Looks like we will have to say goodbye to V'Ger 1. She's obeying commands but hasnt returned readable info in 3 months....

AUS-97HORN

27 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Relative to what?   And how fast is that "what" going?

relative to earth.  they (the probes themselves) are moving away from earth at 38,000 and 34,300 mph respectively.

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

relative to earth.  they (the probes themselves) are moving away from earth at 38,000 and 34,300 mph respectively.

Have you seen this place?  I'd be putting as much distance as possible between me and it.  I mean, we have a fucking Oklahoma right here, slapped on the surface for the whole universe to see.  Come the fuck on, hauling ass away is the only rational move.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

Or perhaps this "garbled" signal is an alien species trying to communicate with us, and this is their understanding of the record.

Maybe the played the record backwards, and now they're all freaked out because Paul is dead, man.

• Haha 5

Unfortunately, it is not possible to calculate the probability of the Voyager space probes being refurbished by another civilization and sold at a great price. This is because it involves speculative and unknown factors, such as the existence and technological capabilities of other civilizations, their interest in refurbishing space probes, and the economic value they might assign to such a purchase. Without concrete data or evidence, it is purely speculative to assign a probability to this scenario.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe the played the record backwards, and now they're all freaked out because Paul is dead, man.

IMG_2352.gif.15c97fcdee4bcf39c2b030d72768032e.gif

Imagine a world where aliens have the technology to remove Linda and Yoko’s vocals from the albums

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Have you seen this place?  I'd be putting as much distance as possible between me and it.  I mean, we have a fucking Oklahoma right here, slapped on the surface for the whole universe to see.  Come the fuck on, hauling ass away is the only rational move.

Counterpoint:

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Ain't gonna find another one of these out there.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mofos Fuck Them Up GIF by South Park

Earth has all the tits and ass.

Advantage: Earth

• Hook 'Em 2

but i admit the existence of Oklahoma is a strong argument for leaving

i suggest we nuke Oklahoma (and Russia while at it) and stay with the hot bitches on earth. i mean, Oklahoma is an easily solvable problem with modern technology; lack of hot outer space babes is much harder

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Unfortunately, it is not possible to calculate the probability of the Voyager space probes being refurbished by another civilization and sold at a great price. This is because it involves speculative and unknown factors, such as the existence and technological capabilities of other civilizations, their interest in refurbishing space probes, and the economic value they might assign to such a purchase. Without concrete data or evidence, it is purely speculative to assign a probability to this scenario.

The probability is zero.  Because their governments are hiding the existence of Voyager space probes from them.

• Drool 1

18 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

but i admit the existence of Oklahoma is a strong argument for leaving

i suggest we nuke Oklahoma (and Russia while at it) and stay with the hot bitches on earth. i mean, Oklahoma is an easily solvable problem with modern technology; lack of hot outer space babes is much harder

I think I heard part of an interview with them on NPR a few months ago. The section I heard was great, and I will have to go digging for it. Thanks for the reminder.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think every society in the multiverse will have record snobs, so no doubt a turntable will be available. 

dude you have to hear this on the original gold. It’ll blow your mind. 

Look SOINSRR(B&&#$$_(*&GHWEB, I just enjoy the voyager record on vinyl, okay?  

IT FEELS WARMER!  (plugs in McIntosh pre-amp).

• Drool 1

I'm not so sure I agree 100% with your policework there Lou..
According to NASA, she's about 22.5 hours light time away, or 15 billion miles. Give or Take.  A light year is 6 trillion miles (again, approximate).  That's .25% of a light year, not 25%. 
Voyager is the fastest moving man made object in history @ 38,000 mph, for 46 years, and she's not even a light day away.  As a species, we aren't getting out of this solar system anytime soon. 

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I'm not so sure I agree 100% with your policework there Lou..

According to NASA, she's about 22.5 hours light time away, or 15 billion miles. Give or Take.  A light year is 6 trillion miles (again, approximate).  That's .25% of a light year, not 25%. 

Voyager is the fastest moving man made object in history @ 38,000 mph, for 46 years, and she's not even a light day away.  As a species, we aren't getting out of this solar system anytime soon. 

Do you even UAP thread, bro?

On 2/15/2024 at 7:07 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

NASA sounds like that may be the end of her 46+ year career:

Garbelled 1s and 0's only

thats a heck of a run.

Had a brief convo on this yesterday.  Thinking about the folks that engineered and built this are no longer alive is wild.  I work with some of the chief engineers are the JWST and I asked if we could replicate this feat with today’s tech and engineering.   He said no lol too much shit to break and go wrong  I’m sure he said it in jest.  But pretty wild 46 years and still “working”

16 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Could NASA just send another probe with a robot repairman to go “bang it on the side?” That’s how my old man used to get our 46 year old TV to straighten up. 

CHIEF

We all already have a side-bang.  Do you even South Austin's Mom, bro?

I kept my oldest up way too late last night looking at some of the earlier images from Voyager 1.  I regaled her with tales of how the science teachers I had when I was her age used those images to get us interested in space exploration and I was hooked ever since.  It warms my heart to know that it's gonna sling-shot around something out there soon that we'll never know about.  And either some primitive species will look to their heavens and see it moving particularly unusual and wonder what it is and inspire them.  Or a much more advanced species will see it and think, "That's cute, the humans from across the Milky Way lost their toy."  

Godspeed Voyager 1, you made all of our lives a little richer.  Godspeed...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

When does the warranty run out?

