The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's a fucking church, not a house on 1/8 of an acre.  Having some homeless people INSIDE the church keeps them more out of sight (out of mind) than if they were on the street, dying.

The church is literally doing what few churches do these days -- supporting the downtrodden.  You know, like Jesus commanded.

I guess I lied about the previous being my last reply. I promise this is.  I didn’t see that the city stopped this pastor. They just asked him to get his property up to safety code and get permits. He basically refused.  He’s been housing homeless since March so don’t act like the city kicked out the homeless 5 minutes after he opened the doors.

I guess I lied about the previous being my last reply. I promise this is.  I didn’t see that the city stopped this pastor. They just asked him to get his property up to safety code and get permits. He basically refused.  He’s been housing homeless since March so don’t act like the city kicked out the homeless 5 minutes after he opened the doors.

Cool. Can we have laws that clash with your “religious beliefs” or not? Because when those “religious beliefs” are “to hell with the evil queers,” the answer is “NO WAY! MAH RELIGIOUS FREEDOM!” But when the religious belief is “just doing Matthew 25 shit, taking in the hungry and poor,” I suspect that the forces standing up for “RELIGIOUS LIBERTY!” will be nowhere to be found.
That’s the point here. Either the free exercise of religion is protected from govt interference, or it’s not. Except you and I know the real answer: when the “free exercise” at issue is exclusionary, cruel, punishing, etc….THAT is sacrosanct. When the exercise is compassionate and kind, fuck that, FOLLOW THE LAW! RENDER UNTO CAESAR!
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Last word from me on a situation that I admit that I only spent 2  Minutes reading about. I don’t see that the city stopped him from saving people. They just asked him to get the proper permits and meet safety codes. He didn’t. Does that mean his neighbors don’t want him housing homeless? Probably. If I opened my house to dozens of homeless people on an ongoing basis, I’m going to assume my neighbors wouldn’t like it either. That doesn’t make them evil people.

I'll be honest, too: I didn't spend much time before I posted it.  But the story is real and it points to a broken system.  So, the choices for those people are:

1. Develop a long term solution for their homeless problem, particularly in the face of rising homelessness and climate change,
  2. Put a "patch" on the problem (ignore the Code* violations) for a few days until it warms up and then act like nothing happened,
  3. Ignore any solutions and create a confrontation that results in either dead people or jailed pastors.

The question is, what would be the obvious choice for someone of reasonable intellect, foresight, and empathy?

(*There are two Codes here: the land development Code and the building Code.  My suspicion was that this is a land development (Land Development and Use Code) conflict rather than a personal safety one (Building Code).

Edited by Bullneck

8 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I'll be honest, too: I didn't spend much time before I posted it.  But the story is real and it points to a broken system.  So, the choices for those people are:

1. Develop a long term solution for their homeless problem, particularly in the face of rising homelessness and climate change,
  2. Put a "patch" on the problem (ignore the Code* violations) for a few days until it warms up and then act like nothing happened,
  3. Ignore any solutions and create a confrontation that results in either dead people or jailed pastors.

The question is, what would be the obvious choice for someone of reasonable intellect, foresight, and empathy?

(*There are two Codes here: the land development Code and the building Code.  My suspicion was that this is a land development (Land Development and Use Code) conflict rather than a personal safety one (Building Code).

I would say more info is needed, because there is the possibility that he created a dangerous or unhealthy environment if he took in too many.  My guess is that he did not cram people in like cattle cars and people didn’t have to resort to shitting in corners, but if that happened to be the case then my opinion would probably shift.  

Helping people is a good thing. These people needed help and the pastor helped provide that crucial assistance in a dire situation.

Is that not enough?  Why is it something so blatantly good/necessary so sharply scrutinized as to prevent that critical service from being provided at all? (Yes I know govt can fuck up a puppy party so it’s not surprising)

It’s a NIMBY cocktail with a faux-Chrsitianity floater. I’m not a religious person in way, but seems the pastor is doing actual Jesus things.  Make it make sense.

and if shitting in the corner is so bad, why hasn’t my state mandated psychologist said anything about me doing it in my padded cell?!

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

GQP voters don't have time to go to rallies because they are busy working... or something.

We need to spread the rumor that it’s jobless welfare types being paid by Soros.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump can draw decent crowds at his rallies but I assume that 75% of his rallies are these crazies that follow him around the country like groupies. Maybe 25% of the crowd are locals, some of which are crazy.

