9-1

Huckleberry

43 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

I like Sark. I want him to win titles. 

Sark's overall coaching record at UT is 22-13 (35 games).

Texas has blown (or almost blown) leads of 2-3 scores in 7 games. That's 20% of all games Sark coached across three years.

Sark has a 3-4 record in these games. Granted, Sark has won the last three games, barely, all this year. But, is blowing such leads sustainable while trying to win titles? Especially in the SEC?

2021 OU

-- Led 41-23 with 3:31 left in 3Q

-- Outscored 32-7 to close out game

-- Lost game 55-48

2021 Okie State

-- Led 24-13 with 11:43 in 3Q

-- Outscored 19-0 to close out game

-- Lost game 32-24

If Sark closes out these two games, UT is 7-5 for season, not 5-7.

2022 Tech

-- Led 31-17 with 4:27 left in 3Q

-- Outscored 20-3 to close out game

-- Lost game 37-34

2022 Okie State

-- Led 34-24 with 2:10 left in 3Q

-- Outscored 17-0 to close out game

-- Lost game 41-34

If Sark closes out these two games, UT finishes 10-3, not 8-5

2023 Houston

-- Led 21-0 with 12:49 left in 1Q

-- Outscored 24-10 to close out game

-- Hung on for 31-24 win (Adios Cougar High!)

2023 K-State

-- Led 27-7 in final seconds of 3Q

-- Outscored 23-6 to close out game

-- Won 33-30 in OT. (Thanks Klieman!)

2023 TCU

-- Led 26-6 heading into 4Q

-- Outscored 20-3 to close out game

-- Hung on to win 29-26 (Thanks Sark for taking the 3 points due to illegal procedure on UT guy)

It's great that Sark and UT hung on to win these three games!

But, Texas has been outscored 155-29 to close out these "blown lead" games

-- Surely, someone (CDC?) at UT can see this pattern and discuss it with Sark.

Friends, we should all enjoy the 9-1 record.

But, unless Sark figures out how to not blow leads, 2023 might be the only time Sark is 9-1. 

I don’t give a single fuck about sark and the only reason I want him to have a championship is because he coaches the longhorns. If he got fired I would never think about him ever again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Something Herman didn’t have was NIL. He also didn’t recruit the trenches at all. Sark has those two things and an actual staff that can develop. 

He did recruit the trenches. Murphy, Sweat, Collins, Broughton, Sorrell were recruited by Herman. Murphy and Ojomo were his recruits too. As were Jones and Majors.

He didn’t recruit the depth that we hope Sark does. But as you said, he didn’t have NIL to bring home more, higher profile guys. Lack of NIL and his moronic tendencies were the bigger problem rather than not wanting big guys. And that’s not to say we didn’t have too many WRs.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Yeah I said that wrong. I meant a one loss OSU (in a tight one with UM) would probably stay above us. But maybe not.

Again, 0% chance, they are not passing over a 1 loss Big 12 champion Texas that beat the SEC finalist (at worst) for Ohio State who didnt even make their conf championship game. 

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

He did recruit the trenches. Murphy, Sweat, Collins, Broughton, Sorrell were recruited by Herman. Murphy and Ojomo were his recruits too. As were Jones and Majors.

He didn’t recruit the depth that we hope Sark does. But as you said, he didn’t have NIL to bring home more, higher profile guys. Lack of NIL and his moronic tendencies were the bigger problem rather than not wanting big guys. And that’s not to say we didn’t have too many WRs.

NIL would have helped with the people hating him problem too. Weird how money works. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don’t give a single fuck about sark and the only reason I want him to have a championship is because he coaches the longhorns. If he got fired I would never think about him ever again. 

JFC dude what is it with your constant shitting on the guy. He’s not perfect, no coach is, but we’re fucking 9-1 and moving in the right direction as a program. Did he pass on your invitation to the fucking tailgate.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

It all comes down to Florida state losing. The big 10 champ will likely be undefeated so they are in. The sec champ will likely either be undefeated or have 1 loss so they are in. The pac 12 champ will likely have 1 loss although 2 loss champ is possible. We make it in over a 2 loss pac 12 champ. If FSU loses 1 game to either Florida or Louisville, we will go ahead of them. That's it. Those are the scenarios.

