How did/are you dealing with it?

MissingInAction

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I watched the game with a friend and her family, so I only had 6 beers or so. Once a few things continued to happen I began to prepare myself for the worst. 

The last 47 seconds gave me hope.

Morgan Freeman Quote GIF

The Dog was with me. She can sense stress so she was at my side which helped alot. 

At the end I laid down and stared at the ceiling for about an hour then slept.

Had whiskey been involved things would have been much different.

So I'm curious how the rest of you coped during and after.

• Hook 'Em 1

Only 4 teams in the whole country played in the CFP….. o so close to being 1 of 2 still playing.    Aggy is having to convince each other that they are trending upwards and at the same time they are looking up at big brother once again.   How can you be anything but crazy happy???  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I was pissed off for a lot of the game, not because Texas was losing, but because Texas was getting abused by their passing game and was playing way worse than they should have played.

Then when the miracle opportunity presented itself at the end of the game, it was a gut punch because it would have been an absolutely legendary comeback and it didn’t materialize.

After the game, it was easier to handle because I realized Washington played great, and their QB and receivers were fantastic. The Curry fumbled punt and Colt injury stung more. I’d put this loss similar to the Gideon interception drop in terms of how I feel.  

It is similar to the tech game in the fact that we beat ourselves. All the poor play and we still had a chance to win and then we have extremely poor play calling. Tech should have never gotten the ball back and we shouldn't have either last night. Finally another team was handing the game to us and we still didn't capitalize. These opportunities for a NC don't come that often. We needed to take advantage.

I am extremely grateful for where we are vs the last 15 years wandering the fucking desert like Clark looking for a tow truck but got damn it would have been nice if our wrs or dbs knew where the ball was half the game. How do we jump offsides so much? Butt fumble? So frustrating. 

The landscape has changed and we are in pole position to take advantage. Hope this is just the beginning. Hook em. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Every time I start to get bummed, I remember that this was pretty much a lagniappe.  We were a good team, won the conference, showed a good deal of promise for the future and we seem to have a really solid human being and coach for a coach.  Good shit.

We had a bit of luck or something to even get in the CFP, with FSU absolutely shitting the bed and UGa getting a case of the squirts against Bama.

Washington is an offensive buzzsaw with Penix and those receivers.  I had the barest hope that our secondary would play out of their minds and the rush would get home, although there wasn't much objective evidence to support either of those ideas.

I haven't seen Meatchicken play much this year, just glimpses.  But based on the Alabama game, they may have a tad more success with their pass rush and secondary, but I still think Penix will carve them up.  I get the notion of running all game and eating up the clock, but Penixco only needs a couple of minutes to score.

• Hook 'Em 4

I hate it for guys like JWhitt and Christian Jones. Especially Whittington. He was my favorite player the last couple of years.

I’m not sitting around pouting or anything. I’d love to have seen one more UT football game this season, but that won’t happen. I quit getting wrapped up in the games a long time ago.

It was crazy to watch the last few minutes of game. Most of the game, Washington put on an unbelievable clinic throwing and catching. It’s crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

You damn lawyers and your fancy words. It was a lagniappe to learn a new word by reading your post I guess. Fuck I am stupid. I hate you for pointing it out. 

Hookem

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

It’s weird because normally I’d be mad or looking to blame the coaches or to a lesser extent players. I don’t feel that way. It sucks we didn’t move on.

But I mean Washington is the  better more experienced team and I hope they skull fuck Harbaugh and Michigan. Period. They’ve been slighted all year long, Washington has, and largely overlooked.

We are building something great. The future is bright and we are on the right track. Can’t wait for next year. We played imo the best team in the country and had a chance in the final seconds to win and beat them. I feel relaxed. Don’t have to hire a new HC or start over like so many teams. Don’t have to worry about the roster. Not even worried about QB.

What really sucks is football (NFL) will be over in a month and other than the draft it will be a void that won’t be filled until the season starts in 2024 when we play in a new conference with new challenges. Can’t wait. 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼 Magical year. Seemed impossible and yet we got so close. Hope we can all feel good about that and be excited about the future. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just remember. We are not those inbred fucks in College Station. yeah I said it.

TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!1

Just now, Nicole44 said:

It’s weird because normally I’d be mad or looking to blame the coaches or to a lesser extent players. I don’t feel that way. It sucks we didn’t move on. But I mean Washington is there better more experienced team and I hope they skullfuck Harbaugh and Michigan. Period. They’ve been slighted all year long, Washington has, and largely overlooked. We are building something great. The future is bright and we are on the right track. Can’t wait for next year. We played imo the best team in the country and had a chance in the final seconds to win and beat them. I feel relaxed. Don’t have to hire a new HC or start over like so many teams. Don’t have to worry about the roster. Not even worried about QB. What really sucks is football (NFL) will be over in a month and other than the draft it will be a void that won’t be filled until the season starts in 2024 when we play in a new conference with new challenges. Can’t wait. 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼 Magical year. Seemed impossible and yet we got so close. Hope we can all feel good about that and be excited about the future. 