My Qanon sis-in-law briefly followed him around prior to 2021.  She made it sound like a Grateful Dead thing, that she knew “regulars” that were following the rallies around.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Helping people is a good thing. These people needed help and the pastor helped provide that crucial assistance in a dire situation.

Is that not enough?  Why is it something so blatantly good/necessary so sharply scrutinized as to prevent that critical service from being provided at all? (Yes I know govt can fuck up a puppy party so it’s not surprising)

It’s a NIMBY cocktail with a faux-Chrsitianity floater. I’m not a religious person in way, but seems the pastor is doing actual Jesus things.  Make it make sense.

and if shitting in the corner is so bad, why hasn’t my state mandated psychologist said anything about me doing it in my padded cell?!

For the last time, I'm your landlord, not your Doctor.  Stop shitting in the floor, I'm taking it out of your deposit.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

We need to spread the rumor that it’s jobless welfare types being paid by Soros.

My Qanon sis-in-law briefly followed him around prior to 2021.  She made it sound like a Grateful Dead thing, that she knew “regulars” that were following the rallies around.

Maybe we’ve found the source of some of these syphilis outbreaks @safe sex has talked about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

These New Hampshire voters don’t love everything Trump says. But here’s why they’re planning to back him

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/22/politics/new-hampshire-trump-voters/index.html

Some highlights:

“That’s obviously a fault that I have,” Konchek said about the former president. “I don’t like the way that he speaks sometimes. He can be a little ignorant and rude.”

His loyalty causes tension at home. Konchek’s wife supports Haley now and has never been a Trump fan. But when a Trump flag came in the mail late last year, Konchek quickly and proudly flew it from his porch.

“She said I was ruining Christmas and wanted me to take it down,” Konchek said. “And she took it down and I put it back up.”

Unwelcome drama, and lots of it. But no other candidate repeatedly talks about a livelihood Konchek loves and sees as threatened.

“He’s kind of a bully,” Konchek said.

“But you think he fights for you?” we ask.

“I do. Yep.”

So Trump gets his vote Tuesday.

She’s not a Biden fan, she says, because “he’s been caught in a lot of lies” throughout his 40-plus years in elected office.

We remind her, in a polite understatement, “Trump’s not known as the world’s greatest truth teller.”

No disagreement.

So how is conduct that disqualifies Biden acceptable from Trump?

“I don’t like politicians,” Katsanos said. “I don’t think one term made him a politician.”

Her bottom line on Trump: “Sometimes he just doesn’t know when to shut up.”

But he will get her vote Tuesday because of her bottom line on what she wants most from Washington.

“Close the border and get this economy moving again” is her list. “He’s got faults,” she says of the former president. “He’s not a saint. He doesn’t walk on water. I think he relates to people. He’s relatable.”

Edited by C-Man
  • Rage+1 2

And:

McIver makes $40,000 a year, enjoys the work and is grateful his commute is just a few miles so he has more time with his family.

It is a paycheck-to-paycheck life and inflation is especially tough on those with little to no margin in the family budget.

“With Trump, I was doing pretty good. I was able to save more,” McIver said. “Right now, it is harder. … Your groceries are expensive and the cost of everything you purchase is expensive.”

It is that blue-collar bottom line that keeps him ready to vote for Trump even as he concedes it is beyond unusual to acknowledge your choice needs guardrails and is likely to test the rules and norms if given power.

“I know what I’m going to get,” McIver said. “I know he will fix the border and work on the economy.”

UyBS.gif

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I think it's still a good move, no matter the age, to ask the family for permission.  It's a worthless custom, but it doesn't hurt anybody and shows some respect.  When somebody asks me one day for one of my daughter's hand in marriage...I'd appreciate the gesture.  If they didn't ask, wouldn't care either.  But it shows a modicum of consideration.  

That said, I was in Manhattan a few years ago right before Covid, and ran into a bunch of Texans I knew that were in town for a MavPAC conference.  We ended up getting shitfaced drunk and some elected officials were with them.  One of whom was Tim Scott.  And after the lightweights passed out (this was when I could hold my own), it was Tim Scott, me, and another person.  And I was starving, but somehow---we were in the only part of Manhattan where you couldn't get a decent slice of pizza after midnight.  This was in the Chelsea for those of you scoring at home and know what's going on in that area.  And I said, "Damn, we gotta find some pizza before anything else to drink."  And sure as shit, Tim Scott, "Fuck the pizza and drink, let's find some dick."  /csb    So congrats on the engagement, Senator.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

These New Hampshire voters don’t love everything Trump says. But here’s why they’re planning to back him

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/22/politics/new-hampshire-trump-voters/index.html

Some highlights:

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

And:

UyBS.gif

I saw another NH guy on TV today who said his biggest issue was the border.

