the run game should open up more.

On defense, Texas is going to see a lot of what Houston ran but they should be prepared to defend it much better.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm pretty shocked how little buzz there is for this game and what a weak ticket market is for a top 10 Texas team (and I say that as someone with great seats listed on this board below face and not a single inquiry).  Pretty amazing.  Are we that fair weather that a hurt QB and a closer than expected game against Houston makes people lose interest? Our fans have always sucked but jeez.  You would think we are stuck in the middle of a 5 win Charlie Strong season.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm pretty shocked how little buzz there is for this game and what a weak ticket market is for a top 10 Texas team (and I say that as someone with great seats listed on this board below face and not a single inquiry).  Pretty amazing.  Are we that fair weather that a hurt QB and a closer than expected game against Houston makes people lose interest? Our fans have always sucked but jeez.  You would think we are stuck in the middle of a 5 win Charlie Strong season.

The average fan sees the loss to OU and a lackluster schedule to follow and says "same old Texas" and I've heard from multiple people myself. Honestly, there is no reason to give Sarkisian or the program the benefit of the doubt right now. I say that as someone who is driving up to be there tomorrow. If they keep winning, the fans will travel for the Big 12 CG and beyond, but no one is going to get up for BYU that isn't a diehard already.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, closetojumping said:

The average fan sees the loss to OU and a lackluster schedule to follow and says "same old Texas" and I've heard from multiple people myself. Honestly, there is no reason to give Sarkisian or the program the benefit of the doubt right now. I say that as someone who is driving up to be there tomorrow. If they keep winning, the fans will travel for the Big 12 CG and beyond, but no one is going to get up for BYU that isn't a diehard already.

I mean I hear you.  But it wasn't long ago we were celebrating being fucking bowl eligible.  Having relevant games in late October hasn't exactly been common over the last 13 years.   The entitlement and fair weather nature of our fan base is and always has been ridiculous. Just surprised there isn't more support as large as Austin has become with no other sports in town.   

• Hook 'Em 6