New US Citizens

Spoetzl

I'm wondering how excited the friends of the ones who "skipped the line" are?  I wonder if they had parties and talked about how excited they are to be US citizens.  

They were all sworn in.  Great for them. Congratulations. 

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

He said, "If they fuck with me over there George Bush will tell them to suck my cock. Suck my American cock you motherfuckers."

Yes, that was part of the oath upon swearing in, verbatim.  Honestly, I teared up.

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was banging this gal for a few years, whose husband was an immigrant from Adana Turkey.  He got his citizenship like over 20 years ago - I can't remember if it was late 90s or early 2000s and I never asked him if it was before or after 9/11 (seems like it might have become a little more difficult for some regions after 9/11).  

I do remember asking him every now and then if he was from Adama, Turkey, and he'd get kind of irritated and say "no, it's Adana, Turkey" and then I'd say "so say we all".

Understand Captain America GIF

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

How does one "skip the line"?  

well apparently from the above posts, we get some chicks from Turkey, Bosnia, Lebanon, and Syria.  We make a roux, say the Pledge of Allegiance.  And then a gang bang?? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

well apparently from the above posts, we get some chicks from Turkey, Bosnia, Lebanon, and Syria.  We make a roux, say the Pledge of Allegiance.  And then a gang bang?? 

The original pledge, or the revision where the fundies shoehorned “under god” in there?

Most of us have parents or grandparents who used to recite the Pledge with the "Under God" portion while doing the Bellamy Salute.  Now known better as the Heil Hitler gesture.  Even as an elementary school kid, I always thought the Pledge ritual in the morning was so odd.  And I was raised by generations of veterans and public servants.  It's still so odd to me, like my wife anointing my children with holy water before mass.  Either the ideals of the county or christ live in your bones of they don't.  No hand gestures or repetitive speech is gonna change that.  

csb/ In law school, I think it was for CivPro, we went to a swearing-in ceremony for buncha folks in Sacramento.  And it folks from East Asia and Latin America and all points in between.  It was really cool to see.  A bunch of my mother's family was born in Mexico and didn't have proper documentation even until their deaths.  But it was a simpler time.  But I remember these people were all speaking different languages to one another after the swearing-in.  And one person's relative would translate and then another and another.  And the most wonderful aspect of it was they were discussing, aside from the joy of citizenship and new opportunity, was the wonderment of the U.S. Constitution.  They had to learn parts of it for the "test" as we all know.  But they would speak about how amazing it was, so different from anything their home country had.  And they spoke to details that even I didn't know despite literally being there for a law school course based on the Constitution developed by then SCOTUS Justice, Anthony Kennedy.  These people not just learned it by rote, they embraced it.  They were warmed by its light.  They were living it.  

And now I gotta listen to tens of millions of fucking abject morons start conversations, "You know, as a natural born citizen and student of the constitution."  I'll take that Sacramento courtroom of dedicated immigrants over most Texans any day of the fucking week.  Congrats to all our new citizens.  We don't make it to the next thing without you....

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Be white.   Pay money.

Or sneak in illegally.  (No CR)

Just in case you are operating under any misapprhension, no one who enters the United States unlawfully is ever eligible to become a naturalized citizen. 

The rest spend 3-5 years as a permanent resident while completing the requirements to become naturalized.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Where in the world did you go to law school?

McGeorge School of Law.  An extension of the University of the Pacific.  Which now given the "Breaking Bad" universe, sounds like a Saul Goodman campus.  But it is an 'Order of the Coif' school which means a lot in the legal work.  I got to study under Anthony Skrocki (sp?) who basically rewrote all contract law of the last 50 years.  Plus, under SCOTUS justice Anthony Kennedy who was an adjunct professor there.  I finished and about to sit the bar in either California or Texas.  But got called away for something else more pressing and never went back.  I found out I was made out to be a financial and political mercenary.  And it kinda served me okay for a few decades.  It wasn't until the last couple of years that I learned what I was truly capable of.  I've helped people get U.S. Citizenship, to the point of this thread.  there are people that deserve to be here and I want to help them.  They are native born 'Americans' that shouldn't be here.  I handle the money and wash the dirty clothes.  I really didn't understand until I go to middle-aged sobriety and lucidity what all of this meant.  There are people that deserve to be in our borders and there are others that will never see the outside or our borders.  And a few of us whom will expedite all parties involved.  

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Everyone with working skills and a clean arrest record should be allowed to be an American.  We need their talent and their taxes.

Need to work out a system to process and accept legal immigrants quicker so that illegal immigration doesn’t appear to be the better choice. Get these folks a real ssn, and jobs on the books. 

The backlog, as far as I can tell, is leading to some people making dangerous decisions out of what they fee is necessity. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Everyone with working skills and a clean arrest record should be allowed to be an American.  We need their talent and their taxes.

Except the Dutch. Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Green card holders and permanent residents pay taxes as well. You don't have to be a citizen to be required to pay federal taxes.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Put me in the column of preferring Americans who actually want to be and chose to be Americans over "Americans" who are Americans simply by virtue of the fact that their trashy momma and their no-account "father" fucked and later popped out a kid over the dirt of some American trailer park or whatnot.

Pretty much everyone who puts in even a portion of the work it takes to become a citizen is the kind of person I want to call my fellow American.  Good on them all.  It's an amazing thing, to CHOOSE this country.  I never got to do it, and I'm a little bit jealous.

That said, I never imagined that I'd consider choosing someplace OTHER than this country.  But I can imagine it now.  Seeing people from all over the world still choose this place gives me a little bit of hope.  Hope that they will stand and fight to keep it from becoming the kind of shitshow that many of them left behind somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just in case you are operating under any misapprhension, no one who enters the United States unlawfully is ever eligible to become a naturalized citizen. 
The rest spend 3-5 years as a permanent resident while completing the requirements to become naturalized.  
8 years from the first document I submitted to the day I took the oath. That's how long it took for me. By that point I'd been here 21 years. And I was legal.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

That's why I call myself Superhero, because I did it "the way it is supposed to be done". Took a long ass time, but it's worth it.

I wish I could have had family and friends at my citizen ceremony. But this was in LA, and there were probably over 1,000 people being sworn in.

Yes. Make the wall taller, but the gate wider. Allow people who abide by the laws, bring skills and willingness to work (even seasonal farm workers) into the country.

And willingness to work, and integrate into American society.

Holy Crap!  I knew you were of Chinese descent, but I had no idea that you were an immigrant.   You should tell your story some day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Parliament said:

what skills are working skills?

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Um, sure you can and it happens all the time. Most common way is to get a petition approved as an immediate family member of an American citizen, usually spouse. File a provisional waiver of unlawful presence, get your interview scheduled at a consulate once approved, and come back.  The waiting is several months for paperwork approval but you don’t have to do it outside of the U.S. anymore. 

Maybe a week of travel for the farthest destination, then come back on a regular immigrant visa and after the waiting period you can be a citizen like anyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

8 years from the first document I submitted to the day I took the oath. That's how long it took for me. By that point I'd been here 21 years. And I was legal.

Thank you for your patience.  I hope you bought lotsa guns and voted Republican.  (jk)  

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

What’s more American than not wanting to work? 

Not working whilst posting on Surly?