The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

14 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

How the fuck did he win? Wasn't his district one of the districts pinpointed after the 2016 election as a future win for Dems? Similar to the district Collin Allred eventually won in Dallas. I know a couple of Texas Exes ran in the democratic primary for his district with Sri ultimately being the winner of that primary. 

Easy. Read Below:

Congressional District Map

Map of Texas's 22nd Congressional District, TX

Ft. Bend County Map:
Map of Fort Bend County, TX

While Sugarland has a huge minority population of Asians, and while Ft. Bend County is one of, if not the most diverse county in Texas, dont forget that this congressional map also includes most of Katy and Fulshear, which are red AF aggy havens. And while there used to be laws in place to attempt to keep congressional districts into county lines, that is no longer the case. As you can see above, that addition of that little land bridge and the chunk of Alvin, Pearland, Webster and League city...well, I'll let you guess where those political leanings lie. Pearland might be a mixed bag, but Alvin, Webster, and League City certainly are NOT. 

TL:DNR - Gerrymandering, ladies and gentlemen. Nehls won easily by more than 30k votes. 

• Like 2

Listened to Pod Save America interview Tim Miller, a gay republican never-Trumper that moved to corporate oppo research when the party left him and still felt cold.  He wrote "Why We did It" (NYT article link below), and the conversation was fascinating, if not disheartening because it essentially says all of these people that know better are following the Trump party line simply for their own personal gain and excitement (obv).  I intend to read/listen to the book here shortly, but thought I'd plug it....

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/books/review-why-we-did-it-tim-miller-republican-road-to-hell.html

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I DO NOT EVER WANT ANY ONE TO TELL ME “Well, they won’t do THAT! EVER AGAIN!

Duh.  We've told you all the horrific rollbacks of the most basic of civil and human rights and liberties that the GQP want to do.  Hell, THEY'VE told you that.  And their defenders around here keep calling us alarmist.

Bullshit.

SkeletalBronzeAcornwoodpecker-max-1mb.gi

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Listened to Pod Save America interview Tim Miller, a gay republican never-Trumper that moved to corporate oppo research when the party left him and still felt cold.  He wrote "Why We did It" (NYT article link below), and the conversation was fascinating, if not disheartening because it essentially says all of these people that know better are following the Trump party line simply for their own personal gain and excitement (obv).  I intend to read/listen to the book here shortly, but thought I'd plug it....

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/books/review-why-we-did-it-tim-miller-republican-road-to-hell.html

Yeah, it was a good interview.  Sadly, we need like 90% of the GOP to come to the same realization he did and that ain't happening.

29 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

If America fucks around in November, I have no doubt we'll soon find out that birth control, gay marriage etc. are federally banned. They won't hesitate to nuke the filibuster to do it. 

Maybe they’ll expand the scotus in 2024 to make sure the new laws stay on the books.  

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Easy. Read Below:

Congressional District Map

Map of Texas's 22nd Congressional District, TX

Ft. Bend County Map:
Map of Fort Bend County, TX

While Sugarland has a huge minority population of Asians, and while Ft. Bend County is one of, if not the most diverse county in Texas, dont forget that this congressional map also includes most of Katy and Fulshear, which are red AF aggy havens. And while there used to be laws in place to attempt to keep congressional districts into county lines, that is no longer the case. As you can see above, that addition of that little land bridge and the chunk of Alvin, Pearland, Webster and League city...well, I'll let you guess where those political leanings lie. Pearland might be a mixed bag, but Alvin, Webster, and League City certainly are NOT. 

TL:DNR - Gerrymandering, ladies and gentlemen. Nehls won easily by more than 30k votes. 

Thank would make sense if Nehls hadn't doubled Pete Olsons margin of victory over Kulkarni from 4 years prior as the district became more and more democratic leaning.

