Lake Travis ISD faces $1.5 million lawsuit over peanut allergy incident

Mittens

We've seen the incident discussed quite a bit in the recruiting thread, but figured it deserves it's own thread at this point.  If there's already a thread, my bad - I searched!

Lake Travis ISD faces $1.5 million lawsuit over peanut allergy incident

The parent of a former Lake Travis ISD high school student has sued the district for $1.5 million, arguing it was “deliberately indifferent” to bullying her son faced over his severe peanut allergy.

Carter Mannon transferred to a Leander ISD high school earlier this year because of the October incident in which two of the football player's teammates put peanuts in his locker, uniform and cleats, as the Austin American-Statesman reported.

Shawna Mannon filed the lawsuit Saturday in the U.S. District Court of the Western District of Texas. Superintendent Paul Norton and Lake Travis High Head Football Coach Hank Carter, Principal Debbie Garinger and Assistant Principal Sandra Surdy are named as defendants.

Lake Travis ISD said it is aware of the lawsuit.

“We take all allegations of bullying and harassment seriously,” it said in a statement.

Several people spoke out about bullying related to food allergies at a school board meeting in November. Shawna Mannon said the incident occurred after Carter's teammates asked him if his peanut allergy could kill him. She said Carter, who carries an EpiPen for his peanut allergy, told them exposure could be deadly for him.

Mannon said while one of the boys had “second thoughts” and emptied the cleats, Carter was still exposed to the residue when he held the shoes. He then developed hives on his arm.

“Since this incident, my son has faced backlash and retaliation almost daily,” she told trustees in November.

Mannon also described the punishment Carter’s teammates received as “minimal.” Both of his teammates were suspended for two games. A Lake Travis ISD investigation also determined the incident was not bullying, according to Community Impact.

During a school board meeting last month, several members of the football team argued the incident was blown out of proportion and that Mannon was sharing inaccurate information about what happened in the locker room.

The lawsuit addressed the players' remarks directly and noted that while football players said they did not witness bullying, they “acknowledged that peanuts were placed in [Carter’s] locker by [another student] with the intent to harm him.”

Mannon alleges Lake Travis ISD failed to address ongoing bullying which endangered her son’s life and violated his rights under the the Americans with Disabilities Act. The federal civil rights law protects students with food allergies from discrimination if that allergy interferes with things such as breathing and speaking.

“Despite attempts to involve school officials, the harassment continued, leading C.M. to transfer to another district for his safety,” the lawsuit states. “LTISD’s action and inaction created a hostile environment and exacerbated the situation, demonstrating deliberate discrimination against C.M. and causing him harm.”

Lake Travis ISD officials have said they disagree with the allegations in the suit.

“We look forward to responding through the appropriate legal channels,” the district said. “The safety of our students and staff is our highest priority. Given that this now involves litigation, we do not plan to have any further comments at this time.”

Mannon's lawsuit also asks the court to require district staff, teachers and students to undergo “effective” training on how to prevent and stop discrimination and bullying related to a disability.

• Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I am so confused by this story. It seems like clear bullying according to the article. 

What are the missing details that “members of the football team” argued?

"We've won State six (7?) times, so we should be allowed to do whatever we want."

• Hook 'Em 8

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Isn't Baker Mayfield is an alumni of that high school? I guess that program produces douchebags. Must be in the water there.

The stories out of that district are endless, whether you're talking about the infamous butt sex book banning (not the only book banning), the sexual assault of younger football players in the locker room, Qanon morons taking over school board meetings, etc. etc.,   but a shining example of the community is when there was a massive kegger, sanctioned by parents, thrown during the early days of the pandemic.  We're talking early days before the politics took over, when everyone was hunkered down at home and wondering what exactly we were dealing with.  Hundreds and hundreds of kids hanging out together and partying while everyone else was doing the responsible thing.  People died.

