2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

16 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

I understand we all have our own thoughts on the direction of this country. I don’t think there’s much I can say to make you see my side of things. But the polls do suggest that I’m not alone in how I feel. That’s all I’m trying to say. I spent the majority of my young adulthood in the military, so I tend to look at things from that perspective. I think our country is less safe and less secure than it has been in a long time.

So Trump sucking Putin’s dick makes us safer? Trump does not make us safer. Period.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Embarrassment in what way exactly? Our allies have been quite supportive of the current administration whereas Putin has been determined to regain the independent republics that the former Soviet Union lost. Other authoritarian led countries have also been anxious because the WH no longer has the pay to play sign out. Economically, coming out of a global pandemic plus quite a few climate disasters, things are uncertain but still better than what was initially forecast what with several wars ongoing, rise of 'antidemocratic' rulers, and corporate greed and enshittification (SEE: the DT thread which says it all).

Congress is not earning their salary at this point in time. Why are we not demanding that they do so? So much reform is possible with immigration, healthcare, employment (hello families?), and consumer protections from the monopolization of goods and services and bought politicians (thank you so much Citizens United and the reprobate majority justices) but now everything is performative, grifting nonsense that keeps those foreign authoritarian leaders and home grown oligarchs drooling over the spoils that are sure to come if we turn to the 'law and order' authoritarian leader on the home front. Because the law will bind many but only the foolish think they will emerge unscathed as being 'above the law,'  should that come to be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Hey, remember the people of Earth celebrating when Biden beat Trump? Church bells ringing everywhere, shit like that? That was cool. 

Not a single avid Trump supporter saw that. Sad, but true. Their media sources kept a lid on that tighter than they did Four Seasons Landscaping.

29 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

We know you're not alone. That's why I think this country is less safe and less secure than it has been in a long time.

This is perfect.

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

I understand we all have our own thoughts on the direction of this country. I don’t think there’s much I can say to make you see my side of things. But the polls do suggest that I’m not alone in how I feel. That’s all I’m trying to say. I spent the majority of my young adulthood in the military, so I tend to look at things from that perspective. I think our country is less safe and less secure than it has been in a long time.

Real question, no snark: Anything to back this up or just vibes?  

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There are people who are worse off now than in 2020

Women: Thanks to Republican appointed SCOTUS judges, women's rights have been gutted. In addition, most Republican controlled states have passes draconian laws to make women subjugated by men again. 

Jews: They have frequently been targeted thanks to Trump's vocal support of white supremacy and white nationalism. 

Blacks: While Black employment is doing great thanks to Biden, Republican controlled states have tried to restrict voting rights as much as possible. 

Young People: People under 40 are worse off and everyone is to blame. If you didn't own a home prior to 2020, you are not doing awesome. Home prices are 40-50% higher, and income isn't that much higher (although a little). While the Republicans will blame Biden for the inflation, that is dumb and not supported by facts. Every single country in the world has had to deal with large amounts of inflation thanks to Covid supply shocks. Yes I know Biden will get blamed either way. The continual transfer of wealth from the middle class to the corporate class via tax cuts or the easy money policy has hurt young people. They missed the boat and it sucks for them. 

So CowtownHorn is a young Jewish Black woman?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

I think our country is less safe and less secure than it has been in a long time.

Violent crime is dropping fast in the U.S. — even if Americans don't believe it : NPR

There was a Covid spike in Crime. It's come down since then. 

Johnson refuses to commit to putting an immigration deal on the House floor, if it passes the Senate | CNN Politics

Republicans won't pass border security bill

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There are people who are worse off now than in 2020

Women: Thanks to Republican appointed SCOTUS judges, women's rights have been gutted. In addition, most Republican controlled states have passes draconian laws to make women subjugated by men again. 

Jews: They have frequently been targeted thanks to Trump's vocal support of white supremacy and white nationalism. 

Blacks: While Black employment is doing great thanks to Biden, Republican controlled states have tried to restrict voting rights as much as possible. 

Young People: People under 40 are worse off and everyone is to blame. If you didn't own a home prior to 2020, you are not doing awesome. Home prices are 40-50% higher, and income isn't that much higher (although a little). While the Republicans will blame Biden for the inflation, that is dumb and not supported by facts. Every single country in the world has had to deal with large amounts of inflation thanks to Covid supply shocks. Yes I know Biden will get blamed either way. The continual transfer of wealth from the middle class to the corporate class via tax cuts or the easy money policy has hurt young people. They missed the boat and it sucks for them. 