Nehls was a very well like Sherriff for many years in a very, very low crime area while he was in charge. Kulkarni's campaign idea to call Nehls a "crook"  ad campaign was a disaster and completely backfired.  Nehls also wisely accepted Trumps endorsement (quietly when not in GOP only ears) but distanced himself from Trump during the race.

The district easily could have flipped in 2020 if someone without the popularity of Nehls was the GOP candidate.  Nehls is popular and very well liked and he won going away because of it.

16 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Thank would make sense if Nehls hadn't doubled Pete Olsons margin of victory over Kulkarni from 4 years prior as the district became more and more democratic leaning.

Nehls was a very well like Sherriff for many years in a very, very low crime area while he was in charge. Kulkarni's campaign idea to call Nehls a "crook"  ad campaign was a disaster and completely backfired.  Nehls also wisely accepted Trumps endorsement (quietly when not in GOP only ears) but distanced himself from Trump during the race.

The district easily could have flipped in 2020 if someone without the popularity of Nehls was the GOP candidate.  Nehls is popular and very well liked and he won going away because of it.

Wait. So your claim is that Americans are “making sense” these days? Logical decision making is happening for 50% if the country, is it?

He will win again. I’m in this district. The democrat on the ticket doesn’t even have a campaign running. No website, FaceBook, office… nothing. Also, the district just got extended way down south and further west (more rural).
Nehls went full boot licker as soon as he set foot in DC. I hate the guy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/19/2022 at 6:41 PM, Pancho said:

This is why you always make your opponent go on record when you're in the right - which Democrats are on most issues in the view of the American public.

They might actually fuck around and get same-sex marriage codified at the Federal level. And yes, it will be annoying that the narrative will be focused on the 10-12 GOP Senators that support it if that comes to pass, not the 157 GOP House reps and ~40 Senators that didn't, but that is still a huge policy W with this court.

32 minutes ago, tchookem said:

It's like they're smart enough to know someone's getting duped, but not smart enough to know, but not smart enough to know it's them.

It's like a game of I Spy when you spy the lamp, and they're standing next to the lamp, licking it, and you're jumping up and down yelling "YOU'RE RED FUCKING HOT!!!"

"Is it China?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, tchookem said:

It's like they're smart enough to know someone's getting duped, but not smart enough to know, but not smart enough to know it's them.

I bet at least a few of those “why would anyone vote against it?  I’m a conservative and fully support it.” are some undercover moderates / sane people trying to stoke the flames of doubt in the hollowed out skulls of the stupids.  Hope it works.

• Like 1

I bet at least a few of those “why would anyone vote against it?  I’m a conservative and fully support it.” are some undercover moderates / sane people trying to stoke the flames of doubt in the hollowed out skulls of the stupids.  Hope it works.
That thought crossed my mind too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, tchookem said:
2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That thought crossed my mind too.

Hell, it may be just one person using multiple accounts.  

23 minutes ago, troph said:

He’s not saying every issue should be left to the states, thank god… oh wait…

It's so bizarre to me that the talking point is to "leave rights to the states"... The last time we did that, it was not great for the country. 

58 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

atom probably saran wrapped his house when al Qaeda was going to release chemical weapons all across America.

Nope, I was bitching about why we were treating the Saudis with kid gloves, bitching about the Total Information Awareness bullshit (which is still with us, just not under one organization) - the company I worked for at the time was contacted by the government for work that we all knew was tied into that , and how it was clear some of Bush’s folks were looking for a fight with Iraq long before we invaded   

The chemical weapons bullshit was partly an overreach by some feds, partly an attack on general aviation by a few groups, and partly some commercial aviation groups looking to try and deflect or spread blame and publicity.

American government was far more of a danger to us than Al Qaeda was at that point when Fox News started trying to scare us with crop dusters full of chemical weapons.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's so bizarre to me that the talking point is to "leave rights to the states"... The last time we did that, it was not great for the country. 

They won’t leave separation of (Christian fascist) church and state issues to the state you watch.