Hello.  This is a courtesy call to inform you that your deep-space vehicle may be eligible for an extended warranty program.  Press one to speak with a Plutonian representative.  Press two to placed on our do not orbit list.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:59 PM, ClubWhatever said:

the phantom menace GIF by Star Wars

this dude is gonna end up with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, troph said:

V1 is what made me love astronomy, college level astronomy is what made me hate astronomy. 

One of my favorite classes at UT was ET Life.  Had to estimate how many intelligent species are out there that want to communicate with us.  You plugged in a bunch of factors/requirements but the final one was that they don't blow themselves up before contacting us.

On 2/16/2024 at 9:44 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

Had a brief convo on this yesterday.  Thinking about the folks that engineered and built this are no longer alive is wild.

Facts like this put into perspective the practicality of humans colonizing another habitable planet. In the time it took for all of its designers to die, Voyager traveled 0.0025 light years from Earth. The nearest potentially habitable planet is 4 light years away - or 1,600x as far as Voyager has gotten so far.

Even allowing for continued acceleration, you’re still looking at a journey that would last thousands of years and hundreds of generations - just to get to a potentially viable planet. 

Unless we discover some new physics that allows for near light speed travel, it will never make sense to send human beings on a planet colonizing mission. 

I love the fact that the Voyager 2 happened to take advantage of the planetary alignment that happens once every 175 years in order to visit the 4 gas giants. 

That these craft left before I was born, I can remember the Neptune flyby, and that one is still communicating is just wild. 

Unmanned probes are so much better bang for buck than manned programs. 

Edited by Nightfly
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Facts like this put into perspective the practicality of humans colonizing another habitable planet. In the time it took for all of its designers to die, Voyager traveled 0.0025 light years from Earth. The nearest potentially habitable planet is 4 light years away - or 1,600x as far as Voyager has gotten so far.

Even allowing for continued acceleration, you’re still looking at a journey that would last thousands of years and hundreds of generations - just to get to a potentially viable planet. 

Unless we discover some new physics that allows for near light speed travel, it will never make sense to send human beings on a planet colonizing mission. 

In my portfolio we are starting with tech maturation for the habitable worlds observatory with the sole purpose and focus on finding this. I believe it will be focusing on the “Goldilocks” zone 

On 2/15/2024 at 2:14 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I think every society in the multiverse will have record snobs, so no doubt a turntable will be available. 

dude you have to hear this on the original gold. It’ll blow your mind. 

Let's just pray that our forthcoming space overlords, given the road map to our domination by us, don't show up to take over earth with 2 turn tables and microphone.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Wasn’t there some supposed breakthrough on warp energy or some shit a couple of years back?  That’s what it would take. I think that asshole that used to be axiom of fuckheads or whatever came in to quash it pretty quickly. 

5 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Well and there is the whole “unless we find a planet that is a pretty close facsimile to earth, colonization would take some pretty significant terraforming engineering….and if we have that capability why not just use it here on the home planet” thing. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:59 PM, ClubWhatever said:

Plus it was removed from it's original packaging.

8 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well and there is the whole “unless we find a planet that is a pretty close facsimile to earth, colonization would take some pretty significant terraforming engineering….and if we have that capability why not just use it here on the home planet” thing. 

Yep, that issue is massive as well. It’s why the idea that we’ll escape climate change by colonizing Mars is so dumb. How do you terraform a planet with virtually no water, no magnetic field, less sunlight, and only a fraction of Earth’s gravity? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yep, that issue is massive as well. It’s why the idea that we’ll escape climate change by colonizing Mars is so dumb. How do you terraform a planet with virtually no water, no magnetic field, less sunlight, and only a fraction of Earth’s gravity? 

Right and if we were actually able to do all that stuff to Mars why would we go to the hassle of trying to do it ~140 million miles away instead of just using the same capacity to fix the things we have fucked up here.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

You push the button on the old alien tech, duh. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

But if the soviets are going to do it we have to.

On 2/17/2024 at 7:43 AM, troph said:

the phantom menace GIF by Star Wars

this dude is gonna end up with it.

That’s my worry.  That other species will think we are trying to participate in Planetvana - and we wind up selling the Earth for cheap.   

Somebody forgets to include the “as-is” warranty clause…because of Oklahoma…and we have a mass of pissed off Toydarians wanting their money back. 

On 2/15/2024 at 1:32 PM, Celery Man said:

50 years we get voyager returned with this added

.-- .... .- - / .... .- - .... / --. --- -.. / .-- .-. --- ..- --. .... - ..--..
 .--. . .- -.-. . / --- -. / . .- .-. - .... ,
 .--. ..- .-. .. - -.-- / --- ..-. / . ... ... . -. -.-. .

POE.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

from the wiki:

"The Sabatier reaction has been proposed as a key step in reducing the cost of human mission to Mars (Mars Direct, SpaceX Starship) through in situ resource utilization. Hydrogen is combined with CO2 from the atmosphere, with methane then stored as fuel and the water side product electrolyzed yielding oxygen to be liquefied and stored as oxidizer and hydrogen to be recycled back into the reactor. The original hydrogen could be transported from Earth or separated from Martian sources of water."

Once you have the ability to manufacture CH4 in situ on mars, you can start moving asteroids from the asteroid belt to martian lagrangian orbits.  Once you have enough mass, you move everyone off the planet for 5 years.  They live in orbit while you crash thousands of small asteroids in to the poles, releasing all of the water and oxygen.   When the "dust clears" you should have something to work with.

The terraforming part (flora) is easy.  We could start today.  It's just a matter of money.

It's the fauna part that is going to require getting medievial, because of the lack of the magnetic field.