Looks like we will have to say goodbye to V'Ger 1. She's obeying commands but hasnt returned readable info in 3 months....

AUS-97HORN

Helluva run, Voyager1.  Helluva run.  It's still out there, probably gonna end up pummeled by space rocks or crashing into a moon outside our solar system.  With any luck, something will find that golden record and just happened to be an alien hipster who recently converted to vinyl out of digital spite in a universal stroke of irony.  

I remember learning about it in elementary school.  Our first message to the corners of our galaxy.  In some weird way, maybe its communication terminus will usher in our first contact.  There has to be a few folks left that were on that design team and tonight, may they sleep well.  And when they sleep, may they dream of childhood wonderment.  They pushed a tin can outside our solar system to see what was out there.  And there is apparently, quite a bit.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

9 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

About 15 billion miles away.  1/4th of a light year.

So how old are the signals we are receiving now?  Edit** NM found this

Voyager 1 is so far away that it takes 22.5 hours for commands sent from Earth to reach the spacecraft. Additionally, the team must wait 45 hours to receive a response.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/13/world/voyager-1-computer-issue-scn/index.html

Which begs the question, how does data(communication) travel faster than light?

Edited by Incredulity

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Voyager 1 is so far away that it takes 22.5 hours for commands sent from Earth to reach the spacecraft. Additionally, the team must wait 45 hours to receive a response.

a light year is 6 trillion miles.

15 billion miles is 15/6000th of a light year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Where is she now?

voyager 1 is currently 15.146 billion miles away from earth which is about 162 times the distance between the earth and the sun.  it is 35 degrees north of the ecliptic in the direction of the solar apex in hercules.  it has been in interstellar space for about 11 years now.

46 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Am I correct that Voyager 2 is the farthest manmade object from Earth? Is it still returning data?

you are not.  voyager 2 is only 12.680 billion miles from earth. it is about 48 degrees below the ecliptic.

38 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

So how old are the signals we are receiving now?

radio waves move at approximately 300 million meters per second.  signals from voyager 1 take a little more than 22 hours to make it to earth.  signals from voyager 2 take about 18 and half hours.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It doesn't (as far as we know), Voyager 1 is 22.5 light-hours away from Earth and her C&C signals are themselves just electromagnetic radiation. So the 45 hr "ping" response time is just the time it takes the signal to travel there and back again

• Hook 'Em 1

It's Wiki and all that it entails, but it seems like V1 was going to die soon anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

Power[edit]

Voyager 1 has three radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs) mounted on a boom. Each MHW-RTG contains 24 pressed plutonium-238 oxide spheres.[28] The RTGs generated about 470 W of electric power at the time of launch, with the remainder being dissipated as waste heat.[29] The power output of the RTGs declines over time due to the 87.7-year half-life of the fuel and degradation of the thermocouples, but the craft's RTGs will continue to support some of its operations until 2025

33 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

15 minutes ago, sidis said:

voyager 1 is currently 15.146 million miles away from earth which is about 162 times the distance between the earth and the sun.  it is 35 degrees north of the ecliptic in the direction of the solar apex in hercules.  it has been in interstellar space for about 11 years now.

you are not.  voyager 2 is only 12.680 million miles from earth. it is about 48 degrees below the ecliptic.

radio waves move at approximately 300 million meters per second.  signals from voyager 1 take a little more than 22 hours to make it to earth.  signals from voyager 2 take about 18 and half hours.

I feel like between the two of you you can get these figures straightened out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I'm not so sure I agree 100% with your policework there Lou..

According to NASA, she's about 22.5 hours light time away, or 15 billion miles. Give or Take.  A light year is 6 trillion miles (again, approximate).  That's .25% of a light year, not 25%. 

Voyager is the fastest moving man made object in history @ 38,000 mph, for 46 years, and she's not even a light day away.  As a species, we aren't getting out of this solar system anytime soon. 

my quick math is that 22.5 hours is about 1 light day, so yeah just under 1/365 of a light year. 
So 1 light day, is about 50 years at max sustainable human speed (historically speaking) 

Sadly, Starman is in orbit and was not on an escape trajectory

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It's Wiki and all that it entails, but it seems like V1 was going to die soon anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

Power[edit]

Voyager 1 has three radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs) mounted on a boom. Each MHW-RTG contains 24 pressed plutonium-238 oxide spheres.[28] The RTGs generated about 470 W of electric power at the time of launch, with the remainder being dissipated as waste heat.[29] The power output of the RTGs declines over time due to the 87.7-year half-life of the fuel and degradation of the thermocouples, but the craft's RTGs will continue to support some of its operations until 2025

We all have it coming, kid.

44 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It doesn't (as far as we know), Voyager 1 is 22.5 light-hours away from Earth and her C&C signals are themselves just electromagnetic radiation. So the 45 hr "ping" response time is just the time it takes the signal to travel there and back again

image.png.5f70898950773fd31c230e6500c5ad54.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sometimes I think about the Voyager record and how if was an alien and found this, I wouldn't know what the hell it was telling me to do. Shoulda had the IKEA instruction design team do it, but it wouldn't look near as cool.

image.png.a9ed93c6b5021a02d3344ff29eca16d0.png

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Follow up question:  what is its velocity?  I assume it will be pretty static now unless it happens to go near some large object. 

voyager 1: just over 38,000 miles per hour.

voyager 2: just over 34,300 miles per hour.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sometimes I think about the Voyager record and how if was an alien and found this, I wouldn't know what the hell it was telling me to do. Shoulda had the IKEA instruction design team do it, but it wouldn't look near as cool.

image.png.a9ed93c6b5021a02d3344ff29eca16d0.png

Kinda obvious what most of the symbols mean.

From top left down to bottom right.

1) I want a choo-choo for Christmas

2) ?

3) This is what our buttholes kinda look like.

4) Our EKGs. We have heart issues sometimes. Send help.

5) Bring a camera or a clothes dryer. Both of ours broke.

6) Do your women have boobies too? Boobies are great.

Edited by gofuckyourself
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

A light year is 6 Trillion miles.  15 billion is nowhere close to 1/4 of a light year.  It's .0025 of a light year. A year is 8,760 hours.  22.5/8,765 = .00256849.  The radio waves are not traveling faster than the speed of light.

I guess I should read the whole thread before responding

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Haha 1