Are you not supposed to be on Rainey Street?

• Haha 2

I wish we would have lost by 10 or something. Losing hope, then the final drive and knowing we had 4 shots at the endzone, I let too much hope creep back in. Been a couple times today sitting at my desk, taking a break from work shit, that last play would pop in my head.

b42a480a80b21e478868bb8ee2875e38.gif

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Washington was just better, no reason to cry about it.
The way I see it is they are good enough to beat us if we don't play a near perfect game, and that's exactly what happened...we made more mistakes than they did.

I don't think they are a better team, they were just better Monday night.

It’s weird because normally I’d be mad or looking to blame the coaches or to a lesser extent players. I don’t feel that way. It sucks we didn’t move on.

But I mean Washington is the  better more experienced team and I hope they skull fuck Harbaugh and Michigan. Period. They’ve been slighted all year long, Washington has, and largely overlooked.

We are building something great. The future is bright and we are on the right track. Can’t wait for next year. We played imo the best team in the country and had a chance in the final seconds to win and beat them. I feel relaxed. Don’t have to hire a new HC or start over like so many teams. Don’t have to worry about the roster. Not even worried about QB.
What really sucks is football (NFL) will be over in a month and other than the draft it will be a void that won’t be filled until the season starts in 2024 when we play in a new conference with new challenges. Can’t wait. Magical year. Seemed impossible and yet we got so close. Hope we can all feel good about that and be excited about the future. 
Don't forget winter workouts (striated glutes and forearms!) Spring practice and then the spring game. The real off season doesn't happen until the players go home for the summer...that's when it really sets in for me.

I’m just sad the season is over. We looked like a team that hadn’t played in a month and their QB was fucking amazing. We sat in 333 which was majority Washington fans. They were loud and somewhat lippy. I took some solace in the fact that everyone of them was shitty diamonds for the last minute of the game. 

not great. i was like most of you with the game - penix was great. I don't think our secondary played as bad as people think (and their receivers are good, but IMO it was really all Penix that puts them over the top. And their Oline is excellent). they were just good and they deserved to win

But then we get his massive opp for redemption and can't even find a single good pass on 4 tries into the endzone. thats just heartbreaking for me. I still cannot fathom how you F it up that bad. I would have thought this is drilled in your 2 minute practice in some capacity, and/or scenario practice on tries from the 10 to 20 yard line. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952hg2nwr8dunw6jsf14u

That first down at the end with what I estimated was three shots told me it was in the bag. I am still in denial that it did not happen but for the first time in a long time this one hurts the players more than any of us fans. I think about that when I start to get angry.

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm fine with it. Can't win em all. Plus, we accomplished the main goal this season which was to win the Big 12 on our way out and give the middle finger to Yormark. Was cool that we had a good enough resume to make the CFP. We will be scary good(maybe even a dark horse) for next season. Nice to see we had a meaningful bowl game and are finally starting to reach the promise land after wandering the wasteland for over a decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

As a Michigan fan having similar experiences the past two years, I know how all you Texas fans feel. 

You guys had an amazing season. Won the conference, made it to the playoffs. You have a great group coming back next year and the future is bright. 

Just don't make the playoffs again next year and lose to TCU. 

Hook 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not having to "deal" w/ anything.

Texas had a great season and fell one play short of the NC game; far exceeding my expectations for the program.   This team has as good a chance as any power team in the nation to make another NC run next year.

I'm very fired up for the future. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I'll restate something I already have multiple times.

Winning the last Big XII before moving on was awesome.

Playing an amazing game against a very, very good Washington team was inspiring. It was bonus time for me. I was glad to see a great game. I was glad to be there, literally me being at the game and the team making it.

I have some issues with the coaching in the game.

As for how I'm dealing with it.

These are a group of 18-22ish year old college football players and 30-60ish year old coaches.

I don't have any control over what happens on the field other than being there and cheering them on in support.

I was and did.

That's all I can do, and it's hard to see on the losing side, but it was a fantastic game.

So, I enjoyed the party before the game that immamac put on, enjoyed the game itself, didn't love the result but viewed it as bonus time to start.

I worked through the Bama game in 09. Enjoyed the USC game in 05. Was at the Washington game in 23/24. Let that set it, I personally got the privilege of being at all 3, win or lose, it's a privilege to be able to afford and attend those games. I'm grateful that I could and did.

