Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

That seems awfully fast to execute a well-considered, thought out RIF.  

And good luck Elon, blaming ‘activist groups’ for a sudden drop in revenue.  Pretty sure the big money types are not moving en masse due to pressure from anyone but fear of a precipitous drop in ROI.  

This has been fascinating to watch unfold.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woodrow Call said:

I've been in the tech sector for 37 years. This is the worst situation I've ever seen in terms of how to handle employee separation. 

Now that you mention it...  I've seen some start ups fail and people be without paychecks suddenly, but nothing like this at a company the size and success of Twitter.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Now that you mention it...  I've seen some start ups fail and people be without paychecks suddenly, but nothing like this at a company the size and success of Twitter.

Yeah going from trading at $54.20 to laying off half the company in just a week! Pretty incredible bed shitting so far

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Apparently there are laws one must follow with mass layoffs. 

Not a Musk fanboy, but if the generic letter going around on the web is true, the laid-off are still employees for 91 more days.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/read-the-blunt-twitter-email-telling-employees-that-their-jobs-are-axed/ar-AA13JZUL?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=37f62bca7500416ab4f21bac49fb766f

• Hook 'Em 2

So, a week in and he's in the bargaining/begging phase. But remember folks, he wasn't doing this for the money.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/4/23440629/please-use-twitter

“Please use Twitter.”

While speaking at the Baron Investment Conference just minutes before the 9AM PT deadline for roughly half of Twitter’s employees to receive their layoff notices, Elon Musk implored attendees to use the social network that he now owns. 

He also asked people to sign up for the forthcoming $8 per month Twitter Blue subscription, which he revealed will actually cost $7.99 per month. Bargain.

This feels like Musk, basically forced into the deal, is trying to (clumsily) execute a McKinsey-type strategic plan or hedge fund-style flip.  Massively cut budget via extreme layoffs, develop new revenue streams to inflate value (like the check mark idiocy), make himself look good and then ultimately sell it at a profit.  So far, it's not going so well.

7 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

This feels like Musk, basically forced into the deal, is trying to (clumsily) execute a McKinsey-type strategic plan or hedge fund-style flip.  Massively cut budget via extreme layoffs, develop new revenue streams to inflate value (like the check mark idiocy), make himself look good and then ultimately sell it at a profit.  So far, it's not going so well.

The hedge fund flips work better because the flippers aren’t tweeting about it 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Apparently there are laws one must follow with mass layoffs. 

as others have said, this doesnt mean shit, it just means you either A) give a mass layoff group 60 days notice of their jobs going away, or B) pay them as if they were still employed for 60 days *

*unless the company is hemorrhaging cash and would be insolvent within a few weeks if they were forced to payout the WARN funds. 

as others have pointed out, if twitters value plummets along with its cash reserves, it would allow Elon to have an "out"  

that being said, the folks doing the lawsuit are folks who got laid off before today, so because of the way the WARN act is written this group might actually have to go forward with their lawsuit to be included in the WARN class.

I've been WARN riffed 3 times in my life. 2 of the companies just paid my salary for exactly 60 days and then "fired" me on day 61, and the other company went BK less than a week after letting us all go. (and we got nothing other than our previous weeks pay)

• Hook 'Em 1

So maybe the play here was continually doubling down as a monument to egotism?

1) Get pissy with Twitter CEO over both using it as his PR department (which Tesla famously doesn’t have) and spreading misinformation, including market manipulation…”rules don’t apply to me”

2) Haphazardly enter into a contract to buy, under terrible terms, the company to spite Twitter leadership…”I’ll show them who’s boss”

3) Spend months trying to throw the deal via any means possible…”it’s not my fault, I was mislead!”

4) When that failed, decide to fire half the company…”look what you made me do!”

5) Blame the ‘activists’ as established advertising revenue melts away, and leverage name recognition to turn it into THE powerhouse of disinformation-for-hire…”necessary to save Twitter from the leftist libtard boogeymen”.  

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

1) Get pissy with Twitter CEO over both using it as his PR department (which Tesla famously doesn’t have) and spreading misinformation, including market manipulation…”rules don’t apply to me”

2) Haphazardly enter into a contract to buy, under terrible terms, the company to spite Twitter leadership…”I’ll show them who’s boss”

3) Spend months trying to throw the deal via any means possible…”it’s not my fault, I was mislead!”

4) When that failed, decide to fire half the company…”look what you made me do!”

5) Blame the ‘activists’ as established advertising revenue melts away, and leverage name recognition to turn it into THE powerhouse of disinformation-for-hire…”necessary to save Twitter from the leftist libtard boogeymen”.  

I'm just an armchair psychiatrist, but this is textbook narcissism.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm just an armchair psychiatrist, but this is textbook narcissism.

Clearly.  But a lot of people who get to that level have a drive to succeed and associated ego that makes 99.999% of other people blush.  Succeed at all other costs (hi Tom Brady).  

It’s the last step that worries me.  We don’t need more avenues, especially a huge one that’s got global reach and install base, for people to sow division, hate and lies.  Sure it may crash and burn under the weight of trolls, conspiracy purveyors, bent politicians and dick pill ads…but it could also maintain just enough veiled legitimacy to soldier on as a means to spread more lies that inspire crazies to Jan 6, Pelosi, Pizzagate, litter boxes in schools, CRT, etc.  

It wasn’t perfect, but moderation and earned bannings kept it somewhat reliable over the alternatives.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 3

I was told he was a business genius guru.

How many ceos do you know that have such an open schedule they can run a second or third company?

Clearly.  But a lot of people who get to that level have a drive to succeed and associated ego that makes 99.999% of other people blush.  Succeed at all other costs (hi Tom Brady).  

It’s the last step that worries me.  We don’t need more avenues, especially a huge one that’s got global reach and install base, for people to sow division, hate and lies.  Sure it may crash and burn under the weight of trolls, conspiracy purveyors, bent politicians and dick pill ads…but it could also maintain just enough veiled legitimacy to soldier on as a means to spread more lies that inspire crazies to Jan 6, Pelosi, Pizzagate, litter boxes in schools, CRT, etc.  
It wasn’t perfect, but moderation and earned bannings kept it somewhat reliable over the alternatives.  

Tom Brady aged, but he didn’t change. More likely his wife thought she could change him. Tom doesn’t demand everyone go get fucked, he took a smaller contract to achieve his goal. Elon Musk cannot be parted with his share.

He is a cunt and we are living in another gilded age.
  • Hook 'Em 7

15 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I was told he was a business genius guru.

How many ceos do you know that have such an open schedule they can run a second or third company?

I haven't been able to find it on this thread or the Twitter/Musk thread in CR but somebody posted a great article that spotlighted how Elon basically amassed his fortune and it wasn't through business savvy. Mostly, it came from government subsidies after he made money from the PayPal deal, which he really didn't have anything to do with from a building standpoint. I'd love to find that article again -- if somebody knows where it is.

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?