Pliosaur Discovery

Tailgate

34 minutes ago, Pods said:

Very cool specimen and I'm going to use it as an excuse to talk about exploding whales, since that's likely what happened to this specimen as well.

Things that die and wind up in water go through a process called bloat and float. The decomposition gasses build up, and bloat the carcass, which then floats around, continuing to decay and produce more gasses.

This is why the mob uses cement overshoes and why @Nicole44 will soon start using something similar on Rainey St.

Eventually, the pressure builds up enough to explode and the carcass sinks.

Here's a whale carcass that is close to rupturing.

image.thumb.png.f55f121d8cd03b9636d5c5535b2aa967.png

And here are some gifs of what this looks like when it explodes. I'm going to spoiler them, because although it's very cool, the explosions are violent and fucking disgusting.

Hide contents

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem%26%26

3860128faf4d00ab319ac58bb50c1728.gif&f=1

9a17a2238eec42aecbb90f308c06c431.gif

I bet that smells fantastic. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I love this site. Never what know you will learn or weird shit you will see.

For instance I recently learned a type of Lemur (aye-aye's) have one long as finger that serves as a hook to pull termites out of mounds. I asked if it was the middle finger and it was not well taken. But in nature they look more like rats.

image.jpeg.1d544d15e0f19ef46cee1533196a1ad5.jpeg

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I asked if it was the middle finger and it was not well taken.

Coke scoop?

1 hour ago, Pods said:

Very cool specimen and I'm going to use it as an excuse to talk about exploding whales, since that's likely what happened to this specimen as well.

Things that die and wind up in water go through a process called bloat and float. The decomposition gasses build up, and bloat the carcass, which then floats around, continuing to decay and produce more gasses.

This is why the mob uses cement overshoes and why @Nicole44 will soon start using something similar on Rainey St.

Eventually, the pressure builds up enough to explode and the carcass sinks.

Here's a whale carcass that is close to rupturing.

image.thumb.png.f55f121d8cd03b9636d5c5535b2aa967.png

And here are some gifs of what this looks like when it explodes. I'm going to spoiler them, because although it's very cool, the explosions are violent and fucking disgusting.

Reveal hidden contents

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem%26%26

3860128faf4d00ab319ac58bb50c1728.gif&f=1

9a17a2238eec42aecbb90f308c06c431.gif

The image and those gifs would be right at home in the holy shit thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Aye-ayes are cool and ugly-ass mf'ers. My avatar out front shoulda told ya (actually the ringtail lemur is from the completely opposite end of Madagascar and inhabits a vastly different biome, but still). And yes, it is the middle finger, and it looks a lot weirder than that rendering. ;)

Everybody hates Duke basketball and that's cool, but the Duke Lemur Center is an amazing place that has studied all these fascinating critters for 50+ years, and I'm proud to be a donor and supporter there. Only mentioning it because you actually brought up an aye-aye, which was pretty awesome. So there's my contribution to the weird shit that makes Surly so great. 

Hell yeah, Duke is a great school!

It was my wife who taught it to me. Wanted to share to the learning of Surly.

Sloths carry bacteria and fungal colonies that keep them safe from other critters. Slow moving bastards are their Bio-4 system. And they are pretty damn cute.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

For instance I recently learned a type of Lemur (aye-aye's) have one long as finger that serves as a hook to pull termites out of mounds. I asked if it was the middle finger and it was not well taken. But in nature they look more like rats.

And native Madagascar people do not like them, perhaps because they are the creepiest little fuckers you could dream up. Just imagine hearing a Tap-Tap-Tap while walking through the forest at night and seeing this freak staring back at you, long finger extended menacingly.

Unfortunately, that's probably part of the reason they're endangered, jn addition, of course, to Madagascar's forests vanishing.

Oh, badass skull though.

20090507__AyeAyeMomp1.jpg

Edited by hookem2010
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

all mammals can swim. And that's my contribution.

(cue some asshole with the one exception to that rule)

One?

Chimpanzees, gorillas, porcupines, rhinos, hippos, and giraffes are some examples of animals that can't swim

Also had no idea hippos don't swim

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, locodos said:

One?

