Lake Travis ISD faces $1.5 million lawsuit over peanut allergy incident

Mittens

29 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Y’all need help with reading comprehension and emotion control….

Read the thread: Someone asked “I wonder what the kids said at the school board meeting?”  I replied with, “they probably said this…”

You made a stupid comment, then doubled and now tripled down on it.  Why don't you go ahead and quote your own post where you wrote "they probably said this"?

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Y’all need help with reading comprehension and emotion control….

Read the thread: Someone asked “I wonder what the kids said at the school board meeting?”  I replied with, “they probably said this…”

Did you? I don't think you understand how quotation marks work. But go ahead, find the part of your post that said "They probably said this" 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Except he WAS hurt.  He DID have an allergic reaction.  Just lucky enough that it wasn't so severe as to take him out of action.  "The bullet only grazed him, so no harm, no foul" isn't the flex you think it is.

Kids who were responsible 1) asked him if peanuts could kill him, 2) clearly heard the answer of "yep, they can," and then 3) chose to put the peanuts in his clothing with that knowledge.  

They got off with a fucking slap on the wrist.  But you wanna know who got relentlessly punished for the event?  THE VICTIM.  The culture out there in LT, which is sick as fuck, has relentlessly hounded him and harassed him for getting the WRONGDOERS in trouble. Because....and this is very, very, very very important....the wrongdoers are good at football.

Fucking bullying in the first place, and then relentless retaliatory bullying.  What a shithole of a community.  Lots to be proud of out there.

Just like the Baylor rape victims got shamed by the Briles defenders and were hounded out of school..

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Ben Tobin said:

Were kids in the 70s frequently sick or dying from unknown reasons that we just didn’t talk about? In twelve years with hundreds of kids, I can’t recall even a single mention of nut allergies. No warnings at school, no BOLOs at Halloween, not a peep. What the fuck happened?

I'm 60 years old.  I had my first extreme reaction to a peanut when I was 3.  My dad, completely without knowledge of my allergy, said I could have a peanut at a dinner party my parents were throwing.

I was puking my guts out within 3 minutes.

So yeah, kids in the 70s were getting sick.  It's more common now, for reasons that aren't fully understood, but it's been a thing for a long time.  Kids have to be vigilant, but that doesn't include being on the lookout for CLASSMATES TRYING TO HURT OR KILL THEM.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm 60 years old.  I had my first extreme reaction to a peanut when I was 3.  My dad, completely without knowledge of my allergy, said I could have a peanut at a dinner party my parents were throwing.

I was puking my guts out within 3 minutes.

So yeah, kids in the 70s were getting sick.  It's more common now, for reasons that aren't fully understood, but it's been a thing for a long time.  Kids have to be vigilant, but that doesn't include being on the lookout for CLASSMATES TRYING TO HURT OR KILL THEM.

Shit, that’s terrible. Did your parents let people around you know? I’m sure I would have been around folks allergic and no one said anything 

3 minutes ago, Ben Tobin said:

Shit, that’s terrible. Did your parents let people around you know? I’m sure I would have been around folks allergic and no one said anything 

Oh, absolutely.  I went through the whole battery of skin tests that identified all kinds of allergies, and every teacher I had until I was probably in middle school was briefed on the issues.  Other parents were great.  (Back then.  Now, not so much.)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ben Tobin said:

Were kids in the 70s frequently sick or dying from unknown reasons that we just didn’t talk about? In twelve years with hundreds of kids, I can’t recall even a single mention of nut allergies. No warnings at school, no BOLOs at Halloween, not a peep. What the fuck happened?

Your parents were weak defective individuals.  That's why we have peanut allergies and wokeness.  I assign blame to everyone except me, personally.  BTW this wasn't a personal attack, I'm sure your parents were fine, strict mormon vegans who never partook.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Isn't Baker Mayfield is an alumni of that high school? I guess that program produces douchebags. Must be in the water there.

douchebag parents = douchebag kids 

proven over and over 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Except he WAS hurt.  He DID have an allergic reaction.  Just lucky enough that it wasn't so severe as to take him out of action.  "The bullet only grazed him, so no harm, no foul" isn't the flex you think it is.

Kids who were responsible 1) asked him if peanuts could kill him, 2) clearly heard the answer of "yep, they can," and then 3) chose to put the peanuts in his clothing with that knowledge.  

They got off with a fucking slap on the wrist.  But you wanna know who got relentlessly punished for the event?  THE VICTIM.  The culture out there in LT, which is sick as fuck, has relentlessly hounded him and harassed him for getting the WRONGDOERS in trouble. Because....and this is very, very, very very important....the wrongdoers are good at football.

Fucking bullying in the first place, and then relentless retaliatory bullying.  What a shithole of a community.  Lots to be proud of out there.

100% the harassment and bullying kept going. Coaches and players never stopped 

7 hours ago, Ben Tobin said:

Before vaccines kids never died

• Like 1

Is this the same football program that should have gotten in trouble for sodomy of younger players? I want to say it happened when Garrett Wilson was a HS senior?

Parents of the victim dropped the charges, I think.