This is me except I'm 41. Just a poorly timed divorce that forced the sale of our marital home and covid hit while I was paying off debt/putting money away for a down payment to buy another home.

I certainly don't place the blame at Biden's feet though.

i do think there is a rage against the machine aspect to trump's popularity.  people are just unhappy and that favors the bomb thrower.  people feel the below. the further down in percentile you are, the worse you are getting it, and the more unhappy you are. and it matches up with who is supporting the bomb thrower.  

1-13-20pov-f1.png?itok=l5c8bKQJ

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

Real question, no snark: Anything to back this up or just vibes?  

Seriously.  Let's just look at the big-picture stuff in relative terms:

1) the US economy is outperforming -- I mean, a full-on ASSKICKING -- every other material western economy.  Our similarly situated allies are facing tough times.  NOT US!  We're putting up record numbers.  

2) militarily, the US has been able to use a fraction of its military budget....using mostly older-generation tech....wielded by hastily trained (but serious and dedicated) Ukrainians.....to fight our historic rival to a standstill.  The message that the rest of the world has gotten is unambiguous: American kit is the best around, and they don't even need to use much of it to squash you like a bug.  Our strategic position, in terms of how people perceive our ability to project force, has rarely been this strong.

But, you know, Donald Trump talks about how mean he'll be to brown people in sweatpants and sandals soaked with river water, so clearly, he's the tough guy the world is waiting for.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

This is me except I'm 41. Just a poorly timed divorce that forced the sale of our marital home and covid hit while I was paying off debt/putting money away for a down payment to buy another home.

I certainly don't place the blame at Biden's feet though.

You're not the only one. The only refinances I'm doing these days are for people getting divorced. No one is happy about the financial hit or the 6.5% rate

What dumb fuck aggy ranked the AP poll for militaries because most had mother Russia at #2 before this war started. If that's true we're 50 years ahead of everyone else and have a lack of universal Healthcare to prove it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

I think it's fine to say the booming economy isn't working for everyone, but to blame democrats and Biden specifically is absurd. The economy is booming by every metric republicans tout when they are in office. It's exactly what young democrats were saying pre-covid when the economy was doing fine by those metrics. Those opinions were mocked by republicans who are now saying the same thing. Full on hypocrits.

The wealth disparities that are preventing true prosperity for young people and the middle and lower classes in general started with Ronald Fucking Reagan, such that even a big part of the democratic party are hesitant to support broader solutions to these issues. What's absolutely true by any metric, from any perspective, is that people have been way better off under democrat administrations and way worse off under republican administrations going back to at least Reagan. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, CowtownHorn said:

How are we less safe and less secure?

Imagine being someone who spent the majority of their adult live serving  in our nation’s military but thinking that a man who not only used bone spurs at 18yr old (beyond rare) to dodge military service, but has also repeatedly voiced disgust for those that serve in the military most represents their interests.   Absolute brain worms.

IMG_5676.thumb.jpeg.3cf35ec34645e7c185e656d971884ec0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

But the polls do suggest that I’m not alone in how I feel.

Slavery? We may disagree but millions of Southerners agree with me. Will that do as an argument?

It's an argument for how you feel. Or how you choose to feel. Or how you've been moved to feel by cascading lies from the hate engine which relieve you of having to do anything other than feel. Feel fear and hate.

Thank you for your service in dooming the republic and the Constitution to which you swore an oath.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 6

Every morning during the Trump administration, I got a briefing regarding energy and cyber vulnerabilities our nation was experiencing.  From Russia, China, and other puppet-masters of Donald Trump and his children and cabinet.  Rex Tillerson, Kay Bailey Hutchison, and Israel Hernandez were advising us on these issues until they were all fired by your false messiah.  From a family of legacy sailors of the U.S. Navy, I thank you for your service.  But you're out of your element here sir, you have no idea how much he traded away.  That he didn't even really know what he was trading away makes it even more offensive.   He has consistently insulted veterans like yourself and my family members, disgraced POW's, and questioned the character of combat infantry time and time again.  And yet you consistently suck his dick.  You are a fucking goddamn insult to the uniform.

Go fuck yourself, you fucking child.

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just remember, when someone "but Trump," remind them its not just him, he's the undisputed leader of the entire party. The entire party is either actively supporting traitorous behavior, or are okay with it, otherwise they would push back or leave the party.