Chimpanzees, gorillas, porcupines, rhinos, hippos, and giraffes are some examples of animals that can't swim

2 hours ago, locodos said:

One?

Bullshit. your AI is wrong.

12 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

Aye-ayes are cool and ugly-ass mf'ers. My avatar out front shoulda told ya (actually the ringtail lemur is from the completely opposite end of Madagascar and inhabits a vastly different biome, but still). And yes, it is the middle finger, and it looks a lot weirder than that rendering. ;)

Everybody hates Duke basketball and that's cool, but the Duke Lemur Center is an amazing place that has studied all these fascinating critters for 50+ years, and I'm proud to be a donor and supporter there. Only mentioning it because you actually brought up an aye-aye, which was pretty awesome. So there's my contribution to the weird shit that makes Surly so great. 

Also, I really think it’s cool AF when people like things like lemurs, so it’s super cool you support the Duke Lemur center. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Sloths can swim.

My kids taught me that.

I googled it… and BBC had it in their planet earth series.

Did you know that hippos CAN'T swim? They just run and jump along the bottom when they're in water.

(Damn - someone beat me to it)

Edited by ztejas

On 12/10/2023 at 10:17 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Sounds like we’ve found this man’s spirit animal.

IMG_9632.thumb.jpeg.54c6c356424a8ac8f21f6c9da7fe3d99.jpeg

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Exploding whales?  Hell yeah...skip ahead to about 1:45 if you don't all the details.

I've mentioned this before... My father in law worked at ODOT when this happened. The guy responsible for the 'removal' was literally the guy who was absent the day they discussed the problem. 

Great place for a picnic now though... They really should have a sushi place nearby. 

image.png.252f2902d8963dc436fd8364e165fb01.png

Edited by NWBuck
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Exploding whales?  Hell yeah...skip ahead to about 1:45 if you don't all the details.

8 hours ago, NWBuck said:

I've mentioned this before... My father in law worked at ODOT when this happened. The guy responsible for the 'removal' was literally the guy who was absent the day they discussed the problem. 

Great place for a picnic now though... They really should have a sushi place nearby. 

Remember those Chappell show skits, 'When keeping it real goes wrong" ?

I feel like this is one of those situations in which you could do something like that with  'When cowboy engineering goes wrong".

I just love that there was no adult in the room here. I imagine it went down something like this:

- Is it too big to move?

Yes.

- What can we do?

Well I have dynamite. We can blow it up.

- Cool. How much do we need?

🤷‍♂️

-  Could anyone get hurt?

Not if we move them back away from the explosion.

- How far

The dunes. That seems about right

- Are you sure that's far enough?

🤷‍♂️ 

- Let'er rip! Oh and make sure we film this shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Remember those Chappell show skits, 'When keeping it real goes wrong" ?

I feel like this is one of those situations in which you could do something like that with  'When cowboy engineering goes wrong".

I just love that there was no adult in the room here. I imagine it went down something like this:

- Is it too big to move?

Yes.

- What can we do?

Well I have dynamite. We can blow it up.

- Cool. How much do we need?

🤷‍♂️

-  Could anyone get hurt?

Not if we move them back away from the explosion.

- How far

The dunes. That seems about right

- Are you sure that's far enough?

🤷‍♂️ 

- Let'er rip! Oh and make sure we film this shit. 

It's "hold my beer" writ large.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NWBuck said:

According to FIL, there wasn't a discussion about "how", just "who".

I guess George had some extra explosives from a previous project, and did some sort of calculation about "x amount blows up a stump, so 100x amount should take care of things".

The Red Green Show - Characters | TVmaze

On 12/12/2023 at 1:30 AM, NWBuck said:

My wife and I were visiting our daughter (no pics of either one, assholes) in Eugene and drove over to Florence for a day.  That park is nice, but two things should be noted here: 1) It isn't at the site of the explosion, but about a half mile away across the dunes and the Siuslaw River, and 2) It's next door to the Florence wastewater treatment plant.  There were no odors from the plant, but some from the rotting vegetation and sea life along the river.

I think that the smiling whale on the sign is a nice, whimsical touch.

• Hook 'Em 1