11 hours ago, Ben Tobin said:

A lot of people say GMOs in wheat and other produce have triggered severe allergic conditions in people predisposed, but I like to think it’s nature punishing humans for veering too far from our carnivore roots. Nobody ever got a life threatening reaction to brisket or a ribeye in their shoe!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A lot of people say GMOs in wheat and other produce have triggered severe allergic conditions in people predisposed, but I like to think it’s nature punishing humans for veering too far from our carnivore roots. Nobody ever got a life threatening reaction to brisket or a ribeye in their shoe!

The boy that goes to our dance studio has alpha-gal and has to wear synthetic dance shoes because even just contact with leather fucks him up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not so fast. The times are changing. A Lone Star tick in your show could possibly lead to Alpha-gal, which leads to an allergy to mammal flesh and related products. It can be deadly.

I have nothing to back this up, but a couple of thoughts:

We are a larger country today by 100 million or so there's that.

Also, might have been some undiagnosed fatalities way back then which would have lessened the observed pool of allergy sufferers v  today.

16 hours ago, Homercles said:

I was a USAF brat who’d moved from Turkey for Jr/Sr year, thus an outsider the two years I spent at Burkburnett HS with kids who’d all known each other since diapers…so maybe my HS experience was different than most of y’all.  

Regardless, anyone I met who legit spends more than a minute talking about high school is a fuckin dullard who peaked at 17 and likely the type to chuckle at this shit.  High School was a means to have choices when it came to college, little else.  

For me high school was an endless party, but I graduated in 1979. Which just so happens to be the peak year of teen drug and alcohol use in US history.  Most of the better athletes smoked weed, and keg parties were endless.  I could talk hours about high school, just telling pussy stories.  I could talk days about the mind blowing parties we hosted and attended.  But I will keep the talk under a minute to maintain my "not a high school dullard who peaked at 17."  But I will also say my high school peaks were far beyond most folks college peaks... And they still make me smile and shake my head that nothing worse happened to me.

But Bullying is always the same thing, preying on somebody different or weaker.  

That is also why this poor kid got fucked over with additional bullying after his folks hit the WTF button. These kids were "cooler" than the kid they preyed on and they got the support from the tribe that the victim did not.  The kid did not leave school because of the initial act of bullying.  The kid left school because most of the school AND the administration stood with the bullies rather than the victim.  The school didn't act on the initial act, complaining about continued and sustained bullying, wasn't going to garner any help either.  So the choice is continue to be the victim, or change schools and disrupt YOUR life.  Of course had the victim attacked the two kids each individually from behind and beat the shit out of them...  The admin would act on behalf of the darling little bullies.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is truly remarkable.

We looked at several houses in the Lakeway area when we decided to move back to Austin.  I'll never forget one of my friends warning me about the culture there.  In essence, he said that the obsession with sports and football almost trumped everything else at Lake Travis.  This was coming from a guy with deep athletic genes running through the family with boys playing across various varsity sports.  

One night, we went to dinner in Lakeway and I looked around and said, "man... everyone looks exactly the same."  We realized, yeah, Lakeway is not going to be for us.  Bullet dodged.

Oh... and I have a kid with peanut allergies... mild but has them... hope the family rakes them over the coals.

9 minutes ago, texasdago said:

We looked at several houses in the Lakeway area when we decided to move back to Austin. 

Before my ex and I had kids, we kicked the tires on a few homes in Eanes around 2005 or so, but always had a concern about the eventual high school environment at Westlake. 

We also looked at some places that would have been in the Lake Travis ISD, and at the time it was just "too far."  Now, it would be just a "fuck no" all around.

41 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I have nothing to back this up, but a couple of thoughts:

We are a larger country today by 100 million or so there's that.

Also, might have been some undiagnosed fatalities way back then which would have lessened the observed pool of allergy sufferers v  today.

There was a Netflix doc series several years ago and each episode was some scandal in the food industry.  One was peanut allergy and a restaurants use of peanut oil and lying about it.  I think the episode claimed that there was a shift in doctor's recommendation at some point where they all started advising parents to keep newborns away from certain foods until they were of age, and that actually created a boom in food allergies.  

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Before my ex and I had kids, we kicked the tires on a few homes in Eanes around 2005 or so, but always had a concern about the eventual high school environment at Westlake. 

We also looked at some places that would have been in the Lake Travis ISD, and at the time it was just "too far."  Now, it would be just a "fuck no" all around.

Yup... we spent so much time in town and by in town I mean between Ben White and campus that living in Lakeway would have been awful.  In fact, one of the worst parts of taking a roadtrip to the Rockies is getting through F'ing Lakeway.  

Today I'm 15 minutes from Zilker/downtown.  In Lakeway, I would've been 15 minutes from Karens in Bee Cave.

Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 9:01 AM, texasdago said:

We looked at several houses in the Lakeway area when we decided to move back to Austin.  I'll never forget one of my friends warning me about the culture there.  In essence, he said that the obsession with sports and football almost trumped everything else at Lake Travis.  This was coming from a guy with deep athletic genes running through the family with boys playing across various varsity sports.  

