2024 Oscar Nominees

BigDHornfan

On 2/27/2024 at 12:54 PM, Helobious said:

Zone of Interest was the most disappointing thing I have ever seen in my entire life. It was literally “guy that works at Auschwitz lives next to it with his family”. That’s the entire fucking movie. 105 minutes of watching grass grow would’ve been less boring. 

Watching it now.  I find it fascinating.

At first I thought like you, but then I realized that was the point and power of the story.

How people can live "normal", seemingly boring lives while unspeakable horrors are being carried out, literally next door.

It's an amazing character study, IMO.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

How people can live "normal", seemingly boring lives while unspeakable horrors are being carried out, literally next door.

Like posting on this forum when the Daily Texan is right below.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Like posting on this forum when the Daily Texan is right below.

Huh? 

Isn't this the Oscar 2024 thread?

Wasn't Zone of Interest nominated of an Oscar?  

Why would I post about it in Daily Texan?

- Confused 

Happy that The Boy and the Heron won an Oscar as Hayao Miyazaki's swan song. If anyone gets the chance, 100% recommended watch - it's the perfect culmination of 40 years of filmmaking from Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki. Wife and I saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse.

• Hook 'Em 3

Didn’t watch it all but skimmed through it. I’m happy with the results. Still need to see Anatomy of a Fall and Zone of Interest.

I think the Oppenheimer and Poor Things wins were well deserved. Surprised that KOTFM went 0-10, but I thought it was a tad overrated for reasons listed in that thread.

Emma Stone absolutely deserved Best Leading Actress and I thought her speech was incredible. I thought Lily Gladstone was great in KOTFM, then I saw Poor Things and holy shit.

Happy that Wes Anderson got one. Love all of his work. Hook ‘em, Wes.

What’s going on with Al Pacino? Dementia? Drunk? Infant baby and sleep deprived? All of the above?

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kimmel’s whole bit now is star fucking, and his monologue certainly delivered. Union town my balls. I’ve never been in a city so out of touch with reality. 

I didn’t realize that LA was absolutely a union town until I moved there. 

Don’t know if you ever connected “The Writers Strike” to The Writers Guild of America (union) or “the Actors Strike” to The Screen Actors Guild (union), but it takes about 1 second to make the connection.

No film with a budget is made without contracts with the Directors Guild of America (union), IATSE (union), or the Teamsters (union).

And then repeat for all non “reality TV” television shows and most commercials you see on TV.

When I was Bruce Willis’ photo double for a MasterCard commercial about 23-24 years ago, I drove a bus about 20 feet and then stopped it. After that take, I reversed the bus about 20 feet (with a few other extras on the bus.

After the next take, we were told that we had to wait for a union driver (Teamster) to reverse the bus 20 feet… even though I had just done it 10 minutes before. 

Nothing of any substance happens in that town without 3 to 6 unions signing off on it. 

I have NEVER lived in an American city as union run as LA.

Napoleon, SAG/AFTRA ‘00

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Happy that Wes Anderson got one. Love all of his work. Hook ‘em, Wes.

So we have Wes Anderson, Matthew McConaughy, and Marcia Gay Harden as Longhorn Oscar winners.  Any others?

Edit:  Oh, Renee Zellwegger as a two-time winner.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

All of Scorsese's films these days insist upon themselves.  Do not care for them.

sddefault.jpg

I think the Irishman is pretty great. Killers is a great piece of film making but it certainly drags some.

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So we have Wes Anderson, Matthew McConaughy, and Marcia Gay Harden as Longhorn Oscar winners.  Any others?

I know lifetime honors aren’t the same, but his was especially well deserved and it’s technically an academy award, Longhorn Eli Wallach.  

I want to say Luke Wilson but too lazy to look it up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Eli Wallach only received a BAFTA Award, a Tony Award and an Emmy Award, but no Academy Award. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I know lifetime honors aren’t the same, but his was especially well deserved and it’s technically an academy award, Longhorn Eli Wallach.  

I want to say Luke Wilson but too lazy to look it up.  

Luke absolutely does not have an Oscar, but I do think that he was an Emmy for “Tower”, [strike through]though not positive[/strike through].

IMG_3157.thumb.jpeg.cc2eee51458690547e8f0b28cd0e92c6.jpeg

Also, Luke spent one semester each at Occidental College, TCU, and SMU, but never went to UT.

