Bye bye, Sports Illustrated?

Deej

16 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

si has been dead to me since they put a soccer guy on the cover the week the Rockets won their first championship--and we all know the Knicks would have been on the cover if they had won. I had been waiting my whole life--including the first year I got a subscription for Christmas at age 9--to have a Houston championship team on the cover and they fucked me.  Just look at this shit. Rockets championship below soccer and on par with an old-ass Ted Williams fishing. Since then, I haven't even picked up an issue in a doctor's office waiting room. Fuck them. And good riddance. 

image.thumb.png.4a19ccf83c86c2f380cce2a368c591e3.png

From Hell's heart, I stab at thee

From_hell%2527s_heart.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 2

The commemorative issue that SI made, after and for the ‘05 NC, had a couple historical team pictures. My Dad is just to the right of a kneeling DKR, as they were awaiting the results of the coin toss, for the ‘63 Texas vs OU game.

Texas was #2 and OU was #1 going into that game. It’s currently the last time both teams have played as #1 vs #2, in the history of that rivalry.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Compare this to swimsuit issues for a past few years..

No wonder an SI already on life support pulled the plug themselves.

That's very fat-ist of you. Big girls need love too.

Sports-Illustrated-640x480-1-640x480.jpg

Although I don't think it was just the big girls that killed them.

33 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

A business group living it up quarter to quarter while ignoring the long term instability they're accruing? Something like that would never happen!

The linked article includes the seeds of their downfall: 

The Company reported significant improvements in both top-and bottom-line results in 2022, driving record revenues of more than $221 million, while reducing operating expenses by nearly $20 million over that time. In the fourth quarter of 2022, the Company reported revenue from continuing operations of $61.7 million while reducing operating expenses by more than 30%. 

These results were driven by significant gains in digital advertising and licensing and syndication, and new lines of revenue in online betting and e-commerce, while managing headwinds and declines in the legacy print and subscription lines. Overall, the Company reported its highest full-year revenue and profits in its history.

Cutting expenses (read: paying for fewer writers) while amping up advertising monetization (replacing now missing/thin content with ads) sounds like a quarter or two of good money, and then nobody will want your enshittified product anymore

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I got a sub to SI in 68. That was a weekly treat. It’s where I learned about sports, plus Dave Campbell’s Texas Football, the NFL Today, and Wide World of Sports. I kept it really into the late 80’s and by then it was getting bad. ESPN replaced it and then the internet put the nail in the coffin.

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

The commemorative issue that SI made, after and for the ‘05 NC, had a couple historical team pictures. My Dad is just to the right of a kneeling DKR, as they were awaiting the results of the coin toss, for the ‘63 Texas vs OU game.

Texas was #2 and OU was #1 going into that game. It’s currently the last time both teams have played as #1 vs #2, in the history of that rivalry.

Hook’em!!!

1984?  I could swear we were 1 and they were 2 before we imploded at the end of that season.

I grew up reading my dad's weekly sub in the 80s and 90s too. I'd probably be illiterate if SI hadn't given me something I cared to read. I might have hidden away of few of those special February issues too.

But since the world moved online, I hadn't even notice they tried putting fatties in the swimsuit issue. That's wild... and stupid!

Honestly, I think Surly gives me better news these days and provides plenty of great eye candy on the 9.95 board every time a 'cruit commits to The Horns.

• Hook 'Em 1

As soon as they stopped giving away quality merch like this, they were doomed (of course I had one, was like talking into a cardboard tube...)

I still have a Burnt Orange Longhorn hat from around ‘06-07 that shows each of the four NC years on it and SI on the side.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

All the Championship gear you’d get with a new subscription, commemorative magazine, ball and a t-shirt or hoodie/sweatshirt. 

Got this in the early 1980’s and wore it as recently as 2018 until the wife finally said “enough!”

image.thumb.jpeg.4e2e084ba5e8ae9c14209f98a01f6306.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

That's very fat-ist of you. Big girls need love too.

Sports-Illustrated-640x480-1-640x480.jpg

Although I don't think it was just the big girls that killed them.

Agreed. Can't blame it all on the big girls.

x162521_tk2_00287-rawfinal1920jpg.thumb.jpg.94dc6e79c9926e5a4709757088b9e495.jpg

10 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Edited by ajax
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Perhaps there is some correlation?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, SurlyGator said:

Perhaps there is some correlation?

The brunette looks like a thick Kate Hudson. 

And these assholes making this tweet are so quick to point the finger at obese & trans women to fill some narrative about “wokeness.” But if they added the 2021 covers with black women and blamed “diversity” they would find themselves in a world of shit. 

6 minutes ago, MrBig said:

The brunette looks like a thick Kate Hudson. 

And these assholes making this tweet are so quick to point the finger at obese & trans women to fill some narrative about “wokeness.” But if they added the 2021 covers with black women and blamed “diversity” they would find themselves in a world of shit. 

Apples and oranges.  Google says that the first SI cover to include a black woman was Tyra Banks in 1996.  She's been on three, and there have been others.  I remember the howls of protest either on this forum or on its predecesor when the swimsuit issue with plus size models came out.  Personally, I didn't have a problem with it (I like big butts and I cannot lie).  However, a pretty dude in a bikini?  I'm gonna have to draw the line there.

You guys can flame me all you want, but the "Go woke, go broke" cause and effect appears to be rather consistent, whether you like it or not.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 6

20 minutes ago, MrBig said:

If by "in a world of shit," you mean "nominated for US Senator of Oklahoma," you're absolutely correct.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1