One night, we went to dinner in Lakeway and I looked around and said, "man... everyone looks exactly the same."  We realized, yeah, Lakeway is not going to be for us.  Bullet dodged.

Oh... and I have a kid with peanut allergies... mild but has them... hope the family rakes them over the coals.

I honestly couldn’t stay but for the proximity and access to the actual lake. And I can’t figure out the appeal if not the water.

But anyway, we have almost zero friends out here. Not our people.
My kids are lake Travis band kids, at least one coulda been in athletics past 8th grade, it was easy to side step the athletic toxic garbage. We stopped trying to compete athletically with any intensity by the 5th grade. My youngest did decide he likes tennis and playing one season competitively for his school was more than enough for him. He still plays for fun but the athletic culture out here is not something that my sons care for.  My other son surfs sails and mountain/road bikes so we aren’t lacking physical activity. So if you steer your kids from it that toxic world fades away pretty fast.

Add being out here for the lake changes everything at least for us. I just won’t trade easy unplanned boat nights or these views for Austin bullshit. 

IMG_3989.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, troph said:

I honestly couldn’t stay but for the proximity and access to the actual lake. And I can’t figure out the appeal if not the water.

But anyway, we have almost zero friends out here. Not our people.
My kids are lake Travis band kids, at least one coulda been in athletics past 8th grade, it was easy to side step the athletic toxic garbage. We stopped trying to compete athletically with any intensity by the 5th grade. My youngest did decide he likes tennis and playing one season competitively for his school was more than enough for him. He still plays for fun but the athletic culture out here is not something that my sons care for.  My other son surfs sails and mountain/road bikes so we aren’t lacking physical activity. So if you steer your kids from it that toxic world fades away pretty fast.

Add being out here for the lake changes everything at least for us. I just won’t trade easy unplanned boat days or these views for Austin bullshit. 

IMG_3989.jpeg

IMG_3429.jpeg

That view sucks. How do you sleep at night having to look at that dump of a view before going to bed. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, immamac said:

That view sucks. How do you sleep at night having to look at that dump of a view before going to bed. 

It’s extreme I get it, but there are thousands out here for the lake not the bullshit. I’m just trying to balance out the discussion to highlight the appeal that Austin does not have.  Exception - Tarrytown / Westwood / westlake by lake Austin, etc have a similar vibe and a similar bullshit culture with some variation for politics and city vs burb vibes.

Lakeway / Bee Cave / LTISD blow donkey balls unless you’re here for the lake, boating, golfing or flying airplanes (small private airstrip). It was a retirement community for a long time for a reason. If the recreational aspects not your reason for being out here you’re suspect imo. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, troph said:

It’s extreme I get it, but there are thousands out here for the lake not the bullshit. I’m just trying to balance out the discussion to highlight the appeal that Austin does not have.  Exception - Tarrytown / Westwood / westlake by lake Austin, etc have a similar vibe and a similar bullshit culture with some variation for politics and city vs burb vibes.

Lakeway / Bee Cave / LTISD blow donkey balls unless you’re here for the lake, boating, golfing or flying airplanes (small private airstrip). It was a retirement community for a long time for a reason. If the recreational aspects not your reason for being out here you’re suspect imo. 

My in-laws lived in LT for ~20 years (hudson bend). I'm well versed in the vibe out there and I still don't really understand it especially the last 8-10 years where the lake has basically not existed for nearly half of that time. When the lake is up though it's awesome to be able to just go to the dock, hop on your boat and go for a cruise on a sparsely populated lake with great views. Outside of the lake access it's very keep up with the Jones's vibes mixed with nepo or fraudulent small business vibes. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, immamac said:

My in-laws lived in LT for ~20 years (hudson bend). I'm well versed in the vibe out there and I still don't really understand it especially the last 8-10 years where the lake has basically not existed for nearly half of that time. When the lake is up though it's awesome to be able to just go to the dock, hop on your boat and go for a cruise on a sparsely populated lake with great views. Outside of the lake access it's very keep up with the Jones's vibes mixed with nepo or fraudulent small business vibes. 

There’s a shit ton of real but new money out here now too. The remote work revolution changed a lot and there are legit mid sized company CEOs, private equity / VC types, investment bankers etc that live here now too. It’s a very odd mix of rough hollow real housewives kinda shit, (keep up with the jones types), lake rats, Lakeway olds, 17 lgbtq families, and obscene money. 

We try to just opt out, and enjoy the recreation.

Edited by troph

Posted (edited)

And by the way, there are a LOT of people out here mad the bullies didn’t get kicked off the team. Hell, leave the peanuts in his shoes and it’s attempted fucking murder, negligent homicide a possible realistic conviction had he died.

There are a TON of families that despise the football first and only attitude. I mean shit they have stupid priorities and still can’t beat Westlake.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

I rarely see a cop and I’ve been doing that drive for 4 years. I’m talking people going 15 under for no fucking reason at all. 

Reported. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Well damned if that is one I haven't heard.  Made me laugh... as my deceased father in law would sometimes curse... Balls!

There’s this place across the Texas Mexico border… never mind I’ve only heard about it.