Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

17 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Starting that new Grisham docuseries now.

Trailer looks great and these true crime docuseries are my jam.

I’m glad “Making A Murderer” was such a success - it’s lead to a bunch of great content.

Watched 4 episodes last night and like it. A little too much reenactment, but that's hard to get around sometimes. 

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Roma is fantastic.  Watch it by yourself, when you're well rested. 

It's comfortably paced. 

Seconded. About half an hour in I was getting Linklater vibes with all the meandering but somewhere along the way the story catches you and it's also not hard to notice this guy is a fuckin pro with the camera work. Beautiful movie for being black & white. 

On 12/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, tantric superman said:

Wow, has any "netflix" movie ever been as praised as Roma?  (Dropping today.) 

Christmas Chronicles seems to be getting a lot of rave reviews from family and friends with kids.   Will have to watch it and compare it to the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’s Christmas special.  

3 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Watched 4 episodes last night and like it. A little too much reenactment, but that's hard to get around sometimes. 

The overly dramatic reenactments are really bad, but the rest of the content is very interesting.

Docs in general should stay away from reenactments, the thin blue line is the only one I can think of that did it well and those were pretty minimal. 

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

Don't want to go back through the thread, so I am just going to ask....

Has anyone watched Bad Blood?  Is it worth it?  Saw it was only 6 episodes so may check it out regardless, but just wondering what yall thought of it.  

Didn’t watch but it was not well received here. Nothing but mafia cliches was the consensus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Don't want to go back through the thread, so I am just going to ask....

Has anyone watched Bad Blood?  Is it worth it?  Saw it was only 6 episodes so may check it out regardless, but just wondering what yall thought of it.  

Did you like Lilllyhammer?  It's the same fucking show.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drifter379 said:

Christmas Chronicles is the best Christmas movie I've seen since Elf.
Whole family loved it.

Wow.  We watched it last night, and felt like it was pretty much crap.  But in the spirit of Christmas, bless you and may the spirit of the season be upon you.

37 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Wow.  We watched it last night, and felt like it was pretty much crap.  But in the spirit of Christmas, bless you and may the spirit of the season be upon you.

I'd need to see a list, but I think the field of modern Christmas movies is pretty weak that you might still be able to crown Christmas Chronicles as best and it still kind of suck.  I agree it's fine for the kids, but it's just more schlock through adult eyes.  Not enough Jack Burtonesque humor. 

Little Dieter Needs to Fly

An older documentary about Dieter Dengler and his amazing journey. As a small child in Germany during WW2 he learned one thing. He needed to fly. The price he paid to do so was astounding. Great film about an amazing human being.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture, about the life of Doug Kenney and the launch of the National Lampoon.  

Watched the first 40 minutes this morning.  As the guy who jumped  off the Brooklyn Bridge said on his way to the East River, "So far, so good."  Nicely captures the early 70s and Lampoon look and feel.

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Just started Last Kingdom because of this thread. On episode two and am highly intrigued. 

Nice.  The good thing is it actually gets better.  I thought the first couple of episodes were a bit sluggish, but it picks ups.  The Pacing and just how much happens from episode to episode is pretty fast.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

No I don't believe so.  The Last Kingdom is one of the few examples where the show version has done a really nice job of streamlining a story that got repetitive from time to time in the books.

Nice to hear...thought about trying to find it.

13 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

A Futile and Stupid Gesture, about the life of Doug Kenney and the launch of the National Lampoon.  

Watched the first 40 minutes this morning.  As the guy who jumped  off the Brooklyn Bridge said on his way to the East River, "So far, so good."  Nicely captures the early 70s and Lampoon look and feel.

Finished it tonight.  Well worth watching.  This fucker wrote Animal House _and_ Caddyshack. 

Been watching 1983. The dubbing is atrocious, so you gotta switch it to the original Polish and turn the subtitles one. Two episodes in and really enjoying it.

That’s funny, I couldn’t stand the overdubs either so I quit watching. It’s like the people they got to do the voiceovers aren’t actors but simply translators. Their inflection is horrible and makes even the best dialogue comical