Obviously, tons of good people live out there, probably even a majority, but their success in football has allowed the scum of the earth to dictate terms and the assholes dominate.  It's one of the ultimate football-first communities in Texas, built on Austin taxpayers' money before they got big enough to outrun recapture.  We've had a number of friends move out of Austin to the area based in large part on their schools being ranked higher than AISD.  Every single one of them moved back after a year or two of putting up with the shitty community.  I could see living out there after the kids are grown, when I wouldn't have to deal with anyone else unless I chose to, but I don't know how decent people put up with the nutbaggery that invades the school district.  Baker Mayfield is definitely the poster child for that fucked up place.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Hundreds and hundreds of kids hanging out together and partying while everyone else was doing the responsible thing.  People died.

Who died?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Who died?

People in the community following the super spreader event.    This was early days before the weak had been culled, so some kids got to say goodbye to grandma because they needed a beer so badly.  I don't blame the kids, FWIW.  I would have probably done the same thing at that age.  It was the parents who sanctioned the party, bought the booze, and then defended the actions even after it turned into a disaster that I think can eat a big bag of dicks.

EDIT TO ADD:  Regardless of whether you think that was appropriate behavior or not, it's an example of the entitlement of that community.  This wasn't a year or two into the pandemic when vaccines were readily available, and the most vulnerable among us had already largely been exposed.  This was early on when everyone was supposed to be locked down.  When we didn't know what we were dealing with.   Some folks don't think rules apply to them, or that notions of the common good have any validity whatsoever.  They fucked around and found out, though. 

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)

The incident itself was terrible. The article didn’t describe the details of the parent’s charge of on-going retaliation and harassment. So why is everyone assuming the school district is automatically at fault? Could it not just be some shitty kids did the original act?

Edited by Dbeasy

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

LTISD: where parents of highly touted athletic prospects send their kids in hopes of one day having a chance to steal millions from them

Well, Russell Erxlaben lived out there….

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

The incident itself was terrible. The article didn’t describe the details of the parent’s charge of on-going retaliation and harassment. So why is everyone assuming the school district is automatically at fault? 

Because:

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

A Lake Travis ISD investigation also determined the incident was not bullying, according to Community Impact.

And

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Could it not just be some shitty kids?

They were shitty because they were bullying him.  Police charges should have been filed against them as well, but it’s Lake Travis, so…

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Isn't Baker Mayfield is an alumni of that high school? I guess that program produces douchebags. Must be in the water there.

Literally, it's the human douche bags in the water over there.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hornbri said:

I am so confused by this story. It seems like clear bullying according to the article. 

That suspending players might affect their win-loss record.

Of course it's clear bullying. But football!

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Hope the family wins the lawsuit and the district has to pay their lawyer fees.

The local taxpayers will pay the fees/lawsuit, and as long as no football players are seriously punished, they will consider it money well spent.

Just now, jdhorn92 said:

Believe he is USC bound.

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You Got It Win GIF by Sealed With A GIF

They aren’t going to seriously punish anybody on the football team.

or any coaches. And if they aren't going to punish coaches, they aren't going to punish administration. I mean why should the fans suffer for the actions of the players?

I attended Lake Travis elementary back before Lake Travis ISD even existed. Lake Travis elem was one of two elementary schools in Dripping Springs ISD at the time. Back then, other than the kids from Lakeway, everybody was redneck. And we were ALL white trash. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My oldest grandson attended elementary school in LTISD 20 years ago. 
He was bullied constantly by some assholes because he had a pronounced drop foot limp caused by his cerebral palsy. 
Life improved considerably when he started going to RRISD schools.

What the fuck. How did you, or the parents, or some teachers, or some peers, or any combination of the above, not beat those bullies within in inch or two of their lives?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, hornbri said:

The kid who was bullied played in the game that same night. Meaning he wasn’t actually hurt. They placed peanuts in, then dumped them out after second thoughts, residue got in kid, but he was fine enough to play in the game. Kids who were responsible were suspended. 