• Hook 'Em 1

how I feel

Facts. How about something tangible? Those that agree with your general dislike of Biden may not share your feelings towards him. A portion of them that dislike him is because he isn't more liberal. 

Edited by cactusflinthead

39 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i do think there is a rage against the machine aspect to trump's popularity.  people are just unhappy and that favors the bomb thrower.  people feel the below. the further down in percentile you are, the worse you are getting it, and the more unhappy you are. and it matches up with who is supporting the bomb thrower.  

1-13-20pov-f1.png?itok=l5c8bKQJ

They're mad that everyone else is doing well but they're still fucking losers.

• Hook 'Em 2

As a military person, how do you feel about leaving NATO, which Trump has said he will do, and anything saying Russia should bomb some NATO countries. How does that make you feel safer?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Facts. How about something tangible? Those that agree with your general dislike of Biden may not share your feelings towards him. A portion of them that dislike him is because he isn't more liberal. 

It’s all vibes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Surely that's mostly just people fucking with pollsters right? 

Except that one is at least debatable as a question. The Sun and Earth both revolve around their shared center of mass (barycenter). Obviously due to the size disparity that point is within the space occupied by the Sun and nearly at its center but the point remains. E.g., the barycenter for the Sun and Jupiter is outside the Sun. 

Bottom line is that as is the case with all orbiting objects, the Sun and Earth orbit each other. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

We know you're not alone. That's why I think this country is less safe and less secure than it has been in a long time.

58f3df1a-a8fe-48aa-bb83-61b879e3af40_text.gif.e58696d5af1c2a683eecb6c26a20a8e9.gif

now...cabal! cease and desist the neg-bombing! you're being so toxic with all the negging to obliv...wait....oh.

Kiy_NC.gif.e87995fe2a6c44a8e4fe9c6c4c68db48.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

sorry I went off on a rant earlier.  I re-read this.  You see the aggregation of your ignorance as validation.  It's a story as old as time.  It brings you comfort and empowerment.  It's perfectly natural.  The stupid shit coming out of uneducated people's mouths on a land-line poll on a random Saturday is what should give us direction in life.  Not Jesus' teachings, not higher education, not exposure, not diversity, not travel, nor enlightenment.  But the utter and inane bullshit spewing from the mouth of a man who dodged your draft multiple times and would piss on the grave of the brothers you lost in the service of our country for being losers.  You are the most pathetic example of how he uses people like you as pawns because you'll do his bidding with a gigantic smile on your face and thank him for the taint sweat milkshake. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yep. I need another election cycle to persuade me that the Latino vote, as a general demographic, isn’t getting sucked in by the MAGA tractor beam.

“The Latino vote” has never been a real thing. It’s an imaginary concept of the Democratic consultant class to explain why they should fail up. If a non-white Hispanic otherwise carries socioeconomic Republican markers, chances are they vote Republican and likewise with Democrat. That’s not new.

The new thing from 2020 was some locally powerful and pretty yucky political machines in South Texas finally flipped and aren’t ever coming back. Not going to lose sleep over that one.

5 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

Anything has to be better than the embarrassment these last three years have been. We’re the laughing stock of the world. Whoever is elected, hope they can bring some respect and law and order back to this country. If not, it’s going to be ugly. 

Law and order? Laughing stock? Compared to Donald Trump?
Take your bullshit to Texags forum 16.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 8

5 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

Anything has to be better than the embarrassment these last three years have been. We’re the laughing stock of the world. Whoever is elected, hope they can bring some respect and law and order back to this country. If not, it’s going to be ugly. 

Spend a lot of time in other parts of the world?  Pretty obvious from this statement that you do not.  

4 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

I disagree. We shall see.

Not a huge Trump fan, but Biden has not been a good president. Don’t think I’m way off base with that statement.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/610349/political-economic-indicators-not-promising-biden.aspx

I think you are full of shit.  We are less safe and less secure as a country DIRECTLY due to the actions of Donald J. Trump and the GOP.  Go fuck yourself.

4 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Can't cure stupid.  Too few of these people died during COVID.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

On the topic of the US being less secure today, a positive side effect of the tragic war in Ukraine is that the US military is increasing their knowledge of modern warfare by leaps and bounds. Have others? Of course but I guarantee no one has learned more than the US military. 

• Hook 'Em 2