Texas vs tcu - 6:30pm on ABC

Pancho

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The defense was not supposed to be giving up chunk yardage and quick scores like they did. TCU can put up yards, but they've struggled to actually score for much of the year. The strategy made sense, but the guys just didn't play sound ball.

Defense has given up chunk yardage and quick scores all season long - OU, UH, KState, etc

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I just rewatched the 2nd half.  The only real issue I had with a Sark play call was the 3rd and 3 right before the long FG.   That was the drive we ran 8 straight times.  Once we got to 3rd and 3, they had 9 in the damn box.  Single coverage outside.   If we make an aggressive play call there and convert we put the game away.  Instead we ran right into it.

The biggest problem was the defense.   Hell if we just don't give up that long ass Savion pass (with the hurdle at the end) that gave them life up 20 we almost certainly win comfortably.  Kitan Crawford was terrible on that play.   Defense absolutely has to have some killer instinct in those situations.   We had so many chances on D to put that game away and couldn't do it.

Crawford shouldn’t see the field. He takes horrible angles of pursuit. Brooks and Ford were bad there as well but Crawford has to find a way to get him down. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Crawford is a liability every time he is on the field.

Hopefully we get Catalon back and Crawford doesn’t see the field… even in rotation. Thompson, Catalon, Taffe and Williams should be the only 4 we play.

More importantly, hopefully 23 isn’t hurt bad. He came up kinda lame and 3 played the last couple of possessions at nickel. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Quinn forced the ball to Worthy a few times in that game where others had favorable matchups. 

He also was clearly working through some pain on the sidelines. I think Sark did the right thing by taking as much air out of the ball as early as he did. The defense was not supposed to be giving up chunk yardage and quick scores like they did. TCU can put up yards, but they've struggled to actually score for much of the year. The strategy made sense, but the guys just didn't play sound ball.

After the shitty 3rd down throw to Worthy and clearly missing a wide open Whit underneath for an easy first day, it looked like Sark talking to Ewers about the play and Sark seemed to be showing with his hands Whit's underneath route they Ewers clearly didn't see. It was after that play and discussion that Sark went run heavy. I guess either Ewers said something about his shoulder or Sark knew Ewers was off, or both. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

And what about all the other times he’s done the same thing?

Weren't the problems in Houston and K State that he was being too aggressive with those big leads, which led to Texas making mistakes and letting the other team back into it?

Plus both teams torched the secondary

• Hook 'Em 2

I guess a silver lining in all the close wins is that for the majority of them we are not getting lucky after the ball is snapped. Texas finally has the playmakers to win games at the end. AD last night, and Sweat/Murphy last week to name a few. Now, if they could keep the switch turned on for 4 quarters then it would make all of our lives much easier on Saturdays. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Levi said:

Crawford shouldn’t see the field. He takes horrible angles of pursuit. Brooks and Ford were bad there as well but Crawford has to find a way to get him down. 

It was just a god awful initial angle.  And then he's either just incredibly slow or gave shit effort as Savion kept running.  It was bad.  This Texas team has a lot of top end talent on both sides of the ball but we still have holes all over the field where we are playing JAG's or worse.  And that play was a perfect example.

Edited by Skipper

14 hours ago, Slowinthehead said:

With Saban, it’s likely because he has the number one running back in the county every year on their depth chart. With Texas, it could be because they have a relatively unproven back sitting there at the beginning of the year along with the number one rb in the country and planned on playing them both equally. Some freshman running backs show it immediately, most don’t. Is it crazy to think, “let’s see what our number one recruit has the first couple of games?” Then if/when he doesn’t quite “get it,” we can go 70/30 with Brooks. I don’t think many people expected Brooks to be arguably the best running back in the country. 

Well I'm one of the few who definitely saw and knew he would be the number one back for us, but am shocked he's the best RB in the country (unfortunately tearing his ACL. Fuck.). I just think Sark is not as smart as he thinks he is. How many blown leads do we have? He tried to hire Mike Stoops before being told to sit the fuck down, and then he already has tape on Brooks, and he had 5 TD's last year, and wanted to "start" a frosh just to see how well he does. This ain't a smart man. I don't care how well a kid practices, he's doing against our defense every single day. The responsible thing would have been to start the guy who learned from 2 of the best we've had in recent years who had a lot of experience. Yes we're 9-1, but Sark has literally lucked into this record. Yes, sometimes you need luck, but if we played anyone ahead of us, and Bama now, we would get our skulls cracked in because of game management, as well as who he starts. We have Michael Taafe out there. Sark has been here 3 years, and he can't find literally anyone better than that? 

Anyway, as for my TED talk you could be right, which makes Sark a moron and shows again how out of touch he is with the guys he's coached under. It's like he learned nothing from Saban. We have a 5 star receiver who has shown flashes and barely plays because Sark just loooooooves letting any scrub back into it, sans BYU. 

3 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

How do you square this with the deep shots we were taking on our first drive of the third quarter that we started on our 2 yd line?

That brings up another disagreement with a lot of people about last night. Sark didn’t “turtle” in the second half, as we used that term with Tom Herman. He didn’t try to play conservative and play not to lose. In the third quarter he did the opposite and that’s my criticism of Sark. 