And I shouldn't have to say this but any team who doesn't win their conference is NOT going ahead of us. That is asinine and stupid beyond belief. If we win out the worst we end up in the playoff rankings is 5th. Best is 3rd. 

I can think of a variety of highly plausible scenarios in which Texas gets in guaranteed:

1) Florida State loses to either Florida/ACC finalist (ACC misses playoff)

2) Oregon beats Washington but Oregon drops a game to OSU before they beat Washington (PAC misses playoff)

Less likely but plausible scenarios:

3) Georgia loses to Bama and Bama loses to Auburn prior to that result (SEC misses playoff)

4) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over Bama by virtue of a H2H road win (assuming Washington wins out, SEC misses the playoff)

5) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over a 1 loss Pac 12 Champ Oregon by virtue of a H2H road win against the SEC champ (PAC misses playoff)

Very unlikely scenario:

6) Ohio St/Mich winner loses the Big 10 champ game to Iowa (lol) (Big 10 misses playoff)

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Things we do at an elite level offensively.

1) Intermediate passing game

2) Screen game to RBs

Things we are above average but inconsistent

1) deep shots

2) WR blocking on WR screen game

Things we are below average at

1) run blocking

2) 3rd and short predictable play-calling.

Sarkisian wants to salt games away in the 2nd half with the running game with an OL that is not capable of delivering consistently.

He needs to figure out that playing not to lose will only cause you to lose.

He tried to throw early in the second half. 8 out of our first 11 plays in the second half were passes. Both drives ended in punts.

I get wanting to lean on our strength (receivers), but if he would have been throwing on those final few drives and stopping the clock people would be on here bitching about “why is he being stubborn and not running the ball the damn ball??”.

There is a happy medium somewhere. We just need to find it. Maybe the answer is a more creative running game (jet sweeps, etc) to try to ice these games instead of asking Hayden Conner to drive a dude off the ball.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

The main thing is our OL still isn't fixed.  It is better but not fixed.  The DB(mainly safety) issue is lingering problem.

This is correct, but incomplete.

QBs are also very young, and Sark HAS made some boneheaded calls.

12 hours ago, Hard Times said:

If this team had VY, Casey Studdard and Micheal Griffin I wouldn't be so concerned. And what does 9-1 really mean when the B12 sucks donkey shit this year? I don't think anyone projected the B12 to suck so bad either. This year just may be the worst B12 ever, especially when adding the newcomers.

Funny. You just listed 3 guys from that team who are QB, OL and DB, respectively.

aka the 3 areas where we're youngest/weakest.

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Offensive line run blocking needs to get better and be more dominant in 2nd half of games.  Sark has to improve on game management too.  

yep

11 hours ago, Fico said:

Or maybe… hear me out… a lot of the most talented players on our team are young. They are really talented but they tend to do dumb shit and, like young players do, they fuck up more than they “should.” We like, most young teams, play up and down to levels of competition. Unlike last year we have mostly found ways to win. That is maturity and will be critical to the programs make up in years to come.

This idea the we are crazy loaded at every position and should blow people out every game is crazy. This isn’t 2005. 

Nobody in the country is regularly doing that. 

We are a very good team, they still has room to improve. 

We are 9-1 and have the best win YTD in the country.

yep

But the last few games haven't been fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

I just went back and checked and his 2018 class, which was the 3rd ranked class, was extremely top heavy with skill guys compared Sarks. His Oline recruiting was never anything to write home about and it was coached by Hand which made it even worse. The dline was good but a lot of the guys were projects with Sweat being the only lower rated guy that came in way above expectations. Coburn was highly rated and was a Herman guy. I think Coburn, Ojomo and Collins were his only true big signs that panned out with the rest fading. Maybe NIL  would have helped change that. But the notion that NIL can make a coach better isn’t all the way true. We just watched a guy for 3 years straight up buy the best dline and they haven’t done anything of substance in terms of wins. You still have to develop and put players in positions to win. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

What did we realistically expect from this team this year? This team is a click ahead of where most people thought it would be in a year where our ceiling was supposed to be win the Big 12-- no CFP realities.

Right or wrong, people changed their expectations after the Bama win. They saw what the ceiling was and they adjusted accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

What did we realistically expect from this team this year? This team is a click ahead of where most people thought it would be in a year where our ceiling was supposed to be win the Big 12-- no CFP realities.