How am I dealing with it? I've got to work today and had to work yesterday.

So I am.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I could not go to the internets until today. Playing from behind in the first half and getting penalized as of it was a shit 12 conference game was an indicator of what was going to happen. Hopefully the dark clouds will go away soon but I am still dealing with the loss, sigh.

10 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I’m just sad the season is over. 

This is actually my predominant feeling right now.  It's been 2009 since we had such a good product to watch on the field, and to have been playing for something meaningful late in the season.  I really enjoyed this group of young men led by a head coach who's not a fucking moron and/or a huge prick.  I had so much fun this year that I feel sad the season is over (though my liver is probably thankful).    

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I didnt expect this season. We had a wonderful season. If youd told me before the season thats how it ended I wouldnt have ever thought pissible. Players played their ass off!! Sark fi outstanding.
Now get to the last 4 plays.. FUCK
Like the johnny cash movie if u had only 4 plays left in your life and it all came down to those 4 plays you could pick, how in tha fuck is one of the best offensive minds in college football gonna come up with that set of plays?
I know they had to call plays quickly but got damn it no imaginatin no back shoulder lazers, no imagination. All brakes no gas
Fuck, pisses me off just rethinking it!!
Oh well what tha fuck do I know!
Hook em boyz!!! What a ride. Thsnks sark and team.

• Hook 'Em 2

Done with my 24 hour mourning and moving on. Told myself a while back that I'm too old to be angry or even upset with a conference championship and top 5 type season. These types of seasons are more rare than we want to believe. Yes we were close to even more but that's a good thing, not a bad thing. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Done with my 24 hour mourning and moving on. Told myself a while back that I'm too old to be angry or even upset with a conference championship and top 5 type season. These types of seasons are more rare than we want to believe. Yes we were close to even more but that's a good thing, not a bad thing. 

Very well said.

I’m done too, woke up feeling “hashtag blessed” Covid QBs are done and our QB will be one of the tops in the country next year. This game hinges on the best QB play most games. I like where we are headed in 2024 through at least 2026 at the QB spot. Best time to be a horn since 2004-2009.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Thanks... I hated the fact we had to play UT last year; this was worse. Most of us know our place; we are a good program that can compete every 10 years or so but by no means are anything resembling a blueblood. You guys are, and my guess is you'll be back in the playoffs next year while we'll be 9-3, 8-4 or so.

I hope there'll be an opportunity to welcome y'all to Husky Stadium some time. That's a home-and-home most of us have always wanted to see.

Can't speak for all of Surly Nation, but I'm rooting like hell for the Huskies against Michigan.  And I've always generally liked the football team and the university (it's currently my daughter's top choice).  But a football game, especially one with so much on the line, will always bring out the barbs, hopefully most are good-natured.  Appreciate you and the rest of the Washington fans who joined in the pre-game discussion and endured some of Surly's finest.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Can't speak for all of Surly Nation, but I'm rooting like hell for the Huskies against Michigan.  And I've always generally liked the football team and the university (it's currently my daughter's top choice).  But a football game, especially one with so much on the line, will always bring out the barbs, hopefully most are good-natured.  Appreciate you and the rest of the Washington fans who joined in the pre-game discussion and endured some of Surly's finest.  

Oh yeah, lol - I've been to enough games to know what crawls out of the woodwork at times. I've been fortunate enough to have attended a ton of road games and almost always have had a great time (even at OU sucks, sorry). Miami and tOSU x2 were notable exceptions - Horns fans' descriptions of your trip to Columbus brought back memories. 

One of the best CFB games I've ever been to was our loss to UT in the 2001 Holiday Bowl - caught some stick from some UT fans following but it was in good fun and the UT fans around us were great.

The most Seattle thing ever will be to lose to UM on Monday, then watch them have to vacate the title years layer with no champion - so that is what assuredly will happen. 

(If your daughter comes to UW she'll have a great time in an amazing city and get a good education - UW and UT are extremely similar in that respect.)

Edited by flatdawgs
Idoit typo
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

(If your daughter comes to UW she'll have a great time in an amazing city and get a good education - UW and UT are extremely similar in that respect.)

Very well aware.  I've spent a fair amount of time in Seattle and love that town.  I have some family there (my dad's side of the family is from the PNW), and a cousin who works for the Seahawks.

• Like 1

My favorite schools are as follows

1. Texas
2. Michigan
3. Virginia
4. Washington
5. Florida

All public ivy & AAU members and previously were all in different conferences till 2024 showed up.  Ergo it sucks because I wanted Texas vs Michigan for all the marbles but as long as Alabama lost I am good.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2