Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

I think he's under contract for two more seasons after this one. I guess the Colts could cut him, but thats reading an awful lot into the situation before we know what direction they go. He's a cheap backup QB (4 yrs/3.6 mil) 

Only 1st rounders have guaranteed rookie deals, so he could be released. But he’s a cheap date and has shown potential so they should keep him. If not he’ll find a gig quickly.

If you are pulling for Sam you don’t want him out there getting pulverized. That’s how the Texans ruined David Carr and thereby set the course for decades of comical futility.

I’d play Foles if I was the Colts and had any belief that Sam had a prominent role in the team’s future. Playing him now is either stupid (pissing away QB of the future) or cynical (Sam as punching bag). 

There was a third possibility under Reich — maybe he believed Sam could save his job. 

Well, that didn’t happen, so….

Hoping he rides pine for now is the smart move. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Doesn't seem like an ideal situation for the players. I guess it could work, but seems nuttier than squirrel shit, like an owner thinking he's bringing the glory days back , when in fact he's bringing in a guy who coached some high school football and talked a lot on tv. I'm sure the other coaches on staff appreciate it. 

Or like an owner who is still popping pills. 

Cowboy fans give Jerry shit but at least he knows some football. Irsay constantly meddles and doesn't know shit. Rivers, Wentz and Ryan were all his ideas. And when they didn't work he backed the bus over them.

Slap in the face of the rest of the coaching staff or any former head or coordinators sitting at home right now. You could argue that all of those coaches either are failing today or at their most recent job. But to bring in someone who has never coached in the NFL? Sam should want to get out of that situation asap.

I wanted to refresh my memory about Irsay and caught the following on Wikipedia.

Irsay played linebacker for the SMU Mustangs football team as a walk-on, but an ankle injury ended his playing career.

Amazing how may players, who can’t make or stay on the next level, claim an injury took out their career. He may have well been hurt but most actual players come back from an injury.

I may start claiming that an injury prevented me from a D1 football scholarship. That and my high coach wouldn’t let me play in high school much. I might leave out the last part.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Slap in the face of the rest of the coaching staff or any former head or coordinators sitting at home right now. You could argue that all of those coaches either are failing today or at their most recent job. But to bring in someone who has never coached in the NFL? Sam should want to get out of that situation asap.

I wanted to refresh my memory about Irsay and caught the following on Wikipedia.

Amazing how may players, who can’t make or stay on the next level, claim an injury took out their career. He may have well been hurt but most actual players come back from an injury.

I may start claiming that an injury prevented me from a D1 football scholarship. That and my high coach wouldn’t let me play in high school much. I might leave out the last part.

I mean he was a walk on and was never going to play much at SMU much less the NFL but ESPN years back did a story on his horrific severe ankle injury that almost cost him his lower leg and dude has walked with a limp ever since.  

29 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I mean he was a walk on and was never going to play much at SMU much less the NFL but ESPN years back did a story on his horrific severe ankle injury that almost cost him his lower leg and dude has walked with a limp ever since.  

You mean the PR stories that blame his pill addiction on his college injuries? At best that story should be met with skepticism.

Irsay played linebacker for the SMU Mustangs football team as a walk-on, but an ankle injury ended his playing career.

You must be reading Jemele Hill’s tirades about this. First, ankles were at the time of Irsay’s injury a mysterious joint that were poorly reconstructed only in situations of severe injury and often the end result was a limp, pain, and nagging issues. My wife had surgery on her ankle last Monday to fix 40 years of injury related junk. The surgery didn’t exist ten years ago.

What legit coach would want to be the interim of this dumpster fire? Saturday is a Colts consultant; I doubt he is the coach in 23. He is a great former player, was a team leader, will galvanize the locker room, and aid in the search for a coach. Colts have to follow the Rooney rule for hiring a permanent coach. Go ahead and be a sheep of the ESPN media on this but Irsay did the best thing. I’m not a fan of his pill addled self but it’s a good interim solution:

You must be reading Jemele Hill’s tirades about this. First, ankles were at the time of Irsay’s injury a mysterious joint that were poorly reconstructed only in situations of severe injury and often the end result was a limp, pain, and nagging issues. My wife had surgery on her ankle last Monday to fix 40 years of injury related junk. The surgery didn’t exist ten years ago.

What legit coach would want to be the interim of this dumpster fire? Saturday is a Colts consultant; I doubt he is the coach in 23. He is a great former player, was a team leader, will galvanize the locker room, and aid in the search for a coach. Colts have to follow the Rooney rule for hiring a permanent coach. Go ahead and be a sheep of the ESPN media on this but Irsay did the best thing. I’m not a fan of his pill addled self but it’s a good interim solution:
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Texzilla58 said:

What legit coach would want to be the interim of this dumpster fire? Saturday is a Colts consultant; I doubt he is the coach in 23. He is a great former player, was a team leader, will galvanize the locker room, and aid in the search for a coach. Colts have to follow the Rooney rule for hiring a permanent coach. Go ahead and be a sheep of the ESPN media on this but Irsay did the best thing. I’m not a fan of his pill addled self but it’s a good interim solution: Amazing how may players, who can’t make or stay on the next level, claim an injury took out their career. He may have well been hurt but most actual players come back from an injury.

You seem regarded. Nobody gives a fuck what Jamele Hill says about this. Logic and reasonability tell us that this is a dumbass move by a pill head.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

@Texzilla58 I have no idea what Jamele Hill has said about Irsay. But I do know that the Irsay is an poor owner who has made many bad decisions. I will give him credit that he made the right decision to draft  Peyton. 