Alabama win brainwashed the unwashed masses. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean, Bama vs Middle Tennessee and USF should have alerted everyone that the Bama win at the time was half gold and half fools gold. To give Bama credit, they've actually gotten better week over week against quality opponents whereas we seem to have stagnated (including an injury to our QB, fair or unfair). I think the one game that Bama played like crap past the early season was the arky game because arky suuuuucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I mean, Bama vs Middle Tennessee and USF should have alerted everyone that the Bama win at the time was half gold and half fools gold. To give Bama credit, they've actually gotten better week over week against quality opponents whereas we seem to have stagnated (including an injury to our QB, fair or unfair). I think the one game that Bama played like crap past the early season was the arky game because arky suuuuucks.

I mean, we are barely a month removed from Bama beating A&M by 6 and 3 weeks removed from the Arkansas game you mentioned. Their wins against LSU and Tennessee (both by 14 points) are solid but we know what Tennessee is now.

They have gotten much better but the notion they have just blown everyone out and looked amazing since the Texas/USF stretch isn’t entirely true.

• Hook 'Em 3

Or maybe our team just matches up well with Bama for whatever reason. We looked amazing against them last year as well.

Or maybe Sark just knows something from having been a coach there.

It doesn't really matter now. Just got to grind out three wins and let the chips fall where they may.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So, we do need to give credit where credit is due.  Sark was only planning on giving away one FG attempt yesterday.  But then our tackle intervened by committing a false start, and saved us from Sark giving away the FG.  If all Sark does is take the points every single time when ahead in the game the rest of the year, he will have improved significantly.  

How bone-headed a man can he be?  

Can he go even one full-game taking the points every time? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

We still have a ton of shortcomings and we tend to lose intensity 

•  0-line- Our center and LG are weak in the run game and our RG is strong but busts some assignments here and there. We struggle with consistency and cannot just line up and run on a team when we want to.
  • Receivers- We have one receiver that catches everything but loafs, and another receiver who is dynamic with the ball in his hands but gets pushed around by DBs and never wins a physical contest with a defender. Every game they take turns trying to see who can get a receiver killed by missing blocks.
  • TEs- Our superstar TE struggles blocking.
  •  RBs- One RB is nails, another one is big and physical but tip-toes and doesn't run with good feet, another one is too lite, and the other one is fast but doesn't run with patience.
  • D-line- Our starting tackles are monsters against the run, but as TCU showed if you wait til they sub out you can go with pace to keep them on the bench and run on the backups. Ends cannot get home with any kind of consistency. We have no natural pass rushers.
  • LBs- One is slow when in conflict. The other one busts assignments on the regular. The young dude is fast and physical but doesn't know shit yet and is constantly flying all over the place but is wrong often.
  • CBs- Watts is physical but slow. Brooks doesn't challenge receivers enough allowing QBs to throw perfectly on rhythm, and loses inside leverage constantly. Other guys are young. Barron is a stud but hurt.
  • Safeties- Slow. Late. Bad angles. Only make plays when the call confuses the QB or a deflection or such. None have made a break on a ball that was thrown well.

Over the course of a 60 min football game each one of these rears its ugly head. All of them showed up against TCU. They are who they are. Accept it.

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, BeardIP said:

10 regular season wins and an appearance in the Big 12 title game was the minimum for me.  Unless we shit the bed the next two weeks we are still on pace.  

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

People here see the recruiting rankings and don't understand that it means potential. A lot of these kids don't know shit and have just been getting by on pure athletic ability. We still have a ton of shortcomings and we tend to lose intensity once we get up on a team.
 0-line- Our center and LG are weak in the run game and our RG is strong but busts some assignments here and there. We struggle with consistency and cannot just line up and run on a team when we want to.
Receivers- We have one receiver that catches everything but loafs, and another receiver who is dynamic with the ball in his hands but gets pushed around by DBs and never wins a physical contest with a defender. Every game they take turns trying to see who can get a receiver killed by missing blocks.
TEs- Our superstar TE struggles blocking.
 RBs- One RB is nails, another one is big and physical but tip-toes and doesn't run with good feet, another one is too lite, and the other one is fast but doesn't run with patience.
D-line- Our starting tackles are monsters against the run, but as TCU showed if you wait til they sub out you can go with pace to keep them on the bench and run on the backups. Ends cannot get home with any kind of consistency. We have no natural pass rushers.
LBs- One is slow when in conflict. The other one busts assignments on the regular. The young dude is fast and physical but doesn't know shit yet and is constantly flying all over the place but is wrong often.
CBs- Watts is physical but slow. Brooks doesn't challenge receivers enough allowing QBs to throw perfectly on rhythm, and loses inside leverage constantly. Other guys are young. Barron is a stud but hurt.
Safeties- Slow. Late. Bad angles. Only make plays when the call confuses the QB or a deflection or such. None have made a break on a ball that was thrown well.