Why do people in a state thousands of miles away care about "the border" so much?  Especially when they live so close to Canada?

• Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think it's still a good move, no matter the age, to ask the family for permission.  It's a worthless custom, but it doesn't hurt anybody and shows some respect.  When somebody asks me one day for one of my daughter's hand in marriage...I'd appreciate the gesture.  If they didn't ask, wouldn't care either.  But it shows a modicum of consideration.  

That said, I was in Manhattan a few years ago right before Covid, and ran into a bunch of Texans I knew that were in town for a MavPAC conference.  We ended up getting shitfaced drunk and some elected officials were with them.  One of whom was Tim Scott.  And after the lightweights passed out (this was when I could hold my own), it was Tim Scott, me, and another person.  And I was starving, but somehow---we were in the only part of Manhattan where you couldn't get a decent slice of pizza after midnight.  This was in the Chelsea for those of you scoring at home and know what's going on in that area.  And I said, "Damn, we gotta find some pizza before anything else to drink."  And sure as shit, Tim Scott, "Fuck the pizza and drink, let's find some dick."  /csb    So congrats on the engagement, Senator.

So, did y'all find some dick?

He’s 58. He’s married to his second wife and has three young adult sons. He was in the Army for 22 years — he retired as a lieutenant colonel — and now he is a senior project manager for an IT security company and works from home. He lives in a classic three-bedroom house he bought almost four years ago for $485,000 that’s now worth roughly a quarter-million dollars more. He’s originally from Centralia, Illinois, a town like too many towns in the more rural interior of the country that isn’t what it was. He was born in a hospital that no longer delivers babies. His father’s gallbladder several years back broke during a snowstorm and so he couldn’t be airlifted to the closest suitable medical facility in St. Louis. “So we just watched him die,” he said. Before he voted for Trump twice, he told me, he voted for Barack Obama twice. By September of 2023, though, he was thinking he was ready for someone else and so he went to the event for Haley.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/01/22/new-hampshire-primary-voter-00136850

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I saw another NH guy on TV today who said his biggest issue was the border.

Why do people in a state thousands of miles away care about "the border" so much?  Especially when they live so close to Canada?

Because with a "porous border," Abbott and DeSantis will send browns to NH.

Tucker Motherfucking Carlson… fired from a multi-million dollar gig at Fox, Heir to the Frozen Peas Empire and now he’s relegated to doing Podcasts with internet luminaries of the likes of Catturd?  

Catturd.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Tucker Motherfucking Carlson… fired from a multi-million dollar gig at Fox, Heir to the Frozen Peas Empire and now he’s relegated to doing Podcasts with internet luminaries of the likes of Catturd?  

Catturd.

Yep. It’s way too good for a piece of shit like him. He should be doing forced hard labor and then dumped into the north Atlantic in a cage. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

On 1/22/2024 at 4:55 PM, Red Five said:

It's really amazing to witness the selfishness of these people. 

"So you're going to risk American democracy and vote for the guy who tried a coup last time around?"

"Yeah. I'd like to pay a little less for groceries." 

It's also just stupid as hell from a purely self-centered standpoint. A double whammy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

It's also just stupid as hell from a purely self-centered standpoint. A double whammy.

and there is no guarantee anything will be cheaper under Trump. in fact, the opposite will be true. at least for you and me and anyone not an oligarch.

On 1/22/2024 at 5:55 PM, Red Five said:

It's really amazing to witness the selfishness of these people. 

"So you're going to risk American democracy and vote for the guy who tried a coup last time around?"

"Yeah. I'd like to pay a little less for groceries." 

"I really enjoyed life when my wife was handling the books and  put 8 trillion dollars on our credit card.  But now, all that debt has kinda made things a bit more uncomfortable, so I think I will put her back in charge of our finances!"  

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/21/2024 at 5:41 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump can draw decent crowds at his rallies but I assume that 75% of his rallies are these crazies that follow him around the country like groupies. Maybe 25% of the crowd are locals, some of which are crazy.

So like a less boring Grateful Dead tour.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2024 at 8:00 PM, TexEx15 said:

Are they doing this because there aren’t enough workers?  If only there was a mass of people that wanted to come to our country and work jobs for a better life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1