Nothing quite hits home like the NFL owner having to defend the new HC by calling him fully capable at the end of his first day. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Saturday is rolling with Sam right now. A couple of different decisions against the Commanders by Reich might have gotten the Colts a win. I don’t think he was a bad HC at all.

I think Reich’s insistence on bringing in Wentz was really why the relationship with Irsay and Reich fell apart. Reich still had a winning record with a revolving door at QB since Luck retired. He managed to make it the the playoffs with Rivers. That’s not bad coaching to me.

They should have started the season with Sam to see what they had. The OLine is still atrocious. Still Reich had like 7 QBs and a winning overall record. Even for an offensive mind and QB whisperer that is really hard to do. No consistency at QB. I know he really believed in Sam and the Sam move was mainly an Irsay push but Reich wasn’t a bad HC. Not at all. He will get snapped up as an OC somewhere. 7 QBs man…

Edited by Nicole44

You seem regarded. Nobody gives a fuck what Jamele Hill says about this. Logic and reasonability tell us that this is a dumbass move by a pill head.

I’m not saying Irsay is anything other than a drug addict numbskull. What we don’t know is what went on with the remaining staff. He has Gus Bradley as a DC, and John Fox as a defensive consultant. Both former HCs. Interims have different issues to deal with. All existing employed coaches are under contract. So his choices are existing staff, or otherwise employed or unemployed coaches. For an interim job. The colts have to start all over with the Rooney rules after the season, even if the interim is black. In Indy it sounds like anyone on the staff turned down being the interim. All these coaches know they will likely be fired by the new coach which won’t be Saturday. Irsay let Reich fire his OC last week then fired Reich, which painted him in a box. Probably during a Fentanyl patch fueled hallucination event.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is about as quickly as I've seen a typically pretty good franchise turn into an absolute dumpster-fire laughingstock. 

They're going to be so fucking terrible with clowns like that running the show. 

They are just tanking the rest of the year, no way they keep these guys in place next year. They can still turn this around, they aren’t Texan’s level dumpster fire yet.  

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

They are just tanking the rest of the year, no way they keep these guys in place next year. They can still turn this around, they aren’t Texan’s level dumpster fire yet.  

You can still make better interim hires than that. And it's not like they weren't a disaster before Reich got fired. 

Indy hasn't won a playoff game since Luck retired. They haven't won their division since 2014. Houston has 4 division titles since then and did well to get rid of that televangeslit in the clubhouse despite currently being terrible. 

Obviously anyone can turn it around quickly in the NFL - but as of now Indy is a trainwreck after winning 11 games a couple years ago. They need a turnaround at both HC and QB and that's easier said than done. Not to mention whatever is going on with their OLine. 

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, immamac said:

Jeff Saturday is a fucking cunt. They are starting foles over ehlinger. I hope he fucking bails and plays for a team that isn't going to fuck him over. 

I'd say they are saving him from going down on a sinking ship. Saturday and their coaching staff doesn't know what the fuck they are doing, and now Sam isn't going to be associated with their failures. Professional experienced journeyman QBs will be failing, and it will get blamed on the coaches. If Sam was out there failing, he would take the blame.

Could be a lot worse situations for Sam out there. 

• Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, immamac said:

Jeff Saturday is a fucking cunt. They are starting foles over ehlinger. I hope he fucking bails and plays for a team that isn't going to fuck him over. 

So we're just gonna act like Sam didn't stink the joint up when he played? I get it, young, inexperienced, needs to develop. But he did not look like a person who should be playing quarterback in the NFL at this time.

So we're just gonna act like Sam didn't stink the joint up when he played? I get it, young, inexperienced, needs to develop. But he did not look like a person who should be playing quarterback in the NFL at this time.

He actually looked decent against the Washington football team. The Patriots was ugly. They didn’t block. TE dropped an early ball that woulda been a first. Then the Patriots two weeks later held the Jets to 3 points and 100 yards of offense. Mac Jones and all his opportunities also led his team to 3 points.

Not much of an opportunity. I’d guess Sam never gets a real opportunity at this point.

20 hours ago, Zeus said:

I'd say they are saving him from going down on a sinking ship. Saturday and their coaching staff doesn't know what the fuck they are doing, and now Sam isn't going to be associated with their failures. Professional experienced journeyman QBs will be failing, and it will get blamed on the coaches. If Sam was out there failing, he would take the blame.

Could be a lot worse situations for Sam out there. 

I agree here. I feel like he was being set up to fail when he was given the starting job. 

They are doing him a favor. Sam doesn’t need to play behind that line and stink the place up. Colts are a shitshow. Everyone in the league knows it. He learned well from Reich who is a very good qb coach and a poor head coach. Sam will be fine. Whether with colts new staff or new team.

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

He probably won’t get a shot at starting again for a long time.  He just needs to do enough to stay on a roster as a backup now and not get practice squaded.  

Colt McCoy clipboard school of money making method! 

If he ain't gonna be a solid QB or a star, I'd rather see Texas QBs chilling, earning $$ and being everyones favorite QB when the team isn't doing well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sam hasn't played nearly enough football for anyone to write him off as never being a starter. 

I agree but what team or coach right now would give him a shot at starting next year?  No one will, I’d say he’s doing good if he stays suiting up next year as a backup and doesn’t get third string or practice squad