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What the fuck. How did you, or the parents, or some teachers, or some peers, or any combination of the above, not best those bullies within in inch or two of their lives?

Son did that, but got little support from the school, plus they were undergoing a contentious divorce. 
And it was difficult to manage, what with living 50 miles away.
“Kids will be kids” the school said.

Posted (edited)

The bullying can be brutal.  It can be especially brutal when the kids KNOW the administration isn't going to do shit... because of the kids will be kids defense.

I remember having some mom call my wife up wanting to talk about some incident between her son and my daughter.  Apparently they were playing Soccer at school, and the darling son tripped my daughter from behind saying, "that's a trip." She fucking attacked his ass and scratched him up a bit.  So naive, that dumbass mom, her darling child wold never do such a thing.  Well my daughter doesn't go off attacking folks for no reason and there were plenty of witnesses.

Same kid called my daughters bestie a "lesbian" and  she hauled off and fucking crushed his shin with a brutal kick.  He rolled around in agony and made a huge scene. And deservedly the girl got in trouble for the kick.  But you would have thought after my daughter bested him he would quit fucking with the gals that were playing soccer at a high level.  That kick to the shins was legendary.

Having coached kids from 8-18 I still think that Middle School is the most pure form of Darwinism we have in the United States.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 7

16 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

“Kids will be kids” the school said.

They're still saying it.  It's the favorite saying for generations of enabling pieces of shit who enable pieces of shit.  "Boys will be boys" being the other common variant.  When you hear that phrase, you know you're talking to a fucking moron.  

• Hook 'Em 9

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Except he WAS hurt.  He DID have an allergic reaction.  Just lucky enough that it wasn't so severe as to take him out of action.  "The bullet only grazed him, so no harm, no foul" isn't the flex you think it is.

Kids who were responsible 1) asked him if peanuts could kill him, 2) clearly heard the answer of "yep, they can," and then 3) chose to put the peanuts in his clothing with that knowledge.  

They got off with a fucking slap on the wrist.  But you wanna know who got relentlessly punished for the event?  THE VICTIM.  The culture out there in LT, which is sick as fuck, has relentlessly hounded him and harassed him for getting the WRONGDOERS in trouble. Because....and this is very, very, very very important....the wrongdoers are good at football.

Fucking bullying in the first place, and then relentless retaliatory bullying.  What a shithole of a community.  Lots to be proud of out there.

Super Troopers Good Job GIF by Searchlight Pictures

I have found this story to be a solid litmus test when meeting someone from that area.  If they defend this shit, even in the backhanded, passive way we're seen in this thread, I know they're not worth one more second of my time.

• Hook 'Em 9

Y’all need help with reading comprehension and emotion control….

Read the thread: Someone asked “I wonder what the kids said at the school board meeting?”  I replied with, “they probably said this…”

I was a USAF brat who’d moved from Turkey for Jr/Sr year, thus an outsider the two years I spent at Burkburnett HS with kids who’d all known each other since diapers…so maybe my HS experience was different than most of y’all.  

Regardless, anyone I met who legit spends more than a minute talking about high school is a fuckin dullard who peaked at 17 and likely the type to chuckle at this shit.  High School was a means to have choices when it came to college, little else.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Were kids in the 70s frequently sick or dying from unknown reasons that we just didn’t talk about? In twelve years with hundreds of kids, I can’t recall even a single mention of nut allergies. No warnings at school, no BOLOs at Halloween, not a peep. What the fuck happened?

Edited by Ben Tobin
Spellink

1 minute ago, Ben Tobin said:

We’re kids in the 70s frequently sick or dying from unknown reasons that we just didn’t talk about? In twelve years with hundreds of kids, I can’t recall even a single mention of nut allergies. No warnings at school, no BOLOs at Halloween, not a peep. What the fuck happened?

Yes, but...

Nut allergies have gotten more common, or at least severe nut allergies have gotten more common. This is a fact. The reason why is being debated. Not sure if any one hypotheses is currently leading the field or not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2