Edited by Napoleon

I don’t know why I thought he went here.  I know we’ve got some Tony and Emmy winning Longhorns.  Not sure about Grammys.  Maybe we’ll have an EGOT one day.  Although he never should have even been considered for an Oscar, John Wayne is a Life Member of the Texas Exes, which I always find cool…

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Luke absolutely does not have an Oscar, but I do think that he was an Emmy for “Tower”, [strike through]though not positive[/strike through].

IMG_3157.thumb.jpeg.cc2eee51458690547e8f0b28cd0e92c6.jpeg

Also, Luke spent one semester each at Occidental College, TCU, and SMU, but never went to UT.

Expelled from St. Mark's School of Texas (Dallas, TX) in the tenth grade, Wilson finished his sophomore year at Thomas Jefferson School and then headed to a military academy in New Mexico. He then attended the University of Texas at Austin, where he met his future mentor and friend, Wes Anderson.

Internet says he did.  

13 hours ago, Levi said:

I like the added touch of other actors talking about the nominees instead of the voice over they usually do.  

I like the idea, but I thought it wasn't done very well.  A couple of the actors actually rehearsed what they were going to say and it sounded genuine.  Most of them just read the teleprompter.  It shouldn't have been that difficult to rehearse the three of four lines and deliver without reading.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I didn’t realize that LA was absolutely a union town until I moved there. 

Don’t know if you ever connected “The Writers Strike” to The Writers Guild of America (union) or “the Actors Strike” to The Screen Actors Guild (union), but it takes about 1 second to make the connection.

No film with a budget is made without contracts with the Directors Guild of America (union), IATSE (union), or the Teamsters (union).

And then repeat for all non “reality TV” television shows and most commercials you see on TV.

When I was Bruce Willis’ photo double for a MasterCard commercial about 23-24 years ago, I drove a bus about 20 feet and then stopped it. After that take, I reversed the bus about 20 feet (with a few other extras on the bus.

After the next take, we were told that we had to wait for a union driver (Teamster) to reverse the bus 20 feet… even though I had just done it 10 minutes before. 

Nothing of any substance happens in that town without 3 to 6 unions signing off on it. 

I have NEVER lived in an American city as union run as LA.

Napoleon, SAG/AFTRA ‘00

NYC would be about as union as it gets.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

F. Murray Abraham won for Amadeus back in the 80s.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think the Irishman is pretty great. Killers is a great piece of film making but it certainly drags some.

Had the exact opposite opinion. Irishman was overly long and was one of my least favorite Scorsese if not the worst IMO. The de-aging was absurd. It was run of the mill mob movie.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Couldn't do the play-by-play here due to not wanting to be on the phone while watching with others, but concur on the Best Actress--that was going to be tough between Lily Gladstone and Emma Stone. Both gave terrific performances and would've been happy with either winning. Not surprised on all the Oppenheimer award wins, but darned if Ryan Gosling didn't steal the show--he is so talented and I can see why the cast and crew have said in interviews how much they enjoyed making Barbie.

Was also blown away with how nice Jennifer Lawrence looked, as well as America Fererra,  Zandaya, and Michelle Yeoh. Liked that many of the dresses were well-suited for the actresses wearing them. The bubble gum dress was a bit much, but there's always a few outliers that don't always appeal to me and it's not like I know fashion or how to spot a trend.

Liked the streamlined format, although Pacino took it a little too far, haha.

I have some catching up to do on viewing; was not able to see all of the contenders before the ceremony this year. Loved reading the posts here!

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Expelled from St. Mark's School of Texas (Dallas, TX) in the tenth grade, Wilson finished his sophomore year at Thomas Jefferson School and then headed to a military academy in New Mexico. He then attended the University of Texas at Austin, where he met his future mentor and friend, Wes Anderson.

Internet says he did.  

Don’t post Owen’s bio and then insist that Luke went to UT.

It isn’t a good look for UT students or Texas Exes.

6 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

NYC would be about as union as it gets.

Correct!

You could add Detroit and Chicago to NYC if you would like, but I have never lived in those cities.

The basic read comprehension & basic logic have taken a real dip on this page.

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

You could add Detroit and Chicago to NYC if you would like, but I have never lived in those cities.

The basic read comprehension & basic logic have taken a real dip on this page.

Nothing I said suggested you had lived in NYC.

My reading comprehension is fine, fuckyouverymuch.

On 3/10/2024 at 8:50 PM, wild_turkey said:

What’s going on with Al Pacino? Dementia? Drunk? Infant baby and sleep deprived? All of the above?

Uh, yeah, they gave me this envelope.  I'm supposed to read it.  Uh...Oppen.   Oppenheimer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1