Over the course of a 60 min football game each one of these rears its ugly head. All of them showed up against TCU. They are who they are. Accept it.

In that case, time to give Sark a lifetime extension for being 9-1 with this collection of scrubs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, immamac said:

NIL would have helped with the people hating him problem too. Weird how money works. 

LOL.  No it wouldn't have.  Literally 100% of the people that interacted with him daily or weekly (or in the case of donors, intermittently) hated him.  He was an absolute jackass.

11 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

JFC dude what is it with your constant shitting on the guy. He’s not perfect, no coach is, but we’re fucking 9-1 and moving in the right direction as a program. Did he pass on your invitation to the fucking tailgate.

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

LOL.  No it wouldn't have.  Literally 100% of the people that interacted with him daily or weekly (or in the case of donors, intermittently) hated him.  He was an absolute jackass.

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous.

You think all those players at TAMU love jimbo and don't think he's a jackass? 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

10 regular season wins and an appearance in the Big 12 title game was the minimum for me.  Unless we shit the bed the next two weeks we are still on pace.  

Yup... and we have a very realistic 11 win season ahead of us so all in all, as painful and stressful this season has been, I'm thankful that we're eking it out.  Even if we win out then go to and win the Big 12 Championship, I can handle us somehow not ending up in the playoffs... I'd be fine going to a bowl game, beating another team and ending up 13-1.  I think all of us would have given our left nut before this season for that.   I'm not going to stress over scenarios, what ifs, etc. and realize that all of that is worthless until we win the next game and the next game, etc.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Just now, immamac said:

You think all those players at TAMU love jimbo and don't think he's a jackass? 

I'm not talking about the players dude.  I'm talking about everyone other than the player.  Pretty much every player group in the history of football blames the coaches if the team isn't successful, if they personally aren't successful, if they don't think they are playing enough, etc. etc.   It's never their fault.  Maybe you should take that into consideration when filtering the information you get.

Just now, Skipper said:

I'm not talking about the players dude.  I'm talking about everyone other than the player.  Pretty much every player group in the history of football blames the coaches if the team isn't successful, if they personally aren't successful, if they don't think they are playing enough, etc. etc.   It's never their fault.  Maybe you should take that into consideration when filtering the information you get.

You do realize that it was that the admin couldn't stand him and there was a mass exodus of players in the portal and decommitting that did him in right? 

He was always a shit head, but he recruited lights out and won a bunch of games. He didn't become more of a shit head as time went on, the portal happened and then covid happened. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, immamac said:

You do realize that it was that the admin couldn't stand him and there was a mass exodus of players in the portal and decommitting that did him in right? 

He was always a shit head, but he recruited lights out and won a bunch of games. He didn't become more of a shit head as time went on, the portal happened and then covid happened. 

I mean I think we're saying the same thing when I noted pretty much everyone that interacted with him hated him.   

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

He didn't recruit lights out and NIL is everywhere. You can get the same dollars at other big time programs so if you hate the coach just go to Ohio State.

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

In that case, time to give Sark a lifetime extension for being 9-1 with this collection of scrubs.

I get what you are saying but we olds need to wake up. Gone are the days when we could roll out of bed and beat TCU or Iowa State. Kids aren't willing to wait at big time programs anymore. They will leave and go somewhere else. So there is more parity in college football unless you are one of those teams at the very tippy top that has been stacking talent for eternity. Texas is starting to get back to that but there are still holes that end up affecting games. For example, Georgia doesn't have to panic grab receivers. Our most clutch receiver was a guy they let go of. That's how stacked they are. They shrugged their shoulders at him leaving.