My criticism is that maybe we should have played more conservatively once we got a 20 point lead. Why are we playing a hurry up offense, throwing the ball downfield and snapping the ball with 20-25 seconds left on the play clock when we are ahead by 20 points?  We were playing like we were the team losing by 20. We seem to be the only team I’ve ever seen that runs the ball effectively in the first half and then can’t grind a defense down with the running game in the second half. 

We have to back them off. Just like last year they were coming up and being extremely physical with our receivers. At times the box was pretty heavy so getting them to back off was a must. However, Sark wasn't running the run action that he usually does to get safeties to come flying up. Those were straight dropbacks where optimum protection was key. You can tell because Brooks stayed in to block. It's as if Sark told Quinn to just air it out no matter what to get them thinking about it.

We left a lot of our playbook off the table to make sure Quinn stayed upright. We ran the ball 19 times(I count the WR screen as a run) to just 9 tosses in the second half. Something was clearly going on with QE so it seemed Sark was only using him when he had to.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

It was just a god awful initial angle.  And then he's either just incredibly slow or gave shit effort as Savion kept running.  It was bad.  This Texas team has a lot of top end talent on both sides of the ball but we still have holes all over the field where we are playing JAG's or worse.  And that play was a perfect example.

Kitan is one of our fastest, most athletically gifted DBs. Draw your own conclusions, but mine is he's simply a huge disappointment and not "swooft" mentally as he is a senior and has yet to put it together. He has made some excellent tackles flying downfield on kick coverages but aside from that, he's a net liability.

If we can’t figure out a play that guarantees us 1 hard then stop this best play caller nonsense. The red cat worked a few times now it’s obvious. Needed to throw or run something different then the same play. I also keep hearing every week that everyone is back but catalon isn’t out there? When is he really getting back?

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Well I'm one of the few who definitely saw and knew he would be the number one back for us, but am shocked he's the best RB in the country (unfortunately tearing his ACL. Fuck.). I just think Sark is not as smart as he thinks he is. How many blown leads do we have? He tried to hire Mike Stoops before being told to sit the fuck down, and then he already has tape on Brooks, and he had 5 TD's last year, and wanted to "start" a frosh just to see how well he does. This ain't a smart man. I don't care how well a kid practices, he's doing against our defense every single day. The responsible thing would have been to start the guy who learned from 2 of the best we've had in recent years who had a lot of experience. Yes we're 9-1, but Sark has literally lucked into this record. Yes, sometimes you need luck, but if we played anyone ahead of us, and Bama now, we would get our skulls cracked in because of game management, as well as who he starts. We have Michael Taafe out there. Sark has been here 3 years, and he can't find literally anyone better than that? 

Anyway, as for my TED talk you could be right, which makes Sark a moron and shows again how out of touch he is with the guys he's coached under. It's like he learned nothing from Saban. We have a 5 star receiver who has shown flashes and barely plays because Sark just loooooooves letting any scrub back into it, sans BYU. 

I don’t disagree with most of that. I’m a Sark fan, but will admit that based on this year alone, any skepticism is warranted. As I said in another comment, he may have learned some things from Saban, but it doesn’t look like he learned how to put a game away and completely crush the will of an opposing team. Which sucks. Hopefully he’ll keep learning as he goes and will realize that Texas is “the game” for everyone on the schedule and you can’t let teams hang around. It looks like he takes the large leads for granted and starts to tuck it in and practice things for later in the season when the current game isn’t over. 

That said, he’s still 9-1 right now. He’s been an escape artist, for better or worse, and if he can keep doing that, I’ll gladly take an escape in every remaining game. Obviously, I’d rather breathe easy and have a final score of 70-0 every week. I’m still optimistic, if not overly confident.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

We have to back them off. Just like last year they were coming up and being extremely physical with our receivers. At times the box was pretty heavy so getting them to back off was a must. However, Sark wasn't running the run action that he usually does to get safeties to come flying up. Those were straight dropbacks where optimum protection was key. You can tell because Brooks stayed in to block. It's as if Sark told Quinn to just air it out no matter what to get them thinking about it.

We left a lot of our playbook off the table to make sure Quinn stayed upright. We ran the ball 19 times(I count the WR screen as a run) to just 9 tosses in the second half. Something was clearly going on with QE so it seemed Sark was only using him when he had to.

To say their secondary started very aggressive is understating it, they were essentially going zero coverage on many first half plays. Absolutely insane given how much we outclassed them out wide. 

13 minutes ago, Slowinthehead said:

That said, he’s still 9-1 right now. He’s been an escape artist, for better or worse, and if he can keep doing that, I’ll gladly take an escape in every remaining game. Obviously, I’d rather breathe easy and have a final score of 70-0 every week. I’m still optimistic, if not overly confident.

who is that GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluto said:

To say their secondary started very aggressive is understating it, they were essentially going zero coverage on many first half plays. Absolutely insane given how much we outclassed them out wide. 

Yes! Because it worked last year. For all Xmans abilities once the ball is in his hands he is actually pretty easy to push around, and doesn't fight for the ball in the air. So TCU enacted the same plan they had last year it's just they didn't calculate the AD problem and also now we do a better job of getting X the ball in the quick game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

This might be the dumbest fucking post I have ever read......

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sonny tossed him under the bus with incredible swiftness.  Amazing self preservation skills. 

Nobody is firing Sonny after he took that pissant, shitstain school to the national fucking championship. That was their roof for all of eternity. He should have statue for doing that.